Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th May 2020 at 5:26 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Base Game Full Body Outfit crashes my game in CAS when loaded/selected
Quick little info about my PC before I get into it just in case:

Processor:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3250 @ 3.20GHz

Video Card:
Radeon(TM) RX 460 Graphics

RAM:
4.0 GB

Operating System:
Windows 10

Hey guys. I am playing The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on Origin. I have extracted the 4GB Patch to my game and followed every single tutorial I could to make sure my game will work on a modern system before playing it. But then I ran into this problem that I've been running into last year before abandoning The Sims 2 again. There's a certain Base Game outfit that crashes my game as soon as the thumbnail generates for it. Every single time I cross that section in the full-body outfit where that said outfit is at, my game immediately freezes, then the usual ERROR message pops up that I'm sure most of you here have seen before: The application has crashed. The application will now terminate.

I proceeded to delete all of the cache, even the CAS thumbnail cache and reload my game completely vanilla. Everything was fine, therefore I knew something was obviously up in my downloads folder. I then put the download folder back and loaded the game in with CC. This time all of my CAS Thumbnails that were generated without CC are outdated, and I was able to observe which specific outfit was crashing my game. I clicked every clothing 'till I caught it. It was those overalls with its colour variants that were crashing my game. However, I don't know what mod could it be that conflicts with that specific outfit. I have almost 5GB worth of CC but all of it is organised. I also tried loading the game in without my Default Replacement mods but even then the game would still crash so as far as I know It's not caused by a Default Replacement.

I am also using Graphics Rule Maker just in case but I think this issue specifically has to do with mods conflicting. So the question is, what do I do now? Any suggestion is helpful!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th May 2020 at 5:31 PM
This does look like it's definitely a CC problem. The best way is probably to do a 50/50 (look here). Shouldn't take too long, especially if you first move out all non-CAS items it can't possibly be (buy/build items) which narrows down the search.

My guess is that either you have two conflicting defaults (remember that morph/mesh fixes are also defaults), or a badly made custom mesh that thinks it's a default, or a recolor with some issues going on. You know you're most likely looking for an elder or possibly adult male outfit, so that could narrow down the search even further, but testing all CAS content at first is probably best, as there could be a bad recolor or mesh file somewhere else (skin files can sometimes interfere with hair and clothing, for instance), and sometimes an outfit that's (wrongly?) flagged as another age could be causing problems.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 14th May 2020 at 5:59 PM
Additionally, check your downloads folder for a file called "uhkjhihjkj(11)" or any other randomly named files that are 6.64 MB in size (you can do that easiest by opening the downloads folder, search the folder for *.package, let it load and then set it in order by size from biggest to smallest, there shouldn't be many other files that big) If you have SimPE you can open the file to check, it will contain 1534 CRES files and it's safe to delete it, in fact you should delete it since it causes crashing. There's some discussion about that file here if you want more reading.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th May 2020 at 6:42 PM
^ There are a couple other variants of that file as well, with different names, all filled with CRES files. They do tend to have roughly that size, posibly with some variations. They're usually part of sim downloads. I think they may be linked to edits or mods that modify ingame glasses, and get added to sims when those glasses are applied, but I'm not entirely sure.

These files don't automatically cause crashing, but can be more likely to do so (I've had some hanging out in my downloads for years without noticing), but it's best to delete them as it's pretty certain they aren't doing anything good in your game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th May 2020 at 7:05 AM
I managed to fix my game with the 50/50 method in less than 10 minutes. I'll surely use the other methods you guys just sent me here in the future just in case. Now I can finally play the game again without a worry for now. Thanks a ton guys! :lovestruc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th May 2020 at 8:14 AM
This can happen to any piece of CC even to something you have had for years. Sometimes a crash can corrupt it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~