Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2014 at 7:21 PM
Default Sword Art Online Kirito's coat
I need major advice on how to improve this. I might consider uploading this if enough people know what it is or just like it and encourage me. But please help me. I suck at skinning and I really worked hard on this but it still screams horrible colors.

sorry these are so bloody small I'll come back once I download fraps.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 17th May 2014 at 4:05 PM
pictures I took using fraps.
Screenshots
The Pathfinder
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th May 2014 at 7:16 PM
This is a nice start,but it need more work - see adding highlights and shadings" tutorial.Although there are highlights,the texture still looks pretty plain.There are a lot of seams(where the front/back match up),try not using small part of pictures,then resizing them- it makes them blurry. Also do not add pure black and white anywhere,it's best to stick to dark grey/light grey
It's always best to show the outfits here without any accessory so we can see it clearly. Or is this a new mesh?
Anyway it's nice that you\re asking for help hopefully i did give you tips
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th May 2014 at 9:19 PM
the sword is part of the mesh. Thank you I will keep you updated I'm still working on these. I agree it looks rather plain but I'm not sure how to spice it up. I may also alter the mesh not sure. Mesh is very high poly.
The Pathfinder
retired moderator
#5 Old 18th May 2014 at 8:54 AM
Is is your mesh,because we have some nice tutorials on how to make it low poly. If not try finding different mesh,because there are some parts that are not nicely matched(the arms,you can see the background trough them).
About the texture - try making a plain color,then adding noise to it(not too much,but enough to create a texture),then add shading and voila !
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th May 2014 at 3:55 AM
Well the mesh that I chose to start with was already kind of high poly. But it was the closest think to what I was making. And trust me this is as low poly as I could possibly make it. I did a lot of cutting and editing. It was a huge pain. But I think the mesh is fine. What some one is seeing as background is not background it's the color green because that's what was next to the color on the coat. I was a little sloppy so it ended up showing. any how both of these recolors are history now as I have rearranged the mesh so it has two parts now. I was trying to make the UV map bigger so I could make the textures appear more clearly. They still seem a little fuzzy to me. I'm using gimp.
The Pathfinder
retired moderator
#7 Old 20th May 2014 at 7:05 AM
You mention that you based this mesh on already high poly mesh,you know that you have to credit that creator,right?
Also try uploading some textures or both files,so we can see it in milkshape/simpe as well. Also i am using gimp as well and i can say i am very pleased,so if you update something here I'll make sure to take a look and see if the uv map needs more resizing
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th May 2014 at 1:19 PM
ok get ready for some pictures. Oh and btw I never scale things up. But I noticed in gimp if you scale things down too much it can have the same effect.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th May 2014 at 1:22 PM
I also have my graphics on my PC turned all the way up to high.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th May 2014 at 1:26 PM
Here are some other closer looks at texture in game.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th May 2014 at 1:36 PM
UV maps.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th May 2014 at 1:40 PM
2nd uv

I have more pictures to post but I have to transfer them from my desktop to my laptop yet.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th May 2014 at 1:51 PM
lets see if I Can squeeze these last two textures in here.

I realize the shoes and gloves need work but I'm still making changes to the mesh.

Ps this is based off and in game mesh I rarely if ever use some one else,s work.
Screenshots
The Pathfinder
retired moderator
#14 Old 20th May 2014 at 9:55 PM
Good,but can't you upload the mesh/texture files from saved sims folder ?This will ease our work and there'll be no need for so many pictures
As far as i can see-the texture is nice and crisp,so no need for making it any bigger. I'd suggest you to remove all pure black and use dark color instead,this will immediately make the texture more realistic. The wings appear blurry,but could be if you did not edit the bump map(if available) when making the pics
Also just as i mentioned above - we do not approve pure black/white textures- so try easing the accessory's texture a bit
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st May 2014 at 1:14 AM Last edited by doorknob : 21st May 2014 at 5:30 PM.
Um Yeah I kind of already re worked this again since last time. I already changed the UV maps so that the body could be on one map and the rest on the other map;. Because I always keep a back up of all my separate groups this wasn't a problem. I also had to re start the texture again since posting those pictures so they are useless now. Thank you about the pure black I will see what I can do since the coat is suppose to be black. I've also eliminated some of the extra things on the texture. I'm thinking about dropping the belt all together. I'll post and upload textures later. I've been working on this all day so I need a break.

oh and I wanted to say thank you. I feel encouraged to keep trying thank you!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st May 2014 at 5:36 PM
I hate double posting but I've got two new pictures.

There is something wrong with the bump maps which I"m aware of and intend to fix. Other than that you should get a general idea of what I have.

I'll probably upload the textures later today.
Screenshots
The Pathfinder
retired moderator
#17 Old 21st May 2014 at 6:28 PM
Yeah,the bump maps are really strong. Otherwise i really want to see in in SimPE and be able to take a look at every detail And like i said above who's mesh are you using?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 21st May 2014 at 8:20 PM Last edited by doorknob : 21st May 2014 at 9:20 PM.
Oh sorry

It's my mesh.

hold on I am planning to upload soon but was having some technical difficulties so now I have to start my texture from half way finished.

I also realized that the textures on this coat are not an exact match to kirito's coat.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 22nd May 2014 at 1:00 AM
do to technical difficulties I lost the recolor from the picture so here is what I have so far....
Attached files:
File Type: zip  DKkirito.zip (2.03 MB, 186 downloads) - View custom content
The Pathfinder
retired moderator
#20 Old 22nd May 2014 at 7:35 AM
Ok just few suggestions: when making a mesh,try adding "mesh_blabla...madebyme"so people who are not creators know what do include/download
I'm seeing the mesh in Milkshape and i have to say that you have smoothed parts that needed no smoothing - by doing that edges(matching front/back)become visible. Uncheck that option in your 3d program,if you haven't already. CatofEvilGenius has some marvelous plug-ins that might help if you have troubles.
And one last thing - no need to make the accessory's texture map so big,since it's smaller that the actual body If you have nice textures,even with the smalest map they will look ok(for future projects,no need to edit this one ).
Also the mesh is not high poly !
About the texture - the white parts are very light to me and plain(i'd add some noise,making a nice texture,so they look more realistic,but that's just me). Everything elase appears good good job!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 22nd May 2014 at 8:29 PM
Thank you for all your help. I'm still a little unsure about it. I added some slight noise to the white like you suggested. Also I changed the pants and shirt a little bit because I noticed that having the same pattern as the coat seemed boring. I'm posting two more pictures. I'm still a little unsure about it.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#22 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 11:53 PM
OMFG KIRITO!!! im probably replying 2 years later but PLEASE let me download it
The Pathfinder
retired moderator
#23 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 6:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fibymoon
OMFG KIRITO!!! im probably replying 2 years later but PLEASE let me download it

This is not the place to download - see "Download" section of the site or see the creator's profile to search for the content
Test Subject
#24 Old 8th Oct 2015 at 10:21 AM
hello i just saw this, and really liked it, but is it possible to have a version without the sword on the back
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#25 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 3:46 PM
Please don't necro old posts! If the Creator hasn't uploaded it by now chances are they've moved onto something new.

Closing.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Locked thread | Locked by: KarenLorraine Reason: Old thread