Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jan 2021 at 5:34 PM
Default Megahood Cross-Neighborhood Romances
Hiya,

For a while with my megahood I was trying to keep partnerships within each neighborhood. Romance sims could bork whoever they pleased anywhere, but actual commitments I wanted to try and limit within the sim's home hood.

However, I've been using the Find A Mate Crystal Ball a lot more often lately since discovering how handy it is for gay&bi sims to actually find somebody, and then when using it for my straight sims as well I'm finding that sometimes the best matches are in other hoods in the megahood.
But what I'm not sure about, is if I go ahead with these matches in other hoods, how do I decide which hood they should end up living in? For example Phineaus Furley's best match showed up as Allegra Gorey but he (once graduated) would live in Veronaville, and she (already graduated) lives in Pleasantview.

I guess my question is, if you play a megahood, what do you do in these situations? Flip a coin? Whichever town has more empty houses? Just pick randomly?
I recently caved and added Bluewater Village to the mix which doesn't have it's own university so for teens in that hood I'll be flipping a coin to see where they go, so I'll probably just flip a coin for this as well but I'm just curious what other megahood players would do.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 21st Jan 2021 at 7:03 PM
I might not be qualified to answer (not playing a megahood), but in my own hood when a similar situation comes up - whose house they should live in - I usually think of whose house I want to keep, or which house would be better for them. For example, when Didi Draper and Leon Oakley got married, I could choose between their respective houses: Leon lived in a one-story, two bedroom house with a layout I wasn't really a fan of (it wasn't bad or anything, just not my style), while Didi lived in a two-story, three bedroom house that I liked, and suited their needs better, as they would plan on one baby, and the spare room could become an office to skill in.

If they're going to move into a different house altogether, I think I'd choose based on which house I want them to live in, and not which hood. Maybe if a hood's about to be empty I'd have them move in their to keep the balance. I've also heard of somebody who limits the careers to neighbourhood (there's only a lab for the Science career in Strangetown, for example), so you could try something like that too, I guess. But overall I think you should also consider what the sims themselves would do when it comes to moving. I'm not the most keen on giving my sims free will, but I do give them the illusion of autonomy by making them do things that would actually make sense for them (no interest in school? Well then you're not gonna get a 4.0 GPA sorrey)
Theorist
#3 Old 21st Jan 2021 at 9:14 PM
Is there any reason why Phinneaus would live in Veronaville or why Allegra would live in Pleasantview?

When I play a neighbourhood with several of the other premade hoods attached as subhoods then I treat them as different neighbourhoods int he same city and I freely move the Sims around between them to wherever there's an empty house that would fit the characters/family, or room for an empty lot. I particularly like to settle adult childrent hat move out in different subhoods from their parents as a form of "independence"
And I don't treat the universities as "belonging" to one neighbourhood, IF I attach all three of them (I usually don't tbh, they add too many premades and swell the population), then I just treat them as three universities every Teen can go to, no matter where they are form.

So maybe look in which hood you can find a suitable house for them and just have them move there?

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Jan 2021 at 10:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CASnarl
how do I decide which hood they should end up living in?
I guess my question is, if you play a megahood, what do you do in these situations? Flip a coin? Whichever town has more empty houses? Just pick randomly?
I recently caved and added Bluewater Village to the mix which doesn't have it's own university so for teens in that hood I'll be flipping a coin to see where they go, so I'll probably just flip a coin for this as well but I'm just curious what other megahood players would do.

I tend to go to whoever has the better house. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I married the pirate lady to Malcolm landgrab, you can be sure she moved in with him not the other way around.

For uni, if the sim goes I often don't use the games uni's anyway but custom ones, but I go based on wealth. To me Sim State is for the wealthy.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Jan 2021 at 11:15 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Since I do consider each of the 3 unis as belonging to each of the 3 basegame hoods, that's why once Phineaus graduates, if he and Allegra weren't ready for living together (they most certainly aren't as I'm typing this), that he would get his own place in Veronaville and live by himself until that time came. Then it'd be the decision of who would move to the other's hood.

At the moment Allegra lives in the blue townhouse on that apartment lot of townhouses I can't think of the name of - not exactly the best place to raise a family which Phineaus, as a family sim, will likely want to do once he graduates. So in terms of a house they would get a brand new one. There's also more empty space in Veronaville. And, Allegra thus far has just been getting used and heartbroken by romance men who never speak to her again so in my head I figure she'd be more than happy to "move away" to Veronaville. But she's also kind of like an aunt to Castor Nova and his husband Tucker's alien kid so she has more going on in Pleasantview whereas Phineaus wouldn't have any ties to Veronaville other than being "from there".

Hmm, decisions decisions!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jan 2021 at 7:53 AM
I wouldn't keep sims in their own neighborhood for relationships and they can often move between them once the town is large enough to start adding shopping districts and downtowns though I might use one of the premande campuses for the private high school for the rich sims and a custom campus for the poor or just make the custom one start out as a private school then have it convert to public when the other campus is added once they need a second campus.It starts with a shopping district being added and a farming district first and later another shopping district is added before I even think about adding a downtown and that's a custom one.The main rule is that all couples are formed from groupls of friends or between two close friends who found themselves attracted romantically.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jan 2021 at 10:30 AM
I have different careers in different neighborhoods. Likewise, different universities have different career paths associated, and if a teen wants to get into a particular school for a life time want job they have to qualify. A teen who wants to go into Law must graduate from private school with at least three friends who went to ALT (or are assigned by family as having gone to ALT if adult or elder at start) and have scholarships and graduate from ALT. Then they must move to a town where the Law career exists. Some careers are everywhere, such as Law Enforcement and Education, some are very restricted, such as Show Business, Military, and Oceanography. Conflict over where to live arises in relationships when they can't both work in the same town. Another reason to live in a certain town would be if they have family or friends who would help them there, or if they are a sort of supernatural who are legally restricted in where they can live.

So basically I handle everything about where sims live differently than you do. I'm not sure if what I do can give you any ideas at all.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#8 Old 22nd Jan 2021 at 5:25 PM
Since I'm from a huge city, myself, with 100s of neighborhoods, I treat my megahood as one huge city. To me, my Uni's are far away, like Harvard would be. There is a Uni for every career, like one for Law, one for Oceanography, One for the Arts, and so forth. My subhoods, however, are set up for one of the following, Extremely rich, rich, rich wannabes, Upper Middle class, Middle Class, Lower Middle Class, Poor, extremely Poor, and Farmers. As in any huge city, my sims can meet each other in any business (no matter what subhood they live in), they can also date anyone from any subhood. My young adults, tend to live with their parents after college (unless they are rich) or in a one room house (yes, it is one room with kitchen/livigroom/bedroom in one tiny room, only the bathroom is separate) or one bedroom house. Most of my Single Adult Sims live in one bedroom houses. If they get engaged, the tend to move in with the Sims that has the best house. If and when they are married they find a home they can afford in any of the subhoods (usually from Lower class to Poor, unless they are rich). My Sims can move from one subhood to another. If they get better paying jobs they can move to the subhood the can afford, if they lose money in the stock market, the have to buy a cheaper home in a lower class subhood.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 23rd Jan 2021 at 4:33 AM
Like Debby1957, my hood is also divided up into classes (extremely poor, lower, middle, upper). My sims were assigned a class at the start of the creation of the neighborhood. Sims can only move up from a lower class to a higher class in two ways: reaching the top of their career & maintaining it by the time they hit the elder life stage or by marrying/taking the name of a sim in a higher class. As such, sims will usually aspire to move upward and take the name/move into the home of the higher class sim. There are some plot situations though where a sim chooses to move downward (Beatrice Monty married downward because she wanted to be free of the Monty family and the restaurant life).

Also, like Sunbee, my subhoods have different career opportunities. For instance, my farming subhood does not offer entertainment careers. If a sim wants to be in a specific career field, the hood they reside needs to be taken into consideration.

Otherwise, if they arent bound to any of the rules above, I'll base it off of personal preference. I get overwhelmed with too many households sharing the same last name, so if there are 3 Ottomas households in one subhood, I might move the 4th to another subhood. Or if there is a sims shortage or a lack of diversity in one subhood, I might move some sims over.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 23rd Jan 2021 at 2:17 PM
I personally base it on a sim's circumstance and where they are currently in the story.

In Crystal Pleasantview (Pleasantview and Strangetown combined), I have Sim State University, which is a Uni within Pleasantview, and La Fiesta Tech, a Uni within Strangetown. Where each sim attends college depends on aspiration, where they are in their story, friendship circle and so.

For example, Isabelle Lothario was born and raised in Pleasantview. She was a Knowledge sim who was quite interested in what had happened to her grandmother. Rumours say she was last seen in Strangetown, a place where even aliens were said to be seen. Wanting to see all the strange happenings in the town for herself, she went to La Fiesta Tech for college. Another example would be Tiffany Oldie, who also lived in Pleasantview all her life. Ever since her parents passed away when she was a teenager, she took full responsibility of looking after her younger adopted brother, Zidane. Since he was a teenager when she left for college, and she wanted to remain close to him, she went to Sim State University.

Where they go after depends on the same factors. Isabelle never returned to Pleasantview when she graduated, she got a house in Strangetown and is currently living with her boyfriend and their baby. Tiffany went back to Pleasantview, accompanied by Tank, who understood her reasonings and stayed with her, despite actually wanting to move back to his birth home. Zidane went to La Fiesta Tech with the rest of his friends, went back to Pleasantview briefly when he graduated, then moved back to Strangetown with his boyfriend, Johnny, because his mother needed support after Pol's passing.

In short, I base it on story and personality.

In your situation, if Allegra is wanting to remain close to her friends and there's nothing keeping Phineaus in Veronaville, then I'd move them to Pleasantview. Granted, this is what I would do based on my style of play, you may think of a much better course of action or view your hood differently from mine.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Mad Poster
#11 Old 23rd Jan 2021 at 3:06 PM
I just go by which house/hood they'll be happier in. For Leona McGreggor and Amanda DeBateau in my genderswapped uberhood, I moved the DeBateau's into the farmhouse because I thought Leona would like to keep the farm and Amanda would prefer to bring up Tarquin in the countryside, even though they're super rich and could afford a mansion anywhere. In my regular uberhood, Kent Kapp will probably move into Cyd Roseland's Pleasantview trailer to escape the Veronaville drama, and Jessica Peterson moved to Strangetown to be with Ajay Loner and escape the bad vibes of her ex-husband. In fact, they don't even need to be getting married to move to a new hood, I had loading problems at the Broke household, so in the end I moved them out and decided they're doing a moonlight flit to another hood (I forget if it's Riverblossom or Desiderata, oops) to get away from Dustin's criminal past.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 24th Jan 2021 at 6:24 AM
I'll just have the Dodge central and the Dodge township in a few years after the families there all start having children and the township is to be a shopping district where farming goes on and where new homestead lots get created as the central by then would be getting a little too full and they want to leave room for starter homes and smaller homes on smaller sized lots.Anybody not wanting to live on a smaller lot in a smaller home will move to the township not too long after it's added to the town.I by then would base where they lived on what they wanted and sims wanting to work at regular jobs would mostly live in the town center while sims looking to become farm families would move out into the tonwship.