Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#10926 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 11:27 PM
My favorite saying about the subject:

"Don't lament getting old, It's a privilege denied to many." (link to good article: https://exploringyourmind.com/dont-...ge-denied-many/)
Mine:
"Just think of how many people you have outlived by getting old."

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10927 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 11:54 PM
I much prefer being old to being young; I was pissed off with everything in my teens & 20s but now I laugh at what a fuss I made!
Mad Poster
#10928 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 12:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I much prefer being old to being young; I was pissed off with everything in my teens & 20s but now I laugh at what a fuss I made!

Laugh? I feel embarrassed many times when I recall what a jackass I was. Let's admit facts, everyone is one when they're young. It's growing out of it and learning from it that enables you to grow older.

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Mad Poster
#10929 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 3:50 AM
...to disagree...I was an obedient child, a fearful teen. Now I'm old; I've earned the right to be opinionated. .and bossy, and look, act, think, feel, however I want. Inappropriate? bite me

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#10930 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 4:20 AM
That's step 1.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#10931 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 8:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
There was a time when the newest housing fad in simland was shipping containers. there are a few featured here.

Now it appears the fad has become possible in the real world.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/14/us/c...-cfc/index.html

I'm surprised it hasn't become more popular-the housing crisis is bad enough that these would be an acceptable replacement for tiny houses or trailers (er, 'manufactured houses).

Used in Africa and also South Africa often; from student housing to businesses to homes.

(As for the old age - man, it is wonderful - and I am grateful to have come all the way ).
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#10932 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 1:37 PM
Remember when I said this?
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that GOS will have the annual "Spooky Dip" they sponsor every year-but they haven't announced when it runs, yet.

They announced it today:
Spooky Dip 2021! Submissions and discussion

Forum Resident
#10933 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 11:20 PM
I have found that to create more unique sims without cc sometimes I am better off creating them with a cc hairstyle first. Always using the same hairstyles of the game clouds my mind and I start to see all the sims the same.

I suppose that it is a question of perception of each one.
Scholar
#10934 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 12:10 AM
Buck Grunt won the Tsang Footwork Award for excellence in dancing, but had zero Body skill. So . . . dancing isn't a good physical workout? I seem to remember the dancers from Fame having something to say about that idea!

Second random thought: probably at least half the people reading this are too young to have a clue what I'm talking about.
Mad Poster
#10935 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 12:36 AM
Don't underestimate the age of the demographic here.

Nope, dancing is unfairly treated as not part of a fitness regimen; possibly because it'd be too easy to get fit, with all the spontaneous dancing sims do.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10936 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 12:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
I seem to remember the dancers from Fame having something to say about that idea!

:lovestruc
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#10937 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin

Nope, dancing is unfairly treated as not part of a fitness regimen; possibly because it'd be too easy to get fit, with all the spontaneous dancing sims do.

There is, however, a mod for that! Now do I remember who made that or have it in my game on my new old computer? No, of course not. But I do think it's a very appropriate mod, and sooner or later I will find it or get it back in.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Scholar
#10938 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin

I'm not sure I am. I know a lot of us are older, but there's a surprising number of teens and young 20s, too. And it's a horrible thought, but there are probably parents of teenagers who are still too young to remember Fame (at least the TV series; they may have seen the movie at some point)!
Forum Resident
#10939 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 5:04 PM
Haha, I'm defiantly one of the younger ones here; I'm 20 turning 21 this month. I'm the same age as the entire The Sims franchise (I think) and another one of my favourite games of all time (FFIX). I don't know how I feel about that. I've never heard of Fame, but then again I'm not a massive TV or movie watcher, I just watch YouTube and anime

As for my random thought...

Something that I just noticed with a lot of the women in Veronaville, provided it isn't just me who thinks this, but a large majority of them seem to be built off of the "Cassandra Goth Face Template," the actual archetype name escapes me at the moment. The mouths in particular look ripped from that template and Beatrice Monty looks extremely similar to Cassandra and Don's offspring; she could seriously pass of as a long lost relative of Isabelle Lothario and it's throwing me for a loop.

The only sims I've noticed it with are Juliette, Hermia, Miranda, Bianca, and Beatrice. Not bad in the grand scheme of things, but I feel like I'm seeing Cassandra everywhere. The mouth is a giveaway for me. Tank is built off of this template also, again, it's the mouth that gives it away and the fact that his two eldest daughters who inherited his mouth have similar looking mouths to Cassandra.

I don't know, I might just be over-analysising their faces and in actuality there is no relation with Cassandra's facial archetype, but it's something that popped into my head yesterday that I needed to get off my chest. Just to say it and get confirmation whether I'm not the only one who thinks this

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10940 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 11:27 PM
Well, tomorrow is my big day: threescore and ten -- the Allotted Span. Even by my quite generous standards, 70 is really the beginning of old age. (When my sister was 14, she used to think that girls of 19 were "past it"! My scheme in contrast, worked out when I was a child was: 0 to 39 - young; 40 to 69 - middle aged; 70 and over - old).

Myself I still feel more like 17 than 70. It all feels a bit scary. So I think I'll work even harder to try to keep the Grim Reaper away from my Sims -- and from myself!

I'm not the only one starting to feel their age. Gloria's current career notes read:
'You're at the top of your game. Your body works like a well-oiled machine, but it's taking longer to recover from your injuries. How long can you remain "Number One"? It's probably a good time to start thinking about future opportunities. You may be retiring much sooner than you think.'

Oooh! Gloria won't like that. Her whole understanding of herself has always been young, attractive, confident, outgoing and super-fit. Andrew won't like it either. The game now officially calls Gloria a "Superstar", but to Andrew his mum has always been a superstar. I fear he'll start to worry if he sees her slowing down.

I was trying to avoid looking, but editing a custom career based on the Athletic career meant that I couldn't help seeing that Gloria's next promotion will take her out of playing and into coaching. I'm sure in her heart Gloria would rather keep playing at the top of her game forever. I see she needs a charisma point to get that next promotion; I think I can probably use that fact to hold off her getting that promotion for the foreseeable future.

I have a very full schedule for my birthday tomorrow, but if I can manage to spend any time with my Sims, I'll try to make sure that I spend it at 19 Chorus Court with Gloria, Andrew, Julian and Garry -- my best and oldest friends in Veronaville. It feels kind of appropriate to share an important milestone (or millstone??) in my life with them. After all, they've let me share in the big moments in their lives.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#10941 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 11:54 PM
I'm sure Gloria will enjoy coaching once she reaches that point. But it's true that with aging off there's no point in hurrying.

The top level of sports is Hall of Famer, which involves going to lots of parties, watching games from the VIP lounge, and generally promoting the sport and Good Causes to keep the absurd amounts of money rolling in. She'll probably enjoy that, too. Eventually.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10942 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 12:38 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY @AndrewGloria !!!!!!!!!!!!

Screenshots
Forum Resident
#10943 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 2:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I see she needs a charisma point to get that next promotion; I think I can probably use that fact to hold off her getting that promotion for the foreseeable future.

@AndrewGloria

Have you heard about Cyjon's Job Stopinator? When it's in your sim's inventory, it stops them from getting promoted, regardless of Chance Cards or whether they've reached the requirements. Maybe you could use that so Gloria doesn't have to worry about skilling if you'd like that . I'm using it currently to keep Oberon as a Freelance Video Editor as it mentions that job in his bio and I wanted to keep it consistent, haha.

Happy Birthday and I hope you have a good one

Scholar
#10944 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 4:31 AM
Sims can still get promoted on a Chance Card if they have the Stopinator, but of course you can avoid that by just Ignoring the card.
Inventor
#10945 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 9:05 AM
I've forgotten how frustrating, but rewarding, it was to make your own legacy hood . I haven't even created my sims yet since I had to find the right terrain that suits my laundry list of needs: not too big, but not too small to the point I can't add lots, no wasted green space, no pointy mountains, no huge jigsaw puzzle roads, etc. I'm trying to do a radical downsize now that I'm more aware of what my desktop can handle (no more high poly hood deco for me). I think I finally managed to find a set of terrains that I think will fit perfectly for my game :D. Best part is I can split up my legacy hood between the terrains so it won't all be contained in one neighborhood

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10946 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 12:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
Sims can still get promoted on a Chance Card if they have the Stopinator, but of course you can avoid that by just Ignoring the card.

There's an optional package to prevent this, but they can still get demoted from chance card.
Forum Resident
#10947 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 4:01 PM
Yeah, I have the optional package that prevents that, but it came with the download, if I'm remembering correctly. They can still be demoted as previously mentioned, so they can just be ignored if nobody wants to dabble with the risks. I like Chance Cards, but sometimes they can annoying, especially when you're in the middle of an interesting story moment and you get two in a row Went on a tangent here.

Top Secret Researcher
#10948 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 11:38 PM
I wish ts2 on PS2 was modable. So many things I would've changed, oh boy.

For example the fact that they cancel their current action if you change from select mode to direct control mode. Only triangle should do that, nothing else!! And then they just stand there for ages if they were on the way to the carpool, and miss it!!
Also the fact that they have to pick up the food even if it's already on the table just to be able to eat it. Had another sim snatch the food from another sim that way. And she really needed the food because it was this sparkling food that raises your skills. The carpool was already there, she had to go without eating and missed a promotion because of that bitch!! Of course the thief was properly fought with and received the finger.
Rant over.

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10949 Old 13th Oct 2021 at 10:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
@ AndrewGloria

Have you heard about Cyjon's Job Stopinator? When it's in your sim's inventory, it stops them from getting promoted, regardless of Chance Cards or whether they've reached the requirements. Maybe you could use that so Gloria doesn't have to worry about skilling if you'd like that . I'm using it currently to keep Oberon as a Freelance Video Editor as it mentions that job in his bio and I wanted to keep it consistent, haha.

Happy Birthday and I hope you have a good one
Thanks CrystalFlame! Including thanks for the birthday greetings!

I do have the Job Stopinator. I downloaded it a few years ago, intending to use it alongside Cyjon's Townie Job Blocker to stop townie teens from getting teen jobs. (Very few of my playable teens have jobs, as they interfere too much in their social lives, while paying only minimal wages. Townie teens are even worse, because they don't even benefit from the wages.) Unfortunately the Job Blocker didn't work for me -- it caused all townies to freeze as soon as they set foot on the lot. It might have been my unusual combination of EPs that was causing the problem, so I might try again now I've got University.

Anyway, although I've got the Job Stopinator, I've never actually given a token to a Sim. Somehow very few of my Sims are career-focused. If I say to them, "Would you rather stay in skilling or go downtown clubbing?" they nearly all say, "Let's go clubbing!" Once they have enough to live on, they just don't push hard for further promotions.

As for Gloria, I don't want to stop her ever getting the promotion; after all her LTW is to be a Hall of Famer. My feeling for her is just that she'd like to go on playing at her peak for a season or two yet before she considers a move into coaching or management. There's something about being a professional athlete at the very top of her game. It's what Gloria has been dreaming about all her life. At the moment she's living the dream, and I'm sure she'll want to hold on to that as long as she can. I checked in SimPE, and her Charisma score is 4.52. If it reaches 5, she'll probably get that promotion, because the rest of her job performance is excellent, and she has of course about 49 family friends! (Even more so since Garry and Julian joined the family, adding all their friends to hers and Andrew's.) But I honestly don't think I'll need the Job Stopinator to put off the day when Gloria gets that promotion. If it was Logic or Creativity or Cooking or even Cleaning, I'd probably use the Stopinator, but I feel she's unlikely to gain the required Charisma skill unless I send her to gain it. I mean I've never seen a Sim autonomously go and start talking to themselves in the bathroom mirror in order to gain a charisma point! I don't blame them -- I too would find it deadly boring. (It's also said to be the first sign of madness!)

I do have a mod that makes singing karaoke increase charisma rather than creativity. (Because singing karaoke is a lot more fun than talking to yourself in the mirror!) There are however very few karaoke machines in and around Veronaville. There are as I recall three karaoke machines in FM in downtown Veronaville and one in another downtown lot (I forget which one). Obviously I won't be sending Gloria to either of those two in the near future. There is of course the possibility that Gloria turns up uncontrolled when I take other Sims there, that she then starts to sing karaoke, and that she sings enough to get her charisma score up to five. I think that's unlikely because Gloria is something of a special Sim to me -- she one of my original two Sims -- and she's my best friend's mum. So I do tend to notice when she arrives on a lot and check what she's up to.

Well, if Gloria manages to arrive on the lot unobserved and autonomously sing enough karaoke to bring her charisma score over five, I think I'll take that as Gloria's way of telling me that I was wrong, and that she is ready to move into coaching.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#10950 Old 13th Oct 2021 at 11:57 AM
AndrewGloria, I have that mod too and the community skilling mod, which I assume you also have. However, I have noticed that on community lots, my townies will build skills and the Sims I'm currently playing will build skills, but if any other playable Sims are there, they won't build skills. I don't know why this is, and maybe it's just a peculiarity of my setup, but there would be no danger of another playable autonomously building skills on a community lot if I wasn't actively playing them at the time.
Page 438 of 511