Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jul 2013 at 5:13 PM Last edited by oceanjewel7 : 13th Jul 2013 at 7:08 PM.
Default Beehive Challenge
This challenge involves modeling your sims family after life in a beehive. Sims will have an extremely short lifespan and the Queen must produce a female heir before she dies while all male drones slave over the house work. See how long you can keep the hive going!

Starting out:

1.Created one female and one male young adult sim in CAS. The female is your first 'Queen' and the male is the drone that she has chosen to mate with and use to start her hive. He should be either her boyfriend or her husband. All drones are loyal ONLY to the Queen.

2. Select any traits for your first to sims. Green thumb, handy, and neat are suggested for the male to make life easier.

3. Move your sims into any house they can afford at the start of the game without cheats UNFURNISHED. You may make your own house but you must have the cheapest fridge, shower, toilet, stove and sinks to start. After they move in you can use cheats to furnish the house (except for the objects mentioned above) You must create the following rooms:
-a bedroom for mating purposes
-the Queen's suite
-the Queen's bathroom
-baby's room
The Queen's suite and bathroom should have the nicest objects and anything she may desire. Only the Queen and her female heir may access these rooms. Males are permitted inside them for cleaning purposes only. All males (drones) must use cheaper bathrooms and are only allowed in the mating room if choosen. otherwise their beds are placed outside and they must sleep there. The baby room should have the nicest crib for the heir and the cheapest cribs for any drones born. It can be nicely furnished with whatever toys. Beehive themed furnishings are encouraged
After this set household fund to $500

4. Set lifespan to 'short' and adjust it so that baby = 1 day; toddler, child, teen, and elder = 2 days; and YA and adult = 4 days
This gives each sim 17 days to live. This also means that the day your Queen becomes a YA she must get pregnant in order for the oldest child to become a YA before her death. There is a limited amount of time and pregnancies for her to produce the next Queen.

Rules:
•No influencing gender with apple/watermelon
•Besides money cheats at the beginning there should really be no cheating.
•You can use a cheat to remove the mourning moodlet since everyone will be dying constantly and it's hard to get someone to try for a baby when they just watched someone die. If you want more of a challenge, leave it.
•Absolutely no cheating to improve relationships with other sims. The heir should be befriending potential future mates as soon as possible.
•All males are drones and are slaves to the queen until the day they die. All housework and moneymaking must be done by them.
•The only way to make money is by gardening. (closest thing to making honey) No sims can get jobs. If a mate moving in has a job they must quit.
•The Queen can only participate in child care and cooking. Otherwise she should be relaxed and doing whatever she wants. She cannot participate in any activity that will deplete the 'fun' bar
•The Queen and her heir's needs always come first. They should never be unhappy. Even if there are other babies with needs they cannot be attended until the heir's needs are satisfied.
•After the heir is born the Queen should not get pregnant again, even if she has no drones. She only wants to produce the next heir.
•If a second female is born she must be removed from the hive asap. We don't want them battling for control. Just delete the baby, or if you can't move her out as soon as you can.
•All mates must be at least a boyfriend to the Queen before trying for baby to avoid cheating. The Queen cannot have her name ruined. All drones must be completely loyal. They cannot have children from a previous relationship. You must also have moved them into the hive before trying for baby.
•No adopting
•no hiring a maid
•No aging up with cake until their actual birthday unless their is a glitch and they should have already aged up.
•No ambrosia or any other objects or cheats that allow sims to live longer or come back from the dead
•Once the heir is a YA the old queen must be killed off so the new queen can rule.
•Deceased queens are displayed in the front yard, deceased drones are placed in the back yard
•You cannot sell anything in the queen's suite/bathroom or any necessity items/beds. There should always be at least 3 toys for toddlers/kids at all times

If your Queen is unable to produce a female heir before she is an elder you lose. If you go bankrupt you lose. See how long your hive can last. Good luck!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 14th Jul 2013 at 12:50 AM
Great idea! Going to try.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 14th Jul 2013 at 2:52 AM
One minor nitpicky thing. In real life, a beehive consists of mostly female bees. All worker bees are actually female. Drones exist purely to breed. A queen bee will mate once in her life and can can fertilize all of her eggs from that one mating. Drones die soon after mating. If a drone never mates his sisters the workers will eventually kick him out and he will die of exposure.

Please don't take that the wrong way. The challenge looks interesting and unique, and I might give it a try when I'm done with the perfect genetic challenge. That's just my nerdy biology major side coming out.
Test Subject
#4 Old 15th Jul 2013 at 3:11 AM
This looks amazing! I have started already and I'm sure I'm going to have some issues. I hope I can get past the first generation.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 15th Jul 2013 at 10:03 PM
I've been tweaking this as I go along to see what works. I managed to get 2 pregnancies out of my first Queen Bee with the age settings in the challenge. I'm now working on raising the second generation of 4 kids. With Elder at only 2 days, my first drone died off the day my second set of babies were born. In another day or so the Queen will die and then I will have one teenage son and 4 children. I may extend the Elder life span to keep drones around to care for the young, and just kill off the Queen once my next is aged up if she is not dead already.

But so far it is very fun =)

Edit: Typo
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 15th Jul 2013 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amp_RNA
One minor nitpicky thing. In real life, a beehive consists of mostly female bees. All worker bees are actually female. Drones exist purely to breed. A queen bee will mate once in her life and can can fertilize all of her eggs from that one mating. Drones die soon after mating. If a drone never mates his sisters the workers will eventually kick him out and he will die of exposure.

Please don't take that the wrong way. The challenge looks interesting and unique, and I might give it a try when I'm done with the perfect genetic challenge. That's just my nerdy biology major side coming out.

It would be fairly easy to follow this though right? I'm thinking you banish/kick out/kill drones asap after you have an heir born, and keep the spare females as helpers/drones.

My second generation is made up of 2 males and 2 females, I haven't decided weather or not to kill off or use spares.
Test Subject
#7 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 2:36 AM
I don't think killing off the guys would be a good idea. Yea the hive is made mostly out of female drones, but there are also guys...how you we get more bees if there weren't. I haven't ran into the issue of killing off anyone. I can't get my baby to grow up in one day. The shortest amount of time is 2 days...
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 5:43 AM
It takes 2 days but I kind of let that go lol.
I've been keeping my guys so far, but the ones that are sons of my queen bees are useless for breeding anyway.