Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd May 2020 at 11:28 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game crashing at first loading screen
So for some time already I had this issue, but I was playing something else, so I just ignored this for a while. My game is crashing in the end of first loading screen (if you'd look at loading progress bar, crashes are always happening before last tile (these squares which are in background) gets reached (so right before game is ready to open window with neighborhood selection).
At first I thought obviously it's some cc or mod, so I started taking out some cc subfolders, in the end I took out my full downloads folder, then also deleted other folders in sims 2 documents folder and the game was stil crashing at the same moment. And also was deleting cache files.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  DESKTOP-TVPPRRL-config-log.txt (9.4 KB, 17 downloads)
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2020.05.02 11.46.12.txt (13.4 KB, 6 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd May 2020 at 6:56 PM
Can you list your computer specs?

If you happen to have Windows 10, this could be one of the "random crashing issues" the UC is so fond of. Have you done all the usual fixes, like 4GB fix (the memory listed in your files is a bit iffy, so it's possible the fix may not be in effect), or GraphicRules or any of the sort?

Did your game work at some point? If so, can you remember if anything happened around the time your game stopped working? Windows update, Origin update, game update, game crash, or something else?
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd May 2020 at 7:27 PM
Win 10,
4GB ram,
amd a10-7800 radeon r7 processor,
graphics card nvidia geforce gt 730

Yes, I did the 4gb patch and used graphic rules maker (it works for me)

My game used to work just fine, I played a lot before. Not really sure when exactly an issue appeared, because when first time game crashed, I started the game after few days of break playing sims I think. I don't remember any windows or origin update happening then (I'm using origin only to play sims 2, and due to long loading screens I just click the icon on task bar and go doing something else so I probably haven't seen if origin was updating on startup after that), but somewhere around that time I started to playing different game, which doesn't really meets minimum specs requirements (game needs at least 8 gb ram, and I have only 4, but except very rare and random lag spikes game runs smoothly). Not really sure if that is actually related to that.
Also somewhere around that time I think I used this thingy https://modthesims.info/d/640948/ob...collection.html but I don't think if that could cause any issue.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd May 2020 at 11:48 PM
That's a low-end graphic card, how much CC are you asking of it? large textures, high settings, high poly?
https://benchmarks.ul.com/hardware/...e+GT+730+review
Also it's only 2GB and really to play this game well, you need a 4 GB card. My guess is its the card.

Also you can see that the memory in your log is not showing correctly. I am not much of a tec but that may also be because your card can't give it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd May 2020 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That's a low-end graphic card, how much CC are you asking of it? large textures, high settings, high poly?
https://benchmarks.ul.com/hardware/...e+GT+730+review
Also it's only 2GB and really to play this game well, you need a 4 GB card. My guess is its the card.

Also you can see that the memory in your log is not showing correctly. I am not much of a tec but that may also be because your card can't give it.

Amount of cc doesn't really matter here, because as I mentioned in main post, I tried to run the game without downloads folder at all and crashing was still issue.
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd May 2020 at 8:15 PM
Update: I repaired the game via origin, also disabled origin in game option, game still crashing at the same spot.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2020.05.03 21.12.46.txt (13.2 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2020.05.03 21.05.48.txt (13.4 KB, 0 downloads)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 4th May 2020 at 12:08 AM
Your 4 GB patch isn't working as you don't have enough RAM. I was just talking to my techy friend who says because of what win 10 draws you want at least 6 so that 2 is for the operating system to use, but preferably 8. Because you only have 4 you are asking your game to draw on all of it.
If you look at your log you will see the uneven memory.
You could amp up virtual memory in the control panel under system but I think this will put on too much strain.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th May 2020 at 12:17 AM
Your 4 GB patch isn't working as you don't have enough RAM. I was just talking to my techy friend who says because of what win 10 draws you want at least 6 so that 2 is for the operating system to use, but preferably 8. Because you only have 4 you are asking your game to draw on all of it.
If you look at your log you will see the uneven memory.
You could amp up virtual memory in the control panel under system but I think this will put on too much strain.

I know I don't have enough ram, but I was playing on this setup since the last year and it was fine.
Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th May 2020 at 8:06 PM
Removing 4 gb patch didn't changed anything, game is still crashing in the end of first loading screen, without downloads folder at all.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2020.05.04 21.02.47.txt (13.2 KB, 2 downloads)
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#10 Old 4th May 2020 at 8:38 PM
You have only 2gb of free memory.  Maybe try reducing the texture memory to 2048, and close any other applications before starting.  Just because it worked before, any new updates in Windows can change the amount of resources being used, as well as hardware that ages.
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th May 2020 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
You have only 2gb of free memory.  Maybe try reducing the texture memory to 2048, and close any other applications before starting.  Just because it worked before, any new updates in Windows can change the amount of resources being used, as well as hardware that ages.

I changed texture memory to 2048 as you said, still crashing. No unnecessary apps in background. Btw, graphic rules maker says, that my graphics card has 4034 MB texture memory.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#12 Old 4th May 2020 at 9:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Anhaeyn
 Btw, graphic rules maker says, that my graphics card has 4034 MB texture memory.
Not sure I'd believe GRM. According to Tech Powerup that card has just 1024.
Inventor
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th May 2020 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Not sure I'd believe GRM. According to Tech Powerup that card has just 1024.

That's weird.
Not sure if anything else can be done in this case, so I guess I'll just have to give up on the game up to september/october when I'll be getting new pc, which will be upgradable (my current one can't be really upgraded without changing like everything inside so that's not worth the money, for example I could buy 8 gb ram (ddr3), but the one which matches my motherboard is quite expensive and for the same amount of money I could get at least 16 GB ram (ddr4) if I had better motherboard.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 10th May 2020 at 4:02 AM
Hello,

I've recently returned to Sims 2 after buying a new pc and having free time during the quarantine. I have Ultimate Collection but when I ran the game I had the boxed shadows under my sims. Installing Graphic Rules Maker seemed to fix it. However, my game would intermittently crash. At first I thought it was due to corrupt CC but my game still crashed even after removing all my new CC. Sooo, I downloaded the 4GB patch, D9VK fix and I always delete the accessory and cache files before I start my game. However, now my game won't even load. When I click the Sims 2 icon it either my screen just blinks like its trying to load but then nothing or I get a black screen with a spinning cursor. Please help!
Processor: i7-9700
CPU: 3.00 GHZ
RAM: 16.0 GB
Graphics: GeForce 7800 GTX
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 10th May 2020 at 4:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by beanj3
Hello,

I've recently returned to Sims 2 after buying a new pc and having free time during the quarantine. I have Ultimate Collection but when I ran the game I had the boxed shadows under my sims. Installing Graphic Rules Maker seemed to fix it. However, my game would intermittently crash. At first I thought it was due to corrupt CC but my game still crashed even after removing all my new CC. Sooo, I downloaded the 4GB patch, D9VK fix and I always delete the accessory and cache files before I start my game. However, now my game won't even load. When I click the Sims 2 icon it either my screen just blinks like its trying to load but then nothing or I get a black screen with a spinning cursor. Please help!
Processor: i7-9700
CPU: 3.00 GHZ
RAM: 16.0 GB
Graphics: GeForce 7800 GTX

You should make your own thread or since you are using D9VK you would do better posting directly to the D9VK thread.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 10th May 2020 at 6:44 AM
You should make your own thread or since you are using D9VK you would do better posting directly to the D9VK thread.

I ended up restoring my game by removing the D9VK fix and installed the updated version of Graphics Rules Maker and that seemed to fix the issue. I don't know if I'll still experience intermittent crashing but at least my game loads now. If my game crashes again, I'll look for a better fix.

Thanks!