Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Apr 2008 at 4:39 AM
Default My First Package File!... doesnt look right in game =( Please take a look:
I suppose I should have started with something easier... but I'm in my second semester of 3d modeling classes and I wanted to make something nice so I cloned the flat screen TV and built a console around it. Here is what it looks like in Maya:

And here is what it looks like in game:

Here is what I *think* is happening:

The console part of the object is actually there in the game but it's invisible because the texture that was supposed to be applied to it got applied to the original TV mesh instead. Since the console doesn't have a texture it can't been seen, but I can actually grab the invisible console in the game way above where the visible object ends (does that make sense?).

I can't figure out how to 1) add a texture to the console part of the mesh inside the package file and 2) get rid of the original TV because the console already contains the TV with it and 3) It would be kinda nice if the TV/Console actually worked with animations and stuff but right now I'm just trying to get it to show up correctly.

I'm attaching the package file if any kind soul would be willing to take a look at it for me =) If you need anything else like the original texture file or object file ect. please let me know. Thanks!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  CenterTvConsole.rar (645.0 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 11th Apr 2008 at 8:17 AM
Hi Gwenchanter,

I'm at work now so can't check your file directly, but I wanted to ask whether you've completed JWoods' Start to Finish Object Meshing tutorial? Just from what you've written, it seems as though you missed a step in replacing the original mesh with the one you've created. I've found that I sometimes forget a step (maybe Fix Integrity?) when I bring in the new mesh and end up with the same result you have.

Someone smarter than I will no doubt be able to help more, but when I'm done working I'll take a look at your file if your problem is not solved by then.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Apr 2008 at 9:03 AM
Yes, that was the tutorial I used. I remember selecting "replace" when I imported my new mesh, in fact I did it twice because in the preview window, the old TV was still there and I couldn't understand why, but the new mesh was also there so I thought maybe that was normal. I would apprechiate it if you can take a look at it =) Thanks.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 11th Apr 2008 at 11:30 AM
once you've hit 'replace' you need to hit 'commit' then press [ctrl-S] or 'save'

lovely looking mesh btw!
Fluffy
retired moderator
#5 Old 11th Apr 2008 at 7:42 PM
gwenchanter,
if a mesh has no texture applied to it, it'll be flashing blue in the game not invisible,
so i think ShanOw is right, here, and you might have forgotten to commit
try opening your object in SimPE and checking the preview again. If the old mesh is still there, replace it, commit and save
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Apr 2008 at 11:23 PM
Thanks ShanOw and Lethe_s I will try that!

ShanOw, thanks ! I think it turned out decent for my first Sims II mesh, and I was actually hopeing to make two bookcases that go on either side as well. If I get it all sorted out I want to try recolors too and I will of course share it if it comes out nice. I'm a little intimidated though because there are so many insanely talented people posting up downloads here!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Apr 2008 at 12:00 AM
It's not working =(. Every time I choose "replace" then import it and "commit" and then i click the preview button to take a look, It's not replaceing the TV its just adding the console on top of it. I even tried "replaceing" a few other objects and it just kept adding them and the old ones were still there. As for the textures, when I go to import textures, I don't get any choices to import a texture for my console, just the original TV parts. I wonder if something is going wrong with SimPE. I was using the most recent version but nothing was working the same as in the tutorial so I installed the version before the most recent one and at least i was able to get through the tutorial with it. I'm posting a screenshot of what I'm seeing on SimPE for you guys =(. I'm a sad panda I want this to work!!

Fluffy
retired moderator
#8 Old 12th Apr 2008 at 8:46 AM
gwenchanter,
looking at your package, i think you're missing a step when replacing,
and instead you've been adding meshes
if you'll look at your gmdc, you have a subset called 'televisionexpensive_reflective', which is the maxis mesh, with your texture on it
and then you have your mesh: tvconsole:polysurface209

the easiest way to fix this, is to go to the 'groups' tab in the gmdc, copy the name of the 'televisionexpensive_reflective' subset (click the line, and you can edit the name in the box to the right)
then delete that line (the button is right under the name box)
now click the line of your mesh, and paste 'televisionexpensive_reflective' in the name box
commit and save, and your object should be fixed

to stop this from happening, make sure to tell SimPE which subset to replace
in the import window, you'll see the dropdown menu where you check 'replace'
when you do that, a new dropdown menu should appear, where you check what subset needs to be replaced. in this case: 'televisionexpensive_reflective'
if you don't choose a target to replace, SimPE will just add the mesh to your gmdc;
Screenshots