Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#176 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 6:17 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 15th Jul 2019 at 8:32 PM.
Is Reddit aware of this? That's concerning.

Edit: okay, so I've been playing with Simmy's tool for some time now. Here's my impression of it. It rules. It doesn't reduce loading times, it doesn't make you go in and out of Build/Buy any faster, but when you run the simulation in Live Mode, there's basically NO lag. You can run it at speed 1, speed 2, speed 3.....doesn't matter. It just sticks to a nice, stable 90 frames per second. Sims no longer stand around for 30 seconds when you ask them to change clothes. Usually all it takes is 5. I didn't really notice a major difference when I first tried it but holy crap, I found the improvements.
This isn't some sort of fix-all magic solution but it makes the game a lot less frustrating. I'd say it's pretty much the real deal.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#177 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 10:19 PM
How is it in CAS?

The Receptacle still lives!
Instructor
#178 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
How is it in CAS?

Yes, yes, yes! I must know this! I have all the Expansions and only two Stuff packs--no custom content installed whatsoever at the moment--and CAS is so frickin' slow. Who was the genius who thought that the filter options should only be available after everything has already loaded?

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Mad Poster
#179 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 11:16 PM
Virtually unchanged, but my performance in CAS was already much better than usual. Chances are it'll have more effect on installs that haven't already been optimized.
No, on my end the difference is strictly limited to Live Mode, but that's okay by me since this was by far the slowest part of the game up until now.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
#180 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi

Edit: okay, so I've been playing with Simmy's tool for some time now. Here's my impression of it. It rules. It doesn't reduce loading times, it doesn't make you go in and out of Build/Buy any faster, but when you run the simulation in Live Mode, there's basically NO lag. You can run it at speed 1, speed 2, speed 3.....doesn't matter. It just sticks to a nice, stable 90 frames per second. Sims no longer stand around for 30 seconds when you ask them to change clothes. Usually all it takes is 5. I didn't really notice a major difference when I first tried it but holy crap, I found the improvements.
This isn't some sort of fix-all magic solution but it makes the game a lot less frustrating. I'd say it's pretty much the real deal.

Does it reduce RAM usage by the game?
Mad Poster
#181 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 11:54 PM
Maybe. I'm not sure yet. If so, by a couple of hundred megabytes at most.

insert signature here
Theorist
#182 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 8:30 PM
You kept that quiet
So what about the stickyness of Ts3's camera? Does it reduce that?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#183 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 9:06 PM
The what?

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#184 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 1:11 PM

Wow that sounds great! Was the tool very self explanatory? I would've volunteered to try but was afraid I'd fork up royally.

I'd also like to know about the jerky camera. I think what Tiz meant is the stuttering you get when you move the camera or rotate it.
Mad Poster
#185 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 3:46 PM
Well the way the tool(s) work isn't immediately obvious, I had to ask Simmy for a manual, but after that it became pretty straightforward. Still, there were a few things about the tool that confused me but aside from the 90 or so minutes it needed to process my packages, it only took about half an hour.
As for camera jerkiness....as far as I can tell at a glance, it's gone.

insert signature here
Theorist
#186 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tysika
I would've volunteered to try

Aaah, Is that how you get the beta version? You have to volunteer? Me too then please if that's the case

#BlairWitchPetition
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#187 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 9:38 AM
I volunteer also sound great
Inventor
#188 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 10:48 AM
I've only ever played it with 3 expansions, 3 game packs and maybe 7 stuff packs, and it was clearly already struggling. I can't really imagine running it with all the packs that are out now. It must be a total lagfest.

My niece has all EPs, GPs and most SPs. I tried it on her mid-range gaming PC and it runs as you'd expect: very fluid when it comes to CAS/build mode but there's a very noticeable simulation lag, especially when using Ultra Speed (they literally stand on the same place doing nothing). The more Sims you have and the larger your lot, the more noticeable simulation lag is (she has save game in San Myshuno that's virtually unplayable). I don't think developers care at all about this issue so they won't fix it. Some player don't even notice the simulation lag because the in-game clock runs at full speed all the time and the game responds as if it wasn't lagging. I have tried the simulation lag fixes but they don't seem to be working at all, at least on my niece's game.
Mad Poster
#189 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 4:51 PM
Oddly enough I didn't notice it at first but my game is virtually free of simulation lag now. Everything happens as it should, the game speeds up immediately, time does not pause at any moment, and Sims immediately respond to new interactions. I'd say that more than makes up for the fact that the rest of the game doesn't really run any better. I mean it's a really fucking cool mod.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#190 Old 23rd Jul 2019 at 3:24 PM
Wow I'm glad it fixes the simulation lag. I can live with CAS and BB mode being laggy (especially if you have tons of CC)
Forum Resident
#191 Old 23rd Jul 2019 at 3:37 PM
Dunno if everyone else uses this option already, but if your lag in CAS is particularly bad and you have Master Controller, there's an option under CAS settings for "compact" mode for different categories. It basically reduces every clothing preset down to 1 instead of 3, and makes more difference than you'd think since it doesn't have to load all of those different presets all at once.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#192 Old 23rd Jul 2019 at 3:45 PM
Oh yeah, that helps a lot. I only wish MC could force that setting on the regular CAS. No big deal having to go through Live Mode but my regular Edit Town CAS is broken in more ways than one.

insert signature here
Forum Resident
#193 Old 23rd Jul 2019 at 5:18 PM
@AGuyCalledPi It does if you have the Integration module. It takes the regular CAS "calls" and makes MC's CAS available whenever it's used. Live Mode, Edit Town, whatever.

Mad Poster
#194 Old 23rd Jul 2019 at 6:15 PM
Oh neat. I really need to look into this whole module thing sometime.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#195 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
Dunno if everyone else uses this option already, but if your lag in CAS is particularly bad and you have Master Controller, there's an option under CAS settings for "compact" mode for different categories. It basically reduces every clothing preset down to 1 instead of 3, and makes more difference than you'd think since it doesn't have to load all of those different presets all at once.

Yup- compact CAS, compact wallpapers and floors in Build mode- hide EA's clutter and you'd be surprised how much better the game runs loading these menus.
Theorist
#196 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 11:24 AM Last edited by tizerist : 24th Jul 2019 at 12:07 PM.
I’ve found a way to access the tool with a proxy along with VPN. Downloading now

#BlairWitchPetition
Inventor
#197 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 9:31 PM
Guess what? Some guy at Reddit is using this thread to take a jab at The Sims 3.

Quote:
You know sims 3 has a shitty performance when almost 12000 clicked on this

Some of us have decent or nearly flawless performance but we're still interested in what simmy has developed to improve performance, especially for people with modest PCs.
I'm so sick and tired of this fake narrative that The Sims 3 runs "like sh!t" on all PCs.
Forum Resident
#198 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 10:26 PM
I'm all for admitting TS3 has huge optimization problems, but I honestly believe the ones who make these comments constantly are the ones who'd just as soon go to the budget pc store, take a low-end bargain $199 laptop bloated with pre-installed software home, install the game and have it running while simultaneously having 5 different programs open in the background along with a web browser with 50+ tabs open.

The only thing I see with that post's title is poor grammar. If you're going to make a jab at TS3 and say it has "a shitty performance" like you're referring to an object, learn how to write properly first.

Mad Poster
#199 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 10:46 PM
Reddit is so predictable. Can't stop fawning over TS4 while also constantly bitching about how much better TS3 was (past tense). But actually playing TS3? Nah, because none of them can be bothered to spend 15 minutes doing a bit of tweaking. And the worst part is that next to any other mainstream social network, Reddit always looks like some bastion of reason and patience. YouTube comments on Sims videos make me want to delete the entire internet. 'Twas a mistake.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#200 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 10:55 PM
Except that I'm not following the logic here, with or without the grammar mistakes. If I went to a forum board devoted to coffee* and inhabited by coffee lovers, linked a post entitled "I think I found a way to make my coffee taste better!" that got 12,000 views, would I really be correct in concluding that most people think coffee tastes like garbage to begin with? If that were truly the case, not many would even be interested in reading about the new discovery.

(*substitute tea, apple pie, ice cream, etc. as desired; one of these days I may manage to convince myself that the entire world doesn't revolve around coffee, but that seems less likely as each year passes without that happening...)
Page 8 of 14