Replies: 27463 (Who?), Viewed: 770332 times.
Page 1099 of 1099
Mad Poster
#27451 Old Yesterday at 7:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by omglo
. . . I think players would be angry if their entire lot was demolished and they lost all their hard work.
I think I might have given up playing completely if Martin Moltke had died in that kitchen fire in the first few weeks of my game. The pointless death of a loved, and carefully thought out character might have been too much for me. After all I was sufficiently new to the game that I wasn't really hooked yet.

The Moltke family dealt with that fire much as I hope I would deal with a real life house fire, but a lot of what we did was actually wrong for a Sims fire. The first priority was to save little Hans Moltke (then a toddler), who was sleeping in his crib in the room above the fire. His mum Manuela ran up the stairs to get him and carry him out into the safety of the garden. Meanwhile young Julian left his homework, which he had just started, and courageously ran into the burning house to reach the 'phone and summon the fire brigade. I pretty much left Martin in the burning kitchen to his own resources. What happened next I'll never understand. When the fire brigade arrived, instead of praising Julian for his courage, they lectured him and fined him for a false alarm. (It devastated him and it took him weeks to recover.) Somehow the fire had gone out. I can only think that Martin autonomously extinguished it (though people tell me that's impossible). The important thing is that everyone was safe, and I was able to go on playing an intact family. And I quickly went on to fall in love with my Sims and with the game. Damage to property is upsetting, but it can be repaired and rebuilt. Loss of life is devastating.

A family home being destroyed by fire is a disaster, but it turns into tragedy if any of the inhabitants die in the fire. There can be something fascinating about watching fire engulf and destroy a building as long as you don't think someone might be trapped inside it. I remember watching a fire in a building in central Glasgow a few years ago. There were sheets of flame pouring out of every window (window frames and glass were long since gone) and the roof was starting to go. It was obvious no one could be alive in the building. A crowd of people (of which I was one) had gathered on the pavement (sidewalk) opposite and were watching transfixed. After a while I started to notice that my foot was feeling warm; I looked down to see I was standing on a red-hot ember, and the rubber sole of my trainers was starting to melt. I decided it was definitely time for me to move on! As I left I saw the police arrive and start to move the crowd back.

So I think I'd be quite happy to watch fire engulf a Sims building, but first I'd have to know that my Sims were all safe. Flesh and blood are infinitely more important to me than bricks and mortar.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Top Secret Researcher
#27452 Old Yesterday at 7:33 PM
Well, I don't mind my Sims dying, and even so I've never had a Sim die by accident in a fire (in Sims 2, in Sims 1 it's quite a bit easier from what I remember, or it was because I was a young child) even if a Sim catches fire, you still have a lot of time to extinguish them. The only times I had Sims die in a fire was if I deliberately chose not to do anything, and didn't have a fire detector.
One time I had a Sim setting themselves on fire from making a Baked Alaska. haha. Even then i could have still saved her.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#27453 Old Yesterday at 7:37 PM
I've had a few killed by fire. Most of them were in the accidental fire set by a lighting strike, and from then on, I've kept my pixels inside a house when that happens, with the doors locked. Then they call the fire department which shows up and fights the fire for however long it takes.

But I had one incident where a vengeful ex-resident of a mental health facility decided to blow the place up because they were mentally disturbed and hated everyone there.
It was ruled arson and the urns were moved to the cemetery. The arsonist was never charged because all the evidence had been lost in the fire.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/#myfiles (including funerals!)
Scholar
#27454 Old Yesterday at 8:26 PM
Quote:
I don't think it would be hard to set the game up to destroy the whole home. It doesn't have to be realistic, only burning a certain portion of the walls or the roof. You could just have the game turn the entire thing to rubble. But I think players would be angry if their entire lot was demolished and they lost all their hard work.

Having the lot demolished wouldn't bother me at all - I was most disappointed when my Tester family suffered nothing more than a loss in value of their still-functional stove after their youngest put toaster pastries in the oven, then got on the school bus and left them there all day! These days, of course, I could move them out, use Family Funds to reduce their funds to what they'd had in cash, and put them back on a completely empty lot, but I didn't know about Family Funds then.

What does bother me is the way Sims moth fires. I lost Lucy Burb and Tosha Go to a lightning fire in their Freshman year, which devastated me and the Burbs. The girls were asleep when the fire broke out, but as soon as they woke up they rushed outside and into the flames. I would much rather see realistic damage to property, but have Sims behave less stupidly when a fire does break out: they should at least be able to call the fire department if so directed (maybe even autonomously, depending on personality) without dropping it from the queue and rushing straight back into danger. Introducing Fire Safety to take the edge off the stupidity didn't really cut it, IMO. Fire Safety should have taught them how to behave if they were on fire, how to use a fire extinguisher if someone else is on fire, and the noble art of not leaving something cooking when going to bed or leaving the lot, but getting out of the way and calling the fire department should have been basic behaviour.
retired moderator
#27455 Old Yesterday at 8:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
I remember watching a fire in a building in central Glasgow a few years ago.

Not the Mackintosh building? I cried!

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Alchemist
#27456 Old Yesterday at 9:14 PM
Okay, maybe I'd be the most bothered if the building was lost lol. The reason is that it's actually pretty difficult to lose a Sim, and these days you'll never lose them for good unless it's due to self-imposed rules about using the resurrectonomitron. A lot, on the other hand, isn't as easy to recover unless you've saved a copy in advance.
Mad Poster
#27457 Old Today at 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
Not the Mackintosh building? I cried!
No. It was the Ca' d'Oro (or Casa d'Oro) on the corner of Union Street and Gordon Street, just across the road from Glasgow Central Station. I came off a train and saw the flames reflected in the shop windows in Gordon Street as I came out of the station. I turned round to see the building completely ablaze. The building was not without architectural merit, but, as so often in main city shopping streets, I'd never noticed anything above the ground floor level where the shops are. In this case the building was rebuilt (and improved) after the fire. It has been extended along Union Street in the original style, and a rather ugly mansard roof has been removed. (I'd never heard of a mansard roof before I played TS2.) There's an article about the building on Wikipedia here and a picture of the fire here (taken maybe an hour after I was there -- after the road had been cleared and closed, and the Strathclyde Fire Brigade's work had begun to show some effect. It rather horrifies me to see that the fire was in 1987! It feels more like 10 years ago.

When I say i wouldn't mind watching a Sims building burn down, I suppose it depends which building. I wouldn't like to see Capp Manor burn down. And if it was the wonderful quirky old Veronaville Market, I think I'd cry! So much of the town's history is bound up in that place.

@BlueAlien I must say that, before I got the No More Fires mod most of my Sims behaved sensibly in fires. Martin Moltke (who usually seemed to be in the kitchen when a fire started) would calmly walk out of the kitchen, and stand at a safe distance till the fire brigade arrived. The only ones who mothed the fire were Glenda and Gerry McBain, a childlike but adorable pair of teenage siblings. Their behaviour, combined with an unusually slow response time from the Veronaville Fire Brigade, was what finally persuaded me to download and install Squinge's No More Fires mod. I've never for a moment regretted that decision; I'm a much more relaxed player now that I no longer have to fear that, at a moment's notice I may be having to fight for my Sims' lives.

A couple more observations about fires. When Sims were using the fire extinguishers, I found that I could put into effect the fire training I'd had when working on the railway: try to keep calm and direct the jet at the base of the fire. It worked, and I recall that Martin and Manuela Moltke became especially good at it. But I did find it scary, when you thought you had the fire out and it would flare up again. I'm glad I don't have to do it any more. Also in real life people seldom burn to death in a fire. The usual cause of death is smoke inhalation. That's why I feel that the best course of action is to evacuate the building as quickly and calmly as possible.

I'm not really one for rules -- self imposed or otherwise -- in my game, but I fear that, if a Sim did die in my game, I'd probably reluctantly accept it and bury them in the cemetery. I like to treat Sims much as I treat real people, and I can't bring real life friends back when they die. So I feel my best course of action is to look after my Sims to the very best of my ability (with the help of some mods), and then, hopefully, the situation won't arise. I'd much rather look after them and keep them alive than try to bring them back from the dead. I don't want to be laying flowers on their graves.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Theorist
#27458 Old Today at 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
Also in real life people seldom burn to death in a fire. The usual cause of death is smoke inhalation. That's why I feel that the best course of action is to evacuate the building as quickly and calmly as possible.

I think it's quite clear that sims do not actually need to breathe. You can lock them up in an airtight room for hours and they will not suffocate, they only eventually die of starvation. Even drowning deaths are not really caused by water inhalation, but by running out of energy.
retired moderator
#27459 Old Today at 12:41 AM
That building is gorgeous, Andrew! Must have been scary seeing it burn, but good that they restored and upgraded it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrellyn
I think it's quite clear that sims do not actually need to breathe.

They do so breathe! Otherwise they would be able to stay underwater for an indefinite time when playing Tim LeTourneau!

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Theorist
#27460 Old Today at 12:50 AM
Tim LeTourneau?
Top Secret Researcher
#27461 Old Today at 1:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample

They do so breathe! Otherwise they would be able to stay underwater for an indefinite time when playing Tim LeTourneau!

No, they don't breathe, there is no need for any oxygen programmed into them, they do not have lungs etc.
And fires in Sims don't even produce smoke.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Alchemist
#27462 Old Today at 1:55 AM
Since they don't die when they pass out on land, there's meant to be some mechanism that kills them if their head is underwater too long, and why not lungs, since that's obviously what the game was going for with their little fake people.
Scholar
#27463 Old Today at 2:13 AM
Quote:
Okay, maybe I'd be the most bothered if the building was lost lol. The reason is that it's actually pretty difficult to lose a Sim, and these days you'll never lose them for good unless it's due to self-imposed rules about using the resurrectonomitron. A lot, on the other hand, isn't as easy to recover unless you've saved a copy in advance.

You probably put a lot more work into your lots than I do. Maxis lots are easily replaced, and the very boxy houses I build don't take too long to redo if I forget to keep an unplayed copy in the bin, so I'm not bothered what happens to them. I considered not saving after Lucy and Tosha died, but that feels too controlling.

@AndrewGloria It's funny how Sims can behave so differently from one game to another. Mine, when there's a fire, look as if they're trying to remember how to smustle at warp speed, with added screaming. If I can line up 'extinguish' or 'call emergency services' enough times, I might get them to do it, but they start-and-drop, start-and-drop so quickly that I can't always click fast enough to keep the actions lined up, and then the 'fire dance' begins again.
Test Subject
#27464 Old Today at 2:45 AM
How often are username change requests processed? I feel like I should know, but I can't remember where I would have seen that info.
Page 1099 of 1099