Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd May 2020 at 9:13 PM Last edited by xXJennaBoydsNumber1FanXx : 3rd May 2020 at 8:02 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Pets, Bon Voyage
Default Game Crashes on Large Families and lots
I'm trying to play the Bachelor Challenge but my game freezes and crashes about 15 minutes into gameplay. I have moved my household out and into a smaller lot, but it's still crashing. What should I do? There are 8 people in my houshold.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  LAPTOP-8GFFKP7V-config-log.txt (10.3 KB, 0 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd May 2020 at 9:27 PM
Could help with some info:
- Can you list your computer specs?
- And game version (UC / CDs / Mac Super Collection 32 or 64 bit / other)
- Have you done any fixes to the game such as 4GB fix, GraphicRules, etc.?
- Do you use CC? How much do you have? Do you know if you're using a lot of 4t2/3t2 hair or clothing conversions of player-made items (these can have high-poly meshes and large textures which TS2 may not like)?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd May 2020 at 9:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Could help with some info:
- Can you list your computer specs?
- And game version (UC / CDs / Mac Super Collection 32 or 64 bit / other)
- Have you done any fixes to the game such as 4GB fix, GraphicRules, etc.?
- Do you use CC? How much do you have? Do you know if you're using a lot of 4t2/3t2 hair or clothing conversions of player-made items (these can have high-poly meshes and large textures which TS2 may not like)?

I don't know my computer specs
The PC Super Collection 64 bit
Yes I have. I've done the 4GB fix and the GraphicRules
I do use cc. I could take my 4t2/3t2 hairs out
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd May 2020 at 9:43 PM
Do you mean the PC "Ultimate collection" via Origin (the one that goes up to AL/M&G) or the Mac "Super collection" (the one that goes up to Bon Voyage, and exists in a 32-bit and 64-bit version)?

By computer specs I mean system informaton, such as Mac/Windows version, installed RAM/Memory, processor, and graphic card. If you can list the Mac/Windows version, it's easier to help you figure out the rest.

For the CC, if you use a lot of high-poly hairs and clothes on sims, and your computer isn't powerful enough to handle this, it could cause problems such as crashing. If you're on a Mac, there's a file limit on CC.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd May 2020 at 10:06 PM
Do you mean the PC "Ultimate collection" via Origin (the one that goes up to AL/M&G) or the Mac "Super collection" (the one that goes up to Bon Voyage, and exists in a 32-bit and 64-bit version)?

By computer specs I mean system informaton, such as Mac/Windows version, installed RAM/Memory, processor, and graphic card. If you can list the Mac/Windows version, it's easier to help you figure out the rest.

For the CC, if you use a lot of high-poly hairs and clothes on sims, and your computer isn't powerful enough to handle this, it could cause problems such as crashing. If you're on a Mac, there's a file limit on CC.

the one on PC as well as the 64 bit version I have a Windows 10, 64 bit
Mad Poster
#6 Old 2nd May 2020 at 10:37 PM
The PC version of the UC is 32-bit.
Windows 10 tends to be 64-bit, though.

Anyway, if you have Windows 10 you can find the computer specs this way:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-...tem-information
(System Information gives you the info you need, you don't have to use the other methods).

Look for OS-name, Processor, and "Installed Physical Memory (RAM)". Then go to "Components" and click "Display" and list the card under "name" (if there are two cards they'll be listed separately).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd May 2020 at 11:01 PM
The PC version of the UC is 32-bit.
Windows 10 tends to be 64-bit, though.

Anyway, if you have Windows 10 you can find the computer specs this way:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-...tem-information
(System Information gives you the info you need, you don't have to use the other methods).

Look for OS-name, Processor, and "Installed Physical Memory (RAM)". Then go to "Components" and click "Display" and list the card under "name" (if there are two cards they'll be listed separately).

I think this screenshot will help
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 2nd May 2020 at 11:53 PM
What graphic card if any do you have?

Type dxdiag into the search area and it will show up in that area.

Then go to your sims 2 folder and open the Logs folder and in there the config-log.txt this will show if the 4 gb patch is working and the graphic rules. If you can attach it here?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd May 2020 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
What graphic card if any do you have?

Type dxdiag into the search area and it will show up in that area.

Then go to your sims 2 folder and open the Logs folder and in there the config-log.txt this will show if the 4 gb patch is working and the graphic rules. If you can attach it here?

Here's what I see
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd May 2020 at 12:04 AM
Guessing "Intel HD Graphics 620" for the graphic card, then (it's the one that seems to come with that particular model). It's not a card for heavy gaming, but some of the Intel cards can handle TS2 relatively fine, at least if you don't turn everything on max (not sure about this card, though). RAM is okay, CPU speed meets minimum requirements.

Windows could be doing random crashing (it's a RAM/memory thing with 32-bit programs/games), or there could be a bad CC item in the mix (accessing buy/build menu, lot or CAS/change appearance), maybe due to a visitor with a bad CC item.

Does the game always freeze about 15 minutes into gameplay, or is it more random? Or has it just happened once or twice?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd May 2020 at 12:10 AM
Guessing "Intel HD Graphics 620" for the graphic card, then (it's the one that seems to come with that particular model). It's not a card for heavy gaming, but some of the Intel cards can handle TS2 relatively fine, at least if you don't turn everything on max (not sure about this card, though). RAM is okay, CPU speed meets minimum requirements.

Windows could be doing random crashing (it's a RAM/memory thing with 32-bit programs/games), or there could be a bad CC item in the mix (accessing buy/build menu, lot or CAS/change appearance), maybe due to a visitor with a bad CC item.

Does the game always freeze about 15 minutes into gameplay, or is it more random? Or has it just happened once or twice?

It's funny. I'm doing a different challenge in a different neighborhood but the maximum sims I've had in a household at one time is 7. The current size of my household is 4. When I began the Bachelor challenge, the household and the lots I use are larger. That being said, in both neighborhoods, my game still crashes when I am on large community lots.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 3rd May 2020 at 4:12 AM
Okay so no graphics card as such but that's a decent chip.

Maybe you have a lot of cores, the game isn't keen on that.

Also you didn't show your log so we can see if the 4GB patch is working.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd May 2020 at 4:18 AM
Okay so no graphics card as such but that's a decent chip.

Maybe you have a lot of cores, the game isn't keen on that.

Also you didn't show your log so we can see if the 4GB patch is working.

I'm sorry I don't understand. My log?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 3rd May 2020 at 2:18 PM
In your My Documents folder, one of the subfolders should be named Logs. One of the files in this folder should be named something like config-log.txt. If you've given this computer a name so that it shows up on your home network, the file may be named COMPUTERNAME-config-log.txt.

We need the top part which shows your computer info, including how much available memory the game can find. Here's mine for an example.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 3rd May 2020 at 3:03 PM
^ For the UC on Windows 10, the path would be
C:\Users\NAME\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Logs
(Logs folder is in the same location as your Downloads folder)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd May 2020 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
In your My Documents folder, one of the subfolders should be named Logs. One of the files in this folder should be named something like config-log.txt. If you've given this computer a name so that it shows up on your home network, the file may be named COMPUTERNAME-config-log.txt.

We need the top part which shows your computer info, including how much available memory the game can find. Here's mine for an example.

Thank you!
Attached files:
File Type: txt  LAPTOP-8GFFKP7V-config-log.txt (10.3 KB, 10 downloads)
Instructor
#17 Old 3rd May 2020 at 9:00 PM
You mention that you have downloaded alot of CC hairs, could their polycount be too high maybe?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 3rd May 2020 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fearless Butterfly
You mention that you have downloaded alot of CC hairs, could their polycount be too high maybe?

It could be. I'm not really sure. I think I should run the game without cc and see how it does
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 4th May 2020 at 12:01 AM
The 4 GB patch isn't working.
Memory: 4096MB
Free memory: 2872MB
So long as you have enough RAM to use the patch (at least 6GB but preferably 8 to be sure) so that should both read 4096.
If you only have 4 you could try amping up virtual memory in the control panel under system but I think that could strain things.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 4th May 2020 at 12:42 AM
The 4 GB patch isn't working.
Memory: 4096MB
Free memory: 2872MB
So long as you have enough RAM to use the patch (at least 6GB but preferably 8 to be sure) so that should both read 4096.
If you only have 4 you could try amping up virtual memory in the control panel under system but I think that could strain things.

Is there a way I can improve my memory? And how do I get the 4 GB patch to work?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 4th May 2020 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by xXJennaBoydsNumber1FanXx
Is there a way I can improve my memory? And how do I get the 4 GB patch to work?

More RAM, how much do you have? You can't really ask the game to draw 4 RAM if your laptop only has 4, because it has to run as well.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 4th May 2020 at 1:20 AM
More RAM, how much do you have? You can't really ask the game to draw 4 RAM if your laptop only has 4, because it has to run as well.

2872MB.
How can I get more RAM?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 4th May 2020 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by xXJennaBoydsNumber1FanXx
2872MB.
How can I get more RAM?

You have to buy it and install it. That's assuming your laptop can, not all laptops are upgradeable.
https://www.umart.com.au/Laptop-RAM_664C.html

If you play sims 2 on low settings with none to very little cc you can get away with only 2 RAM. No point using the 4 GB patch if it doesn't have the capacity. Basically it's a tiny little car trying to pull a caravan, so you need to lighten its load. Deff turn off shadows and probably reflections and look at other settings to turn down.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 4th May 2020 at 3:52 AM
You have to buy it and install it. That's assuming your laptop can, not all laptops are upgradeable.
https://www.umart.com.au/Laptop-RAM_664C.html

If you play sims 2 on low settings with none to very little cc you can get away with only 2 RAM. No point using the 4 GB patch if it doesn't have the capacity. Basically it's a tiny little car trying to pull a caravan, so you need to lighten its load. Deff turn off shadows and probably reflections and look at other settings to turn down.

Thank you so much!