Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Sep 2020 at 9:06 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Does this mean my video card is goin out?
If not... what's the issue? This just started... umm... last night or possibly the day before. I can't recall for sure, but I do know it was very, very recent.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Sep 2020 at 11:05 PM
Check your config-log file and see if anything has changed. Some recent Win10 updates have screwed up graphic card driver updates lately, so if you find an unknown card name there, that could be a possible problem.

If you have a card + chip solution (often laptops), this does have the look of "can't find the card, I'll run on the chip instead" so that's a likely problem (the Nvidia card on my old laptop occasionally played possum, and would do things like this out of the blue), especially if Win10 updates got a bit overeager.

If not, see if your GraphicsRules file is still there and working fine (assuming you've edited it. If not - probably about time you did?). The usual memory fixes and all that could help (if you've not already done them?)

Other than that - if you do see graphic issues and the card/chip/computer is starting to get a bit old (4+ years or thereabout?) then chances are it could be starting to have some issues.
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Sep 2020 at 11:28 PM
I don't have Win10 ... I still have Win 7. What's graphics rule file?

So far I've only noticed it while playin in Sims2. I don't have many other games as most of my CD games stopped bein compatible with Vista onward.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 1:01 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 20th Sep 2020 at 1:15 AM.
Okay... Try the GraphicRules edits from here: https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

It's meant to make the game recognize the graphics card. If you have a Nvidia card, those are masters of "playing possum" and can on a whim suddenly decide to not work and/or not play nice with your game, especially if they stumble upon an update they don't like, or some such (but not exclusively - happens with other cards too). Editing the GraphicRules and VideoCards files forces the game to use the card, and also edits a few other things while it's at it.
Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 1:23 AM
I can see that for a new card and or PC, however, neither are new. The card was working fine with no issues up to .. umm.. well past day or so. That's why I thought it might mean the card is kickin the bucket. Card is ... umm.. can't say for sure, but I'll estimate a good 7ish + years. My dog is 6 1/2 and I know I hadn't bought it in that time.

I lowered game graphics and that helped, but I still saw some ...err not sure what it's called... the funky look :D

I'll just play and see what comes of it. Thanks
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
I can see that for a new card and or PC, however, neither are new. The card was working fine with no issues up to .. umm.. well past day or so. That's why I thought it might mean the card is kickin the bucket. Card is ... umm.. can't say for sure, but I'll estimate a good 7ish + years. My dog is 6 1/2 and I know I hadn't bought it in that time.

I lowered game graphics and that helped, but I still saw some ...err not sure what it's called... the funky look :D

I'll just play and see what comes of it. Thanks

Try updating the graphic card drivers.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 3:50 AM
7 years could mean it's getting old. That's usually been roughly the lifespan of *something* in my computers going wrong, but for me it's been the battery/power (two laptops - batteries don't tend to last longer than 5-8 years, and by that time there's probably something else going wrong, too), or memory slots/motherboard (stationary). Of course, the graphic card could be the failing hardware for you - but it could be worth trying for instance updating drivers or seeing if GraphicRules work, just in case the graphic card has a bit more life left in it.

Either way, if you are suspecting failing hardware, now is a VERY good time to do a full computer (and game/download) backup, because when one piece of hardware starts failing, more tends to follow.
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 5:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
7 years could mean it's getting old. That's usually been roughly the lifespan of *something* in my computers going wrong, but for me it's been the battery/power (two laptops - batteries don't tend to last longer than 5-8 years, and by that time there's probably something else going wrong, too), or memory slots/motherboard (stationary). Of course, the graphic card could be the failing hardware for you - but it could be worth trying for instance updating drivers or seeing if GraphicRules work, just in case the graphic card has a bit more life left in it.

Either way, if you are suspecting failing hardware, now is a VERY good time to do a full computer (and game/download) backup, because when one piece of hardware starts failing, more tends to follow.

Thanks for the advice I've run into that sorta situation .. But for now I'm not worried 'bout the other components. Mobo is roughly a year or two, same with power source, HD I think is closer to 3.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 7:19 AM
That issue could be from a cooling fan wearing out since that looks like what happened to my computer when my fan died and I was foced to send it out for repairs.I's have it taken to a computer repair shop to see if it's the fan going and to get that repaired or replaced if the computer also started getting very warm or getting hot recently.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 4:17 PM
@CaliBrat I agree with TadOlson above, sometimes graphical artifacts can be caused by excessive heat. You can easily check your graphics card temperature with a little program that I use a lot-it works for Windows 7 and 10 and monitors all of your system temperatures.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Use the classic version to the left of the screen, you can either use the zip version which doesn't need installing (just unzip to a folder) or the installer version. If you run it whilst playing the Sims, it will record the maximum temperature- anything above the 70s (degree C) would be considered high. It will show you your CPU temperatures too, and also might pick up your fan speeds, although this depends upon your hardware. Worth a try maybe, if your card is running hot it might be worth checking the fan and removing some dust.
Theorist
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Sep 2020 at 5:00 PM
Thanks ya'll for all the input.
As for the temp, I will check that but I don't think that is it. Reason bein that a few weeks ago, we hit record breaking heat of 111f/ 117f. I don't have A/C in my room. If temp was the cause I'm thinkin then is when it would have done this no? Also, it's done it from a cold start.

In lookin in comp to see what card I have installed I'm not finding anything. I can't even find drivers loaded, not showing anything. Went in bios and it shows as using card and not IGD.

Last night I played AoE2 and no graphics issues.

So now I"m wonderin if it's not the card, but maybe somethin screwy happened with the game/ installation/ or a mod conflict, though not sure what sorta mod would cause that.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Sep 2020 at 6:01 PM
Heat stroke can hit the graphic chip/card at any time. Could be a speck of dust getting in where it's not supposed to be, slowly frying a circuit. Cooling paste reaching its limit. The heat wave could've been the start, and you're now seeing the effect. It's hard to tell.

if you can't find a graphic card, you probably have an integrated chip. They're often a package deal with the motherboard/CPU, used to run anything graphical on your computer like the visual part of the OS and various programs. Some can work fine with games as long as you don't go full-on with the highest settings. If you also have a dedicated graphic card, this usually gets set up to handle heavier graphical tasks like games, rendering, and so on.

As for AoE2, not sure which one is heavier for the chip or card.

Can you find the file in your "Documents/EAgames/TS2/Logs" folder that ends with "config-log" and copy the information from the start of the file down to "global properties" (the rest isn't necessary)? Could help a bit in figuring out what's wrong.