Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

HoodReplace 2.3: Replace Neighborhood Terrain (Updated Jan 24, 2010)

by Mootilda Posted 31st Mar 2008 at 10:03 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 4:45 PM by Nysha

195 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 176 Feedback Posts, 18 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 8
Test Subject
#126 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 8:06 AM
I rarely thank people on here for the things they make, but honestly... This has to be THE MOST USEFUL ITEM on sims 2 EVER created.
Its really quite simple, but very useful to not have to redo a whole neighborhood straight from the SC4 terrain without all the deco/trees. Although, I do with there was some way I could keep the same terrain but use the other roads without them glitching, I only changed a few terrain spots in-game anyways so it doesn't really matter.
This should be featured
Test Subject
#127 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 1:56 PM
Mootilda, I love this program, but hope I can explain the situation I'm encountering.

I have a pretty neighborhood, which I'll call Sunnyside, with around 25 great-looking lots. Most are sim-occupied, and I worked hard over the years to decorate them just right.

The goal now is to create a new neighborhood which I'll call Riverside, and it will have new sims. I would like the Sunnyside hood with the lots to be the new Downtown for Riverside. As you know, the Downtown that is generated with each new neighborhood has pre-made fugly lots and it's set on a desert.

When I replace the Sunnyside neighborhood to the Riverside Downtown, my lots don't show up. The map template changes, but the fugly lots from the Maxis Downtown always remain. I've tried this several times in several new 'test' neighborhoods.

As a rule, this is the only time that lots show up - and they're the unwanted Maxis Downtown lots!

My work-around to get rid of the fugly (unoccupied) downtown lots is to remove them from the Neighborhood folder of my new hood, which is faster bulldozing all 40+ of them, so that's not a problem.

[Note to anyone reading this: Do not remove the first 12 lots in a new neighborhood from that folder. If you have all EPs, those are your not-visible Secret Lots, such as the wizard's palace, the cooking contest lot, the membership to the secret gym, science lab, etc).

My question is, is there any way to keep lots I made from one neighborhood, ie Sunnyside, to a new one, such as a Riverside hood or suburb or Downtown?

This would be useful because moving out all those sims in Sunnyside and packaging their lots would be very time-consuming. Do you plan to add this feature anytime soon? If so and you need someone to test it for you, I volunteer.

Aside from wishing for the lots to be replaced, I love this progam and find it highly useful and extremely simple to use. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#128 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 3:46 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 25th Jun 2009 at 3:59 PM.
Yes, there's a way to safely copy all lots from one neighborhood to another. Try this:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...613#post2132613
Lab Assistant
#129 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 10:51 PM
I just wanted to say "Thank You". It feels like I have a fresh start in a new neighborhood, but better- because I can still play with all my favorite dolls without moving or re-creating them & their families!!! I'm anxious to get back to playing, but I just had to stop by and express my gratitude. Your program is wonderful.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#130 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 2:45 AM
Default New version 2.2
From: http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...9&postcount=468
Quote: Originally posted by SimSanta1992
Is there any possibility to make the tool compatible with custom prefixes in future? Cause for better organization I like to give them easy recognizable names (my nhood in this case is called Waabs) and the game has obviously no problems with them (but if I remember correctly, SimPE does).
HoodReplace V2.1 already handled neighborhoods with non-standard names. However, these neighborhoods would not show up in the default list of hoods. Fixed. New version 2.2 now available.
#131 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 6:12 PM
"HoodReplace V2.1 already handled neighborhoods with non-standard names. However, these neighborhoods would not show up in the default list of hoods. Fixed. New version 2.2 now available."
Thanks. ::nab::

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Site Helper
Original Poster
#132 Old 24th Jan 2010 at 7:21 PM
Default New version 2.3
Added ability to fix elevation of roads.
Test Subject
#133 Old 6th Apr 2010 at 7:28 PM
Thanks a load, saved me recreating all my sims.
#134 Old 6th Apr 2010 at 7:49 PM
::re-nab::

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Test Subject
#135 Old 29th May 2010 at 9:32 AM
Thank you for this! I have been able to make a hood with no streets at all thanks to this. You see I have one hood with only horizontal streets that are 2 SC4 tiles apart (aka 5 wide for Sims 2). It allows me to fit a bunch of 6x5 lots together side by side. Then I use this to import in a completely blank hood over it. Then I use your Lot adjuster to delete out the street. And poof I have an entire map of 6x6 lots all in a grid with no streets at all! Thanks soooo much for giving me the ability to do this!
Scholar
#136 Old 11th Jun 2010 at 3:38 AM
I had a problem with not being able to select neighborhoods to work with. I got the error message that HoodReplace could not find the SimPE files (for brevity's sake, it was the same error message that General Operations Director got early on). I took my cue from this discussion and moved HoodReplace to the same drive as SimPe: then to the same directory: but it only worked after I moved it right into the SimPE folder. I don't know why, but it worked.

Thank you for the program, and especially for maintaining the conversation about it too.
Test Subject
#137 Old 24th Aug 2010 at 11:40 PM Last edited by nfarnham2001 : 25th Aug 2010 at 12:58 AM.
Hmm, I understand this copies terrain, but...say I copy terrain from one hood to the other. Say hood A to hood B....if Hood A has a section where there is NO road, and I copy that section to hood B, will it remove the existing road in hood B? Or just match the elevation and trees?

Edit: Nevermind, I read over the directions and description, answered my own question >.<
Test Subject
#138 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 7:57 AM Last edited by simster21 : 27th Sep 2010 at 8:06 AM. Reason: Added clarification as to why I want to use the replace tool
Mootilda,

I'm interested in using the Arcadia neighborhood available for download on this website. The neighborhood seems to be larger than normal and requires the use of a camera mod. So I'll use crazyfoolgaf's More Flexible Camera Mod.

I am a little confused as to one aspect of the tool - is it able to copy terrain and deco from SC4 files AND installed neighborhoods, or just SC4 files? I.e. if I download the Arcadia neighborhood and install it into my game, can I then use the tool to copy all the deco from it over to Pleasantview?

The other thing I wanted to clarify with you is that I want to use your tool to change the neighborhood my sims live in without having to migrate all my sims out and into another hood like you mentioned in an http://nene.modthesims.info/downloa...398#post2648398

Thanks
Site Helper
Original Poster
#139 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simster21
I am a little confused as to one aspect of the tool - is it able to copy terrain and deco from SC4 files AND installed neighborhoods, or just SC4 files? I.e. if I download the Arcadia neighborhood and install it into my game, can I then use the tool to copy all the deco from it over to Pleasantview?
HoodReplace can copy the terrain, deco, roads, etc. from installed TS2 neighborhoods. It can only copy the terrain from SC4 files.

Yes, you can use HoodReplace to copy all of the deco from Arcadia to Pleasantview. You don't actually have to install Arcadia into your game; as long as it is unzipped somewhere on your hard drive, you can use the Browse button to find it.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#140 Old 28th Sep 2010 at 12:35 AM
Awesome, thank you so much for taking the time to clarify my confusions greatly appreciated
Site Helper
Original Poster
#141 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
Can I please ask a question? I looked through the tutorial and read all the comments for HoodReplace, and was unable to find an answer to my question.

My problem is that I absolutely don't understand why whichever sc4 file I pick, the program complains in the following manner: "The source terrain is smaller than the destination terrain. Please select the starting coordinates for the copy". Even if I pick, say, Strangetown.sc4 and try to replace Strangetown with it (they should be identical), the game complains in the same manner.

And when I still press ok, this error pops up: "Cannot copy structures from X.sc4 to X".

Btw your LotAdjuster is absolutely great, I've modified lots of buildings with the help of it, which I would otherwise have to completely rebuild from scratch. It's a great help with simming, probably one of the most useful things created for TS2.

But with HoodReplace I don't understand what is wrong, for example I add Downtown from the default Pleasantview template (it's a bit different from the main Pleasantview), then I try to copy the very same default terrain file I used (Pleasantview.sc4) to my new downtown Pleasantview, and it still complains about source file being smaller and can't copy the structures, although they're absolutely identical for sure

Please help me, it must be something real stupid that I don't understand
That's because small SC4 files are half the size of TS2 terrains. The game automatically expands the SC4 terrain when you create a TS2 neighborhood. It's not clear why EA decided to use a small-sized SimCity and then expand it. It would have been much better to use the medium-sized SimCity, which would give people greater control over their terrain and require no size conversion.

I would suggest that you follow the "Replacing the neighborhood terrain" method in the tutorial:
http://www.modthesims.info/d/showpo...389&postcount=4

Specifically, create a temporary TS2 neighborhood using your SC4, then use that temporary TS2 neighborhood as your source for HoodReplace.
Theorist
#142 Old 20th Jan 2011 at 1:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
That's because small SC4 files are half the size of TS2 terrains. The game automatically expands the SC4 terrain when you create a TS2 neighborhood. It's not clear why EA decided to use a small-sized SimCity and then expand it. It would have been much better to use the medium-sized SimCity, which would give people greater control over their terrain and require no size conversion.

I would suggest that you follow the "Replacing the neighborhood terrain" method in the tutorial:
http://www.modthesims.info/d/showpo...389&postcount=4

Specifically, create a temporary TS2 neighborhood using your SC4, then use that temporary TS2 neighborhood as your source for HoodReplace.

Do I get it right, if I don't have Sim City 4 then there's no way to use your program? I missed that in the tutorial

Although I still experimented withou it,, by flagging "resize to fit" and then "scale elevation". It worked, however I'm not sure what happened or changed.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#143 Old 20th Jan 2011 at 2:15 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 20th Jan 2011 at 2:38 AM.
It depends upon what you want to do with my program. If you want to add roads to a neighborhood, then you'll need SimCity 4 to edit the SC4 file. However, if you just want a new terrain for your neighborhood and you have either the SC4 file, or an existing neighborhood with the terrain that you want, then you don't require SimCity 4.

Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish?

It's very very rare that you would want to select an SC4 file in HoodReplace. I'm not sure why you are trying to do this; The Sims 2 does a much better job of converting from an SC4 to a TS2 neighborhood. It makes much more sense to use HoodReplace to copy from one TS2 neighborhood to another.

Let me try again. This is a 3 step process if you don't already have the terrain that you want in an existing TS2 neighborhood, and a 1 step process otherwise.

Replacing the neighborhood terrain:

1. If you don't already have the "from" terrain in one of your existing TS2 neighborhoods, then create a temporary neighborhood in the Sims 2 using your SC4 file.

2. Run HoodReplace. Select the neighborhood with the terrain that you want in the left (from) listbox and the old neighborhood in the right (to) listbox, select which elements you wish to copy: terrain, roads, bridges, etc, then click on the Copy button.

3. If you created a temporary neighborhood in step 1, then delete the temporary neighborhood created above.
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#144 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 10:33 AM
I adore this program. I've made a lovely natural area where I've been able to put a houseboat actually in the water, cabanas on the beach, and no roads to clutter it up all just by swapping terrains and roads without moving lots, etc.

The only thing that's a little odd is that after doing one copy and the dialog pops up saying it's copied, when I click okay, the whole program closes. It's odd and, of course, I might want to do two copies before closing.

It's brilliant, though. I love it.
Field Researcher
#145 Old 18th Aug 2011 at 9:46 AM
I want you to know that you saved my Sims' life!
Now the houses' cellars aren't flooded! No more trouble!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#146 Old 25th Aug 2011 at 12:43 AM
Wait, can it add a new sc4 terrain or copy over an old one? Pleasant view has a terrain that I prefer over the Pleasantview sc4, and the current Pleasantview sc4 just seems like a badly-done rip-off of the neighborhood...

Even if that'll never be added, love it! This is great.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#147 Old 8th Jan 2012 at 8:34 PM
Oh Bless you really!
This program is the most helpful tool ever for terrains!
You havo no idea how much i like it.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#148 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 9:14 PM
Thank you.

EDIT: hmm lol it appears I already downloaded it years ago, silly me well now its updated, weird I don't remember downloading it before but it certainly will have it's uses, I have a desert neighborhood it would be great to change that and give it grass and trees.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#149 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 5:24 PM
Hmmm...I didn't believe I would find it handy!

Beware and prepare yourself Mootilda, another storm of questions is approaching!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#150 Old 4th Dec 2012 at 8:49 AM
hello is there any thing you can do when extra road is in the water no land.thx
Page 6 of 8