Replies: 9993 (Who?), Viewed: 399910 times.
Page 395 of 400
Mad Poster
#9851 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturlington
For example, I am sick of the barrette hairstyle that so many girls get by default (the "Angela/Lilith"). Teens who get that hairstyle in my game have to change their hair, and they run the risk of getting a bad hat in exchange.

I see I am not the only one that gets that hairstyle on almost every single born in game girl, and is annoyed by it. I mean I have the Ultimate Collection plus a few CC hairs, so there are many different hairs the game could go with but nooo 97 percent of the time it just has to go with the base game barrette hairstyle.
#9852 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 1:17 PM
For me rolling the pacifier sometimes gets rid of the barrette hairstyle. That's why usually the only one to have it in a family is an eldest child who's a girl.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Mad Poster
#9853 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 2:18 PM
The thing is, hair selection on growing up isn't random if the hair the sim is wearing in one stage is linked to one in the next. The toddler bob is linked to the barrette hair, and for some reason the game is far more likely to assign the toddler bob to a girl than any other hair. If you don't want your little girl to grow up into the barrette hair, change appearance on your toddler. It really is that simple.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#9854 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 4:41 PM
Is each toddler hair linked to only one kid hair? There aren't that many toddler hairs in an unmodded game - that might explain why the same hairstyles keep coming up.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9855 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 9:24 PM
I was on Google looking for the old Irish song "The Wearing of the Green", but wasn't quite sure why I was looking for it. Only when I returned to MTS did I remember that it was this post by sturlington that set off my train of thought:
Quote:
I got tired of randomly buying new outfits for my Sims when they got the want to buy clothes or grew up into a bad outfit, so I've decided to color-code their wardrobes according to aspiration and make it easier for me to remember what they are.

Popularity = pink and/or purple
Fortune = green and/or gray
Pleasure = orange and/or brown
Romance = red and/or black
Knowledge = blue and/or tan
Family = yellow and/or white

I may color-code their cars too.

I'd better explain. . .

Colour-coding by aspiration really wouldn't do for me: my Sims expect more individual attention than that. So I started thinking about what colours some of my Sims might want to wear. Well, one of the newest Sims in my game is a CAS-created townie teen called Kieran Doyle. Who has recently been active in my game having a sleepover with Ravi Bertino. What colour might Kieran want to wear? Ah! That's what got me thinking about "The Wearing of the Green".

So, to the opening strains of the ancient recording of Count John McCormick singing "The Wearing of the Green" ,
("She's the most distressful country that ever yet was seen,
For they're hangin' men and women there for wearin' of the green
")
in my imagination I see Kieran draw himself up to his full five feet two (158 cm), his chest puff out, and a gleam of pride that I've never seen before appear in his deep blue eyes. And somehow, with his coffee-black hair and blue eyes, he really looks the part. It's a side to his personality that I've never even glimpsed before, but I'm sure it's there. It may take a bit of imagination, but there's really no limit to the amount of depth you can find in TS2 Sims. It's life simulation at its best, so all of life is there. I reckon the better you get to know a Sim, the more there is to know.

So thanks sturlington for setting me off on a train of thought that I'm sure neither you nor I expected. Now I'll have to make something green for Kieran to wear -- it's the least that he deserves. It may seem a lot to do for a boy who's only a townie. But there's no "only" in my game. Whatever his origins, Kieran is now a citizen of Veronaville. And that too should be a matter for pride.

Asked for a comment, Kieran says simply, "Erin go bragh!" (Ireland forever)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Field Researcher
#9856 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 10:47 PM
Some of y'all boutta be real mad at me, but it must be said.

The sims team was never consistent, nor did they ever pay enough attention to the pre-mades. It might seem like Sims 2 was the last game where they paid attention to continuity, but the only thing they had to pay attention to was who were in the Sims 1, what they looked like, and what their simology was. That has since been done every time (sorta, the Sims 4 Caliente gals have some Issues but I digress), and Sims 2 is pretty much the first game to actually have some deeper "plot" than that. Besides this, there are all those continuity errors in the memories, the EP hoods, and sometimes even the names (why the Monty twins are named after a married couple and not an actual pair of Shakespeare twins is beyond me).

Also, they've been scamming us since the Sims 2 as well, University and Free Time gave us basically the same bookshelf. * burns myself with tea *
Screenshots
Instructor
#9857 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 12:17 AM
Quote:
I got tired of randomly buying new outfits for my Sims when they got the want to buy clothes or grew up into a bad outfit, so I've decided to color-code their wardrobes according to aspiration and make it easier for me to remember what they are.

Popularity = pink and/or purple
Fortune = green and/or gray
Pleasure = orange and/or brown
Romance = red and/or black
Knowledge = blue and/or tan
Family = yellow and/or white

I may color-code their cars too.

Very Brave New World.

I usually buy new outfits once when someone ages up and leave them alone until they age up again. Or when I decide the tank top and hot pants they wore when they first became an adult are no longer befitting a congressperson and mother of 4, in the middle of winter.
Field Researcher
#9858 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 12:49 AM
@AndrewGloria I am happy to have inspired you and Kieran in the wearing of the green. As the 's' in my name stands for Shannon, I agree: Erin go bragh!
Scholar
#9859 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 12:59 AM
@sugoisama I love those bookcases! Sometimes when I make a house with a decent library I use mainly the one pictured on the left and then add in the one on the right in a few places. I think it adds variety and makes the house look more lived in with little knick knacks on some of the shelves.
Alchemist
#9860 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 2:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enebya
Is each toddler hair linked to only one kid hair? There aren't that many toddler hairs in an unmodded game - that might explain why the same hairstyles keep coming up.

There is a lot of toddler conversion meshes for Maxis hair in downloads section of this site.
Lab Assistant
#9861 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 8:26 AM Last edited by Neverwinter_Knight77 : 30th Jul 2020 at 8:51 AM.
Sims, especially in TS2, seem to be unbothered by a lot of actions that would be considered very rude in real life. The influence system works kinda like mind control in that nobody ever refuses the action, whether it be flirting, fighting, cleaning, or writing someone else's term paper. A visitor can barge right into your home uninvited, in certain circumstances. Crank calls seem to not really do anything at all. You can run out of your house and demand a walkby to leave, with no negative relationship score. Then there's the snippy relatives who answer the phone like "He's working, unlike SOMEBODY I know." Not much reaction to streakers... And you can tickle a random stranger, or prank them, and depending on their personality, they may get a kick out of it. I don't know, maybe Sims have a greater tolerance for rudeness.

Oh, I forgot a big one. Walking into a room and turning off a TV that somebody else is watching. lol
Mad Poster
#9862 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 10:47 AM
You know the best part about this game?
That nobody in it judges each other by the same standards that human beings do.
One can be purple, gay, and green haired, and nobody calls you out on it.
Nobody harasses you or threatens your life for it. Nobody dies from it.
Being rich or poor has no effect on whether or not you get a job/house/girlfriend. (except for those silly fortune pixels.)
I think we could learn a lot from those cartoon characters.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/#myfiles (including funerals!)
Mad Poster
#9863 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 1:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
Now I'll have to make something green for Kieran to wear -- it's the least that he deserves.

If you don't already have something green then you have too little CC. :P
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9864 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity
If you don't already have something green then you have too little CC. :P
Point taken!

Even without CC there's quite a bit of green Maxis clothing. This is how Berjes Wilsonoff was dressed when he first showed up in my game:
(February 2013 at Veronaville Swim Centre!) Even today he usually dresses in green.

As you may have guessed it's something more specific that I'm trying to make for Kieran. Like Julian, Kieran generally prefers to wear not very much, and he's currently wearing one of the outfits you (Charity) made for me, a pair of light denim separate shorts with sexy feet. Since he's now told us that he's an Irish nationalist, I'm trying to make a green recolour of those shorts for him. Unfortunately, the graphics program i used to use for quick and dirty recolours, the Photo Editor from Microsoft Office 97, is on an old computer that is now inaccessible to me, and the equivalent utility in Office 2010, is very basic and lacks the ability to change colours. So I've now downloaded and installed GIMP, which I'm sure can do the job. However it's a big complex program compared to the old MS Photo Editor, and it's likely to take a few hours for me to work out how to do the recolour. If I get really stuck I might come back and ask you for help, but it really is time that I learned how to use one of these higher end graphics programs for myself. (I also have Photoshop Elements, which came bundled with my computer, but it too I find overwhelming. I did once use it to work through a clothes recolouring tutorial here though.)

I'll let you know hew I get on.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#9865 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 9:45 PM
Playnite (game launcher) has a handy feature to run a script before launching a game. Unfortunately my old batch file to delete the groups.cache and accessory.cache caused an error if the files weren't there. I finally fixed it by using PowerShell script instead:

Code:
$FileName = "D:\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Accessory.cache"
if (Test-Path $FileName) 
{
  Remove-Item $FileName
}

$FileName = "D:\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Groups.cache"
if (Test-Path $FileName) 
{
  Remove-Item $FileName

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Usually hanging out in Sim Crafters these days. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Welcome to Oakbrook.
Mad Poster
#9866 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 2:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH
You know the best part about this game?
That nobody in it judges each other by the same standards that human beings do.
One can be purple, gay, and green haired, and nobody calls you out on it.
Nobody harasses you or threatens your life for it. Nobody dies from it.
Being rich or poor has no effect on whether or not you get a job/house/girlfriend. (except for those silly fortune pixels.)
I think we could learn a lot from those cartoon characters.

Agreed, 100%. Reminds me of this post I saw a while back.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Instructor
#9867 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 3:50 AM
You know, I keep trying that motherlode cheat when I'm logged into my bank account and it never works.
Mad Poster
#9868 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 3:58 AM
I wish the motherlode cheat would work on my bank account. Although if my license goes through, I should be getting a pay raise.

One way I wish the real world was like Sims is that it is easy to get a job. Just look at the newspaper or computer, apply and get it. There are no wasted degrees in the Sims.
Inventor
#9869 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 10:57 AM
When you want to build plasticbox's sims 3 houses for your game because they fit the aesthetic you want to achieve, but realize:

1) you're a terrible builder
2) 90% of their houses have basements

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9870 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 7:14 PM
As promised, I've given Kieran a new green pair of shorts:

Here he is in Jack and Ravi's house in Mendoza Lane in downtown Veronaville.

I don't think they're quite as good as Charity's original blue shorts, but they are the first recolour I've done in GIMP, and I'm sure they're just as good as I'd have done using my old Microsoft Photo Editor. My first attempt was a bit bright and garish even for the Emerald Isle, but my revised toned down version seems a bit more reasonable. Hopefully I'll get better with a bit of practice. Anyway Kieran's not complaining.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Alchemist
#9871 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 8:28 PM
Question about shirt. Did he play razzle with dog?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9872 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 1:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annaminna
Question about shirt. Did he play razzle with dog?
It's actually a Maxis vest -- well what's left of it! It's certainly seen better days. I'm not sure why he even bothers putting it on now -- possibly because Jack Gill (who's playing chess with him right now) is telling him that he looks cute in it.

Yesterday when I was getting dressed, I put on a green shirt. I wonder if I chose it in subconscious solidarity with Kieran.

Maybe someone should give Kieran a green shirt to match his shorts -- I don't think he's got much money. Apparently not enough to buy a new vest.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#9873 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 11:07 AM Last edited by Charity : 2nd Aug 2020 at 4:59 PM.
If you have my stubbies they do come in a khaki green (and having actually checked, a brighter green as well). And get that poor man a proper shirt. XD
Inventor
#9874 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 11:36 AM
It's when you want to be able to start adding apartments to your main district as it starts to fill up and needs starter homes for poor young singles and couples moving in and find you don't have enough apartment lot options in your library to choose from unless you start resorting to using one of the EA ones.
1.I don't use theirs after having far too many issues with theirs including controller errors oftenshowing up in their builds and I've had almost none of that in my builds.
2.I've built far more apartment lot options that have a wide range of prices and many are meant to be affordable if you're not well off.
Lab Assistant
#9875 Old 4th Aug 2020 at 10:32 AM
Has anybody had a house with pets get a burglar? Would the pets react? Is it even possible? I haven't had a burglar on any lot that has a pet or babies on it due to the irregular sleep patterns.
Page 395 of 400