Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#10076 Old 10th Oct 2020 at 5:47 PM
I honestly think that it will be a lot easier to install the UC, as it's been updated for Windows 10. And it might take some time to get working to your satisfaction, but it's the last Sims update you'll ever need to make.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10077 Old 10th Oct 2020 at 5:55 PM
Thanks sugoisama! That worked! Now I've got the game installed at least. I started up Body Shop and it worked too!! It was lightning-fast too, though I have to admit there is, as yet no CC on this machine. Getting the game to actually run will, I suspect, have to wait till I get the SecuROM issue resolved one way or another, but at least it's now installed on the machine. Then I'll have all the fun of getting it to use my graphics card, CPU, etc.

But, for the moment, at least, I'm a happy bunny.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10078 Old 10th Oct 2020 at 9:15 PM
Hooray, well done @AndrewGloria !
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10079 Old 10th Oct 2020 at 11:15 PM
Thanks simsample. But the credit has to go to sugoisama for showing me what to do. I had forgotten that the built-in Administrator account even existed. It sometimes horrifies me just how much about computing I've forgotten. Not so long ago I was a reasonably good vba database programmer.

Charity, I may well end up using the UC, but I am rather in love with my game the way it is. If I can, I'd rather convert my existing game to high definition graphics, and then, perhaps, slowly add the later EPs one at a time. There are things in those EPs that I'd like, especially some pets, but I know there's a lot that I'd rather mod out, and getting them all at once I feel could be rather overwhelming.

Anyway, Body Shop is working -- and loading in about a minute -- even with all my CC. I've now copied all my CC (and my SavedSims files) from the old computer, so I can see it in Body Shop. So here for the first time on my new computer are Julian and Andrew, in the clothes they're planning to wear for their wedding:

Even in Body Shop I think they look better than on the old computer. (It's a pity Andrew had acne when I extracted his likeness in SimPE. Maybe I should redo it while he's still a teen.) I do hope they can get married in high definition. That outfit of Julian's looks bad in game in low definition.
Screenshots

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Test Subject
#10080 Old 10th Oct 2020 at 11:54 PM
AndrewGloria- Congratulations on your new computer! I have been following your adventures in Veronaville in lurking mode up till now and I am just happy for you and your Sims to get off that netbook!
Listen- SecuRom is not an issue until you have Bon Voyage installed. I have a Sims 2 disc install on one of my crappy desktops that stops at Seasons because the next expansion pack is Bon Voyage and I did not want to deal with the SecuRom nonsense.
Freetime and Apartment Life also have SecuRom, possibly Mansions and Gardens also. But anything up to Bon Voyage is fine.
Other than that, I can only say Good Luck and Best Wishes and fingers crossed you get your saved game up and running on the new PC. Windows 10 basically hates Sims 2 unless you are running crappy Intel integrated graphics. One must jump through hoops to get Sims 2 working but everyone's experience is different, some people have no problem with the Ultimate Collection, I should be so lucky.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10081 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 1:49 PM
bitmap52 , you seem to be right! There's something in my game that checks if I've got the right disc in my DVD drive, and doesn't let it start till I put it in. I always assumed that was SecuROM. And I understand that SecuROM isn't supported in Windows 10. But when I put the Double Deluxe disc into the DVD drive and started up the game (the traditional way via the Launcher) everything worked, and I got right to the 'hood select screen in a couple of minutes (which is much faster than my old computer). I stopped at the 'hood select screen because I hadn't even run the patches yet, and I've a few more things to add (CEP, collections, and of course my neighbourhoods). I also want to change the neighbourhoods in the Program Files to Tarlia's, but that won't affect me unless and until I start a new 'hood. (Very rare -- I don't do repeat play-throughs -- I just keep playing.) And I think there's something else that I changed in the Program Files, but I can't remember what it is!

I'll probably still have a lot to do to get good graphics, but so far I'm very happy. Not having to mess about with SecuROM is a big relief. Thanks again bitmap52.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10082 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 2:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
And I think there's something else that I changed in the Program Files, but I can't remember what it is!
Don't forget the CEP if you have Maxis recolours. Also fixes some Maxis item bugs.
Field Researcher
#10083 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 3:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria

Charity, I may well end up using the UC, but I am rather in love with my game the way it is. If I can, I'd rather convert my existing game to high definition graphics, and then, perhaps, slowly add the later EPs one at a time. There are things in those EPs that I'd like, especially some pets, but I know there's a lot that I'd rather mod out, and getting them all at once I feel could be rather overwhelming.

I wish there was a way to slowly add EPs with the UC!

I got it after only playing the Sims (1) when I was a Teen, and I definitely still feel overwhelmed with the sheer size of it. There are still things I have never used because I regularly forget all the features that I have. Adding EPs one by one after discovering all there is in one would be a great way to get into it!
Mad Poster
#10084 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 5:16 PM
^ I think the Any Game Starter can be made to work with the UC, so you can try out single EPs or smaller combos of EPs.
Alchemist
#10085 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 6:38 PM
I'll share what I have in my Program Files/outside my Downloads folder, and maybe that'll jog your memory, @AndrewGloria? CEP & default neighborhoods are the big ones, but you mentioned those. Another thing to add for Program Files is Scriptorium if you have any custom stairs for instance, or the Unleveled Wall, or if you use it to install your lighting mod--btw, don't forget to install your lighting mod if you have one!

Then I've got various things in Override folders and Bin folders. Things like Inteen's G file, HugeLunatic's rug fix, and files from various creators to add extra slots. Lord Darcy has a few EP/SP fixes as well and those usually go in Program Files, too, along with things like Lord Darcy's motive overrides for beds. Think of anything you might have placed in Program Files to avoid the custom cc star, really. Buyable Career and Aspiration Rewards, the Life Stories build/buy bundle, and mods to enable hats and glasses for townies are some other things I put in there. I don't have a lot of defaults, but sometimes simmers put defaults in Program Files to avoid deleting them accidentally, so I'll mention that.

Then in your Documents/TS2 folder, there's quite a bit that goes in there too. Don't forget your userstartup cheat, and your camera mods--though maybe you'll need to upgrade those if you've got a bigger screen than your old setup. If you put any movies or music in your game (like some TS1 music) or extra paintings for your sims to paint, or extra terrains, you'll want to add those, too. If you saved your Lot Catlog folder you'll get everything that was in your old bin if you restore the backup. I also have an Addon folder for some of Dickhurt's mods, but I know some people put that in the Downloads folder. And that's all I can think of for now.

I'm so happy you've got your game running, and in spiffy high def, too! If you don't already have them, I highly recommend putting in the TS3 tv files Omglo extracted here: https://earlypleasantview.tumblr.co...from-sims-3-for. They look really nice and much better than your sims' old tv files. And the aesthetic fits perfectly because they used TS2 to make the TS3 tv files! Whenever I see that when I play TS3, I wonder why the TS3 sims can't look as good. I thought that someone also updated TS2's tv files to be higher resolution, too, but I must have dreamed it because I can't find it.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone has a whole bunch of UI mods they'd like to recommend so be sure to tell us what you notice with your new specs, and what might need improving.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#10086 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 7:08 PM
I want to play medieval, but I don't want to abandon my baby legacy, but I want to play premades, but I want to . . .

It's that sort of day. I should go plant roses before it snows. (My mom has them in pots outside her cottage all summer, but they need to go in the ground now by my south wall.) And rake leaves. And pick and process a few bushels of apples.

It's Sunday. I allow myself to play today. The shoulds-pre-winter will be there tomorrow.

But what do I want to play?

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#10087 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 7:52 PM
When you figure out how to answer that question Sunbee, let me know! I look at downloads and I get an itch to go historical. Then I come back here on MTS, read up on everyone's games and gameplay ideas, and then I want to start that new integrated hood I've been planning. And then there's my actual current games right now--Pleasantview, waiting oh-so-patiently for me to finish building and start a mega hood--and Veronaville where Consort is waiting for me to get back to him in the rotation so he can take his grandchildren on vacation and finally cement the heirship of the family legacy and where I just left the Montys after introducing some major shake ups to the squeaky clean, by-the-book-family.

I feel like I need five of me right now--and they'd all be simming! One to play my current hoods, one to build stuff, one to clean out my Downloads folder, one to download new stuff and get rid of this 40 tab browser I've been keeping open for weeks, and another one to work on the rules for the integrated hood.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10088 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
I'll share what I have in my Program Files/outside my Downloads folder, and maybe that'll jog your memory, @AndrewGloria? CEP & default neighborhoods are the big ones, but you mentioned those. Another thing to add for Program Files is Scriptorium if you have any custom stairs for instance, or the Unleveled Wall, or if you use it to install your lighting mod--btw, don't forget to install your lighting mod if you have one!

Then I've got various things in Override folders and Bin folders. Things like Inteen's G file, HugeLunatic's rug fix, and files from various creators to add extra slots. Lord Darcy has a few EP/SP fixes as well and those usually go in Program Files, too, along with things like Lord Darcy's motive overrides for beds. Think of anything you might have placed in Program Files to avoid the custom cc star, really. Buyable Career and Aspiration Rewards, the Life Stories build/buy bundle, and mods to enable hats and glasses for townies are some other things I put in there. I don't have a lot of defaults, but sometimes simmers put defaults in Program Files to avoid deleting them accidentally, so I'll mention that.
Most of those I've either dealt with or I don't have. But I do have some mods by Lord Darcy to add extra slots. Whereabouts would I find those? I don't have a lighting mod, but I did once edit a text file (which I think was a lighting file) to make the sun direction on lots the same in Lot View as in Neighborhood View. I think that was in the Program Files somewhere. But where? There's a lot to remember in this game!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Alchemist
#10089 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 9:13 PM
Was it this one maybe? I used to use that before I switched to Hafiseazale's. That goes in the TSData/Res/Overrides folder of your latest EP.

aka Kelyns | she/her
Alchemist
#10090 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 9:54 PM
Shouldn't you be able to copy your TS2 program folder from the netbook and paste it on top of the one on the new laptop? That's what I've been doing with UC.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10091 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 10:11 PM
Yes that's the one. But it turns out it's only FreeTime fixes that go into Program Files. The ones I've got are all in Downloads (and they've been working there.

And I've found the lighting file that I changed. It's lighting.txt in C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Double Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res\Lights. I've replaced it with the one off my old machine. That, I hope, is all I need to get started. So here goes starting up the game!

Well that was interesting -- it deleted all the stuff I'd carefully brought across from my old machine. I ran vanilla Veronaville for a few minutes and the graphics were much better than I'd ever had before, but still not as good as they might be. I'm not sure if it's actually using my Nvidea card. Why it removed all the CC and reverted to Vanilla, I'm not sure, but I'll have to put it all back before I try again. I hope it will be OK now that I've actually opened a lot and run it for a few minutes.

Disappointing that I'll have it all to do again, but I've seen enough to make me hopeful. Everything was smoother than I've ever had before. But I must have my old Sims and all their stuff!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#10092 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 11:36 PM
I know, Phantomknight!

This is the true utility of AGS, I think, it allows us to have more options.

Anyway, there's cool new medieval stuff and so I'm revamping my medieval folder and crossing my fingers I got all the duplicate defaults yoinked . . . because today's going medieval.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
#10093 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 3:22 AM
Late night findings on instagram: How Sims Put Out Fires
Alchemist
#10094 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 4:17 AM
Apparently teens can't be a barista, but they can be a DJ. Also, freestyling officially sucks. I recently made a cashier teen playable and thought it'd be fun to have her live on her own and try and make it to Uni. I move her into her own apartment, she rolls wants for a job, but the ones she wants aren't available. Okay, I think. I'll just have her go Downtown and earn money at temp jobs. Found out she couldn't be a barista--no big deal. She's got like seven creativity points. I'll just have her freestyle. She's in the park and there's plenty of people around. She raps for hours, gets plenty of people to listen, but no one tips. Absolutely no one. Now I remember why I never let my sims freestyle.

aka Kelyns | she/her
Theorist
#10095 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 11:04 AM
@Phantomknight
I remember having sims freestyle for a living and they earned money in the main hood (plenty of playable sims there).
I also have Pescado's tippingfix in my game. Maybe it could help. I think you'll find it in the Director cut.

Quote:
tippingfix.package Fixes some exploits pertaining to tipping: Tipping no longer produces money ex-nihilo, and the money you can earn from a tip is no longer limited by the amount of money you have in your account. If somebody gives you money, that money actually comes from their treasury. Sims will not give themselves completely into the poorhouse, so if everyone around is broke, you won't get much. Find richer people to perform around. The likelyhood you will receive a tip is now directly related to your actual skill: Lousy musicians performing in front of hostile crowds don't get a whole lot. Tippers will move away from the jar as per original Twojeffs hack.
Does not work in the original game. Supercedes Twojeffs' "Busker Tipping" hack. Do not use together or unpredictable results may occur.
Alchemist
#10096 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 12:07 AM
Thanks, Essa--you made me double check my mods. Turns out I had Simler90's tipping mod, which makes some townies less likely to tip. She was downtown, though, so you'd think someone would have tipped, but eh.

aka Kelyns | she/her
Forum Resident
#10097 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 12:11 AM
I think I might have found the "origin" of why Nina is sometimes considered bisexual: in the peima guide, there was a section detailing a household's life becoming a disaster, and one contribution was the wife having an affair with Nina.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10098 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
I think I might have found the "origin" of why Nina is sometimes considered bisexual: in the peima guide, there was a section detailing a household's life becoming a disaster, and one contribution was the wife having an affair with Nina.

Scholar
#10099 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 2:47 AM
I've found something even more adorable than a toddler bopping along to music - twin toddlers, bopping along side by side and completely out of sync! The same pair later grew up together, again side by side (they were just about to huggle when it happened) and one going up as the other was coming down.

I love these two; they feel like real twins and not just two kids the same age.
Theorist
#10100 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 10:08 PM
I need new hairstyles and clothing for my sims.
Page 404 of 515