Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd May 2020 at 12:42 PM
Default CM_silentconnect - what is it?
This file showed up in my Game folder recently - does anyone know what it is/does or if it's safe to remove? I can't see any posts about it anywhere.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd May 2020 at 1:45 PM
Never seen that one, and Googling it doesn't come up with any results. The 4th cache file is usually called "contentregistry" and only appears if you make stuff in Bodyshop. I can't imagine why this one would be there, unless it's connected to some sort of external program (or at worst, malware). Does it allow you to delete it or at least put it in the paper bin? And if so, does it reappear?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 3rd May 2020 at 4:31 PM
I found one other mention of that file on a French gaming forum from 2005. Nobody there knew what it was either. (http://www.jeuxvideo.com/forums/1-8...5-1-0-1-0-0.htm)

Googling for "silentconnect" by itself brought up several results, some of which appear to refer to automatic login without prompting the user for login information. Maybe this file is something to do with the "Auto-Login" setting that used to connect to the official Sims 2 site? There's also an autopatch command that sometimes comes up accidentally on my Sims 2cheat console. I don't know whether this has anything to do with it either. I've never seen this file pop up in my own game.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd May 2020 at 4:44 PM
Which version of the game do you have? The UC or CDs?
Just wondering if it could be a UC or Origin thing (I doubt it, though - I use the UC and haven't seen this file).

The date says 23. november 2019, so it could be related to something that happened on your computer at that date, unless the date changes if it reappears when you remove the file.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd May 2020 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Which version of the game do you have? The UC or CDs?
Just wondering if it could be a UC or Origin thing (I doubt it, though - I use the UC and haven't seen this file).

The date says 23. november 2019, so it could be related to something that happened on your computer at that date, unless the date changes if it reappears when you remove the file.

I have the UC version.
The date *could* be significant - I found and installed EAxis Content Manager and Homecrafter programs on that date (amongst other things) as I had begun to completely reorganise my Downloads folder in November after discovering the joys of default replacements.
I am tempted to delete the file as you suggest in the hopes nothing bad will happen.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 3rd May 2020 at 5:39 PM
It could be related to the Content Manager (which is a program I've only barely heard of, and never used, and I don't think a lot of people still use it because it's kinda old and possibly outdated, I'd imagine). The DDO is more used for checking/sorting CC, and the Clean Installer for installing Sims2packs and sorting through CC in them.

https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...Content_Manager
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd May 2020 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
It could be related to the Content Manager (which is a program I've only barely heard of, and never used, and I don't think a lot of people still use it because it's kinda old and possibly outdated, I'd imagine). The DDO is more used for checking CC, and the Clean Installer for installing Sims2packs.

https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...Content_Manager

I wondered that too after I went hunting for the date and realised the initials are CM! So I deleted the file and ran the game and everything seems good. Think I'll uninstall Content Manager as I haven't used it.
Many thanks for everyones input