Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Oct 2020 at 12:52 PM Last edited by kittenby : 26th Oct 2020 at 2:10 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default "SimPE will shut down due to an unhandled exception"
Apologies if I've put this in the wrong category/subforum; today I installed SimPE from the MTS download page, but when I try to open it, I get the error I put in the title - "SimPE will shut down due to an unhandled exception". It gives no further information when I click on the "Details" link, and the "Get Support" link only links to the now defunct SimPE website.

I searched on MTS for other examples of this, but all of those seemed to have detailed error logs, and either I don't have those, or I'm looking in the wrong place. Can anyone help with this? I'd really like to be able to use SimPE successfully.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 26th Oct 2020 at 1:11 PM
When you 'click' the details link SimPE will usually display the details but it doesn't expand the window so you can see them, manually expand the window to see the details.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Oct 2020 at 1:21 PM
Oh, so you do, thank you! This is the error message I get (I've omitted the user from the file paths, since it's my real name):
Message: SimPE will shutdown due to an unhandled Exception. SimPE Version:
Default (0.75.1.31194).

Exception Stack:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Users\[real name]\Desktop\Games\The Sims\SimPE\Data\hoods.xml'.
File name: 'C:\Users\[real name]\Desktop\Games\The Sims\SimPE\Data\hoods.xml'
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials)
at System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn)
at System.Xml.XmlReader.Create(String inputUri, XmlReaderSettings settings, XmlParserContext inputContext)
at System.Xml.XmlReader.Create(String inputUri, XmlReaderSettings settings)
at SimPe.Helper.LoadKnownHoods()
at SimPe.Helper.get_KnownHoods()
at SimPe.Helper.IsNeighborhoodFile(String filename)
at SimPe.LoadedPackage.UpdateProviders()
at SimPe.MainForm.AfterFileLoad(LoadedPackage sender)
at SimPe.LoadedPackage.LoadFromPackage(GeneratableFile newpkg)
at SimPe.LoadedPackage.LoadOrImportFiles(String[] names, Boolean create)
at SimPe.MainForm.Main(String[] args)

Source:
mscorlib

Execution Stack:
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials)
at System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn)
at System.Xml.XmlReader.Create(String inputUri, XmlReaderSettings settings, XmlParserContext inputContext)
at System.Xml.XmlReader.Create(String inputUri, XmlReaderSettings settings)
at SimPe.Helper.LoadKnownHoods()
at SimPe.Helper.get_KnownHoods()
at SimPe.Helper.IsNeighborhoodFile(String filename)
at SimPe.LoadedPackage.UpdateProviders()
at SimPe.MainForm.AfterFileLoad(LoadedPackage sender)
at SimPe.LoadedPackage.LoadFromPackage(GeneratableFile newpkg)
at SimPe.LoadedPackage.LoadOrImportFiles(String[] names, Boolean create)
at SimPe.MainForm.Main(String[] args)

Windows Version:
Vista

.NET Version:

About the only thing I can parse from it is the Windows version, which is incorrect - I have Windows 10.
Scholar
#4 Old 26th Oct 2020 at 1:34 PM
The first line "System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Users\[real name]\Desktop\Games\The Sims\SimPE\Data\hoods.xml'." says it all, that version SimPe_075f has several missing parts and hoods.xml is one of them. It is good to update an existing installation but otherwise you may find SimPe_0_75_68 a better option.
https://modthesims.info/showthread....832#post5568832
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Oct 2020 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
The first line "System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Users\[real name]\Desktop\Games\The Sims\SimPE\Data\hoods.xml'." says it all, that version SimPe_075f has several missing parts and hoods.xml is one of them. It is good to update an existing installation but otherwise you may find SimPe_0_75_68 a better option.
https://modthesims.info/showthread....832#post5568832

Excellent, that seems to have worked. I am seeing some visual weirdness on the UI, but I'll save that until I actually have cause to use it. (I really only use it for the Sim Surgery features, and I currently have no neighbourhoods whatsoever, so I can't test that until I get in game!)