Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Fluffy
retired moderator
#101 Old 29th Jul 2006 at 1:36 PM Last edited by Lethe_s : 29th Jul 2006 at 2:56 PM. Reason: huge pic no longer necessary
hi all,

I'm probably missing something here,
the object i'm working on right now, is meant to go on walls, but 'under' any paintings, lamps etc.
I added the 'allow intersection' lines to a cloned painting, but it's not allowing other paintings to go over it.
is there a different line to allow wall stuff intersection, or am I plain doing it wrong?
here's a pic of what my init looks like
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#102 Old 29th Jul 2006 at 2:16 PM
You should also add these lines:
- My 0x003F (exclusive placement flags) Clear Flag flag# Literal Value 0x0003 (no other object of same type) -> [3F000300FF0A03070000000000000000]
- My 0x003F (exclusive placement flags) Clear Flag flag# Literal Value 0x0002 (wall) -> [3F000200FF0A03070000000000000000]

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#103 Old 29th Jul 2006 at 2:57 PM
yay! it worked!
thank you, Numenor
Lab Assistant
#104 Old 12th Oct 2006 at 3:04 PM
Ok I'm trying to make a mini version of the glamour life stereo to be placed on coffee tables, counters etc. I've followed the instructions regards the bhavs (setting flags for all 5 lines and clearing the allow floor placement flag) and weight (set it to literal 0) but now my object cannot be placed anywhere, any ideas why?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#105 Old 12th Oct 2006 at 3:58 PM
Mmmhhh... From what you say, it seems that you did it correctly...
Will you please post here your package?

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#106 Old 12th Oct 2006 at 5:55 PM
Thanks Numenor
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Claireh82 Glamour Life Stereo - Mini.rar (126.9 KB, 29 downloads)
Test Subject
#107 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 5:58 AM
I see there's one for allowing it to be held by a sim-- if I were trying to make a candle that shed light that my sim could hold, that would be what I'd set, right? I've not yet begun my project mostly because I have no idea how ot go about making it holdable (and I'm still curious about the shedding light thing), hence why I've been reading this section..
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#108 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 8:35 AM
0Clairh82 - Sorry if it took so long for me to check your object...
After several tests, fixes and so on, I finally realized something that I should have seen in the first place: your object, though reduced in size, is still a 2-tiles object.

So, I've transformed it to a 1-tile object, by deleting the additional OBJD files (the "0,0" and the (20,1") and setting the main OBJD so that it was not any more a multi-tile OBJD (if you are interested in the differences, compare the OBJD from the cheap boombox and the original OBJD of the original 2-tiles glamour stereo).
I've also deleted the OBJF and the NREF having same instance numbers as the deleted OBJD (each OBJD must have one, and one only, OBJF and NREF to go with it).

Unfortunately, the stereo still doesn't work fine, and fixing it is quite long and difficult: all the effects (audio waves, CD spinning etc.) still have the original position, as shown in the attached screenshot. I order to fix it, you should edit the translation values in the CRES (the difficult part is to find the right values to put there...).
I'm attaching the fixed package, in case you want to go on with this project.

Kuronue - Those values (allow in hand and allow on sim) are mainly used for clothing and accessories.
Yes, it is possible to create a buyable object that can be held in hand, but you need to find the right animations to make the sims go grabbing the object, and then walk around holding the object in his hand, etc.
If used without a proper animation, the "allow on sim" value lets you just to put the object somewhere in the middle of the sim's head, and the "allow in hand" value makes the object sit on the external part of the sim's hand (and the sim will also walk around without noticing to have a lit candle attached to the external part of his hand ).
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Claireh82 Glamour Life Stereo - Mini.rar (56.9 KB, 19 downloads)

Lab Assistant
#109 Old 18th Dec 2006 at 2:59 PM
Following this tutorial and instructions I finally succeed at modding the smartmilk maker placement, so thanks everybody .
Now, I'm trying to do the same for the espresso maker, but for some reasons it doesn't work.
Placement mod itself is working, i.e. the espresso maker is placeable on tables and end tables as well as counters, but the maker itself works only if placed on counters: if on a table, is not clickable.

If you serve coffee while the machine is on a counter, then you move it on a table, the "take coffee" pie menu is available (but not the "clean up" one) and working, but that's all.

I've looked at coffee machine globals, but they seems to refer to community espresso cart, not the base game one.
I'm not a real modder and I don't know much about BHAV and so on, thus I'm stuck.

I'll attach the little mod I made, if someone has a clue, is very appreciated.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  espresso-multiplaceable.rar (266 Bytes, 21 downloads) - View custom content
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#110 Old 18th Dec 2006 at 9:16 PM
This is a well-known problem (at least, to me )

The espresso machine, for a reason that frankly I can't understand, explicitely check if it is placed on a counter; if not, it refuses to work. Perhaps this condition has been set becasue the animations wouldn't look good, at a different height...

If you examine the Guardian BHAV for the Take/Serve coffee interactions, you will see this test (that checks if the container of the espresso machine is in category "counters" or not). If it's not a counter, the menu option won't show up.

The global mod should include the said Guardian BHAVs, in order to work.

Lab Assistant
#111 Old 19th Dec 2006 at 9:28 PM
Thanks Numenor, it worked perfectly!
I chose to add categories, instead of deleting that check, just in case it's more important than it seems.

Thanks again .
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#112 Old 21st Dec 2006 at 9:14 PM
Okay, I've read everything (especially posts #47 and #48) but still cannot get the effect I am wanting. I want my object to only be placed indoors. I've Set the Flag to allow the object to be placed on floor tiles and Cleared the Flag so the object is not allowed on terrain. But, this allows the object to be placed on flooring tiles that have been placed outside (such as a brick walkway through the lot's garden or something). If I set the flag to attach the object to the ceiling, Sims and non-ceiling objects can intersect it even using Echo's method for fixing the footprint in her tutorial. Can someone please tell me what do I need to do or what I am doing wrong?

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#113 Old 22nd Dec 2006 at 2:03 AM
I don't think that effect can be reached using the Object Placement flags; the flags can only check the height/type of the slot they are being put into, they can't check the surroundings, in order to determine if the tile is indoor or outdoor.

There are global bhavs that check the indoor/outdoor location, but they can't be called from within the Init BHAV...
After all, there is no "indoor" object in the game that can't be placed outside, and viceversa.

*shrugs*
retired moderator
#114 Old 22nd Dec 2006 at 3:52 AM
Well, it was worth a try.
I would have thought there would be something of that nature since there is the tooltip that tells you that fountains can only be placed outdoors and the burglar alarm can only be placed indoors unless the "move objects on" cheat is active. But, how the programming or inner-workings of TS2 works is not always how I would like it to work. (It would be interesting if Maxis add an "indoor/outdoor" placement in the Seasons EP for such things as the weather elements.) Thanks Numenor.

Tumblr
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#115 Old 22nd Dec 2006 at 5:51 PM Last edited by Numenor : 22nd Dec 2006 at 5:58 PM.
Oh, I didn't remember about the fountain and the burglar alarm... Then, examining the BHAVs from those two objects might shed light on the subject. It could be something in the Init, but it may be in some other BHAV too.

EDIT
In the alarm INIT there is a line:
My 0x001E (room placement) := Literal 0x0002

while in both the UNI fountains there is (still in the INIT) the line:
My 0x001E (room placement) := Literal 0x0001

I think this is the answer to your question

*shrugs*
retired moderator
#116 Old 23rd Dec 2006 at 3:27 AM
I must do something like name a child after you, Numenor.
My object can now only be placed indoors. Thank you! The fact that neither of the two clearly indicates anything about indoor/outdoor requirements (unlike how "allow on terrain/floor", "wall not allowed on right", "allow object and person intersection", etc are more apparent) probably added to my inability to recognize the significance of those values. Again, thank you so much.

Tumblr
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#117 Old 23rd Dec 2006 at 9:39 PM
The descriptions you mention ("allow on terrain/floor" etc) were manually added into SimPE by Peter and Inge Jones (using their own info, as well as the ones provided by Dizzy2 and other modders); they constantly are trying to "translate" everything in a readable format, but it's a huge work
There are still a lot of parameters that lack a description; but - if you notice - you have provided the solution, when you pointed out two objects that can only be placed indoor or outdoor: I just examined their BHAVs and excluded all the parameters that knowingly performed other things; the only two "unknown" lines were the right ones :D

Instructor
#118 Old 3rd Feb 2007 at 9:14 PM
I tryed to do the "Super Stuffer Mantle Warmers" placeable on all tabel types, but that did not work
Picture: http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/..._morten8035.jpg
Have I did something wrong?

Unauthorized incoming post!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#119 Old 4th Feb 2007 at 12:20 AM
Morten, where are all the "My 0x0004" lines that you are supposed to add to the init?
I can't see any...

PS: Lines from 0x0C to the end are useless, you can delete them. Or are the ones that you have added? In this case, you should edit them (using the wizard, as explained in the tutorial).
If you don't want to waste time linking correctly each line, just hit the button "Inge's InitLinker", that becomes visible if you tick the "Special Button" checkbox.

Instructor
#120 Old 4th Feb 2007 at 11:41 AM
Where do I add the 0x0004 ? http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/...en8035/6993.jpg
It's lots of places to type them in and I don't see any 0x0C to delte.

Unauthorized incoming post!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#121 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 1:22 AM
The "0x0C" I was talking about isn't visible in your last screenshot: it's the line number, located ad the very left of each line of the BHAV.

As for where to put the 0x0004, look at the first screenshots in the tutorial (click to enlarge).
I've replaced both screenshots to reflect the recent changes in SimPE.

Now the Wizard button looks like a "hammer and screwdriver" and is located next to the FF FF FF fields.
When you open the wizard, look at the second screenshot, in the tutorial; you will have, instead of the simple "0x0004" text, a drop-down list; select the "allowed height flags" entry (which is the textual name for the "0x0004").

Lab Assistant
#122 Old 7th Feb 2007 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
In the alarm INIT there is a line:
My 0x001E (room placement) := Literal 0x0002

while in both the UNI fountains there is (still in the INIT) the line:
My 0x001E (room placement) := Literal 0x0001

The garden gnome is only placeble outdoors. Thanks to this information I was able to get my toy-train I made from the gnome to be placeble indoors, but then it lost the ability to be placed outdoors. I couldnĀ“t find a workaround for this.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  SolfalElectricTrain0701.rar (33.5 KB, 21 downloads) - View custom content
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#123 Old 7th Feb 2007 at 9:12 PM
The "My 0x001E" value might be a "flag field": if the first bit is set (binary 01) the object is placeable outside; if the second bit is set (binary 10), it is placeable indoor. Setting both bits (binary 11 = decimal 3 = hex 0x0003) might perform the magic...
Perhaps!

So, try to change the BHAV line as: My 0x001E := Literal 0x0003 and see if it works...

Lab Assistant
#124 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 5:46 PM
Great. It was magic . Now it workes both outdoors and indoors. Thank you so much!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#125 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 10:07 PM
I'm glad it worked! We've learned something new

Page 5 of 7