Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
1978 gallons of pancake batter
Original Poster
#26 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 8:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
I'm trying to imagine what's different about your game than mine other than patch status. Do you think this could be the issue?
I don't see how that could be. I quadruple-checked the code and I see absolutely nothing in the mirror interactions that I didn't do in the VanishingObject interactions just the same. If you're willing to upload your gameplay.package somewhere, I'll reference the older code in C# and look if errors pop up.

I'll update the source code in the first post. Maybe a coder takes a look and finds something that didn't occur to me. I'll add a testing object, too, so maybe people are willing to try it who don't actually do object modding. I really appreciate your testing, but I'm hoping for a more widespread input.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Advertisement
Original Poster
#27 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 10:04 PM
Thanks. Nothing so far, though. The Notification style for that one debug Notification that's in there, doesnt exist in the older code yet. But there's a fallback in the EA code, so that doesn't matter and it's not even remotely related to the mirror interactions in my code.

Ok, that's going to sound greedy, but can you upload the scripts.package and simcore.package, too? I'm going to log for today soon, though. It's sleepy time where I am located.

Alchemist
#28 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 10:29 PM Last edited by orangemittens : 8th Jun 2010 at 12:42 AM.
Good luck with it. IMO it's already better than what we had in S2.
Original Poster
#29 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 4:31 PM
Nothing. Zip. Nada. Nothing in the code is patch-dependent. I guess we'll have to wait, until somebody confirms this either way.

It's nice that you consider it better than the TS2 OMSPs. It's a pretty difficult situation for me, though. There are features which work for me and don't work for you. That's something I simply cannot ignore from a coding point of view, but I don't want to rip this stuff out.

At least I took the chance to appear like a hypocrite and made this thing localizable. Made a German translation too. I will never see it in the game though.

Inventor
#30 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 6:16 PM
Very interresting mod Buzzler.
I'm doing some other stuff right now, so I used your pedestal to test.
Object behaves as expected has invisible menu and mirrors to. Toggle invisibility works. Menu on mirrors works.

My game is installed in english, WA and HELS all patches applied, except the latest 1.12 patch. All kind of hacks in use including Awesomemod and NRaas.
I used the patchindependant script.

Did I understand it right, that if I want to make a new object able to become invisible in the game, all you need is the Gameplay script from the object.
You will add that object script to your script package, I change it in my object, and thats it?

Is there a special reason, why you do not simply include all objects, or is this just for surfaces?
I mean I see use for all kind of invisible objects, especially when building a world that is not modern world.
Original Poster
#31 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 6:32 PM
Thanks for testing. Good to hear that the menu on the mirror works for somebody else. That irritated me to no end.

Yes, all I need to know is that stuff from the OBJK scriptClass key. Importing the code to the package and uploading it actually takes the majority of time between request and update. And yes, there is a reason, why I don't simply include all objects. While it takes little to no effort to add objects, it's still something I have to do manually. Adding objects isn't really the issue anyway. I'd have to browse the EA code for all objects that might be suitable, and add them one by one. Because I'm to lazy to do that, I'm waiting until people actually request something.

Inventor
#32 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 8:47 PM
May I request those two objects, please?
I have an invisible object for it, but they are difficult to place, because they are uhh invisible.

Sims3.Gameplay.Controllers.SmokeDetector
Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Electronics.BurglarAlarm
Original Poster
#33 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cocomama
Sims3.Gameplay.Controllers.SmokeDetector
Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Electronics.BurglarAlarm

Done. (Post lengthened to at least 7 characters.)

Inventor
#34 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 9:58 PM
Works like a charm, thank you very much.
Especially the fact that those invisible objects are visible when you click the Buy button is very usefull!
Great work Buzzler.
Alchemist
#35 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 12:50 AM
Great idea Coco!...a perfect application for this code. You should consider sharing it IMO because I think other people will want those EA items fixed in this way...it would be especially nice as a default replacement as I bet you've already thought of

B, while it's too bad for me that the mirror still doesn't work in my game I hardly would consider this a deal-breaker. It's a nice feature admittedly but people can adjust things how they want them simply by going into buy/build mode which is where they're gonna need to be to move things anyway.

When are you thinking you might post this for upload so meshers can link to it? Are there remaining issues you need to know about before you feel like you can?
Inventor
#36 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 9:37 AM
I think Buzzler needs some feedback from people that already have their game patched with the latest 1.12 etc patch and Ambitions.

The changes that I've made to those objects are so small/easy, I think everybody can do that. Maybe Buzzler can make a little tutorial for that, would be an excellent beginners mod.
If I would make a new mesh for them so they are new visible too, and add the ability to become invisible, that could be worth an upload.
But I am so busy with some other stuff, if you want do it, please do!
Original Poster
#37 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 3:56 PM
When are you thinking you might post this for upload so meshers can link to it? Are there remaining issues you need to know about before you feel like you can?
I don't really expect any issues, no. As far as coding goes this is barely complex. I would really like to know if the patch version triggers the nag screen or not, though. There's no point in advertising it as nag-screen-compliant otherwise.

And it would be great, if there were translations to other languages. This might be a vain wish, though. Or maybe someone volunteers once it's located in the regular downloads section.

The changes that I've made to those objects are so small/easy, I think everybody can do that.
I agree. This is probably as simple as it can possibly get.

Quote:
Maybe Buzzler can make a little tutorial for that, would be an excellent beginners mod.
I certainly could, but would that actually be tutorial material? I'm planning to add instructions for modders in a text file in the final zip to keep the upload free of modding mumbo-jumbo as far as possible.

Inventor
#38 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 11:44 PM
I think an instructions text file is something like a tutorial. It only usually does not have nice pictures for us foreigners to clarify the text.

OK so I am Dutch, and have tryed to make a translation in Dutch. But.. translating "Vanishable objects" would result in a very long string like this "objecten die de mogelijkheid hebben te verdwijnen"
As I think that "Vanishable" could very well can become a common known word to all simmers after your mod is uploaded, I did not translate that.
After all here in Holland we have some cleaning stuff, with the name "Vanish" and that also will make something disappear.

I also had some trouble to translate this: <KEY>VanishingObject/Control:ShowVisibilityMenuCheatText</KEY>
<STR>Adjusts whether or not the visibility interactions will show up on objects. Use {true/false} to set or without argument to toggle.</STR>

I never saw that in game, so I took a guess it should say what the cheat will do.
<STR>Verander of de zichtbaarheids opties te zien zijn op de objecten. Gebruik {wel/niet} of geen toevoeging om tussen deze te wisselen.</STR>

Maybe the arguments must stay true/false even in Dutch?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Buzzler-Dutch.rar (597 Bytes, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Alchemist
#39 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 12:51 AM
It *is* pretty simple...but B, never underestimate the mesher's mind's ability to complexify things past the point of human understanding...lol. If you want people to use it, and don't want to be plagued with questions, my suggestion is to include two pictures either in your post instructions or in the instructions you provide within the download....or both. They would look something like this (although maybe more pretty since my arrows are not very neat):

You're dealing with people who 1. may be intimidated by the very idea of a script to begin with, 2. don't know their way around S3PE and 3. are from all over the world and understand English to varying degrees...a picture is worth a thousand words

I've had people tell me they've added translations to my stuff so my guess is they will to yours also. I wouldn't fret on it if I were you.
Original Poster
#40 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 6:17 AM
OK so I am Dutch, and have tryed to make a translation in Dutch. But.. translating "Vanishable objects" would result in a very long string like this "objecten die de mogelijkheid hebben te verdwijnen"
As I think that "Vanishable" could very well can become a common known word to all simmers after your mod is uploaded, I did not translate that.
That's the advantage of English: If you can't find a fitting adjective, you can just make one up. I translated it to "flüchtig" (volatile/ethereal) in German. I could just resist the temptation to make it "ätherisch". Keeping it "vanishable" is all right too, though.

Quote:
After all here in Holland we have some cleaning stuff, with the name "Vanish" and that also will make something disappear. :D
"Vanish Oxy Action"?

Quote:
I never saw that in game, so I took a guess it should say what the cheat will do.
It's what should show up when you type "help" in the cheat console.

Quote:
Maybe the arguments must stay true/false even in Dutch?
Yes, the game code parses this directly into a boolean variable. A couple of my braincells got severely injured, when I figured this out. Kind of a pain if you try to parse a floating point value and the game insists on giving you an integer every time you omit the decimal separator. I've changed it back.

It *is* pretty simple...but B, never underestimate the mesher's mind's ability to complexify things past the point of human understanding...lol. If you want people to use it, and don't want to be plagued with questions, my suggestion is to include two pictures either in your post instructions or in the instructions you provide within the download....or both. They would look something like this (although maybe more pretty since my arrows are not very neat):{...}
All right, all right. No text file. It's going to be a PDF with pictures in it. Or none of the above but a tutorial on MTS instead?

Is a Mod reading this and can tell me, if it would be all right to make a tutorial?

Quote:
I've had people tell me they've added translations to my stuff so my guess is they will to yours also.
But they probably don't share their translations with people who aren't adept enough to do such a thing themselves, do they?

Alchemist
#41 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 11:08 AM
I'm not a mod so I can't answer the question about making a tutorial. IMO, for what it's worth, the best place to post the instructions with pictures would be in the post you use to upload with. That way downloaders can get the .package and the instructions for its use all in one place. And when, inevitably, someone posts questions about how to use it in your thread you can just refer them to the Overview page of your upload...you'd be surprised how many people download something without reading that part first

You could also make it clear that the instructions for people who want to add this feature to the object they are creating are different from the instructions for someone who just wants to use that feature which has already been added. If non-mesher downloaders aren't assured that all they have to do is install it like any other package they might be discouraged from downloading it.

People who do translations often do share. Look in the thread for my versatile glass shelving at post 21 My bet is, if you mentioned it in your uploads thread, you would probably get help on this from people willing to share.
Inventor
#42 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 11:47 AM
I do not want to add confusion here, but seeing the pictures from OM, I have to admit I did it differently!

After opening my clone in S3PE and activating the OBJK, I used the button Edit OBJK.

So I should say, please add pictures, now I wonder if I did it wrong.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#43 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 11:52 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 9th Jun 2010 at 12:34 PM.
Nice!...your way shortens things by a step

eta: Hmm...actually by more since you don't have all those commits to hit...lol. I like it
Original Poster
#44 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 3:05 PM
IMO, for what it's worth, the best place to post the instructions with pictures would be in the post you use to upload with. That way downloaders can get the .package and the instructions for its use all in one place.{...}If non-mesher downloaders aren't assured that all they have to do is install it like any other package they might be discouraged from downloading it.
That's why I originally planned to keep the upload post completely free of instructions for meshers. The first post of this thread is probably way to long already. I guess one picture and a few lines of text won't hurt anyone if there's a big fat hint that people who just want to use other modders' downloads don't need to do any of it.

So I should say, please add pictures, now I wonder if I did it wrong.
The effect is the same. I simply wasn't aware of the possibility to do it that way. Otherwise I would have suggested it from the start. That'll make the instructions for modders a lot simpler. Thanks for that.

Lab Assistant
#45 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 6:25 AM
Thanks so much Buzzler! It works *PERFECTLY*!!!
Now I can enlarge/reduce almost any object and place them almost anywhere!
Screenshots
Original Poster
#46 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 7:24 AM
In case anyone was waiting to upload their OMSPs or other stuff until this thing got uploaded: Wait's over. It's up.

Quote: Originally posted by sims_reality
Now I can enlarge/reduce almost any object and place them almost anywhere!
Good to hear you're still on it. I was wondering what you were doing since you never answered in your thread anymore.

Lab Assistant
#47 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 10:34 AM
Good to hear you're still on it. I was wondering what you were doing since you never answered in your thread anymore.[/QUOTE]

Oh,, sorry about that. I got sidetracked and was working on body meshing XD... I guess I'll make few more version and then upload it here. Thanks again for your work
Field Researcher
#48 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 7:25 PM
Hello Buzzler, thank you for all your work on scripting this !
I have Ambitions, my game is fully patched, I've just downloaded the script in the download section, the pedestal here and OM lended me one of the OMSP she is making, for testing. It all works fabulously, but I didn't see any new interaction on the mirrors though. I tested with two of the base game and I just had the usual ones.

I should also add that I'm using the newly introduced Mods folder in Documents, for all this. Not sure this is relevant, but anyway .
Original Poster
#49 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 7:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hazuitokage
It all works fabulously, but I didn't see any new interaction on the mirrors though.

Did you buy the mirrors just before looking for the interactions by any chance? I never added an event listener to listen for newly bought mirrors. It just never occured to me that someone might buy a mirror just to access the invisibility menu, so newly bought mirrors won't have the menu until you reload the (save)game. I'll add an event listener right away.

Alchemist
#50 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 7:53 PM
That was probably the issue I had then...I did buy the mirror just to test the interaction.

Did you happen to see my post in the downloads thread...if at all possible it would be great if just one more coffee table could be added. I posted the scriptclass name there.
Page 2 of 3