Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th May 2020 at 11:38 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default (Mac) game crashes in buy mode
Hello everyone!

I've been getting used to playing the Sims 2 after 6-7 years so I'll definitely be popping up on the forums a lot! Moreover, I now use a Mac, and I'm so not used to dealing with glitches, crashes, bugs as I was when I used to play on PC.

However, good news, the Sims 2 on Mac is amazing, aside from the not having apartment life (fave), or freetime. CC works perfectly, quality is much better.

Now, no more small talk. I've run into an issue. I have downloaded quite a bit of custom content (more than I'd like to admit), and all is well, HOWEVER, i know one little cc is messing up because every time i go to buy mode → decor → misc (or all decor), the game immediately crashes after a few seconds. I tried other categories in buy mode, but that's the only one. Moreover, in the custom content popup at the beginning of the game, nothing indicates an error, you know usually they say this cc will override game behaviour bla bla i already got rid of all that.

I know Clean Installer doesn't exist for Mac, and the one that does is so backdated, my laptop won't download it and I checked again right now, and the link doesn't even work anymore. I have some gems in that misc folder and it's a shame I can't even find the root cause because like I said, there's so much content.

Any idea on how to find the root of the problem or a way to scan the cc for mac?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 12th May 2020 at 1:11 PM
The cause of the problem is likely to be that one (or more) of your CC objects has a flag set for an EP/SP that the Mac version doesn't support, or some texture or lighting bizarreness that it disapproves of. Even texture sizes can be a problem - the Mac can disapprove of walls where the texture isn't a stretched 256x512, whereas Windows will quite happily accept an unstretched 256x768. Unfortunately there's really no way to figure out which package it is without taking it all out, and testing as you put it back in again. Even if we did have Clean Installer, it wouldn't help in a lot of cases... it'd just stop unintended extras coming along for the ride.

This is why I sort my Buy and Build downloads into subfolders that follow the organisation of the catalog. That way if just one section is messing up, I can yank it and put it back bit by bit until I identify the troublemaker. I also keep an empty hood with a test lot, and go in and place all new content on that first, to see if there are any issues.

It's tedious, I know, but there really is no substitute for the 50-50 method: https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...he_50.25_Method

I tend to do the testing in an empty hood that I can throw away afterwards, because that way I'm less likely to do damage to the hoods I play from yanking stuff. Though I'd always keep a backup of the Neighbourhoods folder so that I can delete and replace everything after a troubleshooting session.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 13th May 2020 at 2:58 AM
Before you launch into a full 50/50, you could remove the CC you added most recently that you know to be Deco CC. I also play on a Mac. I don't set up folders that exactly recreate the Buy/Build categories as muridae suggested; however, I do have a TryNewThings folder in my Downloads folder. I put all new CC here, no matter what kind, and play until I'm satisfied that there aren't any problems and that all CC appears in the catalog/all hacks deliver the promised effects. Once I've done that for enough time, say a couple of weeks, then I sort it all out to my preferred categories.

If pulling your recent Deco CC doesn't work, then yes, do the 50/50 method. It works but I hate the amount of shuffling files back and forth, so that's why I have my TryNewThings folder in place.