Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jun 2014 at 7:51 PM
Will this run TS4?
My current laptop has decided to die. I am looking into getting this laptop: See specs here
. Will it run the Sims 4 (and hopefully expansions)? If so, would it run them at high/ultra graphics settings?
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 12:33 PM
4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4500U mobile processor is apparently only 1.8ghz which isn't that great. CPU is important, and you'll want something more like 2.0ghz - 2.5ghz probably to play TS4. Although upon looking into the dedicated graphics chip, it seems like a good one. CPU though is still crappy.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 1:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Saturnfly
4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4500U mobile processor is apparently only 1.8ghz which isn't that great. CPU is important, and you'll want something more like 2.0ghz - 2.5ghz probably to play TS4. Although upon looking into the dedicated graphics chip, it seems like a good one. CPU though is still crappy.

The i7 I was looking at says it's 2.4ghz with "turbo boost" up to 3.2- would that work? Same specs otherwise. I'm double checking the info on the graphics card- in store they said it was updated but they did not have the info printed on the little info card to confirm.

My other question- if expansion packs come out (which is obviously very likely) how would that effect these specs? Would I need a different amount of Ram/Memory or would this be able to run all of them?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 10:39 PM
I'm not familiar with the turbo thing, but I agree with saturn, that CPU seem a bit slow for modern games. But it's only a guess. Regarding ram and video, it seems to be fine though.

"Ride to live, live to ride...wheels of fire, forever!!!!!!!!!"
Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by metalfenix
I'm not familiar with the turbo thing, but I agree with saturn, that CPU seem a bit slow for modern games. But it's only a guess. Regarding ram and video, it seems to be fine though.

I haven't been able to find anything similar with any faster CPU unless I want to spend closer to $2k. :/
Are there any specifics I should look for in a laptop other than Ram/Memory/CPU speed?

And what about space for EPs and CC?
Inventor
#6 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 6:30 AM
I've also got no clue about the turbo thingy, but if it actually is 2.4ghz then that laptop would probably run TS4 with very few problems.

It's always good to have a lot of space, especially because with TS4 you know there's going to be a huge bundle of expansions + as you also mentioned, CC. You'll have no problems with space with that laptop. :-) Unless you're planning on storing heaps of movies/ TV shows on it, that can take up a lot of space.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Saturnfly
I've also got no clue about the turbo thingy, but if it actually is 2.4ghz then that laptop would probably run TS4 with very few problems.

It's always good to have a lot of space, especially because with TS4 you know there's going to be a huge bundle of expansions + as you also mentioned, CC. You'll have no problems with space with that laptop. :-) Unless you're planning on storing heaps of movies/ TV shows on it, that can take up a lot of space.

I don't really have tons of movies/tv shows. I do have lots of pictures and music that have accumulated over the years, but that shouldn't take up more than 100GB max (and probably not anywhere close to that once I get rid of the old stuff).

I'm mainly worried about CCs and EPs. From what I could tell by a basic search EPs could take up to about 90GB and then need about 5GB just to run. I have no idea how much space to account for with CC- but I'm going to guess it will take up quite a bit. So I don't think I really want to go any less than 1TB.
My main concern is the graphics card. I keep hearing things about DDR3 vs DDR5 and I have no idea which is best. I currently have DDR3 but my graphics card doesn't support Sims 3 and may not support S4 (hence needing a new laptop either way). I don't know if DDR5 is worth the cost or not. All I really know is DDR3 is faster for larger amounts of memory and DDR5 is faster for small amounts of graphics memory. Since I'm assuming S4 will need both, I have no clue which is better. I think most laptops come with D3 so hopefully that isn't an issue.
Scholar
#8 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 10:36 PM
Holy shit, that's the same laptop I have, but with twice the memory.

"It's said war - war never changes. Men do, through the roads they walk. And this road - has reached its end" - Ulysses, Fallout New Vegas
If you love Fallout and literacy, you'll ABSOLUTELY love my roleplay group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/127063690973781/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Jul 2014 at 12:00 AM
After reading some reviews on the laptop I originally posted and reading some on other models I'm leaning more towards this one. What do you think???

- 15.6” FHD 16:9 (1920x1080) Glare-Type (Glossy) IPS Touch Screen
- 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700HQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache) (SKU – X2Y914)
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU (Cools better than all Compounds) (XPC Service)
- NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 850M (2.0GB) GDDR3 PCI-Express DX11 w/ Optimus™ Technology
- COPPER COOLING UPGRADE - Extra Cooling Copper Heatsinks Applied to the Heatsink/Heatpipes (XPC Service)
- 16GB DDR3 1600MHz [SKU-818EP] (Dual Channel Memory (2x8GB SODIMMS)
- 1TB 7200RPM (SATA III - 6GB/s) (SKU - HDD005)
- Slim - Blu-Ray Reader + DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive (SKU - ODD010)
- Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Dual Band Wireless-N 1202 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth 4.0 | Up to 300Mbps (2x2) (SKU - WIFI07)
- Internal 2-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC)
- Integrated Digital Video Camera
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Smart Li-ion Battery (4-Cell)
- YES - Redline Boost™ Overclock My System (Operating System Required) (XPC Service)
- No Operating System Redline Boost
- No video adapter
- WINDOWS 8.1 - 64-Bit (Pre-Installed)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 8th Jul 2014 at 2:27 AM
Do bear in mind that we have no idea what specs TS4 will need yet. So all of this - everyone's answers here - is basically guesswork.

That said, that is a nice laptop. It would run mid-range games - the graphics card isn't great but it's pretty good. You could probably scrape by with TS3+EPs on that, with the strong CPU and lotsa lovely RAM making up for the GPU a little. Does that mean it'll run TS4? Who knows! EA have said TS4 will be low-end friendly, are they talking out of their arses? Probably! Does low-end to them mean affordable to the average consumer or slightly-less-memory-leaky-than-TS3? Who knows!

TS4's EPs will increase the system requirements, all around. The pattern with TS3 has been that most EPs knock out a few more lower end graphics cards, the RAM requirement goes up significantly probably once every 3 or 4 EPs, and the CPU requirement increases relatively gradually, but you don't want to be caught out on that front because any CPU bottleneck in TS3 is HELL. TS4 may follow the same pattern, or it may not.

1TB is nice. If a lot of your current HD clutter is photos and stuff that you don't need constant access to, you could easily transfer them to an external hard drive to free up more space on your laptop. So you should be okay on space, I would imagine. It's a fast HD, which is good. If you want to insure yourself against long loading times - which have been a problem for all of the sims games - you could consider an SSD or a hybrid drive.

If you were gonna boost one thing, I'd make it the graphics card. Don't add more RAM, you don't need it.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Jul 2014 at 2:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Do bear in mind that we have no idea what specs TS4 will need yet. So all of this - everyone's answers here - is basically guesswork.

That said, that is a nice laptop. It would run mid-range games - the graphics card isn't great but it's pretty good. You could probably scrape by with TS3+EPs on that, with the strong CPU and lotsa lovely RAM making up for the GPU a little. Does that mean it'll run TS4? Who knows! EA have said TS4 will be low-end friendly, are they talking out of their arses? Probably! Does low-end to them mean affordable to the average consumer or slightly-less-memory-leaky-than-TS3? Who knows!

TS4's EPs will increase the system requirements, all around. The pattern with TS3 has been that most EPs knock out a few more lower end graphics cards, the RAM requirement goes up significantly probably once every 3 or 4 EPs, and the CPU requirement increases relatively gradually, but you don't want to be caught out on that front because any CPU bottleneck in TS3 is HELL. TS4 may follow the same pattern, or it may not.

1TB is nice. If a lot of your current HD clutter is photos and stuff that you don't need constant access to, you could easily transfer them to an external hard drive to free up more space on your laptop. So you should be okay on space, I would imagine. It's a fast HD, which is good. If you want to insure yourself against long loading times - which have been a problem for all of the sims games - you could consider an SSD or a hybrid drive.

If you were gonna boost one thing, I'd make it the graphics card. Don't add more RAM, you don't need it.

The redline boost is for the GPU. So you're saying that 8GB ram would be enough?
Instructor
#12 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 1:19 AM
I think 8 GB is fine. TS4 can only use 4 GB of ram because it's using a 32-bit executable.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 1:37 AM
If the computer you're going to get can run The Sims 3, it can run The Sims 4 too. EA said it will be easier to run TS4 than TS3