Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2021 at 4:38 PM Last edited by kandlelore : 17th Jan 2021 at 2:06 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 HomeCrafter Plus in Windows 10 *SOLVED*
Hello, I've been searching all over the internet and I cannot find anywhere that has really addressed this. I got my Sims 2 to run in Windows 10 and my original Sims.

Has anyone had any luck or even tried to get it to work in Sims 10?

Thank you.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 16th Jan 2021 at 5:45 PM
Works for me on Windows 10.

Mad Poster
#3 Old 16th Jan 2021 at 8:50 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Jan 2021 at 9:04 PM.
Works fine for me, too. It's the one I had the least problems with. I just installed, and it ran fine as-was, didn't even have to jump through any hoops to make it run. It somehow even found the Projects folder with the UC (don't ask me how - but I guess if Bodyshop finds the folders, Homecrafter can, too). Kind of expected it to blow up in my face, but it didn't.

Bodyshop gave me pink sims/items (not flashing, though) at first, and the game I still haven't gotten quite under control. Homecrafter just... worked. I think this was even before I'd fixed the CSConfig files and still had problems with Bodyshop.

I've not done any sort of compatibility modes to make it run, not even Admin mode. Not other "hoops" either. I did the 4GB patch on the EXE file, not because I experienced issues, but just in case (I don't want to be in the middle of a project and then the program crashes unexpectedly - I don't know if there is a risk, but at least now there's less of a risk).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Jan 2021 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Works fine for me, too. It's the one I had the least problems with. I just installed, and it ran fine as-was, didn't even have to jump through any hoops to make it run. It somehow even found the Projects folder with the UC (don't ask me how - but I guess if Bodyshop finds the folders, Homecrafter can, too). Kind of expected it to blow up in my face, but it didn't.

Bodyshop gave me pink sims/items (not flashing, though) at first, and the game I still haven't gotten quite under control. Homecrafter just... worked. I think this was even before I'd fixed the CSConfig files and still had problems with Bodyshop.

I've not done any sort of compatibility modes to make it run, not even Admin mode. Not other "hoops" either. I did the 4GB patch on the EXE file, not because I experienced issues, but just in case (I don't want to be in the middle of a project and then the program crashes unexpectedly - I don't know if there is a risk, but at least now there's less of a risk).

Hmmm... your post got me to thinking. Maybe it is the version I downloaded may be less compatible? I did the 4gb patch on the EXE file as well. I also installed it to the same folder my Ultimate Collection was installed in. Mine just won't open at all. It is rather frustrating. I made Gingerbread walls and wanted to put them in my game. I made some in 2008 and 2009, uploaded to a different site, I made more for 2020 (TS2 and TS4). Where did you get your HomeCrafter Plus?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Jan 2021 at 11:09 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Jan 2021 at 11:30 PM.
Mine installed to an "EA Games" folder in Program Files (x86) - if you have CDs, it should be alongside the game there. (My UC game is in a folder called "Origin Games").

I think I got my copy from one of the file archives at MTS or simswiki, but not sure exactly which link since there are at least a couple. There's one here: https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...0Site%20Archive (under "tools"). There's also a file and how-to here: https://simswiki.info/wiki.php?titl...elp:Homecrafter

Homecrafter suffers from the same cache issues as TS2 and Bodyshop, so make sure to remove the cache files (accessory, groups, contentregistry, possibly cigen - but this one can be useful for the sake of thumbnails) if you're having issues with it not wanting to run.

I don't know if there are several versions of Homecrafter, but I kind of doubt it. It kind of just does its thing, and I don't think there were any needed updates to walls/floors/groundcovering, so it's not like you'd need new versions with every other EP like with Bodyshop (adding YA or outerwear or things like that).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Jan 2021 at 1:03 AM
Thank you for the links. I downloaded mine from a different site. It actually opened once, but crashed shortly after. I've had it open a few times last night, but it was frozen.

I think it is a simple stupid solution that I'm not seeing. Last night, installing it would crash. At least now I can install it easily enough. Most of the time when it almost opens, it is a white window with an a message that says "The application has crashed. The application will now terminate." It does it no matter what compatibility settings I have set or with none.

I remembered it ran on my old Windows 7 laptop (Asus) that was built in 2010. I bought it in 2011. It still runs fine and plays most new games, though on really low graphics settings. I suppose as a last resort, I can use my external hard drive or a flash drive to transfer work between the two.

I use my external hard drive so that I can work on my sims stuff no matter what computer I am on. It makes it handy, and keeps my PC from getting too cluttered. I prefer my computer at home though, since I have my 3 monitor set up and it makes it so much easier when I need multiple files open with everything I need. Plus I have enough RAM on my home PC to run my photoshop with as many layers as I need.

Now, to get this figured out. If I actually find the solution, I will post it here incase anyone else has the issue. Knowing that other people can run it on Win10, helps because it isn't just my operating system. TS2 and TS1 were pains to get to run.

I do have my CDs, though I install it from Origin. ... Hmmm... Is the HomeCrafter Plus on one of the CDs? I think I have The original Sims 2 and I may have the Sims 2 Deluxe. I will need to go search the internet to figure that out.

Thank you so much. :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Jan 2021 at 2:06 AM
I kept trying to open it, using both the .exe in the folder and the shortcut on my desktop. Suddenly, it opened up. Crazy. I don't know what I did. The only thing I did was I checked to see if all my drivers were updated, and they were. Then I tried opening it again and it worked. I really wish I knew exactly what was going on and what went right.

Thank you again. :D
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th Jan 2021 at 6:02 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 17th Jan 2021 at 6:12 AM.
Homecrafter uses the info from the CSConfig folder (the same settings as Bodyshop) so if you have troubles with low settings or graphic card problems etc. it could be an idea to check if you've fixed the GraphicsRules and VideoCards settings in this location as well as in the Config folder (where you fix it for the game), in your latest EP folder (usually SP9 for the UC or whichever is your latest EP if you have CDs).

(I think I'd already fixed the majority of the graphical issues I had at the time when I installed Homecrafter, but still had some issues with Bodyshop - but since the program doesn't use meshes I never got any of the issues I still had with Bodyshop. I guess that's one of the reasons why it went rather smoothly)

I think Homecrafter was originally downloadable from the Exchange (reeeeeeally old official TS2 site) but salvaged by the community when the site went down the drains roughly 10-ish years ago (spring 2011 according to the sims wiki). I don't think it came with any of the CDs.