Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#201 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 3:58 AM
um, actually im having trouble with step 1... how do i find out what my object globals are?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#202 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 5:29 AM
nvm i solved that problem but i cannot get my ibject to show up in the catalogue! it may sound pathetic, but its not! i have made objects show up in the catalogue before and i dont see why this would be different... think you could help me out?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#203 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 5:41 AM
I can only help diagnose issues if you post your object.
Lab Assistant
#204 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 7:15 AM Last edited by coward67 : 10th Dec 2008 at 7:20 AM.
1. how do you post your object and 2. i have had trouble getting the coin toss interaction, no globals are showing up!

so sorry if i am bugging you.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#205 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 8:41 AM
1. You post your object using the "manage attachments" button. You have to use the "Go Advanced" method of posting, not just the Post Quick Reply.

2. I thought you couldn't get the object in the catalogue? Have you solved that problem now?

Are you following the tutorial exactly? Cloned the same painting, following exactly those steps one at a time? It seems like you may be rushing it, maybe if you slow down and read things carefully you might have more luck.
Lab Assistant
#206 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 12:49 AM
nope, still cant get it in the catalogue, i was going on anyway, i am not the kind to give up easily, i am attaching it, and i have read many instructions several times and i have read this one several times and tried solving it several times, see if you can help, thanks.
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: zip holy_altar.zip
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#207 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 8:37 AM Last edited by Echo : 11th Dec 2008 at 8:51 AM.
Okay, you've cloned the wedding arch (Indigo's? It looks familiar...) but the tutorial was designed for deco objects, like paintings and statues. I'd strongly recommend following the tutorial with the recommended painting object before trying to apply the steps to another object. The arch in particular is quite complicated to work with as a base for these sort of "ground-up" hacks.
Lab Assistant
#208 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 7:09 PM
ok thanks, yes it is indigo's, i will try working with some decoraive objects, if only i could find a good looking altar, i think i know where to find one, the tutorial did help lots btw, i wouldnt have been able to do this myself, i am a bit dull in the head but even i can follow this tutorial! thanks.
#209 Old 12th Dec 2008 at 7:04 PM
Hi, Echo. I`ve read your tutorial, and it seems simple enough, so I gave it a try. I first tried it by editing a package that simsample had cloned from a vase for me, and while I have not finished the tutorial, everything I have tried so far works as advertised on that package, and the few issues I had were easy for me to deal with. I therefore decided to try the tutorial again, with an object I cloned myself. I have never cloned an object before, but the process went smoothly, once I figured out how to do it [I had a couple false starts along the way while figuring it out, though ].

I`m having this problem with my own object, however, and this looks like the required solution, but I haven`t been able to figure out how to do that yet. Would you please be so kind as to amplify? Thanks.

P.S.: I thought the issue here was with the instruction to change something, then look at it. Shouldn`t the instruction to look at it come before the instruction to change it?

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#210 Old 13th Dec 2008 at 7:29 AM
Not sure which problem you're pointing to, could you just quote the post you're looking at?
#211 Old 13th Dec 2008 at 10:31 PM
If you`re using IE7, like me, the page will load with the referenced post at the top of the screen.

However, to make looking them up easier:

Problem: Post #193

Solution: Post #17

The object I tested the tutorial successfully on was a vase.

The object I cloned myself for the unsuccessfull attempt was a rug.

I have not finished the tutorial on the former vase, but I am not trying to do anything to the rug that I have not already succeeded in doing to the former vase.

You said:
Quote:
You can import pie menu strings and function tables from a different object or semi-global group. Just make sure, firstly, that they both have the same instance ID. Then, go into your OBJd file, open the "Raw data" tab, and find the line that says "Interaction Table ID". Set that value to the instance ID of the pie menu files. If all goes well, you should now have a pie menu again.
Can you amplify on this procedure?

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#212 Old 13th Dec 2008 at 11:55 PM
Ah, okay then!

First point I'll quickly make is that if you want to mod a rug, you're better off cloning these ones:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=46922
They're base game compatible and don't have anywhere near as many confusing or irritating idiosyncrasies as the EAxis rugs. No credit necessary for clones.

That said, yes, you can import the menu from another object. I'm not sure how well it will work for EAxis rugs because, as I said, they're very odd objects that don't follow normal rules. What you do though, is import a pie menu from another object. You'll have to delete or replace *all* the existing interactions though, because it won't have access to the original code.

So just import the menus from some other deco object, and fix the group ID like you did in this tutorial. Then, copy the Instance ID. Open up the OBJD, and click on the "Raw" tab (if it's not already open). Scroll down until you find the "Interaction Table ID" line, and change its value to the instance ID you copied. That's it!
#213 Old 14th Dec 2008 at 12:21 AM
Quote:

Then, copy the Instance ID. Open up the OBJD, and click on the "Raw" tab (if it's not already open). Scroll down until you find the "Interaction Table ID" line, and change its value to the instance ID you copied. That's it!

That was the part I was confused over. Perhaps it will make more sense when I load up SimPE again.

Quote:

You'll have to delete or replace *all* the existing interactions though, because it won't have access to the original code.

Is this why when I clicked on the modified rug`s menu item, the Sim would stand there, doing nothing, and I was unable to cancel the action from the command queue? It is still using the View code copied from the Paintings Semiglobals.

Actually, it isn`t a rug at all; it is the round 3x3 tile that came, if I recall correctly, with H&M Fashion Stuff.

Just to get me started on the "rug", can you tell me how to create a do-nothing BHAV for the menu to call? You know, something that can process the command, allowing it to drop off the end of the command queue successfully, but without actually accomplishing anything.

Also, is there anything that I need to delete from the "rug" besides the actual BHAVs themselves that come in the "file" that I imported from the Painting semiglobals? I mean, I just delete the View BHAV code [not the BHAV itself, or the container that holds the BHAVs], and replace it with the do-nothing code I asked for, or something that I code myself, right? Everything else, I believe, either came with the "rug", or is needed for the menu to function at all, no? Have I confused you yet? I`m beginning to confuse myself.

Alternatively, would it behoove me to clone a painting, and replace the mesh and texture(s) with the mesh and texture(s) of the "rug"? If so, how? I haven`t learned that yet. BHAVs look easier, to me. I`m already a programmer.

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#214 Old 14th Dec 2008 at 12:36 AM
A little bit confused, yeah.

If you want a BHAV which does nothing, just use the Global "No Op". If you want it to be selected for a few seconds then drop off, use idle(20) or similar.

The sim is probably stuck because whatever option you selected was pointing to a rug BHAV, not a painting BHAV like it was designed to. If it was, say, pointing to BHAV 1234, and in the painting 1234 was view, then that would work in a painting. But import the menu into a rug, and it'll be looking for run BHAV1234 instead, which probably does something very different.

Did you take a look at the alternative rug base I posted? It really would save you a lot of pain.
#215 Old 14th Dec 2008 at 1:34 AM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 14th Dec 2008 at 2:45 AM.
I imported [successfully!] both of the Painting semi-globals that your tutorial tells me to, the one that contains the menu itself, and the one that contains the BHAV that performs the View command. I also did the 0xFFFFFFFF thing, also successfully, and I zeroed the Guardian BHAV pointer.

However, while the menu appears in-game, nothing happens after the command enqueues, and when I try to cancel the action, the red X appears, and nothing else happens, including the command dropping off the queue [it fails to drop]. Is there anything in the imported View BHAV that would call items that aren`t in the "rug"?

As far as I can tell, the two menu items correctly point to copies of the Painting semi-global View BHAV that are resident in the subject package, but I don`t know what that BHAV might be doing.

No, I haven`t looked at that object yet. I`ll try using the idle(20) and No Op commands, and see if they help. As I presume that I need to delete the View BHAV opcodes anyway, I propose to replace the View code with one, and the clone of the View code with the other, so I can test both in-game at the same time.

Oh, and in idle(20), is that Sim seconds, or RL seconds?

Ah, and I`m going to fire up SimPE as soon as I submit this post; it should be ready in about five to ten minutes, I think. ...or mebbe it only seems that long?

Edit: I have SimPE open now.

Quote: Then, copy the Instance ID. Open up the OBJD, and click on the "Raw" tab (if it's not already open). Scroll down until you find the "Interaction Table ID" line, and change its value to the instance ID you copied.

With regard to copying the Instance ID, what do I copy from, and what do I copy to?

Edit: With SimPE open, I`ve been reviewing the tutorial, and I think that the menu items are indeed pointing to incorrect code. I`ll look into this further while awaiting your reply, and edit further if I discover anything useful before you return.

Edit: I have [apparently successfully] added two new BHAVs for the menus to exectue. I have yet to figure out how to set the pointers correctly, mostly because I think I still need to set the Instance numbers on the BHAVs themselves.

Edit: I believe that I have now successfully completed Part Two on the "rugstoneinlayround" object. However, I have yet to test it. Would you like me to post the package?

Edit: I believe I have sussed out what you meant by copying the Instance ID into the Interaction Table ID line, and the instance number of the Pie Menu Functions and the instance number of the Pie Menu Strings both already match the number in Interaction Table ID, which probably explains why the menu itself worked fine, even though selecting the menu items did not.

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#216 Old 14th Dec 2008 at 3:18 AM
Okay... That's a lot of editing... Is there anything you still need clarified?
#217 Old 14th Dec 2008 at 3:19 AM
I dunno.

Do you have anything to say regarding what I`ve been doing?

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#218 Old 14th Dec 2008 at 3:32 AM
Not particularly. Keep doing it?
#219 Old 14th Dec 2008 at 3:42 AM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 14th Dec 2008 at 4:45 AM.
If I did it right, View should immediately drop quietly out of the command queue, while Test should sit there doing nothing for five Sim minutes, then drop out.

D`you think I`m ready to test in-game? The game takes longer to load than SimPE does. Should I quit SimPE before starting the game? SimPE takes a while to exit, too, doesn`t it?

Edit: I did quit SimPE, I did start the game, I did load up my test neighborhood, and I did test the object.

Results: It works as described. Now I need to start having the options do stuff. Gracias. Domo Arrigato. Danke Shoen. Merci. Etc. .

#220 Old 17th Dec 2008 at 6:24 PM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 22nd Dec 2008 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Deleted attached object. Obsolete.
Default Weird Weirdnesses.
Sorry about double-posting, but I have a new issue.

The attached object [which probably requires H&M Fashion Stuff] works perfectly, yet it doesn`t work at all.

It has two menus, Dance and Test.

Dance shows up for both genders. Females do the hula, and males do a different dance. Body goes up by one, Fun goes up by two, and all other motives go down by one. No issues here; this part works perfectly.

Test shows up only for males. It sets the gender to female. I know it works, because the Test menu stops appearing for them, and the Dance menu makes them hula, but no visible changes result, and males still behave as males as far as the wardrobe functions of dressers are concerned. I haven`t yet conducted any other tests.

I have previous programming experience, but I`m still new at this, and unfamiliar with the Primitives and Globals available. Any advice?

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#221 Old 18th Dec 2008 at 10:51 AM
In "Interaction - Test" you've got:
My person data 0x0041 := Literal 0x0001
when you should have
My person data 0x0041 == Literal 0x0001

The former stores the value on the right into the location on the left. The latter just compares the two together.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#222 Old 18th Dec 2008 at 11:45 AM
I think that's what he wanted to do. He said it worked.

Turning a sim male/female is not as simple as that, however. There is a lot more involved, none of it accessible to BHAV, so trying to create a sex changer is right out.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#223 Old 18th Dec 2008 at 12:00 PM
Oh! I see, sorry, misunderstood the nature of the problem.
#224 Old 18th Dec 2008 at 4:41 PM
Mr. Pescado is correct. The comparison is in the guardian BHAV; the action BHAV is deliberately assigning. It wouldn`t make sense to have a single comparison as the only instruction in an action BHAV.

Mr. Pescado is correct. I was attempting to construct a gender changer.

Does anyone have any information on anything that is accessible to BHAV manipulation that might be relavent?

Does anyone have any information on anything that might be relavent, BHAV accessible or not?

Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#225 Old 18th Dec 2008 at 6:56 PM
It is possible to attempt such a thing, but I recall it involves lots of monkeying with the sim's file in addition to the flippy bit, some messy business involving propertysets and AGEDs, and Google isn't find anything useful. The idea can mostly be dismissed as being impractical. Constructing a method of doing so in-game is believed to be impossible.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Page 9 of 16