Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 3:25 AM
Default Baby Want AND Fear?
Hiya.

So my sim Matthew had a want to have his 4th child, so I locked it and got his wife Helena pregnant.

The next morning he went out to the pet store which caused his wants/fears to re-roll and now he also has a fear to have a baby, in addition to the want that I locked.

His wife is already pregnant, so I'm wondering what'll happen when she gives birth (assuming he still has the fear by then...which he probably won't). Will he be happy? Sad?

Have you ever had a want and fear for the same thing like this? I never have.

Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 3:39 AM
OH Yeah!! I had a "wants six children" family sim, who had a "want baby" roll locked for his 4th child, and on baby day, he had the FEAR! He could not shake it, so when Aurora was born, Elladin (dad) had a breakdown. The Social Bunny showed up, gave him instatherapy, and he got better.

Elladin was poor at the time, just scraping by economically, and struggling in general.

Today he is happy, no more baby rolls. Work is now good and he's having frisky fun with his wife and eldering soon. Aurora is having a great time as a kid --- her parents have time for her --- and the oldest children are in college or on college track.

Elladin will never make his LTW. But everything is better and easier. He learned to cut bait.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 3:54 AM
Yes, it's very common, especially if the sim already has 3 kids. It's the tipping point from average to large family.

He will gain the 8K and lose the 5K so gaining 3K in aspiration.

It's also perfectly normal and real to life. Most people have some fears connected to having another baby even if they want it. Worries about money, where to store everything, how juggling another child will go, how you other kids will handle another sibling.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 5:13 AM
My Jankowskys in my BACC in Dodge aren't quite ready for babies yet as they still need to rebuild their main house before thinking about starting a family though I've had babies happen to the unprepared on my old computer playing the game when it was the latest sims game.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 11:41 AM
I once had that happen-Don Lothario's mother, who had had 6 children by her husband, had both a want and fear of having a baby. She got pregnant once more and had quads.
She fulfilled both of them and then went into a total, complete nervous breakdown.
Complete with the shrink flying down from the heavens. It took a very long time before she recovered.

She didn't want to have sex either.

Any increase in influence points was obliterated by her fear being fulfilled.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Forum Resident
#6 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 11:46 AM
It also seems to happen for family sims when they're close to becoming an elder. I figure it's both empty nest syndrome and the fear of not seeing the child grow up.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 5:55 PM
Yes, I've had this happen often! I've often wondered/thought that it could possibly be related to financial position? I've had poor family sims before who don't roll fears for babies until kids four or five, and the commonality is their financial situation. I guess that thought got stuck in my mind because the Social Worker can consider you too poor to adopt a child, so I wondered if that logic may spill over into giving birth to children.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 3:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
It's also perfectly normal and real to life. Most people have some fears connected to having another baby even if they want it. Worries about money, where to store everything, how juggling another child will go, how you other kids will handle another sibling.

Quote: Originally posted by fluorescentadolescent
Yes, I've had this happen often! I've often wondered/thought that it could possibly be related to financial position? I've had poor family sims before who don't roll fears for babies until kids four or five, and the commonality is their financial situation.

Huh, that's really interesting. The day (or two I don't remember) he had a bad chance card at work resulting in a loss of $35,000 leaving them at $10,000. Do you think sims are smart enough to be like "oh **** we can't actually afford this baby whoopsidaisy"

Quote: Originally posted by Ovenhole
It also seems to happen for family sims when they're close to becoming an elder. I figure it's both empty nest syndrome and the fear of not seeing the child grow up.

He had about 20 days left out of a 63 day custom lifespan, so I'm not sure if that is considered close to an elder. The baby will be a teen when he dies I believe.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 6:43 PM
@flourescentadolescent -That one of the most common causes of my sims rolling a fear of having a baby when they're flat out broke and are still childless and living in a tiny starter home or an apartment and have almost no savings.
I've often seen many childless young couples just moved in and stasrting out become fearful of having babies when they haven't even started families yet and are nowhere near to being able to afford it.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
That one of the most common causes of my sims rolling a fear of having a baby when they're flat out broke and are still childless and living in a tiny starter home or an apartment and have almost no savings.
I've often seen many childless young couples just moved in and stasrting out become fearful of having babies when they haven't even started families yet and are nowhere near to being able to afford it.

I had no idea this was a thing. I always wondered why my poor family sims had a fear of babies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 11:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
@flourescentadolescent -That one of the most common causes of my sims rolling a fear of having a baby when they're flat out broke and are still childless and living in a tiny starter home or an apartment and have almost no savings.

I have a couple living in a tiny 2 bedroom house with 2 kids who just had twins, he had a want and fear because they don't have much money and no hope of moving. I'm glad I have 1 tile cribs shoved in a corner of the living room and that spring will allow them outside as toddlers, because that is where they will continue to squeeze.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 18th Apr 2020 at 12:43 AM
I've been building my own apartment lots for a while and make many that were intended to be subsidized housing with green energy sources on the lots which meant residnet s living there ended up getting rebates instead of paying bills.
@joeandsarah77 -I would start building my own apartment buildings for young families and have the M&G green energy sources there in large enough numbers to cause them to get rebates instead of bills to pay if you have UC or installed Apartment life and M&G stuff.I'm able to continue doing this with my game because it's UC.