Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#176 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 10:58 PM
All of my BHAVS are like function main and function init and stuff like that, no interaction teach or scan
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#177 Old 23rd Jul 2008 at 12:11 AM
The interactions are in the semi-globals, you have to import them, like you had to import text lists and pie menus in this tutorial. They're getting called from the TTAB.
Theorist
#178 Old 29th Jul 2008 at 5:36 AM
Echo, how do you add a new pie menu to the destination? I mean like when you click on the ground you get "walk here" and "run here", I want to add a new option, can it be done?

Thanks in advance
Lab Assistant
#179 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 12:50 AM
Hi Echo! This is a great tutorial! It helped me a lot, I could make the hula dance painting without any conflict.

However; how can I make a Sim to build a skill with a custom interaction?, for example I want my Sims to build Logic skill while playing the videogame console. So I added a practice interaction to the pie menu but it's not working! Whenever my Sims get to practice they just play but don't gain any skill. I'm attaching my package in case you (or someone else with more knowledge than me) can help me. Thanks in advance.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  VideoGameConsole.zip (7.5 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content

Visit my new site: Sims MX
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#180 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 10:35 AM Last edited by Echo : 30th Jul 2008 at 10:46 AM.
treeag - I think what you're after is the "Destination" object. It should show up somewhere in the Object Workshop. It has the pie menu for places sims can click on and go to.

Richi - Glad it worked for you! Well done getting the painting working. Regarding the attached file, the first thing I notice is that you've got the groups set up to override base game objects? Is that what you're aiming for, or was that an accident? The second thing is that the "Interaction - Practice" is a really complicated BHAV... It's also referencing some globals which I don't have, so I'm guessing two things from that - firstly, that you've copied this BHAV from another object, and that you've got an EP which I don't have installed? Can you give me a bit more information about how you got to this point?
Theorist
#181 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 12:33 PM
Thanks And when I clone it, should I check "set custom group ID", "fix cloned files" or leave them unchecked? Also, do I have to assign a new GUID? Sorry for the stupid questions .
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#182 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 1:48 PM
Nope, you'd want to create an override package, so you want to keep the existing group and instance IDs, then delete anything you don't actually want to change from the package (which would be pretty much everything except for the TTAB and TTAs). Then any new BHAVs you add need to be added to the same group as the existing ones in that package, but with different instance numbers so they don't accidentally override the existing ones.
Lab Assistant
#183 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
Regarding the attached file, the first thing I notice is that you've got the groups set up to override base game objects? Is that what you're aiming for, or was that an accident?

I want it to override the original console as I do not want to have two game consoles in my game.

The second thing is that the "Interaction - Practice" is a really complicated BHAV... It's also referencing some globals which I don't have, so I'm guessing two things from that - firstly, that you've copied this BHAV from another object, and that you've got an EP which I don't have installed? Can you give me a bit more information about how you got to this point?

I got all EPs and SPs up to IKEA, except for TSS. Well, first I tried copying the BHAV from Numenor's gaming system which has the options to practice, ask for lessons and offer lessons but it didn't worked.

Then I tried with the SimSanto Biotech Station as it has almost the same options (ask for/offer lessons, practice) but it didn't worked. So I tried to mix both and ended in this.

The only thing I want is to have an option so my Sims can practice (build logic) in the game console.

Hope you can help me with this information. Thanks in advance.

P.S: I'm attaching Numenor's gaming system which I took the BHAVs from.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  GamingSystemPractice.zip (183.7 KB, 15 downloads) - View custom content

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#184 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 11:05 AM
Richi - BHAVs aren't really self-contained files that can be copied direct from one object to another. They link to lots of things, and a lot of things link to them, and if any one of those things isn't in the right place, or called the right thing, then it won't work. Numenor's gaming system has a lot of BHAVs that yours doesn't, and they're using different instance IDs so you can't just copy them as is, you'd have to reconnect them using different instances.

Perhaps a better way to approach this is to think about what you need sims to do in order to have them gain skill while playing, then write a BHAV of your own. You can look at how Numenor (and others) have gotten skilling to work, and use those same techniques in a BHAV that specifically caters to your need? There's a tutorial on adding skilling to an object which doesn't have it here if that helps:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=222531
Lab Assistant
#185 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 5:19 PM
Thanks for your help!

There's a tutorial on adding skilling to an object which doesn't have it here if that helps:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=222531

I'll try this and let you know if it works or not!

Test Subject
#186 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 7:17 AM
Hi Echo,

I finally got my object I've been working on to work exactly how I want, boosting aspirations and motives, and proper autonomous use, but now I have a couple other problems.

When 2 sims try to use the object at the same time it throws out an error message about undefined transitions... I'm not sure what this means.

I did follow your other tutorial, "Making a better interaction - Entries, exits, skills and motives" and added the entry and exit, along with the code for making the object "in use".

One other issue I've been having is with the "wait for notify".

When I tell the sim to use the object, the sim stays until one of two events occur; either I tell the sim to stop or the sim's Social motive drops down to 50. Even if I try to tell the sim to do something else, it won't until it is released from the current interaction. This works perfectly when directed by me to use the object.

However, when the sim uses it autonomously, any little thing will cause the sim to stop. Shouldn't the "wait for notify" prevent this from happening?

Since each of these issues is covered in two different tutorials, I figured I would post both issues in one thread, instead of making 2 seperate posts. I hope this is okay.

I'm including the object I'm working on (a modified version of xanathon's borg alcove) and the most recent error log. If you could take a look and maybe give me an idea of where to adjust the code, I would really appreciate it.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  xanathon_upinout_NewBorgAlcove_080108.zip (227.8 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  ObjectError_N001_t161307.zip (11.0 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content

If you don't have a plan, the plan won't work...
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#187 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 8:14 AM
Okay, the error message is most likely because your first line "Go To Relative Position" points to "Error" if it fails. That means that if the sim can't route to the necessary position (for example, there's another sim in the way!), then you'll get an undefined transition error. Make that target point to false and the sims will stop erroring.

Not sure about your autonomy problem though... I'm pretty sure Wait for Notify also manages autonomous actions, but I haven't had to test that for a good while now so I may be wrong. When your sims are stopping, is it a controlled stop or an error ('jump bug') stop?
Test Subject
#188 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 9:00 AM Last edited by upinout : 4th Aug 2008 at 4:20 AM. Reason: a new question
Okay, the error message is most likely because your first line "Go To Relative Position" points to "Error" if it fails.

And now that you pointed that out, I feel like such a dope for not seeing it in the first place. :P

I really have to remember to read through the lines and think them through logically to catch those little things. I was always afraid of programming, but these last 3 days have actually been a lot of fun.

Thanks so much for your help with this.

I almost forgot to answer your question, I think it's a controlled stop. I haven't received any errors when it happens.

Add another command to the loop, just after the idle. Set this command to opcode 0x0119, which is the global "Wait For Notify"..........This one is making the statement "I need to stop looping". If this is true, then the BHAV will follow the green line. If this is false, then the red line will be followed."

So according to your tutorial, if the wait for notify sees that the user has cancelled the interation, it will return true, and *should* follow the true path in the code.... And not just stop the interaction in it's tracks, right?

When I cancel the interaction before it comletes, the sim doesn't do what the code says it should do. In the code, I have the wait for notify's true path set to make the sim walk away from the alcove and release it from being "in use".

Yet when I test the alcove in the game, If I cancel the interaction, the sim does stop using the alcove, but they just stay in it, and it becomes unusable (it stays in use). So the Walk away and standard exit commands aren't getting called when the action is cancelled...

I have testing cheats turned on, but I'm not getting any errors.

do I maybe need to adjust the operands in the wait for notify command?

If so, What do "ticks" and "allow push" mean?

*Edit 2*

I just figured out why I was having an issue with the wait for notify.. and it had nothing to do with that command, it was the command I had it linked to that was the problem. So nevermind

If you don't have a plan, the plan won't work...
The Attack Cat
retired moderator
#189 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 11:39 PM
Thanks Echo this is just what i needed. I've been looking for one ever since i could create an object.
Theorist
#190 Old 19th Aug 2008 at 3:35 PM
A quick and I believe stupid question again here, Echo. Sorry for bothering you again and again...

Can you activate cheats from BHAVs? What I'm trying to do is to activate a bunch of cheats for story telling (e.g debug mode, snapobjectstogrid, allow45degreeangleofrotation, moveobjects on, plumbbobtoggle off, showheadlines off, etc) at once and deactivate them. Is this possible at all?

Thanks in advance.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#191 Old 20th Aug 2008 at 1:18 AM
No, not really. A few things can be done (speeding up/slowing down time for example,) but that's mostly co-incidental. Cheats and BHAVs are managed by completely different parts of the code.
Theorist
#192 Old 20th Aug 2008 at 9:29 AM
Ok thanks a lot I did find the ones about the time but no references at all about the cheats . Thanks for answering
Test Subject
#193 Old 6th Dec 2008 at 10:48 AM Last edited by Hydromancerx : 6th Dec 2008 at 11:06 AM.
I have been following the tutorial but am stuck when it comes to adding a BHAV. You see rather than using a painting i used a rug. because i want to have an invisible rug that will do animations based upon what you click on the pie menu. Such as "Mine" would use the digging hole animation and would gain body skill and maybe give money as well.

Anywho I got through Part 1 and went in game to test my rug to see if it had an additional menu. And it did but when you click on it to "View" or "My New Interaction" they never let you X out the viewing.

I am guessing its because the rug has no BHAV or BCON. How do I get one into my rug object?

If its not possible how do i get an object to have non-collision like rugs which can be set under other objects and is flat? Because i want to use this spot with other objects such as if i had it do mining i would place it near a rock or something or if for chop tree (if i can find an animation that fits) i would put it near a tree.

Please help. I am new to the whole adding pie menus to objects.

EDIT: I am guessing you can add it the same way you added the pie menu parts. Do I go to "Import Semi Globals" and add them? If so which ones?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#194 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 7:52 AM
Hi Hydromancer!

First thing I'll say is that it really, really is best if the first time you do a tutorial, you do it exactly as described. It'll only take a couple of hours, but you'll be able to get through to the end without too many problems. Once you've done that, you'll be better equipped to improvise around other issues like the ones you're having now.

Now, I'm a little bit confused. After you cloned the rug, did you import the semi-globals from the Rugs semi-globals, or from the Paintings semi-globals? The reason importing the pie menu works here is that you start with a rug, then imported rug semi-globals. If you start with a rug, you should really import rug semi-globals.

Finally, if you're talking about Maxis rugs, I'd strongly recommend not using them as a base for anything. They're strangely constructed and very hard to use as a modding base. Use a large statue instead and set the "can walk" flags so sims can walk over it. If it's going to be invisible, it doesn't really matter what it looked like when you cloned it, eh?
Test Subject
#195 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 3:56 AM
@ Echo

Yeah I figured that and plan on following the tutorial as is 1st.

The rug had no simi-globals when i cloned the object and then I imported the semi globals of the painting when i followed it. I also noticed it had a lot of other things not described in your tutorial. I am guessing they are related to other expansions such as Free Time having the sim assess the picture and from Pet such as chew/scratch the picture. I took those out as i was following the tutorial so they would match.

This is good to know since I was 1st considering using a sculpture as a base object like the meshing/texture tutorials had you do. And your right it would not matter what it looked like if it was going to be an invisible spot. Plus if i ever wanted to ave say a place mat or some flat marker I could always export the rug mesh (if it has one) to do so.

Thanks for your response and great tutorial.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#196 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 8:35 AM
Good stuff! If you *really* need to clone a rug, use these ones:
http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=46922
They're base-game compatible, and they don't have any of the oddities involved with the Maxis rugs.
Lab Assistant
#197 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 4:01 AM
before i go ahead and start, could you tell me if this is even possible, i want to make a banquet table, that when you go to fill it up with food you get shocked by lightning that increases your motives, aspiration meter and gives aspiration points, but can only be used once a day, is this possible? is there any other information i need to know?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#198 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 5:08 AM
Yes, it is possible, although some things there are easier to do than others. I assume you have completed this tutorial already? It will set you in good stead for those other changes.
Test Subject
#199 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 6:26 AM
@Echo

Ok so I took your advice am used a vase as my base object. Following your tutorial so far everything works up to Part 4. In part 4 I put in the starting point into the operand box. It gives me a similar result in the "Instructions Settings" description but in the 3rd box nothing shows up except for 0x2(2):[prim0x006A]Animate Sim("0")

I also noticed that the red lines always showed F and not E when i put them in part 3.

When i use the object it will walk up to the vase and view it. It always faces the same direction. Thus if it is behind the face it will face opposite of the vase. How do I make it face the vase no matter which direction you click from.

I am also confused on this part ...

"Select "Text Lists (STR#)" from the file types list, and take a look at the instance numbers. Can you see one with the instance number 0x81? No? That's probably why the animation command couldn't find it! But we know that paintings do have interactions that animate the sims, so they have to be able to pull animations from somewhere. That means that there is probably going to be a Text List 0x81 in the semi-global library."

Where is that? Is that the same button we put the hygiene part in with the "pop-up wizard"?

Thanks for you help in advance.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#200 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 7:55 AM
F means "return false", E means "create an error log". When you're trying stuff out, it's good to point things to E so you can see where something goes wrong.

If your sims are going to the wrong place near the vase, you've probably got the wrong parameters in the "Go To Relative Position" command. The semi-global library is the "import semi-globals" tool you used to import the pie menu files. Part 4 will resolve itself after you import the text list from the semi-globals.
Page 8 of 16