Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2021 at 5:07 AM Last edited by lizcandor : 15th May 2021 at 2:57 PM.
Default Toddlers Can Use Stairs Debugging
@nitromon and @Bast, the debugging-friendly version of the Toddlers Can Use Stairs mod is here if you want to give it a try! It's now in debugging mode by default, and also has a cheat (debugLizcandorStairs) that toggles debugging mode on and off. As a first test, 5 sim-minutes after you load a world it should give you a message saying that the mod is active and telling you which interactions were replaced; can either of you tell me if that message appears, and if so what it says? And, also if the message appears at all, do debugging messages pop up when you have a sim (toddler or otherwise) try to use a staircase, either through the Use Stairs interaction or just regular routing?

(The file says it's the NRaas GoHere compatible version of the mod, but I've removed the GoHere references so it should work on its own as well)
Attached files:
File Type: zip  lizcandorToddlerIndependence_NRaasGoHereVersion.zip (1.73 MB, 7 downloads)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th May 2021 at 3:08 PM
Aha, that narrows down where the (or at least one) error is happening! I've updated the package in the first post to a version that fixes where I believe that null value error came from, and has more debugging messages in that area (there will be a lot, sorry, it's a while loop) so I can see how far it gets if I'm wrong. Can you try it again?

Also, what's happening when you try to have a sim use the stairs? Do they get stuck on the stairs, or silently cancel the attempt to climb them, or route fail? From those messages it looks like routing through a staircase should proceed as normal and only have a problem if you cancel whatever interaction the sim was doing while they're on the stairs, but that wouldn't explain why toddlers can't use the stairs.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th May 2021 at 11:24 PM
What about the Use Stairs interaction on the stairs themselves? That's at least visible, right? Whether that interaction even tries to run might tell me whether the problem is specifically with the replaced interactions or with the stairs themselves (or with the altered age case test, maybe).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th May 2021 at 3:29 PM
Okay. Most of those messages are normal, but the current interaction being null isn't. Let's leave trying to click on objects on other floors alone for now, then. When you click the use stairs interaction directly instead of trying to use an object on a different floor, what does the toddler do?

Edit: Also, what you mean by this?
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
when I try to click on an object of another floor
I thought interactions with objects on other floors weren't even visible for you, but those messages sound like they're visible and the routing just doesn't work?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th May 2021 at 5:11 AM
Ohhh I've been misunderstanding the problem this whole time then, sorry I thought the stairs weren't working either, but if they are then whatever's wrong with the replaced interactions has nothing to do with the stairs code - it might be that either the interactions didn't get replaced like they should have or that my replacement interactions failed to implement IOverridesAgeTests properly. Somehow.

But if the debugging messages say the replacements worked, and the interactions aren't failing every time...I've got no idea what could cause that, really. I can try disabling the Supernatural and Showtime EPs in my game and see if the same happens for me? I'm going to go offline for the week pretty soon, but if I have time to fiddle with this in the evenings and can make any progress I'll let you know. Thanks for all your help so far!
Field Researcher
#11 Old 17th May 2021 at 3:01 PM
Good day! I just went to the site. The mod works for me in the same way as on the video for nitromon.