Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#126 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 11:03 PM
Honestly I really doubt it will be a subhood. It said "open hood" which is the entire premise and reason for Sims 3 in the first place. If they required us to go to another hood, deal with the time issues again, and have sims aging at different rates, one might as well play Sims 2! Again, I think those subway tubes go to an underworld for the vampires. I could be wrong, but I guess we won't know for a while yet.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#127 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 11:08 PM
That is true. It's not like you could have put China in Sunset Valley

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Instructor
#128 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 11:13 PM
I think the subway is just a mass traffic system, its faster that using your car to drive there with the (possible) downside of having to walk to the station and then from the station to the destination lot.

The place seems very urban, I do question the traffic lights but I am not really expecting they start to play with the road system so cars start to obey traffic laws, its likely just decoration as the penthouse shown a rather "dead" town with empty roads.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#129 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 11:30 PM
Minor Update
I missed a 'Job'. The 'Dilettante', from the EA showcase.
It's someone who has interest in something, such as art, but has no knowledge to support it. That should be interesting :p
Scholar
#130 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 11:31 PM
They should bring back autonomous cars, like in the Studio Town view. It was so cool, all that traffic! Also, I noticed in the trailer that, at the end, that the water in the pool is reflecting objects. :O
Field Researcher
#131 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 11:40 PM

Man, it'd be nice if this were a sign that we were going to have more control over the shape of our Sims' bodies. But it wouldn't surprise me if someone in EA's marketing department looked over the the two bodies, demanded MOAR ABS MOAR TITS, and had them touched up for the video/screenshots.

Still, one can hope.

So I'm like, "Cool! What should I get? Brain in a jar... monkey's paw... ooh, pie!"
Test Subject
#132 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 11:53 PM
I don't know about the extended traffic. How did world adventures work anyways? I never got it, and i'm not sure i want to...
Scholar
#133 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 12:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by suzetter
Wonder if we'll get elevators to simulate going up to the penthouses?

I'm thinking they will appear in the game as you said, however we won't be able to actually build them ourselves. They'll just be part of the taller buildings.
Lab Assistant
#134 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 1:28 AM
I can immagine magic elevator gnomes, and magic subways. Also, I read something about "plasma fruits" for vamps. So now I'm immagining plasma fruit nectar. Yum.
Instructor
#135 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 1:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by qwertyfish11
How did world adventures work anyways?

You pull a vehicle out of you ass (a bike in China and a scooter in Egypt and France) and drive it, nobody else does it.

There is NO TRAFFIC in WA, in fact if this is a sub-hood based on the WA model of sub-hoods it will be horrible.
Banned
#136 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 1:45 AM
You guys don't really think about the complaints you make, do you?

If it's a sub hood, that does not mean it won't have traffic just because WA hoods didn't have traffic. Also, there WAS traffic in France/China/Egypt, but it was scarce because the townspeople don't have a reason to go anywhere. Not because it was a subhood.

Also, the vehicles in the WA neighborhoods are rented. You are a tourist. You are not going to ship your CAR to a foreign country, so you rent a more viable means of transportation.
Field Researcher
#137 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 2:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Achromagus
Also, there WAS traffic in France/China/Egypt, but it was scarce because the townspeople don't have a reason to go anywhere. Not because it was a subhood.
So true. were there any shops or grocery stores in France or something? Any gyms, pools, libraries or anything? If not, then true. No need to be anywhere. Coming back on topic, did anyone notice that in the blue bar in the video, there was no new furniture? Same old coffee tables and couches. But it was just the first trailer. Expect LOTS more than what we saw there.

"I've been really busy being dead. You know, after you murdered me. But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. you monster"

-GLaDOS
Field Researcher
#138 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 2:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LifesLover
Yeah, but that's not very realistic. I've played three different instruments, and it's pretty much that you may know and understand one, but that doesn't mean it'll help you know and understand or be able to play the others any faster.

It's not like languages or martial arts/athleticism. After all, martial arts deals with being athletic, so if you're already athletic, then that's one hurdle down.

-blinks-

What?

It's definitely easier to learn one instrument after learning another. One of the big things you need to learn is beats and notes and how to keep time - that crosses over for ALL types of instruments. Someone who knows how to play the strings of a guitar is going to acclimate far more quickly to a bass than someone who is just learning how to play the bass. Same with wind and brass instruments.

Check out my new blog - I Think My Cat Is An Alien
Field Researcher
#139 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 2:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CleoSombra
Someone who knows how to play the strings of a guitar is going to acclimate far more quickly to a bass than someone who is just learning how to play the bass. Same with wind and brass instruments.
Say someone knows the guitar really good, but that doesn't mean he's good at the drums. Same with the piano. The 'mastering one instrument and being on level 5 of every other one' idea is not that good. Doesn't make sense. Sure they know beat good, but still don't know how to use the others.

"I've been really busy being dead. You know, after you murdered me. But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. you monster"

-GLaDOS
Banned
#140 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 2:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Austin0331
Say someone knows the guitar really good, but that doesn't mean he's good at the drums. Same with the piano. The 'mastering one instrument and being on level 5 of every other one' idea is not that good. Doesn't make sense.

You do not know what music theory is, I take it? Once you know music theory, you'd probably start any instrument you picked up at level 2. Once you know a single instrument, you're without any doubt this has been a fact for hundreds of years going to have an easier time with any other instrument, especially if it's in the same family.

This is not conjecture, people are not pulling this information out of their hats when they say this stuff. Is it so much to ask that you listen and learn, instead of immediately dismissing everything as a lie or incorrect, with no basis?
Eminence Grise
#141 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 3:11 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 22nd Jul 2010 at 4:15 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Minor Update
I missed a 'Job'. The 'Dilettante', from the EA showcase.
It's someone who has interest in something, such as art, but has no knowledge to support it. That should be interesting :p

A dilettante is somebody who engages in a lot of activities, but is not necessarily very good at any of em

With a connotation of being a lightweight, but fun to be around.

I like it!

BTW Humble mispronounced it... it should be "di- luh- taunt", at least in American English. He gave it a pronunciation closer to the original Italian, maybe that one is more common in the UK, dunno

Quote: Originally posted by juansfalcin
Also, I noticed in the trailer that, at the end, that the water in the pool is reflecting objects. :O

Water in pools already reflects objects, if your graphics settings support it.
Field Researcher
#142 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 3:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakron
Also lets see what Teen rating description says:
Quote:
Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.

LOL, this is amazing, never took a look on what the "teen" rating actually meant...
Here in Brazil the Sims 3 rating is "16" (not recommended for under 16 people) due to "nudity, hints of sex, attenuated adult themes and physical aggression"...
Test Subject
#143 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 3:31 AM
You pull a vehicle out of you ass (a bike in China and a scooter in Egypt and France) and drive it, nobody else does it.

There is NO TRAFFIC in WA, in fact if this is a sub-hood based on the WA model of sub-hoods it will be horrible.

That seems like a waste of time...
But how did sims get to-and-from the base hood? Was it just a loading screen like TS2? That kind of takes away from the whole point of OWNING TS3...
Forum Resident
#144 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by qwertyfish11
That seems like a waste of time...
But how did sims get to-and-from the base hood? Was it just a loading screen like TS2? That kind of takes away from the whole point of OWNING TS3...

Yes, it was a loading screen, how else were you going to load a whole other world?
Test Subject
#145 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 3:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gobot101
Yes, it was a loading screen, how else were you going to load a whole other world?

I dunno....

I thought maybe an airport was added somewhere in Sunset Valley and It just showed you flying over water for a minute or two...
Forum Resident
#146 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 3:54 AM
Wouldn't that still be a loading screen?

And it would be much longer than a minute or two.
Instructor
#147 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 3:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gobot101

Well yes and no.

In your base hood the Sim drove (or a Cab takes him) to outside the map and then come the loading screen, then you are dump in base camp.

When going back it just starts the loading screen and then you see the Sim driving (or a cab taking him) back to the home lot.

qwertyfish11, the loading screen is required because its removing your home neighborhood from memory and loading the destination sub-hood and vice versa.

As people saying there was traffic on the Sub Hoods ... well *I* never seen any trafic and the road system for most part was awful, you could not drive inside the Chinese Town proper and MANY roads were just paths (meaning, you cannot drive in those), I remember Egypt were one road was so well done you got on the scooter, reach the base camp, get off the scooter and walk across the base camp , get on the scooter and drive until the road ended and then you had to see the sim walk to the destination.
Eminence Grise
#148 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 4:17 AM
the road system for most part was awful, you could not drive inside the Chinese Town proper and MANY roads were just paths (meaning, you cannot drive in those)

You ever travel anywhere outside the developed world?

Accurate. Especially since the foreign communities in WA are clearly not only foreign, but also set in the past... nineteenth century versions of those places.

As for the whole question of various music skills... I think the martial arts/athletics symbiosis is a good model.
Banned
#149 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
the foreign communities in WA are clearly not only foreign, but also set in the past... nineteenth century versions of those places.

...what?

Instead of "village" your first thought is "clearly set in the past"?
Theorist
#150 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 4:36 AM
Music theory is the basic skills and vocab that applies to nearly every instrument, if you know your theory then you would have a leg up if you want to play another one, however knowing vocab is nothing like learning the instrument, playing piano is nothing like playing the bass

Hi I'm Paul!
Page 6 of 95