Replies: 11202 (Who?), Viewed: 463451 times.
Page 442 of 449
Mad Poster
#11026 Old 14th Nov 2021 at 10:20 PM Last edited by FranH : 14th Nov 2021 at 11:46 PM.
If you are double vaccinated and have had the booster, you should be all right to make it through an infection. Of course you are the only one who can tell what's wrong when it goes wrong, but I believe you'll be all right.
As for death thoughts-after being equally double vaccinated and boostered, I decided to take the last step an adult takes in their lifetime-I've had a lawyer draw up my will, living will, and medical documentation as to how and when I want to go to the happy Sims palace in the sky.
It's probably the most adult thing any adult ever does-because it makes you finally grow accustomed to the fact that one day you won't be here, and it won't matter what happens when it does. The best you can do is write it down and hope it goes the way you want.
But I'm not planning on dying very soon, either-heck, I haven't even retired yet, and just went through all kinds of tests to rule out that I might have cancer (having been a smoker for 40+ years) and so far I've been found to be good, amazingly enough.

But it's only because of the pandemic I think that we oldsters are getting so anxious-we've seen so much death in the past 2 years that it doesn't make us feel very certain about anything.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/#myfiles (including funerals!)
Mad Poster
#11027 Old 14th Nov 2021 at 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
A few days ago I developed a cough, which might be a mild cold, but might be Covid19. Now I have had two Covid19 vaccinations, plus a booster last month, so I should be fairly safe, but there's no certainty with this thing, and it got me to meditating on my death, as Roman Catholics used to be urged to do. Anyway, a couple of nights ago I was coughing so much that I couldn't sleep, and I was afraid the noise of me coughing would keep my mother awake too. So I came onto the forum to see what was going on. The forum was quiet -- deathly quiet I might say! The main thing that seemed to be going on, was Sim sample wanting more death, and kestrellynn granting that with a new mod to make it easier for a cowplant to eat your playable Sims when they're visiting their friends and neighbours. With me seriously considering the possibility that my first and final meeting with the Grim Reaper might only be days away, that was really not what I wanted to hear! (Actually I'd never need kestrellynn's mod, as my highest EP is OFB, which means that a cowplant could eat my non-controllable playables anyway. But that will never happen, because I won't ever allow the evil thing on my lots!!)

Anyway, if you're wondering where this is going, thinking about my own, possibly imminent, death, got me to thinking about what would happen to my Sims after my death. As things stand they would simply disappear from the world. None of my Real Life family and friends even know that I play The Sims, and, apart from a couple of Sims who were never even in my actual game, I've never shared any. But my Sims are important to me. Most of the Sims I play are younger than me -- many of them much younger. So I really feel that they ought to survive me. I should predecease them. Maybe I do almost think of my Sims as my children.

So what I'm thinking of is privately sharing at least some of my Sims with a small group of some of my closest friends on MTS. Andrew and Julian, at the very least, just have to outlive me. They're just starting out on their life together, and they have so much potential. And I think their families and friends should persist too. I know @Charity once said there was something missing in Veronaville because my Sims weren't there; she had read so much about them that she really expected them to be there.

And, @simsample , despite what you said about wanting "MOAR Death", I still count you as one of my best friends here -- I'm sure you wouldn't let a cowplant eat Andrew!

I suppose I could just share them generally, but I'd worry about how some people would treat them. The thought that somebody might be torturing Andrew, when I'm dead and no longer around to protect him, is really more than I can bear.

By the way, I'm not planning on dying. I've sent away a sample for PCR testing today, so I hope to hear that I'm clear in the next day or two. But I am now past my "allotted span" of threescore and ten, and might therefore be said to be living in "borrowed time". So I think it makes some sense to think about what provision I can make for my Sims, should the Grim Reaper call me to my long home.

Any thoughts?

Strongs, AndrewGloria. Get well soon. I have decided to just continue with my life - no boosters yet in sight here, and vaccinated started very late here as well, so we are far behind many countries. Did get both my shots; finally, but even before that, it seemed to me that, at my age, I need to go on with living while I have the time. And every time I coughed, I panicked a bit - but it was fine every time and I am still here. Thinking of you, and certainly have a soft spots for your sims as well by now
Scholar
#11028 Old 14th Nov 2021 at 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by omglo
The whole subject made me think about the deaths of members here and online in general. We've had active posters disappear, and there's no way of knowing what happened, and all you can do is hope that they're busy with life or chose to leave the community

Makes me think of Bulbizarre. They literally talked about committing suicide in this thread and some time after they disappeared from this forum, and haven't been here since ...
I did bring it up on the MTS server as soon as I saw it but there wasn't anything to do.
Ofc you hope for the best when people disappear online but the nature of it is that you'll never know.

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Top Secret Researcher
#11029 Old 14th Nov 2021 at 11:46 PM
This makes me want to apologize for all the times i've disappeared from here when I quit simming for long periods of time. I'm sorry. My husband died in February, not because of covid, and I saw on twitter a friend of his had no idea where he went. So I had to tell them and I have no idea if he had other online friends that are wondering what happened to him.
Covid wise i've had both my shots, minus the booster because I just had the second shot Sept 8th. I was worried about getting the shot because I have a lot of complicated medical issues, so I asked my doctor who told me to get it. Bad side effects for a day or 2 each time but after that i was fine. While i'm still worried about getting covid I rest a little easier now. Before that i'd worry over everything and I have chronic illness and allergies so it was a 24/7 nightmare.
I hope you feel better soon AndrewGloria.

My Simblr
They/He
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11030 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 2:15 AM
Two others who disappeared suddenly in recent years are music2ologist and gazania. I think music2ologist was in her eighties, and gazania had health issues. I miss Bulbizarre too. I suppose it wouldn't do any harm to send them PMs.

I'm trying to persuade BlueAlien to come back too (though I'm pretty sure she's still alive) -- I don't like losing regulars from the forum.

Thanks for all your words of encouragement. I'll let you know the result of my test.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#11031 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 4:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedjr89
This makes me want to apologize for all the times i've disappeared from here when I quit simming for long periods of time. I'm sorry. My husband died in February, not because of covid, and I saw on twitter a friend of his had no idea where he went. So I had to tell them and I have no idea if he had other online friends that are wondering what happened to him.
Covid wise i've had both my shots, minus the booster because I just had the second shot Sept 8th. I was worried about getting the shot because I have a lot of complicated medical issues, so I asked my doctor who told me to get it. Bad side effects for a day or 2 each time but after that i was fine. While i'm still worried about getting covid I rest a little easier now. Before that i'd worry over everything and I have chronic illness and allergies so it was a 24/7 nightmare.
I hope you feel better soon AndrewGloria.

Condolences to you for your husband's death. It's a hard thing to go through, especially telling his friends what happened when they had no idea he was sick to begin with.

My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/#myfiles (including funerals!)
Top Secret Researcher
#11032 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 6:45 AM
@FranH Thank you.

Normally it wouldn't bother me, but I can't help but wonder why someone found my last post funny? My husband's death? Covid? My health issues?

Sorry. I shouldn't let that get to me. This year has been harder than any before and I honestly don't know how i'm still here. Sims has been helping me lately. And reading.

My Simblr
They/He
Mad Poster
#11033 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 9:14 AM
I would have said that they meant to go for love and mishit the button, but seeing as they also found your next post funny I think they're just a troll. Pity the trolls never manage to disappear from the forum.

@AndrewGloria

I'm sure you'll be fine! Wretched Covid is a pain in the butt for all the anxiety it causes. It's now rampant in our community and I'm anxious about going to my dermatologist appointment on Wednesday.

As for what would happen if your sims came to live with me, well you already know that I find it hard to kill sims, so they won't need to worry about being offed or even getting old really. They will, however, have to deal with fires again (but I religiously put smoke alarms in all my houses). Yes, I do keep stuff like fires for realism, but make sure that they aren't going to be able to do anything anyway lol. Also, I like supernaturals, so they might run into the witches or the grand vampires at a community lot (okay, so sometimes I prefer fantasy over realism). I am afraid that Julian will be made to wear a shirt sometimes. It snows in the winter and he's not going outside in his underwear in the snow! They will probably get a pet. Somehow most of my sim households end up with a cat or a dog. XD They will also probably be packed off to University, as I've been curious for ages to see what Andrew will make of Uni life. Of course they could also go on a belated honeymoon as I have Bon Voyage and there are new hobbies and stuff for them to get into with Freetime. I can see Andrew and Julian in a nice little apartment close to the Uni.

I am way overthinking this and you're going to be fine anyway!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11034 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 11:22 AM
@AndrewGloria I hope you are feeling better and don't have Covid. I hope when people stop coming it's for other reasons such as they stopped playing sims and are playing Dragon Age or doing something else enjoyable.

@wickedjr89 So sorry to hear about your husband.

I had horrible stomach flu a few weeks back, ended up in hospital. It set off one of my underlying conditions which had been under control. I am doing a lot better now, just have to be careful with my diet.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11035 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 11:52 AM
Boy, don't I hate trolls, because they think they're being funny when they're just plain old irritating and acting childishly. Immaturity seems to be their guiding personal trait. "I wanna be edgy and obnoxious!"
You're just being an idiot.

Mad Poster
#11036 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 1:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
Two others who disappeared suddenly in recent years are music2ologist and gazania. I think music2ologist was in her eighties, and gazania had health issues. I miss Bulbizarre too. I suppose it wouldn't do any harm to send them PMs.

I'm trying to persuade BlueAlien to come back too (though I'm pretty sure she's still alive) -- I don't like losing regulars from the forum.

Thanks for all your words of encouragement. I'll let you know the result of my test.

I know.
The hard thing hear is, that when somebody vanishes into thin air, one has no proof of anything, and can only make our own deductions - and one really wants to just be sure.
I believe Gazania has left us - indeed health issues, but she did tell me via PM that she was seriously ill, and that building an playing helped her a lot mentally in handling it. I would be the happiest person on earth if I am wrong.
As for music2ologist - I miss her too, and she always had these interesting sims, like Charles Dickens writing his new best seller.

At times, I don't post for a while because RL is hectic - but there certainly is a difference between that and vanishing completely

As for the others on here: the funny one on my previous post also seems out of place, doesn't it? Probably somebody with nothing better to do and no life to live, so do not take it seriously. I am a widow myself I understand the reaction to the likes so well, having heard many stupid remarks during my life from many, and it is exhausting, because one really has enough other things to handle.

@joandsarah77 - good to hear you are at home, hoping for a full recovery for you.
Alchemist
#11037 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 2:36 PM
I saw a post saying that Bulbizarre was on one of the discords. I don't know if that's true, or if it was true at one time and now they're off the radar. I think about Chris Hatch, who was always in the Creator section or in Help, ready to lend his expertise, until he wasn't.

WickedJr89, I'm sorry about your husband. I remember when you returned, and I wish it was under better circumstances. Joandsarah, I'm glad you're doing better.
Mad Poster
#11038 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 5:05 PM
What happened to Chris Hatch? I wasn't aware he isn't here anymore, but I did check his profile, and the last time he was here was back in February.
I hope it wasn't the worst case scenario, but you never know how old people are and what their actual health is in real life.

I think it's because we all feel timeless and ageless on this forum, and we like to think everyone is the same age-about 25 and immortal. Alas, though, we are not.

Forum Resident
#11039 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 5:19 PM
I've wondered about Chris Hatch, too. He was really helpful and seemed to be a frequent visitor, but he just disappeared randomly. I hope he's alright. In fact, I hope everyone is okay after reading above comments.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Top Secret Researcher
#11040 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 5:28 PM
@Charity, @omglo and @Justpetro Thank you. I shouldn't have fed the troll. Wish i'd thought of maybe it was a mishit. Like you said petro, one really has enough other things to handle.

My Simblr
They/He
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11041 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 6:19 PM
My good news: My mother and I got our test results back and we're both negative. We haven't got Covid! So hopefully my meeting with the Grim Reaper will be postponed for a few years yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH
As for death thoughts-after being equally double vaccinated and boostered, I decided to take the last step an adult takes in their lifetime-I've had a lawyer draw up my will, living will, and medical documentation as to how and when I want to go to the happy Sims palace in the sky.
It's probably the most adult thing any adult ever does-because it makes you finally grow accustomed to the fact that one day you won't be here, and it won't matter what happens when it does. The best you can do is write it down and hope it goes the way you want.
But I'm not planning on dying very soon, either-heck, I haven't even retired yet, and just went through all kinds of tests to rule out that I might have cancer (having been a smoker for 40+ years) and so far I've been found to be good, amazingly enough.
But my first thought was to make provision for my Sims!! Shows where my priorities lie! Maybe also says something about how mature I am. In my defence I can only say that, apart from my 92-year-old mother, I haven't got any real life dependants.

I'll post again soon!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Field Researcher
#11042 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 7:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH
I think it's because we all feel timeless and ageless on this forum, and we like to think everyone is the same age-about 25 and immortal. Alas, though, we are not.

It's the thing about online interaction, while we know every one of us has their real life to live and all it brings, we think the people we see here posting day in and day out are timeless, stuck in specific instance, almost like Gallifreyan art. And when we realise we haven't read anything from them in a while, that's when we snap back to reality and remember they're not. Though I do hope everything turns out for the best and they're just taking a break, like jo said, to play Dragon Age or something else. I know I take these breaks from the Sims all the time.

@wickedjr89 so sorry to hear that.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#11043 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 8:52 PM
Guys, don't feed the trolls! It only gives them courage to click more buttons!

It's great to see members actually caring about each other's well being, humanity is not a total loss yet! But, could we please try to stay on topic? I really hate making swiss cheese out of threads.
Inventor
#11044 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 9:16 PM
finding that for some reason Downtown has been corrupted, red flashing in which ever hood I load it into. must be the tricous.
Mad Poster
#11045 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 4:47 AM
Maybe the most recent slew of posts (with their decidedly serious undertones) aren't the best example to point this out from, but I love seeing people so invested in their game, even if I myself have never been that connected to my Sims (or honestly probably even my buildings)...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Field Researcher
#11046 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 5:04 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 16th Nov 2021 at 12:24 PM.
I realized that the plumbots have animations related to temperature/ambient ... that drives me a little crazy They are robots!
Inventor
#11047 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 5:20 AM Last edited by Sims2Christain : 16th Nov 2021 at 6:08 AM.
who can also become zombie werewolf vampires... okay, who programmed those responses to being bit?!
Field Researcher
#11048 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 5:29 AM
Sims2Christain Yes, although it has always seemed like a kind of gift to hybrid fans to me, when I was little I loved trying those things.
Mad Poster
#11049 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 5:31 AM
I know I wanted to populate Arundel with more people, but good lord, women! You're all a passel of baby birthing machine!

Mad Poster
#11050 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 6:19 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 16th Nov 2021 at 12:24 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeLunatic
Guys, don't feed the trolls! It only gives them courage to click more buttons!

It's great to see members actually caring about each other's well being, humanity is not a total loss yet! But, could we please try to stay on topic? I really hate making swiss cheese out of threads.

I'm not sure how you stay on topic in a thread literally called random thoughts. XD
Page 442 of 449