Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#76 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
So it's not so much about getting close to 100 words per para but more so that we don't exceed 1000 words per round? Pressumably we will be penalised points from the "rules" category if we go over but is there a system in place (like -5 for every 100 extra words) or is it solely down to the discretion of the individual judges? I don't plan to break the rules but I'm just not very good at wrapping things up quickly, lol.

I'm still working on mine but last night decided to go in a bit of a different dirrection so I've done a big re-write. Now I'm panicking about whether I can make it all make sense O.O ugh, writing is soooo much harder than I thought it'd be

One more question you say we can add borders. I'm assuming you meant like a simple black line but I wanted to clarify if I could do a different type border. Something like instead of a solid line, I fade the edges into nothing...I want use it to show memories/flashbacks. I can knock up a quick example if you're not sure.

This is what happens when chat is down.

In regards to word count: this round is approximately 100 words per picture. So, yes, don't go over 1,000 words! I hadn't given any particular thought to how exactly you would be penalized for going over. Rules only count for 5 points so at most, you might lose ALL of them, but I doubt it. I'll leave it up to each judge on how exactly to be penalize you for going over that max.

Also, for borders. You can add a plain border, a frame border, or you can round the edges to look like a photo. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by fading into nothing (I think I can picture it) but just to be sure, posting an example would be great.

If you mean a fuzzy border like below, that's fine. Just use your discretion on how much to take away/how jagged it is and make sure you're not blurring the pictures or changing the colors; no sepias, black and whites, etc.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 8:51 PM
One more question Is it possible to turn the excerpt? like for example: "By watching her, I thought..." and turn it to "By watching her, she thought..." ??
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#78 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 8:55 PM
Excerpts should be used just as they are written. How you use it is up to you though.

"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
The other one
#79 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 9:17 PM
That's pretty much what I had in mind though my fade distance might be a tad bigger and I might possibly round the corners....all assuming ofc that I can figure out how to do it nicely in PS :p

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Field Researcher
#80 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 9:20 PM
I'm so glad you two are joining I bet your stories will be great.

My Simblr: Here
The other one
#81 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 9:24 PM
gah, doubt it. Last night I wrote the firt 6 paragraphs and I just did a word count and have nearly 900...with 4 paragraphs left to go D: ...I'm thinking maybe my story is too complicated and not really suited to a short story format :/ Might try re-writing a new story from scratch.

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Field Researcher
#82 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 9:28 PM
I only have 6 or 7 paragrraphs .

My Simblr: Here
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 9:44 PM
I have 10 paragraphs but It's the first time I do this So I think it'll be crap, but you know it's always good to give it a try!
Inventor
#84 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 10:03 PM
Aw... don't get down on yourself waterjay. I'm sure what you write will be great! I'm looking forward to reading/judging it.

"Goonies never say die."
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 10:14 PM
Chapter 1: New Born, New Troubles.

Achille landed home with a pale face that showed sorrow, pain and fear. Concerned by his aspect, Marysa asked: “What’s wrong? I’ve never seen you like this before…”. Due to his trembling, he could not take a word out of his mouth. Marysa, who hates to repeat herself, asked again: “Achille, tell me what’s wrong!”
“He… he… he’s born!!” Achille replied with difficulty. After that sentence was said, a sinister silence dropped in the room. They both looked at each other, realizing that what they thought they have gotten rid of, came back to haunt them.

“ I’m not feeling very well….”, and she sat down after whispering those words. “I had the same reaction as yours” declared Achille. He proceeded, “ We have to do something, and quick. If we reconstruct the Order, we could…”
“ The Order is dead.”, she interrupted.
“What do you mean?!”
“You know what I mean. Deena’s gone. She was the Order itself. THE ORDER IS DEAD” and she walked away refraining her tears from sliding down her cheeks.
“ Marysa! You’re a witch, a paranormal character, you BELONG to that Order, I DON’T! The world depends on you and on your similars! You….”

“SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UUUUPPPP!!!” she screamed loudly. “Don’t talk to me about this! DON’T! Go get the Order yourself!! I’m by no means responsible of this damn world!!”
“….It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived. He was a normal mortal. You are a witch, and you can’t even reach half of his courage. Bye Marysa.” , so he shut the door behind his back and walked away frowning.
“ No wait! I’m sorry Achille…!!” But it was too late, as Achille had already crossed the street.

“I’m stupid. I must fix what I’ve just done… I’m invoking Authentica…” Marysa said to herself. She immediately headed to the basement, placed the candles in a circle shape and started chanting:
“Mother of time and space,
Show yourself to me,
Right now, right in this place,
I really need you desperately,
Bring me with you some grace,
As the child came to birth suddenly.”
And Authentica appeared before her, with a serious, worried look.

“I was waiting for your call Marysa. The Emperor of Evil has come to light. Even though I wield the power of time and space, I cannot return to the past to the moment of his birth. It was meant to happen, and I can only modify what WASN’T meant to happen. You have to fight dear.”
“What should I do?” cried Marysa. “ I feel guilty about everything! And if you can’t bring us back in time, we’re done! I really want you to help me Mother Authentica… I beg you!”
“I’ll take you back to where you fought with Achille. Try to find a more suitable answer this time….”
As Marysa heard those words, she found herself standing in front of Achille.

………

“ Marysa! You’re a witch, a paranormal character, you BELONG to that Order, I DON’T! The world depends on you and on your similars! You….”
“Achille, let’s get down to work…”
“Huh? Wait weren’t you just saying the Order is dead and kept discouraging yourself?”, He questioned her.
“Forget about that. The Order is still dead. We are reforming a new one. Let’s get down to work.”
“You’re weird and unpredictable Marysa!”
“I’m a witch Achille. Now enough about this subject, call Dan and tell him to meet us at the coffee shop.”

Few minutes later, Dan, Marysa and Achille met at the café. Dan, keeping his eye on his watch asked: “so what is it you guys want to tell me?”
Marysa replied “ He’s born. We are forming a new Order before any damage is inflicted.”
“HE IS BORN?!” Dan shouted with surprise. “Oh there’s nothing I can do, I’ve lost my powers and…”
“Dan!” interrupted Achille. “I’d be really thankful if you’d just stopped lying for once. Everyone in this world is in danger, your kids included. You know you don’t want anything bad happen to them…”

“I’m sorry guys. I just don’t want to go through all I went last year. I have to go, need to pick up the kids from school. Marysa, Achille, goodbye.” And Dan left, leaving the witch and the mortal alone.
“ This isn’t good. I’m not going to do everything by myself… We lost Dan, the calamity power… who else could we ask to join us?” asked Marysa.
“How about Layla, the fire controller?”
“She’ll do the same. They were all close to death last year. And they weren’t even members of the Order…”
“You’re a witch. Use your powers and scry for people who own the same abilities as you…”
This said, they both headed back home with large disappointment…

After uncountable and unsuccessful tentatives, Marysa gave up. “Achille, I’m desperate. I can’t find anyone; no one is answering my telepathic calls. I’m done.” And she sat at the corner of her room, her head on her knees, her tears raining over the carpet. Achille didn’t say a word. He left the poor girl fade in the obscure shadows of the room’s corner.

Seeing Marysa’s state, Achille decided he would help her. He secretly went to see Layla, whose reaction of shock was expected. “I need the old Marysa back.” , decalred Achille. “ By watching her, I began to think there was some skill involved in being a girl, or better said, a witch. You own supernatural powers, and your lives aren’t easy at all, I understand that. But please Layla, help us take out the new born, and most importantly, help ME get back the cheerful Marysa I know… Please Layla, please…”
Layla didn’t let a single word out of her mouth. She simply nodded, confirming she would offer her help, despite her excessively jealous character…

#86 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 2:45 AM
I am so glad I didn't offer to judge this lol

Official Foundation Challange Contestant. R1-R2-R3-R4

BLOGGER A Random Legacy - Vasher
Scholar
#87 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 2:48 AM
So in other words you need to join this, Awesome. : P (Seriously. Please?)
Inventor
#88 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 12:31 PM
We do need more contestants LA... I'll give you a pseudo-cookie if you join. An invisible internet confection of deliciousness. Enticing, yes?
Or if that doesn't work, I double dog dare you to join. Now you *have* to do it! DO IT DO IT DO IT.

"Goonies never say die."
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 1:23 PM
@ Giga I just read your comment, and all I can say is thank you for encouraging me in writing But when I reread this story I think "omg did I write that crap!?" lol guess I'll make it just for fun cuz i cant compete against you guys Good luck! (I'm still in btw :P)
Inventor
#90 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 2:17 PM
^^You're welcome. That's what I'm here for... sort of.

Glad to see that you're accepting and remaining in the Challenge. All I can say is, I hope all the contestants follow the rule of Highlander: "there only can be one!" Get it? One winner? I'm clever

Good luck.

"Goonies never say die."
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#91 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 3:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by waterjay
@ Giga I just read your comment, and all I can say is thank you for encouraging me in writing But when I reread this story I think "omg did I write that crap!?" lol guess I'll make it just for fun cuz i cant compete against you guys Good luck! (I'm still in btw :P)

Well, I thought your pics were really good - great posing, I could see a story going on IN THE PICTURES so worry not, but yea, the real point is to have fun.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 3:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leesester
Well, I thought your pics were really good - great posing, I could see a story going on IN THE PICTURES so worry not, but yea, the real point is to have fun.

Thank you I really apreciate what you wrote If I got this right, the pictures are good, but I have to focus a bit more on the plot right? :D
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#93 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 3:40 PM
Um, I dunno if I am supposed to say - as it will be like helping the next contestants cos they will think - aha - fish looks for this and that and not do things - which puts you at a disadvantage - which is not fair. I guess really I should not have commented on the pictures either .................... and now Heaven is gonna kick my ass

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 3:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leesester
Um, I dunno if I am supposed to say - as it will be like helping the next contestants cos they will think - aha - fish looks for this and that and not do things - which puts you at a disadvantage - which is not fair. I guess really I should not have commented on the pictures either .................... and now Heaven is gonna kick my ass

I'm sorry I dragged you into this. I'm really sorry, I dunno how I can apologize. you're absolutely right, my bad I forgot we're in a contest. Sorry again! :S
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#95 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 4:02 PM
/lee hugs waterjay (and uses him?her? as a human shield against the wrath of Heaven)

Nah, is ok. No need to be sorry. Heaven will forgive me. Eventually.

Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
Original Poster
#96 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 4:04 PM
heaven is going to ignore and just enjoy the spirit of friendliness and encouragement we've got going on so far.

Really nice pictures doesn't say anything about anything else. And this really is for fun so just enjoy! Everyone may get some feedback from the judges after this round is over so, hopefully, it will help you improve each chapter!

Lab Assistant
#97 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 4:19 PM
Ookayz lol @lee I'm a boy
@ Heaven Hope we get more applicants so that it will become more interesting xD I sooo got into this! I hope we can proceed!
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#98 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 5:00 PM
This is soo fun, I even want to join now!
Heaven, should I stay as an emergency judge or it would be better if I join?

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#99 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 5:13 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You are my backup for when I pluck up courage to tell heaven I wanna play too and not be judge.........

Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#100 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 5:34 PM
Oh well, I will need to wait for another contest then

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims

Page 4 of 16