Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#176 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 1:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I know of the patches. I only ask because EA weren't really find of mechanic integration from EP to EP.

They we're actually kind of good at this in TS3, imo. Kind of. Like, I never had a situation where I felt that the game was broken because I didn't install one of the EPs that time around. The basement tool is a good example.

On the other hand there were also a lot of features introduced in various EPs that clashed horribly with ones from others. I still don't understand why there couldn't have been some kind of integration between the band mechanics of LN and, well, the entirety of Showtime. Or, like, how they left the travelling system introduced in WA was kind of left to rot when it could have made Island Paradise a whole lot better than it could have been.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#177 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 4:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Megido
They we're actually kind of good at this in TS3, imo. Kind of. Like, I never had a situation where I felt that the game was broken because I didn't install one of the EPs that time around. The basement tool is a good example.

On the other hand there were also a lot of features introduced in various EPs that clashed horribly with ones from others. I still don't understand why there couldn't have been some kind of integration between the band mechanics of LN and, well, the entirety of Showtime. Or, like, how they left the travelling system introduced in WA was kind of left to rot when it could have made Island Paradise a whole lot better than it could have been.

The clashing of Late Night and Showtime was because the EPs were developed by two separate teams. The logical thing for them to do would be to make something different rather than something we already hard. Both EPs play to each other's weaknesses.

Island Paradise wasn't a vacation expansion, but it provided vacation-ish content. That's fine, but what the integrated lacked was being able to have a resort in a traveling without needing to cheat. That makes sense but EA didn't even like their own travel system and neglected to fix it or even patch WA until a year or so after the release of subsequent expansions. Unlike NL and SHT, WA and IP were developed by the same team.

Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
So they ripped off the llama guy from Uni. Llama, bear, whatever.

Although I got thrown for a loop one time when I got the llama guy out of their suit and discovered it was a chick. Which was OK, the mom still had some quality personal attention anyway. I mean, the llama responded to the flirt, and with that llama head on to muffle their voice, who could really tell before the costume came off?

I wouldn't call it copying. I'd call it something along the lines of the team didn't want to make an actual bear."

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Theorist
#178 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 5:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Island Paradise wasn't a vacation expansion, but it provided vacation-ish content.

Uh, please elaborate because I'm like 99.999999998% sure tropical world + boats + scuba diving + resorts + sandy beaches = vacation? no? LOL
Mad Poster
#179 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 6:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TMBrandon
Uh, please elaborate because I'm like 99.999999998% sure tropical world + boats + scuba diving + resorts + sandy beaches = vacation? no? LOL

It looked like a vacation/resort world but it wasn't a subworld to the home world. Your sims couldn't visit, they had to live there because it was a home world.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Forum Resident
#180 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 6:09 AM
The thing was, releasing an expansion where all of the content can only really be played properly in a single world (scuba diving especially; those lots were obnoxious to create oneself) or custom worlds that take an incredibly long time and large amount of effort to create, was an incredibly shitty design. IP would have worked much better if the neighborhood it had included had been a holiday destination like those in WA rather than a world in itself. They managed to get it down alright with ITF, where the ITF content could be traveled to from any world, like the WA content. I'm not sure why they didn't do that with IP.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#181 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 8:38 AM
I'm almost convinced that initially IP was supposed to be another travel pack but then was (hastily) changed into a regular EP with Isla Paradiso as a new homeworld.
Theorist
#182 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 4:55 PM
I personally think they phoned in the last 3 expansion packs no matter what. They got to the point where they could produce sims 3 content quickly and just went with it.

I survived September 2nd 2014 and all I got was this lousy thread - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532774
Test Subject
#183 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 5:51 PM
With the way the worlds work now it might be that you can live in a holiday world instead of it being a separate entity. Maybe if they release a holiday EP they could have a Spanish village where all the locals live and the rest of the world is for tourists.

I do have to admit with the way the worlds work now it's sort of like one continuous world. If only they made them bigger, perhaps maybe with an actual expansion pack instead of DLC?

Going slightly off topic here, do you think they'll release one of these game packs for the 15th anniversary? Like the best of the sims theme?
Lab Assistant
#184 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheRealLovecat
I personally think they phoned in the last 3 expansion packs no matter what. They got to the point where they could produce sims 3 content quickly and just went with it.

They had two studios each producing one XP a year. Another studio for Sims 3 store content. I'm not sure how stuff packs worked in that, but my guess is another studio.
Test Subject
#186 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaiko Espurr Mikkusu
Well you can already travel from Willow Creek to Oasis Springs and back, so...

Yeah that's what I mean. It works more fluidly than in previous games.

But maybe they won't release a separate EP for travelling, it might be that we get DLC for each world as we can already travel.
Test Subject
#188 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 7:52 PM
Yeah, maybe we get store worlds - ranging from Swedish mountains to Pacific islands to the heart of Africa to East Asia to even "unnatural" stuff like a Dragon Valley\Veronaville-ish medievaly fantasyland, a Midnight Hollow-type horror-y town, a faraway moon or planet a'la Lunar Lakes, et al. What about a Steampunk town? Or a "Cartoony\Berry" one. :D

Yeah, it would make sense as there is unlimited opportunities. And if you didn't like he fantasy style ones you could just skip them, and if you do you can get them. An expansion sort of ties you to buying the whole set, so if you like the fantasy but not the realistic you're sort of buying a full product for half the reason.
Forum Resident
#190 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 8:34 PM
So, is this the way expansion packs are going to work? Are they calling them "Game Packs" and selling them for $20 each?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. A part of me feels like this pack seems kind of boring. Although I think it would be cute if there's like a cottage area where you purchase a "vacation home" and you can visit your neighbours who own cottages nearby and stuff.

When they finally release a Seasons pack, this camping pack would go really well during the summer month.
Test Subject
#191 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 8:35 PM
Yeah, like maybe you want the hairs and clothes, but you do not want to actually have supernaturals in town or go to the future or go to university or be part of a band or go camping or be famous or whatever.

Yeah, absolutely!
Forum Resident
#192 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 8:38 PM
Oh, I see EA was comparing "Game Packs" to "Stuff Packs", so I guess we're still going to get full-fledged, more expensive "Expansion Packs" in the future. These "Games Packs" are just their new versions of SP, which I think is cool considering they definitely add more than just clothing/decor/etc.
Test Subject
#193 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WooHoo31
So, is this the way expansion packs are going to work? Are they calling them "Game Packs" and selling them for $20 each?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. A part of me feels like this pack seems kind of boring. Although I think it would be cute if there's like a cottage area where you purchase a "vacation home" and you can visit your neighbours who own cottages nearby and stuff.

When they finally release a Seasons pack, this camping pack would go really well during the summer month.

No they are DLC that will run along side the expansion packs and stuff packs, but these will be at a more "reasonable" price for the content provided. I personally feel that this pack is okay, not great but not awful. I think that this will be the method of introducing toddlers and other missed items/content.

And yes this would work great with seasons wouldn't it? :P
Theorist
#194 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 10:45 PM
Yeah, all pack types are mentioned in the game files. SP01 GP01 EP01.

I survived September 2nd 2014 and all I got was this lousy thread - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532774
Mad Poster
#195 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 11:44 PM
There is also an FP01 already installed, at least for those who have the Christmas set.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#196 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 12:00 AM
What does the F stand for?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#197 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 12:15 AM
Don't know. It might be FreePack since this is the Christmas set which was a freebie. Fun Pack maybe?

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Theorist
#198 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 12:16 AM
FreePack sounds right, or maybe even FeaturedPack?

Edit: or FannyPack, I've seen lots of old ladies lately with fannypacks filled with Christmas decor.
Mad Poster
#199 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 12:21 AM
FreePack sounds okay. It's better than an FUPack.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Field Researcher
#200 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 12:58 AM
Despite my disillusionment this still looks like better value than Destiny's joke of a DLC that Bungie had the sheer audacity to call an "expansion". At least "gameplay pack" gives a better idea of what you're getting.

"Find something to believe in, and find it for yourself. When you do, pass it on to the future".
Page 8 of 185