Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2021 at 11:31 PM
Default Accessory not showing up
Hi!

I've been trying to convert the bandana that goes with the hair Caleb by Ade, and I've been following this tutorial. But when I get to the end and open bodyshop to see my finished product there's nothing there. No bandana.

I can see it here in simpe, but not in bodyshop or in game. It's there to choose from, but it's like when you download cc without a mesh....although I thought that's what I was doing all day was making a mesh?

This probably was, admittedly, much too big of a project for my very first attempt at meshing ever (just downloaded milkshape today even)....but I couldn't find it anywhere already converted and requests aren't allowed and all that.

I'm really unsure as to where I went wrong because I followed each step of the tutorial twice and it didn't work either time.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Feb 2021 at 1:27 AM
First of all - did you make a recolor file (that you picked up from the SavedSims folder!) and link the mesh to this recolor file?
If you linked the mesh to the file in the Project folder, that won't work.

Did you do bone/joint assignments? If not, that accessory will fly away and pretend to not be there, maybe occasionally show up depending on placement.

Other than that, it's difficult to say what could be wrong.

Do you have the files?
Mesh + recolor file, maybe also Milkshape file?
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Feb 2021 at 4:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
First of all - did you make a recolor file (that you picked up from the SavedSims folder!) and link the mesh to this recolor file?
If you linked the mesh to the file in the Project folder, that won't work.
?

Yes, I did the one from the SavedSims folder, and did the linking steps of the tutorial.

Did you do bone/joint assignments? If not, that accessory will fly away and pretend to not be there, maybe occasionally show up depending on placement.

I'm pretty sure. I did the parts of the tutorial where you make it turn pink like the face. I don't know if maybe there were others that I needed to do or not?

Do you have the files?
Mesh + recolor file, maybe also Milkshape file?

These are all the files I ended up with in my "workspace" folder by the end. I turned the file extensions on since my naming is more or less meaningless.

I also tried to load it in both bodyshop and in-game just in case since sometimes stuff doesn't show up in bodyshop for me anyway but does in-game, but it isn't showing up anywhere.

Also just in case it's worth mentioning, I did the ts3 version of the bandana, not the ts4. Ade has it for both but I thought doing the ts3 steps of the tutorial would be easier.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2021 at 9:44 AM Last edited by ClaudetteCorleone : 13th Jun 2021 at 11:20 AM.
@CASnarl , if you want to try another tutorial you can give this one a go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDb...q7BT60U&index=3

I found it easier to follow, just read the description on video. (If you do decide to give it a go, just use a different base than given on the video. I had an issue where it added useless slots on unused ages)

Edit: It's 4t2 but it works w/ 3t2 converting too

Edit: I'm just going to update this post because Hermit Fox's tutorial is more thorough

Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2021 at 3:27 PM
@ClaudetteCorleone I'll give it a try! Maybe with a different tutorial I'll have better luck today.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2021 at 3:40 PM
I have a tutorial here, too: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/moo...rial-t1979.html
It's step by step, and also has a problemsolving section. No pictures, though.

Can you upload the files? It's easier to figure out what the problem is by looking at the internal workings of the files than just the description of what's going on.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2021 at 3:56 PM
Yeah, here's a zip of them, I didn't know which ones exactly you wanted.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Casnarl-Ade-Caleb-Bandana-Project.rar (1.22 MB, 5 downloads)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd Feb 2021 at 4:21 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd Feb 2021 at 4:57 PM.
Looks like the mesh has two skeletons in it. Could be one of the reasons for the issues you're seeing. Two skeletons can mess up a lot in the file.

Easiest way to fix that is to export the bandana mesh (or use one you've already exported), then import a new AM skeleton into an empty Milkshape file (use an outfit or accessory - as long as it's AM it's fine), import your mesh over it and click "no" if you get the question about importing another skeleton, remove any parts that don't belong, and then export the file. Import the new file into SimPE.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Feb 2021 at 5:20 PM
I THINK you might have been right. I did what you said, as well as redid the entire CHANGING THE SIMS 2 MESH TO THE ONE YOU EXTRACTED part of the tutorial I mentioned, and now I've got this!

So it seems to be working now! I'll play around with it a bit more. Gotta put my cc back in so I can see how it looks with the hair it's meant to go with (Ade-Caleb) or if I need to change anything about where it sits. Then make it in a few more colors, and then see if I want to do it for teens/children too.
I wanted to JUST try adult male first to even see if I could get that far.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Feb 2021 at 5:59 PM
Sorry for double post, but update:
It's too big for the head. This wouldn't bother me but it might not be the best quality if I wanted to share it (which I do).
You can see on the back and sides that it's not flush to the head. I guess sims 3 heads are bigger.

Would I fix this with the scale option?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 23rd Feb 2021 at 6:32 PM
You can, but you can also move the vertices around a bit, or the entire accessory. Best to have a head to work around, though.

I usually import the OBJ versions of the bald head (amhairbald) and face (amface) into the mesh (after you've imported anything containing a skeleton, never before!) and then you can scale or move around the accessory so it fits better. Keep in mind that you may want some room around the head so it fits with most short hairs.

There's a neat trick in Milkshape after you've imported a face and head mesh - if you have "select" and "vertices" on, and then mark everything and click "hide" under the "Face" menu, it will hide the vertices but the meshes still show. Then you can unhide the bandana in the Groups tab. Now you can work on it without accidentally moving or selecting any of the vertices of the face and head mesh. I use this trick all the time, because it makes it so much easier to edit meshes in Milkshape, especially accessories.