Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Retired Staff Member
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Mar 2021 at 9:38 PM
Default Sims 3 mass purchase worth it or no?
Hey all!!  I 'm wondering if it's worth it to go ahead a purchase the Sims 3 stuff off Origin since they are selling it again there and have it all half off?  I currently only play Sims 4.  I played Sims 2 years ago but I no longer have access to my Sims 2 CDs.  So, I was just wanting to see if I should splurge on the Sims 3 or not worry about it.  Any opinions are welcome!   Thanks!!!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 2:13 AM Last edited by KatyFernlily : 20th Mar 2021 at 7:32 PM.
To the OP - Yes, why not?
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Uh... is this part of the moderator trainee program? This post goes in general forum.
That was very uncalled for, to be honest... trainees are members too, just moderating downloads. So the forums aren't a place they moderate. Besides, mistakes happen! You probably posted something in the wrong forum before, so no need to be like that. 

Now you are right that it is in the wrong place, so I'll be moving the thread  
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 12:06 PM
How long are they on sale? Get the base game and if you like then get more. I love 3.
Alchemist
#7 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 1:09 PM
In my opinion, absolutely. I have tried to play Sims 4 but everytime I came back to Sims 3, I felt like I could breathe again and I had the freedom to do so much more, to go to so many places with the Nraas Traveller. Many like Sims4 but I can't - and don't want to - get past Sims 3.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 2:03 PM
i was just kidding, why people take me so serious. i just thought it was funny and ironic that's all. bad joke, my bad.

Because now that we have established that you, AGuyCalledPi, and I are all the same person (this will make no sense to those who missed that thread before it got deleted), you are making "the rest of us" look bad.

I don't think there will be very many members who frequently post on this board who will say TS3 is not worth it at just about any price, because after all why would we hang out on a forum board devoted to a game that we aren't crazy about? But I have to agree that it might make sense to try out at least the base game and a couple of EPs before making the plunge into the entire set unless you are already certain you are going to love it as much as the rest of us do.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I don't think there will be very many members who frequently post on this board who will say TS3 is not worth it at just about any price, because after all why would we hang out on a forum board devoted to a game that we aren't crazy about?

Totally true for this section of this site, but total opposite of 4.

I love 3. Always have and always will. Liked 1 and 2 when played. Never went back. LOVE 3. 4 IMO is OK in small doses. I get bored very fast. I never get bored with 3.
Instructor
#10 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 2:27 PM
Okay, but what if this Origin sale is foreshadowing that it will be on sale on Steam from next week or so - for less than -50%? As Steam sales are very likely publisher company-policy, not Steam-policy.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 3:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wykkyd
Hey all!!  I 'm wondering if it's worth it to go ahead a purchase the Sims 3 stuff off Origin since they are selling it again there and have it all half off?  I currently only play Sims 4.  I played Sims 2 years ago but I no longer have access to my Sims 2 CDs.  So, I was just wanting to see if I should splurge on the Sims 3 or not worry about it.  Any opinions are welcome!   Thanks!!!

IMO, the CD copies are far safer, no guess what sort of stuff they'll pull on Origin- there was a update last year that apparently stopped the game from reading CC properly for some people- hoping that's been fixed!

That being said, if you don't have access to the CD options, Origin is ok.
Retired Staff Member
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 3:48 PM
 Thanks everyone for the helpful info!  
Mad Poster
#14 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 12:42 AM
TS2 and TS4 are both "closed world" dollhouse games and so they run smooth because there are less resources. TS3 will NEVER run as smooth as TS4 because of the game dynamics, you are running a full world, not just 1 lot, a world that consists of average... 50-75 lots, average of 150 residents, up to 300-400 sims total including service NPCs all "at the same time." There is no loading screen transition other than entering CAS.

TBH, if you find yourself constrained by your computer, you can always choose a smaller (custom) world and crank down the settings - thankfully TS3 has options that allow you to do that.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 4:24 AM
You never did answer the question whether you are Pepulan...

You are 100% correct, sir (or madam). I most certainly did not answer that question.

Truth be told, there are only about 12 unique members around here and I'm not sure about 9 of them. The rest are figments of our imagination, much like the rest of the internet is. All will be clear when our true great leader SIMAnon reveals themselves. Should be any day now.

But in the meantime, TS3 is still a great game.
Retired Staff Member
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 8:37 AM
I have no intentions on making this post into a boxing match between TS3 vs TS4.  I sincerely wanted opinions on buying TS3 and all the packs at once while they are on sale and since it costs a pretty shiny penny (or 20000 of them  ).  I appreciate your serious reply @nitromon .  Those things were what I was looking for.  As for my PC, I should be fine there.  I play very few games because I can not find things I like to play.  I enjoyed TS2, and I enjoy TS4, so I was considering trying TS3 as well.  

While you have mentioned it, let me take the opportunity to say Hey Everyone!!  I'm Wykkyd     Glad to meet you all!
Alchemist
#17 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 12:14 PM
Any specific EP's hasn't been mentioned but I was thing of which ones I would want if I was only now new to this game and wanted to get a good first taste without the load of all EP's. Of course, this is just really matter of personal taste but I would choose Seasons (weather), World Adventures (Egypt) and Island Paradise (diving, mermaids) for sure.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 5:25 PM
... I'm also wondering why the post? Again, I'm a curious guy and I like solving puzzles. This is a puzzle for me. Why? Because an avid Sims 4 player comes on Sims 3 forum and asked the question "Is Sims 3 worth it?" It is like... rhetorical, right? Of course people going to say it is worth it, not just because this is a TS3 forum and a lot of TS3 fan, but people who don't enjoy TS3 wouldn't be here.
Is it worth it? Everyone in here are here because we all do this and we all enjoy it and we all think it is worth it.

I am here as I love 3 and say get it. If this question was asked in the 4 section though, should I get 4, sadly your logic would be totally MIA and the rants would begin, including even some people who do not even own the game.
Scholar
#19 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 7:06 PM
As to whether to jump in and get all the packs at once, that would depend on your entertainment budget & your computer's capabilities & what kind of game you want to play. If you're in a very easy situation, you might want to go for the whole lot of them, but not install them all at once (or do, if you're a daredevil!). Otherwise, maybe get 2-4 packs that sound like they work together with your idea of how you want to play. Since you have played both 2 and 4, you can apply your experiences there to your plans in 3. Be aware that some features are combined differently in 3! For example, aliens, which are in University in 2, are in Seasons in 3: while Plantsims, which are in Seasons in 2, are in University in 3.

In any case, I find it much more playable with the Nraas suite of mods.
Scholar
#20 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 7:20 PM
Have you played Sims 4 with Open world mod and MC story progression mod? Sims 3 is basically that with Create a Style mixed in and a lot of other smaller details. But those are the main differences.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Forum Resident
#21 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 10:28 PM
Sims 3 always worths to play I love it, I miss a lot of stuffs from sims 2 and sims 4 when I am in, but it definitively worths the buy.
Do not listen to the haters they are legions in the community just because they are lazy to fix the crashes and their games. They everytime pushes the sims 3 down especially the sims 2 and the sims 4 hard fans pffft.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 6:29 PM
Well hmm @nitromon , I do play sims 4 often and I swear this game is more open as people think of compared to ts2 that you even cannot walk your dog on the pavement in ts4 you can do this without a loading.( in ts2 that's a rabbit dog action). Of course the game is not as open as the sims 3 and we got open carreers not a lot but compared to ts2 this game is opened but limited. You can also have this precious things when you jog, when you bike, or when you are a policeman-woman.
For the ram I got 8Gb that's far enough for ts4 but not for ts3 just because it takes a lot of ram .

What I hate with the s4 sp mod is we are never aware of the progress of your sims compared to the Nrass one with ts3. I got couples, babies born, thanks to the mod but I am never aware of !!
Compared to the SP mod in ts3 I am aware on of my sims are gardening her watermelon plant or when one of my sims starts to write his biography for real ! Except for the gain skills this is fake.
Scholar
#25 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 2:12 PM
TS3 is definitely worth it. But like Nitromon mentioned, you might want to look into what improves performance with TS3. Especially if you plan to use a lot of CC. Performance issues in TS3 behave differently from performance issues in TS4 and they can be a lot more severe.
There is one particular thing that you might want to check before going on a purchase spree I don't know how many TS3 players still use a hard disk instead of a SSD. But there is a serious difference in performance, especially in CAS and when using the pattern tool. I don't know if I would want to go back to playing TS3 from a HD.
Page 1 of 2