Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

LotExpander for Free Time (Obsolete)

by Mootilda Posted 21st Aug 2007 at 1:43 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:09 PM by Nysha

279 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 275 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 12
Test Subject
#126 Old 11th Jan 2008 at 11:43 PM
Thank you so much for this! I have an awesome custom neighborhood, but the squares of roads are all 6x6, and having that one little line of emptyness has been driving me crazy! so thank you, and thanks to Andi.
Instructor
#127 Old 13th Jan 2008 at 5:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
LotExpander Error and Warning Messages:

How to handle errors or warnings displayed by the LotExpander:

If you do not have a current backup, stop now. Make a backup of your neighborhood and re-start the lot expansion at the beginning.

If you have a backup, then carefully read any warnings or errors which occur before continuing with the process. Here are the known messages with an explanation of what to do:

--------------------

Error Message:
"Source array was not long enough. Check srcIndex and length, and the array's lower bounds."

Explanation:
This is a fatal error which is displayed by the C# runtime; it is an indication that the program does not know how to deal with the current lot file.

What to do:
If you continue, your lot and possibly your neighborhood will be corrupted. It is never a good idea to continue after seeing this message.

To help make the LotExpander better, please attach a copy of your original lot to this thread, so that I can determine what went wrong and fix it.

--------------------

Warning Message:
"This lot may be incompatible with the LotExpander because it is marked with a newer version of The Sims 2. The LotExpander only handles Expansion and Stuff Packs up to and including" {name of the currently supported EP / SP}.

Explanation:
The game files change with each Expansion and Stuff Pack released by EA/Maxis. This message is telling you that the current version of the LotExpander does not know how to handle your installed EPs / SPs.

What to do:
If you do not have a backup, stop now. Continuing may corrupt your lot and neighborhood.

Sometimes, the LotExpander is not affected by the new EP / SP and will be able to expand your lot without any problem. If you have a backup, you may want to continue and see whether the lot expansion proceeds normally. Be sure to keep your backup until you are sure that your lot is OK. If you have any problems, restore from your backup and wait for a new release of the LotExpander.

--------------------

Warning Message:
"This is an unfinished Feature. You can use it to enlarge your lot on the other side of the street. After using this, don't replace the lot anymore. So you can't share it. Do you want to use this feature?"

Explanation:
You have checked the "Over the road" checkbox. This is an advanced feature.

What to do:
If you have a backup, continue at your own risk. Your final dialog from the LotExpander will be different than the one shown in the tutorial.

--------------------

Warning Message:
"You didn't change any of this Lot's Values. So the only effect is unlocking all tiles of the lot. Tiles will only remain unlocked until you replace the lot the next time. Is this your intention?"

Explanation:
You have not specified any change to the size of the lot.

What to do:
If you want to expand the size of the lot, go back and increase the size on at least one side of the lot.

If you continue without changing the size of the lot, your final dialog from the LotExpander will be different than the one shown in the tutorial.

--------------------

If you get a warning or error message which is not on this list, the wisest course is to stop trying to expand the lot unless you have a current backup. Please post the error message on this thread, so that I can add it to this list.

My error message:
Unhandled exception has occured in your application.
************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SimPe.Packages.File.Read(IPackedFileDescriptor pfd)
at LotExpander.LotExpander.NeighborhoodScreen() in G:\Source\LotExpander\Source\LE129\129\LotExpander.cs:line 327
at LotExpander.LotExpander.NextButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in G:\Source\LotExpander\Source\LE129\129\LotExpander.cs:line 116
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
LotExpander
Assembly Version: 1.2.9.0
Win32 Version: 1.2.9.0
CodeBase: file:///E:/SIMS%202/SOFTWARES%20for%20TS2/LotExpander/LotExpander.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
simpe.package
Assembly Version: 1.0.2676.19318
Win32 Version: 1.0.2676.19318
CodeBase: file:///E:/SIMS%202/SOFTWARES%20for%20TS2/LotExpander/simpe.package.DLL
simpe.interfaces
Assembly Version: 1.0.2676.19317
Win32 Version: 1.0.2676.19317
CodeBase: file:///E:/SIMS%202/SOFTWARES%20for%20TS2/LotExpander/simpe.interfaces.DLL
simpe.helper
Assembly Version: 0.62.1.100
Win32 Version: 0.62.1.100
CodeBase: file:///E:/SIMS%202/SOFTWARES%20for%20TS2/LotExpander/simpe.helper.DLL
simpe.clst
CodeBase: file:///E:/SIMS%202/SOFTWARES%20for%20TS2/LotExpander/simpe.clst.DLL
simpe.commonhandler
CodeBase: file:///E:/SIMS%202/SOFTWARES%20for%20TS2/LotExpander/simpe.commonhandler.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#128 Old 13th Jan 2008 at 5:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by motherspet
My error message:[...]
This is the same error that dakkie13 reported a few days ago. It looks like the LotExpander is having problems reading the catalog description in one of your neighborhood files. I never got an answer to my questions from dakkie13. Perhaps you can help me to find this problem by answering a few questions.

Can you tell me which operating system you're running (Window XP, Vista 32, Vista 64, ...?), which EPs / SPs you have installed, and which language version of the Sims 2 you are running?

Thanks for your help.
Instructor
#129 Old 14th Jan 2008 at 12:05 AM
This is the same error that dakkie13 reported a few days ago. It looks like the LotExpander is having problems reading the catalog description in one of your neighborhood files. I never got an answer to my questions from dakkie13. Perhaps you can help me to find this problem by answering a few questions.

Can you tell me which operating system you're running (Window XP, Vista 32, Vista 64, ...?), which EPs / SPs you have installed, and which language version of the Sims 2 you are running?

Thanks for your help.

I gladly help you. After all you are going to help me, lol.
I run Win XP, I have all EP's EXCEPT season, FF, Celebration & Glamour Stuff. I think I have english US version.
Instructor
#130 Old 18th Jan 2008 at 11:23 PM
Mootilda, did you get any closer in solving my problem? I know that there is a life after Sims (hard to believe, lol) but I need it so badly.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#131 Old 19th Jan 2008 at 8:18 PM
Mootilda, did you get any closer in solving my problem? I know that there is a life after Sims (hard to believe, lol) but I need it so badly.
I'm afraid not. At the moment, I suspect a problem with the SimPE DLLs and Teen Style Stuff, but I haven't had much time to work on this lately. I'm really sorry that my life has been interferring with the Sims recently... I'll let you know as soon as I have something for you to try.
Scholar
#132 Old 26th Jan 2008 at 11:55 AM
How does one shrink the lots using your program?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#133 Old 27th Jan 2008 at 12:34 AM
At the moment, you can't. I've been working on adding that feature, but the game isn't particularly happy with the result - some people have had crashes and other in-game corruption.
Instructor
#134 Old 28th Jan 2008 at 1:59 PM Last edited by Khaibit : 28th Jan 2008 at 2:06 PM.
Another error- report when I try to run the LotExpander.exe...
Sorry, the report from my operating system is in German, I try to translate a few things that might be confusing. My operating system is Vista Ultimate 64bit (tried to install the "NetFx64.exe" as you said but it's already included) and I have all EPs + all stuff packs except Teen style installed.

Quote:
System.BadImageFormatException: Die Datei oder Assembly simpe.package, Version=1.0.2676.19318, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. Es wurde versucht, eine Datei mit einem falschen Format zu laden.
Dateiname: simpe.package, Version=1.0.2676.19318, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null (transation: null=zero)
bei LotExpander.LotExpander.NeighborhoodScreen()
bei LotExpander.LotExpander.NextButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in G:\Source\LotExpander\Source\LE129\129\LotExpander.cs:Zeile 117. (translation: Zeile means line)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Means: The file or Assembly simpe.package, Version=1.0.2676.19318" (etc.) or something related wasn't found. A file in a wrong format was tried to be loaded.
"bei" means "at/located".
Currently this Assembly thingy (??? Assemblybindung) isn't reported. I could switch it on in the registry if this might help you.
Quote:
************** Loaded Assemblys **************
mscorlib
Assembly-Version: 2.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100).
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll.
LotExpander
Assembly-Version: 1.2.9.0.
Win32-Version: 1.2.9.0.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Khaibit/Desktop/MTS2_LotExpander129/LotExpander.exe.
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll.
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll.
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll.
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll.
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll.
System.Windows.Forms.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll.
mscorlib.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll.

BTW, the error message stays the same when trying to run LotExpander in WinXP- compatibily mode (yes, sure - but I forgot to change that before my first try to expand a lot - and my game worked perfectly afterwards )
Hopefully this is helpful to you, otherwise just ask me for more information

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#135 Old 28th Jan 2008 at 4:04 PM
Khaibit,

Looks like it's unhappy with the SimPE package... can you run SimPE on your system? If so, which version of SimPE are you running?

Thanks!
Instructor
#136 Old 29th Jan 2008 at 9:04 AM
Hehe, should have mention that immediadely. I was using the latest official release, version 0.64.5.3992, just installed the QA again (0.65.10) and the LotExpander still complains about the same things. Which SimPe- version do I need to expand lots? :D

Site Helper
Original Poster
#137 Old 29th Jan 2008 at 4:21 PM
The LotExpander already installs the version of the SimPE DLLs that it expects. I was asking about running SimPE because the message above is complaining that it can't load simpe.package.dll... so I was wondering whether there was some conflict between Vista 64 and the SimPE DLLs.

At this point, I'm still trying to figure out what the problem might be...
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#138 Old 29th Jan 2008 at 4:42 PM
The SimPE repository at sourceforge has been rearranged a little - would that be making a difference?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#139 Old 29th Jan 2008 at 6:14 PM Last edited by Khaibit : 29th Jan 2008 at 6:23 PM.
Vista 64 is fine with SimPE (it's even not required to run it in compatibily mode) and I "played around" (as I don't know anything about programming): C&P the SimPe- files LotExpander uses into the LotExpander-file (yepp, kept a copy ) and Vista was all the time so kind to ask if it shall replace the older and esp. smaller files. Does this maybe answer Inge's question???
But as LE was already complaining about the latest official SimPe-DL... is it maybe (additionally) a Vista-thingy? Is there maybe someone else around running Vista 64 to check this?

BTW: stupid question: Why does the report say
Quote:
in G:\Source\LotExpander\Source\LE129\129\LotExpander.cs:Zeile 117. (translation: Zeile means line)
? If G:\ is referring to a HDD... I don't have so many - and as the file is currently still on my desktop I don't think that Vista declares the desktop to be a HDD, does it? :D

Instructor
#140 Old 29th Jan 2008 at 11:25 PM
I don't understand half of what was said here, but then I don't run Vista. My problem is with XP. I wonder if I should re-install the old version of SimPE? Or the old version of the lot expander?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#141 Old 31st Jan 2008 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
The SimPE repository at sourceforge has been rearranged a little - would that be making a difference?
No, I don't believe that this will make any difference.

Quote: Originally posted by Khaibit
BTW: stupid question: Why does the report say ? If G:\ is referring to a HDD... I don't have so many - and as the file is currently still on my desktop I don't think that Vista declares the desktop to be a HDD, does it? :D
It's talking about my G: HDD, which is where I store the source code for the LotExpander. Not a problem.

I don't understand half of what was said here, but then I don't run Vista. My problem is with XP. I wonder if I should re-install the old version of SimPE? Or the old version of the lot expander?
You could try an older version of the LotExpander, if you have one. I don't believe that changing your version of SimPE will make any difference at all.

At this point, I just don't have a clue what the problem is, so I don't have any good ideas for how to fix it.
Instructor
#142 Old 31st Jan 2008 at 8:21 PM
Stupid asking goes on...
As it seems to be OK to complain about things on your HDD ( at least I'm calmed about G:, thanks) why does it say that it doesn't agree with something in line 117? Could this be the reason for my problem (Vista, whatever)?
Do you maybe have an idea what I could try out to help you finding a sollution?

Site Helper
Original Poster
#143 Old 1st Feb 2008 at 12:23 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 1st Feb 2008 at 6:47 PM. Reason: Alternative explanation for exception
The important information is "System.BadImageFormatException: Die Datei oder Assembly simpe.package", which I'm translating as: simpe.package.dll has a bad image format. Line 117 (the call to the logic which sets up the neighborhood list) is several steps down into the stack, which means that it's basically irrelevant. The problem is probably occuring when the LotExpander tries to open a neighborhood package, which is the first time that the LotExpander uses the SimPE DLLs.

Alternatively, simpe.package.dll is throwing the exception because it believes that the neighborhood file has a bad image format.

Can you tell me how you are running the LotExpander? IE, do you just double click on the EXE in the windows explorer? Or, have you set up a shortcut in the start menu or on your desktop? If you are using a shortcut, have you got the "start in" directory set to the directory which contains the LotExpander EXE?

Is it possible that you had a corrupt zip file and that the simpe.packages.dll is corrupt? You could try downloading and unzipping again and see whether that helps.

Are you using a standard installation of the Sims 2? IE, are your neighborhoods in "My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods"? If not, can you tell me where they are stored?
Instructor
#144 Old 12th Feb 2008 at 3:32 PM
Didn't give up, was just too busy so sorry for the delayed reply.

Lot Expander is still on my desktop, the content from your rar file is kept in one folder. So I don't use a shortcut but open the folder on the desktop and double-click the .exe.
Re-downloaded, WinRAR unrared without complaining about corrupt content but the error stays the same. Seems like I could run XP which is stored on another HDD and try and find out what happens - do that later on.

It's a standard- installation but Vista calls things different ("MY Documents" were "Eigene Dateien" in WinXP while Vista calls it even in the German version "Dokumente") so to make sure that the path is still the same (just named different maybe) here's my personal complete neighborhood- path: C:\Users\Khaibit\Dokumente\EA Games\Die Sims 2\Neighborhoods which should be equal to "My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods"
Not just the game but also SimPE finds the neighborhood.packages and can open them without any problems so the files shouldn't be corrupt, should they?
Does the LE immediately after presssing the "Start" button try to open all the neighborhood- packages (mean: all content is read) or are the just listed and the selected neighborhood is loaded after pressing "Next"? Would it make a difference to remove some neighborhoods from the EA- folder to try and find out if the error is caused by one of the neighborhood.packages? Or would this be a kind of "waste your time- trial"?

Site Helper
Original Poster
#145 Old 12th Feb 2008 at 5:48 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 5th Mar 2008 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Remove temporary version
In order to create the neighborhood list, the LE opens every neighborhood (and subneighborhood) package and reads the Catalog Description (CTSS = 0x43545353). It does this even for hidden subneighborhoods. It seems likely that this is the step which is failing.

I created a version of the LE (1.2.9.2) which should skip all neighborhoods with missing or corrupted catalog descriptions. Note that I have not tested this new logic. This may not solve the problem, but might help us narrow it down anyway. Please try running this version and see whether it skips any of your neighborhoods or subneighborhoods.

If anything is missing from the neighborhood list, it would be helpful to look at the catalog description for these neighborhood and subneighborhood packages, to see whether any of the descriptions are corrupt or missing.

I've also checked the LE path logic with your specific path and I cannot see any obvious problems, so I no longer believe that this is a Vista vs. Windows XP issue.

You don't need to apologize for taking time to answer. I'm afraid that I haven't been able to work on this much lately, so I'm really the bottleneck - not you.

Update: Removed temporary version. Change incorporated into version 1.2.10 (Free Time), so there's no need for this anymore.
Test Subject
#146 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 5:08 PM
I'm searching for a LotExpander version (1.2.8 ?) to shrink a lot. I want to build a rowhouse, but I don't find a Version to set the Expand-Value to "-1". It would be nice if someone could link the right version or pm me.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#147 Old 14th Feb 2008 at 12:45 AM
The shrinking option is not currently available. Check back in a couple of weeks.
Instructor
#148 Old 14th Feb 2008 at 3:56 AM
[QUOTE=I created a version of the LE (1.2.9.2) which should skip all neighborhoods with missing or corrupted catalog descriptions. Note that I have not tested this new logic. This may not solve the problem, but might help us narrow it down anyway. Please try running this version and see whether it skips any of your neighborhoods or subneighborhoods.
[/QUOTE]

That version worked like a dream for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I had expanded 4lots already. Woo-hoo.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#149 Old 14th Feb 2008 at 4:35 AM
That version worked like a dream for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I had expanded 4lots already. Woo-hoo.
Can you tell me anything about the catalog description for the neighborhoods which were skipped over? If I understood what the problem was, I might be able to come up with a better fix. Thanks.
Instructor
#150 Old 14th Feb 2008 at 11:05 PM
Can you tell me anything about the catalog description for the neighborhoods which were skipped over? If I understood what the problem was, I might be able to come up with a better fix. Thanks.

Well, thats a bit of a long story. Firstly I got rid of the first 3 Maxis made nhoods, then I inserted empty lots (from Jordi in Maty)to prevent them from regenerating. I also had to do this several times until nhood no.4 as I had heaps of problems generating new nhoods ect.......So your question is a bit difficult to answer.
Page 6 of 12