Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 12:03 AM
I loved the Sims 2, but I always thought the sims looked freaky. Their default eyes were bizarre, for example, and the way they moved their mouths when smiling was just so wrong. Sims 3 sims look more realistic to me somehow. It's the lighting in TS3 that's all effed up.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 8:25 AM
Since someone rose this thread up from the dead, I have to comment. We've waited, and a few expansions came out that didn't bring in a whole heck of a lotta features...

I just want the old features back. I assumed we'd get a few of them, then they'd keep adding more with expansions. I just feel like the TS3 vanilla game is a bit more vanilla. And the toppings aren't making it much better.

Also, is it just me, or is TS3 totally not funny? I can never explain it to people, but I was always laughing at my sims in TS2. Now I'm not. It feels sterile and serious.
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 1:38 PM
I think one of the reasons everyone loved TS2 was because it was a huge leap forward from TS1. I adored TS1, but TS2 blew me away with it's lovely graphics and nice looking sims. I really didn't think EA would be able to improve on this formula until I played TS3.

TS3 is simply wonderful, IMHO. I now have the ability to make my sims look like I want them to. I like the way the sims look in TS3. I like the parks and the community lots and the towns are just so pretty. Yes, my loyalty can be bought with shiny things.

I don't think it's fair to compare TS2 to TS3 yet. TS2 was as fully fleshed as a franchise could be, and TS3 is only in it's infancy. There have only been 2 expansions and one stuff pack. I'd like to see some comparisons when there is more to go by.
Forum Resident
#79 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 1:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kindergoat54
I think one of the reasons everyone loved TS2 was because it was a huge leap forward from TS1. I adored TS1, but TS2 blew me away with it's lovely graphics and nice looking sims. I really didn't think EA would be able to improve on this formula until I played TS3.

TS3 is simply wonderful, IMHO. I now have the ability to make my sims look like I want them to. I like the way the sims look in TS3. I like the parks and the community lots and the towns are just so pretty. Yes, my loyalty can be bought with shiny things.

I don't think it's fair to compare TS2 to TS3 yet. TS2 was as fully fleshed as a franchise could be, and TS3 is only in it's infancy. There have only been 2 expansions and one stuff pack. I'd like to see some comparisons when there is more to go by.

Couldn't have agreed more.
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 3:12 PM

I guess that's true. Maybe I'm just a baby.

And it's probably also because TS2 is like my original. I was about 5 years old when TS1 came out, so needless to say I didn't get a chance to play it. Plus I missed the Pleasants. I ended up playing 17 generations of Pleasants.
Field Researcher
#81 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 3:22 PM
The only thing I really miss from ts2 would be the memories. Sometimes I'll take a break from The Sims and won't come back for a while. It'd be nice if I could go to their memories so I could remember what I did with them.

I once thought i was sad because I had no shoes, then I saw a man with no feet.
Animals are such agreeable friends – they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 3:26 PM
I enjoyed the memories as well, especially with sims I played for a long time. It was kind of nice to have that timeline. I hope they bring it back.
Banned
#83 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 4:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vivalakevin
Also, is it just me, or is TS3 totally not funny?

It's just you.

Quote: Originally posted by vivalakevin
Maybe I'm just a baby.

Yup.

Some people are just luddites who are afraid of any change.
Scholar
#84 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 6:01 PM Last edited by suzetter : 13th Jun 2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: deleted first comment as it was pointing to wrong msg post
I play TS3 have both EPs and am still not so enamoured of the game. I think it gets a higher raves then it deserves but then so does TS2. The new EP Ambitions is ridiculous--at some points the screen is so filled will pop-up messages, menus and info boxes and bars that you literally cannot see the game screen beneath them.
Scholar
#85 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 6:02 PM
Holy thread necromancy, batman! Whew, I was having total deja vu on the discussion and feeling completely confused why people were talking about things that have already been solved by cc. Okay...I'm cool now. I know what date it is. I get it. Don't ever do this to me again, people! I'm old. I get disoriented easily!

What if one little pop could open a world of wonder
So sensory, so satisfying. It's the magic Friskies makes happen every day in so many ways
Friskies, feed the senses. Cat sez eff that, gimme cheezburgers.
Instructor
#86 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 6:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzetter
^ Yes, with ten people all making the same pointless comment while sitting on the fence.^

I play TS3 have both EPs and am still not so enamoured of the game. I think it gets a higher raves then it deserves but then so does TS2. The new EP Ambitions is ridiculous--at some points the screen is so filled will pop-up messages, menus and info boxes and bar that you literally cannot see the game screen beneath them.

But all the messages stack now, so I don't see how that's possible.
Theorist
#87 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 9:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by usafjulz
my computer doesn't have a lot of ram so i deleted all my sims 2 expansion packs and stuff in expecting ts3 to be amazing. well...it's not all that amazing. should i regret even buying ts3??

Actually, it's not really fair to compare TS3's basegame with TS2 PLUS all its EPs and SPs. Afterall, the Sims 2 base game is not all that fantastic either, it takes time for the EA to finally be able to develop it through EPs and make it amazing. Same would go with TS3, it just needs some time before it would be super. Well, since I only have the basegame and University EP in my TS2, I guess my game ain't that great either, and since my RAM is quite huge, I don't have to remove my TS2 files, so it's easier for me to accept TS3 the way it is
Field Researcher
#88 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 3:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vhanster
Actually, it's not really fair to compare TS3's basegame with TS2 PLUS all its EPs and SPs.

QFT. It's really not. I'll readily admit that I miss things like the hottub, dating, weather, pets, apartments, and hobbies (though that itch is now mostly being scratched by Ambitions).

But, seriously, TS2 better than TS3? My daughter just recently got a second-hand laptop from a friend of mine, so I set up TS2 on it for her (it's not up to spec for TS3) and, for nostalgia's sake, puttered around with it for a bit. Sorry, but for me, there's obviously no going back. I just missed the open neighborhood and the ability to walk to the park or store, or go for a moonlight run. I missed excitable sims practically wetting themselves because they see something they like. I missed seeing sims gradually buff up through exercise. I missed being able to color-coordinate the clothing, furniture, flooring, and wallpaper without tracking down recolors.

TS2 better than TS3? Hrrrm... I'm just not seeing it.

So I'm like, "Cool! What should I get? Brain in a jar... monkey's paw... ooh, pie!"
Instructor
#89 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 3:33 PM
I enjoyed the memories as well, especially with sims I played for a long time. It was kind of nice to have that timeline. I hope they bring it back.

I do miss those for the exact reason you state. I don't miss how memories would be wrong or completely borked but being able to know exactly what had happened to them in the past was awesome.

My work around is to have a notepad document that shows most, if not all, of that. Since I'm a little OCD about each of my Sims having certain names and different LTWs, it's not such a stretch. I augment it with photos taken in-game so I can go "OH! That's why he's not still with HER."
Field Researcher
#90 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 3:38 PM
My Sims 3 has been lost so I've been thinking of reinstalling TS2 and I'm kind of half-half about it. On one hand I'm excited to play the EPs that weren't introduced to TS3 yet (pets/seasons/uni mostly) but I'm also kind of bummed that I'll miss all the new TS3 features.

Twitter | Tumblr | YouTube

28/11/07
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 3:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ranissa
I do miss those for the exact reason you state. I don't miss how memories would be wrong or completely borked but being able to know exactly what had happened to them in the past was awesome.

My work around is to have a notepad document that shows most, if not all, of that. Since I'm a little OCD about each of my Sims having certain names and different LTWs, it's not such a stretch. I augment it with photos taken in-game so I can go "OH! That's why he's not still with HER."

That's actually a really good idea. I think I'll start doing that.
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 9:09 PM
It's just you.
Forum Resident
#93 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Missa
It's just you.

Agreed. You have a beautiful kitty! I have one named Mickey and she is a Siamese.
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 8:36 AM
The new expansion, although quite "weak" allows you to now place your own plots on roads like the sims 2, so everything is looking better!
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 9:23 AM
Yes... but TS3 is slowly getting better because of the expansion packs.

I hated TS3 at first but now I'm never going back to TS2 because:

1. Really fast 10-20 second loading times (From the start of clicking the .exe to playing my.. pixel family, TS2 it took about 5-10 minutes to load a family and 5-10 minutes to load a community lot)

2. Far better performance and graphics compared to TS2 (Looks so much better, I get an average of 40-60fps on highest settings 1366x768 resolution on a Mobility Radeon HD 4870, compared to TS2 where I only had an average of 10-25fps)

3. More things to do.. almost

4. Open neighborhood and no community lot loading times (Now I go out )

my computer doesn't have a lot of ram so i deleted all my sims 2 expansion packs and stuff

Hard drive space*

You love me, I love you to :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/hssdamian <3
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 1:39 PM
The loading time with TS3 is awesome, just pure awesome.

I have a pretty good computer and it's lightning fast, but TS2 still took ages to load. Every time I wanted to go to a community lot I had time to go get a cup of coffee while it loaded. It was pretty annoying and the initial load time was very long, too long in my opinion. I can play TS3 for a half hour if I want to and still get a few things done....although lately I have been having marathon play sessions since I have some time right now. It's very addictive.
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 3:40 PM
I like how sims in TS2 look. i don't think I'll return to TS3.. I have TS2 and all expansions installed and have alot downalods, yet I seem to come to my sims lot in TS2 almost as fast as I come to mine in TS3, I have only a few downloads for 3.

formerly known as DollyL
Test Subject
#98 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 6:14 PM
Honestly, Sims 2 is better. But sims 3 is 10 for making houses.
But i prefer sims 2 because they can have pets, have more expansion packs and it is more easier to use. And same with BodyShop.
Sims 2 have better items to download in my opinion and in the Sims 3 it kinda, you know.. aren't that funny.
But that's my opinion ^^
Alchemist
#99 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 8:02 PM
my computer doesn't have a lot of ram so i deleted all my sims 2 expansion packs and stuff in expecting ts3 to be amazing. well...it's not all that amazing. should i regret even buying ts3??

It's just you
Test Subject
#100 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 8:14 PM
I like many of the new features of sims 3 but I really can't bring myself to play it because the sims themselves seemed to have taken 3 steps back as far a realism and beauty.
Page 4 of 11