Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 8:52 AM
Default Running Sims 2 on Virtual Machine on Android?
I saw some tutorials on running Windows XP and other versions on an Android system, and was wondering if it would be possible to install Sims 2 if you provide enough hard drive space and ram on the VM. I understand that the x86 VMs could run rather slow due to the way 64-bit tablet/smartphone operating systems handle emulating 32-bit systems, but could providing more virtual RAM alleviate that particular issue? And would the VM be able to accurately emulate the video card and drivers needed to run Sims 2?

I was wondering since these tablets and phones are getting more and more powerful. In only a decade, they have gotten so powerful that there are now smartphones with the RAM and storage space that would rival many laptops from 2011. Has anyone tried this, and if so, what were the results? Post them here if you can - I would love to see the results! Also post any technical issues that would make running Sims 2 or any other graphics intensive 3D program on a tablet inadvisable - such as heat and GPU strain.

For me, resolution might not be a big deal if I can play Sims 2 on the go. Just as long as I can read everything and interact without much hassle, and make the graphics look nice, it's not going to be an issue with a tablet or phone. It certainly would be an interesting gamechanger too. Playing Sims 2 while riding somewhere or waiting in the DMV - or really just anywhere - would be awesome!

There's also tutorials on running Windows 10 on tablets/phones. That's just incredible. Will there be any issues with that as well? And is it possible to run Sims 1 on an XP VM on a tablet? Even that would be fun!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 9:01 AM
I mean. I played Sims 2 on my phone once, but it's not fun :/ Kinda sucks if you ask me, due to everything being for mouse and keyboard. Though, it is a nice niche oddity and a fun way of trying it out.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 9:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by redandvidya
I mean. I played Sims 2 on my phone once, but it's not fun :/ Kinda sucks if you ask me, due to everything being for mouse and keyboard. Though, it is a nice niche oddity and a fun way of trying it out.

Did you play it with Teamviewer or is it actually installed on the tablet in an emulator? Also, keyboard and mouse probably won't be a problem since I can get a folding bluetooth keyboard with a trackpad. Have you tried that? And did you play the game with all the EPs and SPs? Was there any lag or glitching, and did your phone get excessively hot?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 9:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
Did you play it with Teamviewer or is it actually installed on the tablet in an emulator? Also, keyboard and mouse probably won't be a problem since I can get a folding bluetooth keyboard with a trackpad. Have you tried that? And did you play the game with all the EPs and SPs? Was there any lag or glitching, and did your phone get excessively hot?

I played it using Steam Link on my computer. You can play almost any game using Steam Link. The lag was there but it wasn't too impactful, just enough for functionality, and yes my phone did get a little too hot. If it gets hot during STREAMING a game, I highly doubt it will be able to play it installed.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by redandvidya
I played it using Steam Link on my computer. You can play almost any game using Steam Link. The lag was there but it wasn't too impactful, just enough for functionality, and yes my phone did get a little too hot. If it gets hot during STREAMING a game, I highly doubt it will be able to play it installed.

I see. I was wondering if it would be possible to run 3D intensive programs on an android using a virtual machine. From what you've written, we still have a long way to go. Has anyone else tried the Steam Link or Virtual Machines? Because right now I really shouldn't play Sims 2 on my computer - the integrated graphics card started complaining months ago (with red and black flashing terrain in Sims 2) and I decided to not push it any further. I'm currently working on earning some money for a much better laptop or desktop. Might go for desktop, and if so, which brand/model would you recommend?