Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 2:28 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 29th Mar 2019 at 2:36 PM.
Default (Kind of solved) Nvidia RTX and TS2?
I'm still looking around for a new laptop, and I've seen several of the newer ones have RTX graphic cards instead of the GTX cards. Does anyone have any experience with using these with TS2? I know it's going to need some setup in the graphic rules and such, but I don't want to be sure someone has successfully managed to make TS2 run on it.

Just asking, because I'm a bit unsure which to go for (GTX or RTX).

Also, does anyone have any tips on gaming laptops? I've had a look at MSI (the numbering on these is weird, though) and Clevo (been considering the Kunshan PA71 with GTX or PB71 with RTX, plus a couple others). I'm going to need some proper cooling, enough storage space (I'm aiming for at least an 512 SSD and 1TB+ HDD), and a Nvidia card of one of the newer types. The RTX type looks like it's still on the expensive side, though.

Basically something that's able to run full versions of TS2/3/4 (with my regular huge pile of CC and graphics on high), and possibly Minecraft and a couple other games. I'd rather have one that's a bit overpowered than one that'll start struggling after a short while.

And one final thing - I know my current laptop is close to kicking the bucket, since lately I've had issues with it either randomly restarting, getting bluescreens, or the screen going pixellated (with nothing working, so I have to hold in the power button to restart). But I'm wondering if there's something I can do to prolong its life. Drivers for the graphic cards seem to be updated, and most of the time up until the laptop does error out, the laptop does work fine, so I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. It tends to happen when I'm doing something a bit resource-heavy (game, Photoshop, SimPE, multiple or demanding browser windows, etc.), but this is very random, and I've had it flip out over having one browser page up (usually with MTS or Youtube running), while running more resource-heavy sessions just fine. I'm thinking it could be the processor or graphic card overheating, though I don't have a clue.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 3:25 PM
So... anyone?

I've had multiple bluescreens lately, today's count is 2 + a black screen startup after the first, so I think this laptop is about to throw in the towel for good.
Test Subject
#3 Old 29th Mar 2019 at 6:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
So... anyone?

I've had multiple bluescreens lately, today's count is 2 + a black screen startup after the first, so I think this laptop is about to throw in the towel for good.

I think it might be a hardrive issue. You can do defragmentation and other maintenance to prolang the life of your laptop. backup first!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Mar 2019 at 2:37 PM
It started when the battery died, and seems to happen easier if the laptop runs hot. I've done more frequent backups ever since the issue started.

I got a new laptop with a GTX card, so kinda solved (because for now I don't need to worry about RTX).