Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 4:17 AM
Default Does anyone like TS2 better than TS3?
I love the whole seamless neighbourhood thing, but I like TS2 more because of all my CC and my expansion packs.

Does anyone else kind of miss TS2? I'm gonna play it tomorrow when I get to my mom's house. :/

Post why you like TS2 better here. ;D
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 4:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mayakii
I love the whole seamless neighbourhood thing, but I like TS2 more because of all my CC and my expansion packs.

Does anyone else kind of miss TS2? I'm gonna play it tomorrow when I get to my mom's house. :/

Post why you like TS2 better here. ;D

I really like TS3, but I miss my pets and my ability to be a Witch. I also miss my CC, especially stuff like eyes. I really hate the eyes in the vanilla base games and had some really awesome CC to make gorgeous sims. That being said, I'm glad I only have the base TS3 without a bunch of extra content and capabilities to worry about and learn. The EPs and CC will become available, it just takes time...TS2 was no different. I still have my TS1 and 2 installed and once I'm done being totally obsessed and preoccupied with my new toy, I'll go back and play them now and then because I'm kind of attached to the little buggers. :D

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#3 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 4:48 AM
I like TS2 better because it doesn't have the terribly borked Story Progression concept weighing it down. Yes, I have to rotate through all the playable lots and randomly kill off townies to keep a TS2 neighborhood synced, but I prefer that to mysterious clone babies passed out on the floor because their households have no cribs and whole families randomly moving in together.

Also, I find the gameplay camera in TS3 significantly less smooth than TS2's. I find it nearly impossible to use the mouse to center and zoom in on my Sims. Perhaps the keys and/or UI buttons provide better navigation, but since I don't use them...
Site Helper
#4 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 5:08 AM
I can't run TS3, so I prefer the one that actually plays on my computer right now.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Forum Resident
#5 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 12:08 PM
I love TS2, and I think that TS3 will never take that place. I have played TS3 and after 5 minutes so many things in it makes me want to rip my hair out... Like the camera! I got that game because I'm such a huge fan of Sims generally, but I won't be playing it unless I get REALLY bored with Sims 2. And even then I'm going to play Sims 1 instead
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 12:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stygia2002
I really like TS3, but I miss my pets and my ability to be a Witch. I also miss my CC, especially stuff like eyes. I really hate the eyes in the vanilla base games and had some really awesome CC to make gorgeous sims. That being said, I'm glad I only have the base TS3 without a bunch of extra content and capabilities to worry about and learn. The EPs and CC will become available, it just takes time...TS2 was no different. I still have my TS1 and 2 installed and once I'm done being totally obsessed and preoccupied with my new toy, I'll go back and play them now and then because I'm kind of attached to the little buggers. :D

I TOTALLY miss my CC and EPs. My sims looked almost like really, really pixelated photographs because I'd just SMOTHER them in the most realistic CC I could find. They were all gorgeous. ;D

I always felt really attached to my sims, too. When my favourite sim died, I kind of felt horrible inside. I just like, counted the sim days until she died. It was really sad because she was probably the most fun sim I ever had. She was the first sim I made after Seasons came out.

I swear, my TS2 sims are to me what my Tamagotchis were to me when I was 8. (I had a glitchy one and I cried when my Tamagotchi randomly reset in class )

I wish that TS2 had had seamless neighbourhoods and personality traits in the first place. Those are my favourite things about TS3.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 3:31 PM
I'm in two minds. I haven't got The Sims 3. I really like some of the steps it has made but it looks nothing like the huge leap that was The Sims to The Sims 2. Also, i got very behind on The Sims 2, with a slow PC and no EP's i am waiting for an Ultimate Collection to come out with all of the EP's and Stuff packs built in to one game. Although, looking at how long it took for the package with all the EP's to come out for the original game...i'm in for a very long wait

I could really do a lot that i want to with The Sims 3 though and there is a little bit of me that really desires it still.
Test Subject
#8 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 3:39 PM
I haven't played the sims 3 yet, but I would rather play sims 2 than 3, mostly because after the big leap of greatness from sims 1 to sims 2, all you can really do is expand from that, and that's all sims 3 kinda is.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 4:38 PM
Big TS2 fan here, I find TS3 very boring and have stopped playing it untill it gets better.

"In the game of Life". It is better to aim at something and risk a miss, than it is to aim at nothing and hit.
Banned
#10 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 5:09 PM
As a creator I like the sims 2 better, because there is more you can do. Custom CAS screens, hair and makeup with texture, Custom Careers, and so much more. Right now the tools for modding the sims 3 are still in their infancy, and it's not something that's very user friendly the tools that are out now.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 5:38 PM
I can't seem to get attached to my sims 3 sims. well i knoow it sounds weird and yeah it's a weird reason, but i get easily attached to my sims 2 sims and can very easily make up stories and stuff. But somehow i can't do the same thing with the my sims 3 sims. and to be honest, yeah i have no idea why it is that way.
Banned
#12 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 6:19 PM
No pointy ears in the sims 3 lol. :p
Field Researcher
#13 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 6:46 PM
I went back to Sims2 and started a new hood. I had never installed FT or AL as I got burnt out. So to me it's like a whole new game and I'm loving it!
I got Sims3 and the graphics gave me a headache, even with them turned up. It's too cartoonish to me? RCT3 gave me a headaches for same reason.
So back to Sims2 with my 18K downloads lol
Test Subject
#14 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 11:48 AM
I like TS2 much better. I love having my own business, having pets, going on holidays, weather, aliens, werewolves, vampires etc, more building options, much more content (i really miss the spa, memories, environment meter because your enviroment effects your mood and should of been in TS3, car's actually have animations, sims look much better the list goes on and on.

The only thing I like about TS3 is the laptop an how you can carry it around, mobile phone and traits. Put those in TS2 and call it a day.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 12:28 AM
Funny that this question is being asked in TS2 section. Those answering are those that at least still play TS2, or play only that.

I haven't and will probably not buy TS3. I do love my game and still and will play it at least once a week for another few years. You know, I was still playing TS1 just 2 years ago, before I bought TS2
Test Subject
#16 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 11:04 AM
i like sims 3 more, but you can do more stuff in sims 2, but soon enough there will be expansion packs coming out for TS3
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 4:10 PM
I do, since I don't have TS3.

Don't you wanna fly so high above the clouds and trees,
Learn a thing from birds and bees ,
See the morning rise over the ocean up ahead?

tumblr|lastfm
Alchemist
#18 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 4:19 PM
For me, Sims 2 allows much more creation because of all the world of CC. Sims look better, also thanks to CC. Rooms and houses look better and the possibilities are endless.

But I don't find Sims 2 particularly immersive gameplay wise. It can be. But I think 3 takes the cake on that aspect. At least so far it has. Maybe that's just because it's new and unpredictable.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 4:48 PM Last edited by blackdaisies : 23rd Jun 2009 at 5:07 PM.
There are so many elements of TS3 that I really love, but at the same time there's a lot of things that I miss in TS2, small things that most probably don't care about but actually kind of bother me. Like memories (it would have been nice to have a memory for who the mystery parent of random babies are, for example), custom neighbourhoods and animations for getting into cars. And I love the idea of neighbourhood progression, but I don't want my Sims to move away and disappear. I also miss the expansion packs too. The freetime hobbies, the seasons, even the annoying supernatural Sims. I'm also too attached to my current sims right now, I don't feel like I can stop playing them just yet.

I might play Ts3 again when there's an expansion pack or when my current generation dies off. I'll probably enjoy it too. Right now, I'm still liking my Ts2 game.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 12:00 AM Last edited by boolPropped : 24th Jun 2009 at 12:14 AM.
I don't have TS3 but my friend does. I've played her game for a little while. I like the new traits & personalities (I wish we had those in TS2). But I have to say I really hate the way the sims' faces look in that game. In my opinion, they all look like they've had really bad plastic surgery and to tell the truth most of the custom skins I've seen don't look any better (btw for the people that say all maxis skins look crappy: the CC skin I use in TS2 is a maxis match skin that has extra features added, like nipples & the eyes and shoulders are more defined, etc).

Quote: Originally posted by blackdaisies
Like memories (it would have been nice to have a memory for who the mystery parent of random babies are, for example), custom neighbourhoods and animations for getting into cars. And I love the idea of neighbourhood progression, but I don't want my Sims to move away and disappear.

I agree with everything here. I'd miss all these features from TS2 too. The story progression is a major turn off for me. I don't intend to buy the game at the moment because the things I don't like about the game outweight the things I do like.
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 8:03 AM
I played TS3 for half an hour over at my friend's house (I used him as my guinea pig really) and got really bored. Although the seamless neighbourhood is not bad and traits are really nice, I don't like the rest of it, gameplay-wise. I hate Sims moving out on their own or get pregnant out of the blue. No, no, no. *I* am the one who should make these decisions, not you, stupid game. In short, I am not buying it.

I'm sticking with TS2 and keep enjoying it as ever.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 1:40 PM
I do.

If I tried to explain why, it would take forever. I just like TS2 better and I actually love it even more now that I've tried to play TS3.

LJ
Scholar
#23 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 8:09 PM
I have both and I adore both in different ways. But if I could keep only one on my machine, it would have to be Sims2 because it is a completed work and Sims3 is just a beginning. Fortunately I am able to keep both on my machine.

I have plenty of complaints about Sims2 but overall I find it to be really fun and most of all I relish the ability to customize almost every aspect of it. And I suppose even a lot of my complaints can by now be solved by hacks and mods.

I really hate not being able to design my own neighborhood in Sims2. I want rivers AND a beach and not have to choose between the two just because I have only Sunnywhatever and Riverwhatever maps to pick between.

I LOVE my celebrity sims--both the ones I make and the ones I download from my friends here. I have seen a few very good Sims3 celebrities and have thus far made one decent celebrity of my own that I will eventually get around to uploading. The sculpting tools for Sims3 aren't as bad as I first thought but the layout is poor and toggling through the screens to get at the sliders I want is more work than it is in Bodyshop. In the absence of a Bodyshop type of sculpting tool, Sims3 doesn't let you be quite as focused on your little peeps as you'd like. With Sims3 it really does seem to be more about the scenery. Even this one gorgeous Zachary Quinto sim that I downloaded looks kind of "meh" in the game. He is really cute in the Create A Sim preview screen though. I can tell the artist who made him did an amazing job. If I could afford a top-of-the line graphics card then mabye he'd look as good in-game as he does in the creation screen. But that's the thing--on my existing card Sims2 celebs look awesome already and probably exactly as their creators intended them to look.

I am worried that once EPs do come out for Sims3 that it will not run as well as a fully fleshed out Sims2 setup runs. And even with loading screens and all the stutters that accompany my version of Sims2 set with most graphics options maxed out by default, it DOES run. I'm not entirely sure Sims3 can be expanded to the same extent and run smoothly. Already I can not run all the graphics options set to max by default.

I could be completely offbase in my concerns and so I'm going to research the forums and see what the experts think.

Anyway I'm glad to see players and CC creators are still enjoying and creating for Sims2. It's worth it to keep it going a year or two more AT LEAST. Some of us have only just reached the peak of our CC making or game-playing skills and have a lot more we can contribute to the game. I'm still seeing jaw-dropping CC uploaded for S2 every day and seeing more concepts of how to play the game.

What I DO enjoy Sims3 for is the console-like gameplay experience but being a pc game, it does give you more control over your characters' looks and environment than a console-only experience does.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 11:49 PM
Right now I'm going back between the two. I played the sims 3 for about a week when it came out, but it just made me miss The Sims 2 and all my CC!

So as of now I'm playing Sims 2, but I'm starting to miss Sims 3. I mean the open neighborhood, traits, and Create-A-Style are just AWESOME! I love them so much that I'll put up with the fugly sims and broken gameplay.

I don't think I'll make a COMPLETE switch over till more CC comes out. I know the great modders out there can make it happen! And I'll be so greatful!

But until then, I'm diggin' Sims 2 more.
Scholar
#25 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 7:22 AM
In Sims3 I actually finally managed to get some cute sims. Some were ones I downloaded and tweaked, some I downloaded and enjoyed as-is, and a couple I just made out of the pre-made sims. With a bit of practice on the sliders they aren't that bad looking. At least there is not as huge a difference between townies and custom sims in 3 that it feels freakish to let your sims date or befriend a townie. In my Sims, I tend to avoid the townies because they look like entirely different species from my pretty little custom sims.

I wish we could just somehow get all the best minds together to come up with a totally different Sims game altogether, that takes the best of 2 and combines it with the slight but meaningful advances of Sims3. I do think the modders are doing their darnedest to make something really cool out of 3. But it sounds like a real uphill slog. That's probably a good thing. Knowing some of those modders' personalities, they would be bored and not interested if it were not challenging.
Page 1 of 32