Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

AnyGameStarter v. 2.1.3 (for CD/DVD games) * UPD 29 Dec 2017

by Numenor Posted 27th Sep 2007 at 9:41 AM - Updated 28th Dec 2017 at 11:28 PM by Numenor

516 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 473 Feedback Posts, 42 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 21
Test Subject
#126 Old 12th Jan 2009 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Uhm... Please do this:

- Try installing a lot by drag&drop
- When the game starts, close it
- Immediately zip your AppFiles folder
- Post here the zip when you can, and I'll examine it.

You could also try different settings such as a different resolution (fullscreen/windowed), or a different sound setting (sound on/off).
If you see that some settings work, and other don't, please let me know.

I play the game without the -r parameter btw because I want to play in 1152x864 windowed but I can't configurate this with the parameter so I removed it.

Here's the zip.

Edit: I tried it with the change of the parameters... when I set em to default as installed it works fine. That's wired.
Code:
  -w -r1024x768 -nosound
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: zip AppFiles.zip
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#127 Old 13th Jan 2009 at 12:15 AM
That's not weird. the AnyGameStarter relies on the number of parameters: if you remove one, you lose the ability to install lots by drag&drop.
It's OK to change the values of the parameters: I tried replacing the -r1024x768 with -r1152x864 and the game starts with the desired window size. You probably forgor the minus in front of the "r", or you've put a space between the "r" and the resolution.
In any case, if you really need to remove a parameter, you can do it by replacing it with: -noparam

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#128 Old 13th Jan 2009 at 10:21 AM
okay it works fine now. It seems I messed up with the resolution size when I changed the param so it didnt start in the right size. Thanks for help
Field Researcher
#129 Old 14th Jan 2009 at 10:58 AM
Great Work Numenor!

I have 2 questions: (me if they have already been answered)

1.) Can we still use the original expansion Shortcut (Apartment Life in my case) to run the regular game or do I need to go about it another way?

2.) Is there a limit to the number of Perma Games you can make? (you really don't want to know how many neighborhoods I have...)
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#130 Old 14th Jan 2009 at 5:54 PM
1) Yes, you can use the normal Maxis icon, to start the full game; you are actually supposed to use it: if you ever had the old BaseGameStarter, it created a "Full Game" icon, that is now deprecated and should not be used any more.

2) There is no limit to the number of PermaGames you can create; the only limit is the disk space
However, though I think that this will never happen, there is a limit that worth a mention. Whenever the AGS installer is started, it checks and updates (if necessary) all the existing AGS games and PermaGames up to the 16th. The "update" I'm talking about is required when you install a newer EP or you use a newer version of the AGS.
From the 17th PermaGame on, the games are not automatically updated.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Field Researcher
#131 Old 15th Jan 2009 at 12:25 AM
Woopie! That's great news Numenor! I think the lack of the "full game" icon is what confused me.

And as for the 16 auto-update of the perma games, even I don't think I'd need that many. I have 26-ish neighborhoods that I think will fit into about 6 or 7 perma games. Most of them are RARed at the moment because I was trying to sort them out. THANK YOU for pointing out that you could use a perma game for a Legacy only game, otherwise this may not have occurred to me. I only have two but never play them because I get lazy and I don't want to have to swap out the conflicting neighborhood numbers and my 13,000+ downloads folder. Also I was thrilled to realize that I can have different default custom skin sets for each perma game, and I love that!

*runs around like a little girl singing "Numenor is the best, we should shower him in little huggy Sims! Weeee!"*

~Corsetcrush
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#132 Old 15th Jan 2009 at 12:10 PM
Remember that each AnyGame and PermaGames uses its own global replacements, unless the global replacements are installed in the PROGRAM folders! Everything installed in the Program folder (such as, for example, the Radiance mods, or catalog-fix mods etc.) is shared between all the games (full-, any- and perma-games).

Banned
#133 Old 18th Jan 2009 at 5:49 PM
Thank you for this Numenor! This is great. I want to make some lots for here that require base game.

I do have a question though.
Sorry if you put this somewhere but...
Can I install just the BGS and make my lots then unistall it without any harm to my original game? I have all EP's and SP's and I dont want them to be affected in any way.

Thank you for your time!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#134 Old 18th Jan 2009 at 11:20 PM
Installing and uninstalling the AGS doesn't affect the full game in any way, don't worry about this Of course, uninstalling the AGS deletes all the AnyGames, so be sure to move the sims2pack files (containing the exported lots) to a safe place before uninstalling the AGS.

Banned
#135 Old 19th Jan 2009 at 2:57 AM
Ok thank you!
Forum Resident
#136 Old 20th Jan 2009 at 9:52 PM
Hi Numenor
I have exported a lot file of 63302 kb from an AGS neighborhood: when I click on this sims2ack file an errore message pop up.. do you know anyhing about this?

I create for my amusement. I share for -I hope!- yours :)
Enjoy and ... Happy simming!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#137 Old 21st Jan 2009 at 8:17 AM
What message? Are trying to open the sims2pack with the Maxis installer or the Clean Installer?
The sims2pack created by the AGS are not different than the ones created by the full game...

Forum Resident
#138 Old 21st Jan 2009 at 10:12 PM
What message? Are trying to open the sims2pack with the Maxis installer or the Clean Installer?
The sims2pack created by the AGS are not different than the ones created by the full game...

the first strange thing is that my syste ask me if I want to open with Internet Explorer or Clean Installer - Maxis Installer is not mentioned; the second one is the message I attach (this is a problem I have now, after having formatted and reinstalled the game - never had before) and the pack opens the same, but people told me the file is corrupted)

I m leaving for work - I will be back here on this week end, I think
Screenshots

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#139 Old 22nd Jan 2009 at 2:12 AM
The system shouldn't ask to select one program to open the sims2pack: it should automatically start the default program. Therefore, it's not strange that the Maxis installer is not mentioned, after you installed the Clean Installer; what is odd, is the mention of Internet Explorer...
What happens if you simply double-click on the sims2pack?

As for the error, I don't know why the Clean Installer can't read your sims2pack; which EP were contained in the AGS game that you created the lot with?

Forum Resident
#140 Old 24th Jan 2009 at 11:40 AM
The system shouldn't ask to select one program to open the sims2pack: it should automatically start the default program. Therefore, it's not strange that the Maxis installer is not mentioned, after you installed the Clean Installer; what is odd, is the mention of Internet Explorer...
What happens if you simply double-click on the sims2pack?

As for the error, I don't know why the Clean Installer can't read your sims2pack; which EP were contained in the AGS game that you created the lot with?

You're right, just with 'Open with'. If I click directly Clean Installer opens, but before formatting, despite my system messes up, maxis installer opened. the eps and sps used are UNI NL OFB PETS SEASON FT GLS CEL and I built the lot and exported it before formatting - no problem until then. I had to replace some obects because they were updated after formatting so I think the best thing to do is saving what I have to save and uninstalling/reinstalling all, as it seems to be not an AGS problem but game's - do you have any suggestion can save me from this?

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#141 Old 24th Jan 2009 at 6:14 PM
Once, I had to reinstalled everything (quite long ago, the AGS didn't exist back then) and then I had some (played) lots that crashed my game when entering them. I never found a reason or a solution for that. I had to reinstall the lots using the old versions posted here at MTS2, and they worked.
I understand that your problem is slightly different, but I can't suggest any solution, sorry.

Test Subject
#142 Old 24th Jan 2009 at 11:20 PM Last edited by simgurl1235 : 24th Jan 2009 at 11:27 PM.
hi, i can't install mine, when i double clicked on the installer in winRAR, it said to use the standard or BGS installer versions, but when i click on any of the installers in my start menu, it says the shortcut has been changed or move and that the shortcut won't work correctly and it asks me if i want to delete the shortcut. can anyone tell me what to do, i'm completely lost. i really want the legacy body shop and i heard this is the only way i could get it.
Forum Resident
#143 Old 24th Jan 2009 at 11:53 PM
thank you for your attention, in any case

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#144 Old 25th Jan 2009 at 12:05 AM
Simgurl - This happens because you double-click on the AGS installer while it is still into the RAR: you must extract the installer from the RAR, before double-clicking it.

Test Subject
#145 Old 25th Jan 2009 at 3:38 PM
I seem to be having some issue with the AGS. It installed fine, but after creating the game with the eps/sps that I wanted it won't finish loading anymore. After it plays the video intro part thing I get "Not responding", and I've tried several times. Should I try uninstalling?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#146 Old 25th Jan 2009 at 4:21 PM
The first time you run an AGS game, especially if you created a "Standard Game", the game takes a while to create the neighborhood, thumbnails, sims, pets etc. If your computer is not lightning fast, it may take up to 10 minutes (the first time only!)

Test Subject
#147 Old 25th Jan 2009 at 4:46 PM
Thanks!

It worked now...I guess I just have Zero patience (it took less than 2 minutes-oh do I feel stupid).
Scholar
#148 Old 25th Jan 2009 at 5:36 PM
I have all EP's up to AL. I created a UpToPets game to test a mod. The mod for test is Lot Full Of Sims by ancient highway. I noticed that the Downloads folder only contained the CEP and I didn't put anything in it yet.
I created 4 couples in CAS and moved them into a lot.
Even if the lot now have 8 sims I still can select Try for baby. Isn't that choise supposed to be removed from the menu in this case.

There is of course not possible to have any kids but it's still on the menu. Is it because some part of the LotFullOfSims is copied to the UpToPets game?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#149 Old 26th Jan 2009 at 12:38 AM
The only things shared between the AGS games and the full game are:
- the entire Collections folder
- the entire Config folder
- the game installation folders (i.e. Program Files\EA Games\...).

If you have installed hacks or global mods in these folders (for example: some global fixes or replacements, the Radiance lighting system, the no-censor patch, etc.), they may affect the AGS games. But anything placed in the Downloads folder of the full game is completely ignored by the AGS games.
I'm not sure to have found the "LotFullOfSims" mod you mention: by chance, is it supposed to be installed in any other folder than the Downloads?

EDIT:
I think I guessed right; this mod should include a modification of the userStartup.cheat file, which is copied by default from the full game to all the AGS games.
If you want a perfectly clean AGS game, delete the userstartup.cheat file from the AGS Config folder (not from the full game one, of course).

Scholar
#150 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 12:36 AM
The only things shared between the AGS games and the full game are:
- the entire Collections folder
- the entire Config folder
- the game installation folders (i.e. Program Files\EA Games\...).

If you have installed hacks or global mods in these folders (for example: some global fixes or replacements, the Radiance lighting system, the no-censor patch, etc.), they may affect the AGS games. But anything placed in the Downloads folder of the full game is completely ignored by the AGS games.
I'm not sure to have found the "LotFullOfSims" mod you mention: by chance, is it supposed to be installed in any other folder than the Downloads?

EDIT:
I think I guessed right; this mod should include a modification of the userStartup.cheat file, which is copied by default from the full game to all the AGS games.
If you want a perfectly clean AGS game, delete the userstartup.cheat file from the AGS Config folder (not from the full game one, of course).

This is the mod in question and it is put in the download folder in the original game and is not in the copy.
http://www.ancienthighway.net/cs/vi...c.php?f=12&t=45

But no, the modification of the cheat file is only needed if you like to move in sims from the neighborhood. I never used it. I checked the cheat file anyway but there is only the disabling of the boolprop cheat. On the ancient link you see a list of overridden BHAVS. It seems like the "Pregnancy - Can We Get Pregnant (7FD46CD0 - 0x0139)" is copied over too.

I will test to create a new UpToPets game without the mod loaded.
Page 6 of 21