Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2020 at 1:59 PM
Default special characters like ä or ö in world name
Hello everyone!
I renamed a world file (package) so the world has now two ä's in it. How interesting... I know^^ point is with packages in the mods folder you have to avoid special characters because the games takes longer to read those files. My question: does this rule also apply to worlds?
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 16th Jan 2020 at 2:32 PM
It's probably a good idea to avoid them. I don't make world files with æ, ø and å either. Sometimes you need files to be read by 3'rd party programs, and some full programs arn't always so good at it.

It's just a good idea to learn to live without in my opinion. It might work now, but you never knows what problems may arise further down the line, and if you're going to upload it for people from other parts of the world.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jan 2020 at 7:09 PM
Thank you for your quick reply @Volvenom
I guess I will change the name to something else then, what a pity. If I'd install the world as pack, does it matter then which letters I used? I mean, I would never do that xD But I am curios^^
dodgy builder
#4 Old 16th Jan 2020 at 10:31 PM
What do you mean pack? Package file you mean? My arguments would be the same.

I don't remember if I have ever tested it, and what the result was. Installing the world as a package file I don't think I have ever done.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 12:18 PM
Hey I just had this issue with a world I'm working on, because I had a . in the worldname (called it something like world_test0.1). Oh boy, this was a crazy ride. I could install, play and save it without a problem, but the game could not load any savegame for this world. There was always this errormessage : "It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer present on this system". That made no sense whatsoever.
I spent a few hours searching for errors I made in caw before I tried to rename it. No problems after renaming. So be careful with special characters. Just putting this out here, in case someone runs into this issue.

Im not a native speaker
Mad Poster
#6 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 12:30 AM
I have heard to keep the names simple also. No punctuation. No special characters.