Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 5:30 PM
Default Renaming a family/household in the Sims 1
So, it's been a long time I was trying to find a way to change the family name of a Sim. I couldn't find any answers on Google, neither MTS, so I think it may be a good idea if I post a thread about it, just in case someone else wants to know how to do it.

I've figured out you can change a household name with the IFF Pencil 2 software. You just need to edit the following two files in your neighbourhood fold (UserData for the first neighbourhood for instance) :

The family file located in the Export folder (It should look like this : "FamilyName_NumberAttachedToTheFamily.FAM", so, for exemple, "Jones_16.FAM")

● Rename this file with the new family name without changing the number.

● Using IFF Pencil 2 to open this file, pick the "CTSS" ressources on the left column and double-click the entry that contains the family name in the right column (Seems it's the "#1000" entry). In the "Strings" box select the USEnglish language and edit the family name. Press OK to complete. Save the file

● Using IFF Pencil 2 to open this file, pick the "FAMs" ressources on the left column and double-click the entry that contains the family name in the right column. In the "Strings" box select your game language and edit the family name. Press OK to complete. Save the file

Neighborhood.iff

● Using IFF Pencil 2 to open this file, pick the "FAMs" ressources on the left column and double-click the number of your family in the right column. In the "Strings" box select your game language and edit the family name. Press OK to complete. Save the file

I didn't find any other reference to a family name in a any other files (including characters files), neither in any other ressources in the said files (including HEX).
It looks to work great in game. Haven't experienced any bugs from now on and I think its a good choice if you don't want to delete and recreate a wealthy legit family or a family with a lot of friends.
And don't forget to backup your entire neighbourhood before editing these files.

However, I've made this post, not to post a tutorial, but to ask if any possible corruption could come out of this. Is there any missing references that need to be edited?

Anyway, I hope no one has already posted something about it in the first place. Don't want to state the obvious here.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 9th Sep 2020 at 8:14 PM
This is actually pretty interesting. I, at least, have never seen any program or utility to change surnames in The Sims; I'll try this methode whenever I can and post my results. It's preaty freaky the original sims hasn't really been modded as extensively as 2 and 3; it's the one with the strongest foundation!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 6:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ed95
This is actually pretty interesting. I, at least, have never seen any program or utility to change surnames in The Sims; I'll try this methode whenever I can and post my results. It's preaty freaky the original sims hasn't really been modded as extensively as 2 and 3; it's the one with the strongest foundation!

Glad you appreciate it! Do not hesitate to post your results (positive or negative!) after using this method. If any corruption or crashes to desktop (CTD) happen after editing the surnames please do report it.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 3:07 PM
Andd done! Thanks to this methode, I've been able to change the surname of my sim, Richard De Metz, to Richard Duprée. No problems so far whatsoever! I can see how this way can be useful in several saved games!

Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 9:49 PM
Very nice! Thanks for sharing your results! And now, enjoy!
Do not hesitate to come back here if things start going south (even the slightest weird behavior)! I still don't have any problem on my side.
Test Subject
#6 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 8:51 PM
It didn't work!
Quote: Originally posted by RulioShan
So, it's been a long time I was trying to find a way to change the family name of a Sim. I couldn't find any answers on Google, neither MTS, so I think it may be a good idea if I post a thread about it, just in case someone else wants to know how to do it.

I've figured out you can change a household name with the IFF Pencil 2 software. You just need to edit the following two files in your neighbourhood fold (UserData for the first neighbourhood for instance) :

The family file located in the Export folder (It should look like this : "FamilyName_NumberAttachedToTheFamily.FAM", so, for exemple, "Jones_16.FAM")

● Using IFF Pencil 2 to open this file, pick the "CTSS" ressources on the left column and double-click the entry that contains the family name in the right column (Seems it's the "#1000" entry). In the "Strings" box select the USEnglish language and edit the family name. Press OK to complete. Save the file

● Using IFF Pencil 2 to open this file, pick the "FAMs" ressources on the left column and double-click the entry that contains the family name in the right column. In the "Strings" box select your game language and edit the family name. Press OK to complete. Save the file

Neighborhood.iff

● Using IFF Pencil 2 to open this file, pick the "FAMs" ressources on the left column and double-click the number of your family in the right column. In the "Strings" box select your game language and edit the family name. Press OK to complete. Save the file

I didn't find any other reference to a family name in a any other files (including characters files), neither in any other ressources in the said files (including HEX).
It looks to work great in game. Haven't experienced any bugs from now on and I think its a good choice if you don't want to delete and recreate a wealthy legit family or a family with a lot of friends.
And don't forget to backup your entire neighbourhood before editing these files.

However, I've made this post, not to post a tutorial, but to ask if any possible corruption could come out of this. Is there any missing references that need to be edited?

Anyway, I hope no one has already posted something about it in the first place. Don't want to state the obvious here.

I'm playing the complete collection version, I've tried with the Portuguese version but it didn't work for me! Do you know another method on how to change sims names?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 9:40 PM
Hmm I play the game in Spanish, and I believe I changed the strings of the family BOTH in Spanish and in English. Have you tried that?
Test Subject
#8 Old 13th Feb 2021 at 1:13 PM
Default I've tried that too
Quote: Originally posted by ed95
Hmm I play the game in Spanish, and I believe I changed the strings of the family BOTH in Spanish and in English. Have you tried that?

It didn't work either.
I only need to change the FAM file in the export and the Neighborhood file, right? Or I need to put the FAM file in the import folder?
Besides, it works only for the UserData unumbered file or it works for any other?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Feb 2021 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zombots
It didn't work either.
I only need to change the FAM file in the export and the Neighborhood file, right? Or I need to put the FAM file in the import folder?
Besides, it works only for the UserData unumbered file or it works for any other?

Weird. I came up with this on the French version of the Complete Edition.

Are you sure there is only a single Portuguese language in-game (Portugal Portuguese / Brazil Portuguese)?

Anyway make sure to change the right entries in the Family file in the Export folder :
● The CTSS ressource-type entry containing the family name should be edited in US English
● But, the FAMs ressource-type entry containing the family name should be in Portuguese in your case.
And don't forget to edit the Neighborhood.iff file :
● The entry should be edited in Portuguese in your case.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 19th Jan 2022 at 8:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RulioShan

Neighborhood.iff

Thank you very much! Your tutorial is clear enough. With this method we can also edit the First Name & Character Description. Click CTSS and each string has different content. For example in Newbie household:
#1000 = Family name
#47 & #2047 = Betty's first name & character description
#48 & #2048 = Bob's first name & character description.
This application is a life saver!