Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#126 Old 3rd Sep 2006 at 7:25 AM
Quote:
atavera: If you add more array elements/tiles to the CRES footprint node, does it automatically provide the green placement tiles as well, or do they still require the additional OBJDs/OBJfs?

I think they're totally separate. You can definetly have entries in the CRES footprint that don't have a OBJD (and they don't show up in-game as a footprint), and you can probably have OBJDs without a footprint.

The above post should be ingested with 1/4 Tbsp salt. In the event of an allergic reaction, panic and wait for the reaction to pass.
Advertisement
Instructor
#127 Old 4th Sep 2006 at 1:04 PM
Ok, I finally got it working! Thank you everyone!
Just a note for anyone who wants to try the binary code, here is a quick conversion chart:
Binary | HEX
--- ---
0000 = 0
0001 = 1
0010 = 2
0011 = 3
0100 = 4
0101 = 5
0110 = 6
0111 = 7
1000 = 8
1001 = 9
1010 = A
1011 = B
1100 = C
1101 = D

And since I was slow and had trouble finding it, I figured I would share what I was told to help anyone else who may get confused as I did.
In order to edit the array you must go to Resource Node (CRES)--> Select the Content tab -->next to blocklist click the dropdown menu to get footprint (cDataListExtension)--> select the tab that says cExtension--> under Items select (Array) and click on Edit on the righthand side.
You should see minx=(Value), maxx=(Value), miny=(Value), maxy=(Value). X values are for the number of tiles from side to side. Y values are for the number of tiles from front to back or vice versa. I'm guessing that the minimum (min) values will generally be 0. This means there is one tile (I think). max (maximum) is the highest number of tiles. You must subtract one from the actual number of tiles and input that integer next to the max values.
Just for example say I have an object that is 3 tiles wide and 2 tiles deep.
This is what it will look like:
minx = (Value) 0
maxx = (Value) 2
miny = (Value) 0
maxy - (Value) 1

Underneath these values are the Binary settings. Mine are labelled as 0,0 1,0 0,1 and 1,1. From the dropdown menu on the bottom righthand side I selected Binary and clicked add. I named the new tiles and put in the hexadecimal values in the Binary box. I had to do this for each new tile. I named them 2,0 and 2,1.

Note: when you input the hexadecimals make sure you have 32 pairs of characters (or a total of 64 characters). I found that it helps me to count them in pairs to make sure I didn't miss one or accidentally add too many.
Instructor
#128 Old 5th Sep 2006 at 1:11 PM Last edited by Jasana_BugBreeder : 5th Sep 2006 at 3:36 PM. Reason: deleted attachment
I'm about to give up

I cloned the old grandfather clock and made it multi-tile. All OBJDs have different instances, and each one has matching OBJf.
I changed footprint field in each OBJD to 0x0000, as was told in this post.
I added the following lines to init:
My 0x0008 (flags) Set Flag flag# Literal Value 0x0008 (Do NOT Use Maya Model Footprint)
My 0x0008 (flags) Clear Flag flag# Literal Value 0x0001 (can be stepped over)
My 0x0008 (flags) Clear Flag flag# Literal Value 0x0005 (allow person intersection)

Sims walk through my object.

I tried to add Allow Intersection BHAV to all OBJfs, which returned false in any case.

Sims still walk through my object.

I tried to add the footprint to CRES, filling all binary elements with FFs. In case it matters, cres didn't had footprint block, so I added it as usually (added on Edit Blocks tab, added reference on it on root node's cObjectGraphNode tab).

Sims still walk through it...

What could I miss?
Instructor
#129 Old 5th Sep 2006 at 3:34 PM
atavera, thanks! I know I missed something simple, but I didn't thought I was that stupid It works now.
Field Researcher
#130 Old 19th Sep 2006 at 3:00 AM
Echo, thanks for posting this info. its nice to know this is do-able.

I've been putting off trying this until I had a design that really demanded it in mind, sadly for me that occasion is now - I will confess an intense dislike of having to poke around with object guts, I think I'd sooner poke around fish guts but needs must etc.

However, I seem to have come unstuck at very literally the very first hurdle, selecting the BHAV's in my object doesn't *do* anything, as in there is nothing to edit - I assume that this is because I am missing a required plugin or set-up option for SimPE? I have the newest version (0.58 something, something that supports Glamour).

Thanks in advance

Its a lot of fuss for a 2 tiled bookcase *sigh*

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#131 Old 19th Sep 2006 at 10:47 AM
SimPE should have a plugin already loaded for BHAVs... Could you post a screen shot?

As for making a two-tiled bookshelf, Grapholina made one a little earlier in the thread which had a few other issues involved. You might want to ask if you could clone hers?
Field Researcher
#132 Old 19th Sep 2006 at 1:14 PM Last edited by Pistachio : 19th Sep 2006 at 5:39 PM.
Echo, how wonderfully gorgeous of you to answer! I don't know if I can post a meaning full screen shot because there isn't anything to post lol! I click on the BHAV entries in the top right window and .... nothing. I shall reinstall SimPE again and see if it goes away, who knows 3rd time is the charm lol!

Edit: Oops, I am an idiot! I hadn't installed the right bits with SimPE haha!!
Thanks again Echo for scribbling this up, have saved the tut for later!

www.parsimonious.org
Field Researcher
#133 Old 20th Sep 2006 at 1:24 AM
I've tried this based on the instructions given for a book case. I've imported the "Read Book", "Read to", "Study", and "College Study" global behaviours from the University objects.package file, and changed the routing slots calls to relative position calls. However my sims can't return the books to the bookcase after use. I could not find any reference within these functions to another semi-global called "Put Away", or any other semi-global function calls except for "Read Book - Get Book from Case", which I also imported, but this had neither a call to the "Put Away" function, or a call to any other semi-globals.

What do I need to do to enable the put book away function. Is this a global function? How do I need to edit these functions to call it and not the original function?

Please find the broken package and thumbnail attached. (I know the mesh alignment needs fixing).

Thank you in advance to any kind cake deserving personage who can help fix this.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  k8-contemptogaiabookcase-091906.zip (399.7 KB, 14 downloads)

www.parsimonious.org
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#134 Old 20th Sep 2006 at 10:59 AM
The semiglobal you're looking for it "CT - Put Book Away". CT functions can be called from inside other objects, in this case, from books themselves.

Also, seriously, well done with this. You've done a really good job with very little assistance!
Field Researcher
#135 Old 22nd Sep 2006 at 12:07 AM
Thanks, but if this function is called by the books, then how am I going to get the books to call my version of the function, without creating my own books?

www.parsimonious.org
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#136 Old 22nd Sep 2006 at 12:52 PM
That's one of the nifty things about CT functions. They're called using a function called "Run Tree By Name" which looks at the stack object and trys to find a function that has that name at its local level. If it can't find one, it'll look at the semi-global level. So if you import the CT function, give it a new local instance number (but leave it with the same name) then it will get called instead of the semi-global version.
Field Researcher
#137 Old 23rd Sep 2006 at 3:16 PM
I think its working *whoohoo* - thanks Echo I really appreciate your help! Now all I have to do is create a design that I actually like lol!

www.parsimonious.org
Field Researcher
#138 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 5:56 PM
Just thanks again for teaching me how to do this.
Instructor
#139 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 4:52 PM
Ok, actually this is not the right thread to ask my question... but it seems like it's as "wrong" as the others...

Does someone know how to add erm, "footprint height information" to objects (single- and multitile objects)?
I mean how to make sure that the mesh you created (e.g. a diningtable with a cupboard above) gets a kind of surface or matter that is recognized by Sims (and objects)?
As this cupboard has a different height to Maxis- supported heights (even the OFB suff is not useful) it wouldn't make sense to me to change the BHAVs and try to tell the "emulated" surface that it's a counter e.g. like objects wouldn't have a BHAV- value to add as this surface is not supported by the game.

To try to make it more understandable:
Counter --> higher than Maxis levels
(Maxis OFB Verkaufstheken (sale surfaces???) level)
Table --> Maxis table height

Did someone already figure out (I couldn't!) how to use the footprints or something similar to create meshes that do have matter? I have to think of the Maxis bugfix- screenshot with the Sim putting her head into the door of the closed fridge. This doesn't happen anymore so there is a way...

And adding surfaces that aren't supported by the game would be a too massive hack I guess (I'm not a hacker at all!) but it would be cool to have surfaces that allow to place most of the available objects like sculptures and plants etc. onto them instead of creating a few meshes for these additional surfaces. Can someone who knows about the "how to" of hacking comment this idea please? I'd like to know how stupid my idea about the surfaces actually is :D

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Instructor
#140 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 6:07 PM
Quote:
Does someone know how to add erm, "footprint height information" to objects (single- and multitile objects)?
That's called 'slot', more precizely - container slot. Check slot-related threads and fisheeye's tutorial on adding container slots.
Animations for interactions with your added slots may be incorrect, but at least you can place objects there.
Instructor
#141 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 6:27 PM
Thank you! I'll check it out

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Test Subject
#142 Old 16th Oct 2006 at 6:25 PM Last edited by Digital Paladin : 16th Oct 2006 at 6:30 PM.
Default Walkable area problem
Okay so I've cloned the upright piano, and I'm creating a steinway grand concert piano. Lots more tiles needed (4 -> 10). I created the new tiles with OBJD files and OBJf files, and the placement works like I'd expect. The sims were walking through most of the object though.

I tried the whole BHAV flag "Do NOT Use Maya Model Footprint" thing, but it's not quite right. My object is too odly shaped for one and also it prevented the sims from playing the piano. So instead I decided to modify the footprint in the CRES. I've added the binarys for the new tiles and edited maxX = 1 and maxY = 4. Problem is only the original tiles show any effect. When I edit those I can shape the footprint - but the new binaries have no effect whatsoever.

Any help would be appreciated.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#143 Old 16th Oct 2006 at 10:43 PM Last edited by Digital Paladin : 18th Oct 2006 at 1:22 PM.
Thanks for the reply Atavera, but no dice - I've uploaded the package if you would like to take a look.

EDIT: Removed attachment (problem solved)
Test Subject
#144 Old 17th Oct 2006 at 11:29 AM Last edited by Digital Paladin : 18th Oct 2006 at 1:15 PM.
I think I figured it out... I had to change the multi-tile lead object. The thing that confused me was the way the original objects OBJD files were named. The multi-tile lead object was labeled 0,0! Mine should be 0,4.

Confusing:

OBJD labeling original

------------
|(0,1)|(0,0)|
------------
|(1,1)|(1,0)|
------------

my labeling (now - since I didn't change the original tiles)

------------
|(1,4)|(0,4)|
------------
|(1,3)|(0,3)|
------------
|(1,2)|(0,2)|
------------
|(0,1)|(0,0)|
------------
|(1,1)|(1,0)|
------------

footprint labeling (I think)

------------
|(1,0)|(0,0)|
------------
|(1,1)|(0,1)|
------------
|(1,2)|(0,2)|
------------
|(1,3)|(0,3)|
------------
|(1,4)|(0,4)|
------------

I now have a messed up footprint, but one I can repair (I failed to understand the way the footprint labels the tiles as compared to the way I'd labed them - reverse coordinate system there).

Thanks for having a look anyone that did
Test Subject
#145 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 2:14 AM
Probably gonna sound a fool here, so sorry!

I just used the tutorial to add a tile to an object which worked great, except my object sits on the original tile, not centred between the two. I don't know anyhting about meshing and 3D packages, so is there a way to centre the object without a 3D package etc.

Thanks!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#146 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 2:48 AM
Well there is, but it's not an ideal - it's better to just move the mesh. However, if that's not practical because there are slots that need to line up with animations etc, then you can offset the location of the whole object relative to the tiles.

Open the cres file, and find the highest cShapeRefNode in the "Cres Hierarchy" tab. (This often has "Practical" in its name. Click on that node, then open up the "cTransformNode" tab. There should be a set of boxes called "Translation". If you change the values in there, the whole object (including the mesh, slots etc) except for the tiles will move.
Test Subject
#147 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 8:59 AM
Echo, you are wonderful. Thanks!
Test Subject
#148 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 10:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
Well there is, but it's not an ideal - it's better to just move the mesh. However, if that's not practical because there are slots that need to line up with animations etc, then you can offset the location of the whole object relative to the tiles.

Open the cres file, and find the highest cShapeRefNode in the "Cres Hierarchy" tab. (This often has "Practical" in its name. Click on that node, then open up the "cTransformNode" tab. There should be a set of boxes called "Translation". If you change the values in there, the whole object (including the mesh, slots etc) except for the tiles will move.

This was actually the perfect option for me, as the objects itself and mesh were unaltered, I simply wanted a single tile object shifted between two tiles to line up better on my lot. By doing this all data moves with it, so my Sims dont walk through any part of the object, but still can walk over the unused parts of the tiles, without having to go through the last part of the tut. Hence it behaves EXACTLY as the original.

For those interested, the values to insert are shifts of whole tiles; i.e. to translate an object a WHOLE tile to the left, the X value has to change by 1. In my case, to get it centralised BETWEEN THE 2 TILES I used 0.5. (Y value obviously moves it in the other direction)

Many many thanks to Echo for the easy to follow tutorial AND for the very speedy and accurate responses!
Test Subject
#149 Old 28th Oct 2006 at 9:34 AM
Hi just to say your tutorial has really helped (well when it works for me) I have the new version of sim pe and cannot find make all instances different option I cant even find the Package File tab all i have is Package.
I have tried to get around this by changing the instances manualy and tested it in the game but it stillis only one green tile.

Please help I need this

ColemanSystems Expansion Package coming soon!
(ETA 14th November 2007)
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#150 Old 28th Oct 2006 at 10:23 AM
The "packed file" tab is now the "resource" tab. And yes, you do need to change the instances manually, there is no automatic button to do it anymore (it generally did more harm than good to just change them all at once anyway!)

If it's still not working, then you need to post the object so I can take a look.
Page 6 of 11