Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 10:14 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Moving the files in My documents
Is it possible to move the data in the my documents folder on the hard drive elsewhere, my old one was too small for me and I got an additional one, bigger installed and now I need to know can I move the files from my documents to the other hard drive or what and how?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#3 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 5:24 PM Last edited by Deshong : 6th Jun 2020 at 5:59 PM.
I don't know if you are using Windows or Mac because I guess the method may be different...also slightly varies depending on the operating system. But yes, you can move and/or copy data from the main hard drive to another.

You need to bring up two different windows, one with the hard drive you want to retrieve data from and another with the hard drive you want to transfer or copy to. Using Win 10 I achieve this by going to File Explorer on my taskbar and then going to Start > Documents. Highlight whatever files you want and then right click to cut or copy and then paste to the desired drive.

Word of advice: Personally, I find that copy is best in case of an unforeseen situation such as a power outage because at least then it is less likely to lose and/or corrupt those files beyond repair. Just remember to delete it from the recycle bin when you are sure you no longer need it.

Edit: Just been brought to my attention that actually you can right click file explorer which brings up some pinned and frequently used files and below that you can click file explorer within that menu and repeat to bring up as many windows as you want. So in case if one wanted to copy a file or files to multiple locations.
Screenshots

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 6:42 PM
Huh? Why does such a simple procedure have to be so complicated...junction points are not required for this and just moving/copying the user game folder to a new location is not going to instruct the game to use it from there going forward which I think is part of the goal here. I would expect it to spawn a new user game folder instead.

I would suggest using the operating system to shift the entire user Documents library to the new drive. The game doesn't really care where the Documents folder is located and defined by the OS as long as it can reach it and the user game folder inside of it. Junction points would be useful for when Documents has to stay right where it is for some other, non-game related reason.

https://www.dummies.com/computers/o...s-in-windows-10
(the procedure is similar for prior versions of Windows)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 7th Jun 2020 at 12:19 AM
Wow, look at all the pretty Unhelpful reaction tags. This page is slowly lighting up like a holiday tree. The odd thing is that @nitromon @Deshong and I are actually all correct given that there is some uncertainly as to the end result that would serve the OP best, and certainly none of us had obstruction on our minds as a motivation for posting. If that's an example of "unhelpfulness," then I would have to say we should all wear that label as a badge of honor.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Jul 2020 at 6:37 PM
Actually, I did like Nitromon suggested as I only wanted to direct the Sims 3 to my external hard drive not the whole documents section and it worked perfectly. Thank you all for all the help though!