Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 4:48 PM Last edited by Captain THPS4 : 6th Nov 2010 at 3:50 PM.
How to Place Pigeons in Your Own Neighborhoods!
Hey guys, I finally figured out how to put pigeons in our own hoods! I was just browsing the official Sims 3 forums when I came across a picture of pigeons as a CAW object in the first page of this thread. I saw the filenames for them and a lightbulb went off in my head - maybe typing those same names in the fog emitter will achieve the same effect! So I loaded up the game and tried it...eureka! It worked!

*Can someone confirm if the fog emitter comes with Late Night? For now I'm guessing Ambitions is required.*

Here's the full instructions for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, and the new commands:
1. Type testingcheatsenabledtrue.
2. Type buydebug. A new section in buy mode should open up that's symbolized by a question mark (?)
3. Click on the ? and go to the misc section. The fog emitter is a blue sphere. Shouldn't have to scroll down very far to find it.
4. Place it anywhere you feel like.
5. Hold shift and left-click on the fog emitter. Click on "Set Visual Effect..."
6. Erase the default "ep2spiritfog" and replace it with one of the following commands:

ep3pigeonstandingone
ep3pigeonwalkingthree
ep3pigeonstandingthree
ep3pigeonwalkingfive
ep3pigeonstandingfive

Voila! You don't even need to wait for the pigeons appear, they pop up the very instant you hit the enter key after typing in the command without even going into live mode. Now here's some proof that will hopefully bring a few laughs as well!

A short video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS8Ze-RzmVc

ZOMG! Pigeon invasion!

Randy O'Donnell approves!

Since there are options to have the pigeons just stand there, this means we should be able to have pigeons perched on ledges, fountain sides and whatnot. The three pigeons behind Randy are standing ones. Have fun!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 4:55 PM
Wish they could be animated.
Inventor
#3 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 4:56 PM
Yay! Pigeons! Thank you for this.

kittens!
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 5:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nicketti
Wish they could be animated.

They are! They walk around (if you use the walking commands) and make croo-croo noises.

The lack of pigeon spawners was one of my big annoyances with this EP so I'm ecstatic to have found the solution (mostly) myself. Having them appear through the fog emitter is actually better anyway, since spawners have a big circular area where it's a bit more difficult to control exactly where the bugs/gems/metal appear.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 5:30 PM
Good find Capt! I love the pigeons (not in real life, they're a bit manky).
The other one
#6 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 7:01 PM
Does this mean that anything new (effects at least) in CAW can be generated by the fog emitter using the same codes found in CAW? I've not even updated my CAW yet, might have to have a look around.
Quote: Originally posted by el_flel
Good find Capt! I love the pigeons (not in real life, they're a bit manky).

Urgh, agreed! They're disgusting. Well, scrawny, scabby, disease ridden, deformed footed city ones are. Them and sea gulls....filthy scrounging sky rats!

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Forum Resident
#7 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 7:31 PM
Oh come on, seagulls screeching at 6am is supposed to be wonderful, seaside memory. Until you live somewhere where they perch outside your window and do it every frickin morning all summer long! Still, they're quieter than the ravens. Even my cats are afraid of ravens and they're indoor cats

Now we need a modder to mesh up some ducks out of these :lovestruc Can't wait for work to end so I can try the pigeons out myself. I think my sims need some in their backyard. Good job Captain!

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
The other one
#8 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 7:40 PM
Yeah, I have some sweet chilhood memories of having fish n chips with the family down at the harbour and seagull squak (or whatever they do) is part of it but these days they're all so bloody cocky they'll come and grab food right out your hand when you're not even offering it! Nobody/thing messes with my chips!

Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 9:41 PM
Oh, what an inventive cookie you are, Captain! Great find and thanks. The parks in my game will be alive with pigeons.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 12:46 AM
Thank you so very much! I'm now able to have pigeons on my penthouse sky garden! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! ^^
Mad Poster
#11 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 1:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
Does this mean that anything new (effects at least) in CAW can be generated by the fog emitter using the same codes found in CAW? I've not even updated my CAW yet, might have to have a look around.

Urgh, agreed! They're disgusting. Well, scrawny, scabby, disease ridden, deformed footed city ones are. Them and sea gulls....filthy scrounging sky rats!
Tell me about it! I've lived by the sea all my life, I'm sure my brother got his cornish pasty nicked by one once. Pigeons and seagulls are so brazen, it's like they think they're human or something.
Theorist
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 6:35 AM
Thanks for all the comments! The downtown portion of my hood is looking a bit more alive now. Whoever it was that came up with the idea of putting pigeons in LN deserves a huge pat on the back. I second the request for more types of birds! I wouldn't be surprised if EA includes sparrows, seagulls, and ducks swimming in ponds with later EPs. Hopefully we will get small animals like squirrels and raccoons too! :D

After more experimenting I found that we're not completely limited to the numbers of pigeons seen in the CAW picture. It's possible to have one standing by itself:

For some odd reason typing two didn't do anything. Also, you have to make sure you place the pigeons on really flat ground or else this happens. They can almost sink neck deep from what I've seen!
The other one
#13 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 9:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by el_flel
Tell me about it! I've lived by the sea all my life, I'm sure my brother got his cornish pasty nicked by one once. Pigeons and seagulls are so brazen, it's like they think they're human or something.

Thievin Seagull vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqy9hxhUxK0

Last year when I was living in London I actually punched a pigeon in the face. I only meant to shoo it away but I was secretly a little pleased that I was accidentally too fast for it (mwahahahaha!), the cheeky b#@%ard had actually landed on my shoulder to get at what I was eating

Captain perhaps you already know but it's possible to get rats with the fog emitter. Fom memory I think the code is just simply "rat" or "rats". I've seen other animals listed on the fog emitter code list but never bothered to try them. I think they mentioned geese or ducks but I'd guss it only spawns bird formations in the sky.

Theorist
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 11:15 AM
That's one of my favorite videos ever, I actually like the amusement seagulls provide sometimes.

Yep I know about the rat command, though for some reason when I tried it a month or two ago it didn't work. I have the full effects list on my desktop so maybe I'll just give it another go and see what happens. I forgot there's supposed to be one for fireflies which I'll have to try too. I've also been trying to get that effect from when a sim transforms another into a vampire (the swirling bats) but no dice. That one's probably not found in CAW.
Theorist
#15 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 1:15 PM Last edited by tizerist : 5th Nov 2010 at 1:30 PM.
Well found Captain. This is a very good find.
Quote: Originally posted by Captain THPS4
Yep I know about the rat command, though for some reason when I tried it a month or two ago it didn't work.

Quite alot of the effects take place slightly below floor level. Its recommended to use a small OMSP to make the rats show.
Unfortunately though, even using the lowest OMSP I could find, the rats still appear half a foot above the ground. Tricky to implement.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
The other one
#16 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 5:01 PM
I dunno what an OMSP is but I always just create a little pointy hill, place the fog emitter then flatten the hill (can't remember, you might have to use constrainfloorelevation false) and the emitter stays elevated in mid air. Then when you've tested the code you wanna use just adjust the ground to the right height. Of course this is no help whatsoever in apartments

I used a code for rats a couple of months ago on my Clinic upload and it worked fine. It only shows one or two I think and it/they scoot around randomly and very quickly (I seem to remember they spawn randomly too so you might not be able to guess where they'll appear - though it will be within about the same radius as a spawner circle) then dissapear for a few seconds. Is it possible you just missed them?

Mad Poster
#17 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 5:10 PM
He is an evil genius. Good taste too, cheese Doritos are delicious.

Last year when I was living in London I actually punched a pigeon in the face. I only meant to shoo it away but I was secretly a little pleased that I was accidentally too fast for it (mwahahahaha!), the cheeky b#@%ard had actually landed on my shoulder to get at what I was eating
Now this made me literally LOL.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 5:16 PM
I forgot there's supposed to be one for fireflies which I'll have to try too.

Yup, there's one, simple type "fireflies" when configurating the fog emitter. I use it a lot on buildmode. Fireflies only appear at twilight and disappear at dawn. There are great! ^^
Theorist
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 8:59 AM Last edited by Captain THPS4 : 6th Nov 2010 at 9:45 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Well found Captain. This is a very good find.

Quite alot of the effects take place slightly below floor level. Its recommended to use a small OMSP to make the rats show.
Unfortunately though, even using the lowest OMSP I could find, the rats still appear half a foot above the ground. Tricky to implement.

Oh so that's why it's so strange! When I played again last night I tried "rat" and a rat appeared for a few seconds and then disappeared. I could still hear it squeaking so I thought the rat was supposed to pull a ninja after a few seconds and not be permanent. I didn't think EA was smart enough to make the fireflies only appear at dusk and dawn, no wonder why I wasn't successful when I tried that command both in broad daylight and in total darkness.

OMSPs are tiny surfaces that match the height of certain surfaces (beds, dressers, counters etc.) and meant to be turned invisible to create the illusion of having more spaces on your surfaces for decorations. Here's an example http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=407165

It's kind of odd how I can have just one pigeon standing, but trying to have one walking doesn't work. I'm not sure if we can have numbers higher than five but five is probably enough. I don't think I can look at pigeons the same way ever again.
Theorist
Original Poster
#20 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 3:43 PM
I'm not sure...I'm hoping someone with Late Night but not Ambitions can confirm this soon so I can update my info.

Here's an attempt at placing pigeons on one of the apartment shells:

Not perfect, but I'll live with it. Since this building is by the beach I placed a separate fog emitter for seagulls near the top of it and it really adds to the atmosphere. The seagulls' squawking is a bit too constant at times though.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 4:50 PM
I placed some pigeons near a hot tub and when they walk through it, it looks like they are swimming. It looks very normal, with their little feet paddling instead of walking. They walk through the edge of the tub though.

I don't think this will work for the pool unless it is raised slightly. They would probably walk on water instead.

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Theorist
#22 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 4:54 PM
Has anyone ever tried to add a modded effect to a fog emitter? I'm thinking of chicken farms.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#23 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 7:23 PM
Is there a list that lets someone know all the effects the fog emitter do? I never really tried it before.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Inventor
#24 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 7:54 PM
Hey guys, I finally figured out how to put pigeons in our own hoods! I was just browsing the official Sims 3 forums when I came across a picture of pigeons as a CAW object in the first page of this thread. I saw the filenames for them and a lightbulb went off in my head - maybe typing those same names in the fog emitter will achieve the same effect! So I loaded up the game and tried it...eureka! It worked!

ep3pigeonstandingone
ep3pigeonwalkingthree
ep3pigeonstandingthree
ep3pigeonwalkingfive
ep3pigeonstandingfive

Voila! You don't even need to wait for the pigeons appear, they pop up the very instant you hit the enter key after typing in the command without even going into live mode. Now here's some proof that will hopefully bring a few laughs as well!

ZOMG! Pigeon invasion!

Since there are options to have the pigeons just stand there, this means we should be able to have pigeons perched on ledges, fountain sides and whatnot. The three pigeons behind Randy are standing ones. Have fun!

Now all you need to do is add a collection of rubber duckies and create a Bert and Ernie and you're set!
Inventor
#25 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 8:01 PM

Makes me wonder if seagulls are beginning to evolve upwards in intelligence, but I doubt they'll ever be as smart as crows. Or will they?
Page 1 of 2