Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#2401 Old 31st Mar 2021 at 9:18 PM
Well, apparently I'm a sadist. I guess I could argue that I don't usually cause *physical* pain for my sims, but the amount of drama I create on a regular basis can definitely be called "traumatic", so... I'm just gonna... go into the corner...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2402 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 1:37 AM
In another thread simsample told me about these drainpipes (roof gutters and downpipes) for Sims 2 buildings. Years ago, in a previous life, I was a model railway enthusiast, and all the building kits, especially the German plastic ones, came with little gutters and downpipes. Even house kits for the tiny 1:220 scale Z Gauge which I used latterly had them. So I was kind of surprised not to find drainpipes on Sims 2 houses. Why didn't Maxis think of them?

Anyway now that I know about these ones by Frillen I'm going to start putting them on my Sims 'houses. Frillen did the gutters by making them as fences. Why didn't Maxis think of that?

I've also found two rather attractive hairs by Sizz. When I say "two" I mean the male and female versions of the "Usa" hair. I don't know how I never spotted them before. I've been using Sizz's "Hanui" hair since the very beginning of my game. (It's Julian's hair.) The "Usa" hair maybe isn't quite as good as the "Hanui", but it comes in two lengths for both sexes, and I rather like it. btw I like the pictures of the Sims that Sizz uses toillustrate his/her hairs. I'd love to know the backstory of those Sims.

Of course all these have been around for years, and maybe everybody else knows about them. But they're all new to me!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Theorist
#2403 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 12:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I was on Tumblr, and came across this utterly fascinating post by a Sims 2 developer. Tells all about the way the game was coded, and more.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/letthemplaysims

I don't really like the gender stereotyping he does.
And as to the "4 players".... I'm neither of them.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2404 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 3:43 PM
You can read those threads from Jake Simpson much easier on his twitter:
https://twitter.com/JustJakeSimpson...520117845491714
https://twitter.com/JustJakeSimpson...715854586957825
https://twitter.com/JustJakeSimpson...687600262090753
https://twitter.com/JustJakeSimpson...017714695704577

Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
I don't really like the gender stereotyping he does.
And as to the "4 players".... I'm neither of them.

Do you mean the demographic stuff they got from Sims 1? That was actual information from the game, that just happened to confirm some stereotypes. Sims 2 is a broader game, so would probably give different results. 'Modder' would have to be one; there are people who hardly play but just create mods. I am definitely a builder though- workd builder.
Theorist
#2405 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 5:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample

Do you mean the demographic stuff they got from Sims 1? That was actual information from the game, that just happened to confirm some stereotypes. Sims 2 is a broader game, so would probably give different results. 'Modder' would have to be one; there are people who hardly play but just create mods. I am definitely a builder though- workd builder.

No I was talking about the BS that games "need women on the team" so that the game can be "cute and whimsical"
To me that's both stereotyping women to be interested in things that are cute and whimsical and stereotyping men to be incapable of thinking up such things.

Yes, development teams should include both men and women, because they are both just as capable of doing the work required and both can contribute equally. People of all genders can be whimsical and people of all genders can be incapable or uninterested in it.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2406 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
No I was talking about the BS that games "need women on the team" so that the game can be "cute and whimsical"

Maybe that's saying more about the actual women involved, not necessarily a stereotype. His following comment was pretty broad.

Anyway, now we know that Lucy Bradshaw was the one who didn't think hot-tub threesomes were worth the coding time, how's that for fun and whimsy?
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2407 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 11:29 PM
Maybe that's saying more about the actual women involved

Ahuh.

I do not think of fun and Whimsy and Lucy Bradshaw together in the same thought.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#2408 Old 3rd Apr 2021 at 2:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I do not think of fun and Whimsy and Lucy Bradshaw together in the same thought.

Today I learned that my auntie shares a name with someone who worked on TS2? Upon googling it, that seems to be a common name, apparently, (so I don't think I'm in any danger of being doxxed lmao) but my god, that surprised me then. Thought I'd have to go and ask my Auntie Lucy a very stern set of questions...

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2409 Old 3rd Apr 2021 at 3:02 PM
Yeah, Aunt Lucy, why no hot tub three-ways?
Theorist
#2410 Old 3rd Apr 2021 at 5:11 PM
Not gonna lie, hot tub three ways, as well as poly-amorous relationships for Romance Sims, would have been awesome. Can you imagine if they gave that its own little movie, like wih regular woohoo? hahahah

The Romancemod takes care of the poly-amorous relationships, but hot-tub threesomes still don't exist.

Mad Poster
#2411 Old 3rd Apr 2021 at 6:27 PM
Remember, Lucy Bradshaw was the main developer behind Sims 3 which did not have babies at the start. She obviously does not like sex-and especially hottubs or the menage a trois.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Forum Resident
#2412 Old 3rd Apr 2021 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Remember, Lucy Bradshaw was the main developer behind Sims 3 which did not have babies at the start. She obviously does not like sex-and especially hottubs or the menage a trois.

I'm sorry, the sims 3 didn't have *what* at the start
Alchemist
#2413 Old 3rd Apr 2021 at 6:47 PM
Do you mean Sims 4 and toddlers?

This little section on the decision to make custom content creation inaccessible to most was interesting (and annoying. I've spent what probably adds up to months of my life trying to force some semi-decent animations into this game).

"BUT, they weren't about to put the content creation tools we used out there, because then other people could create content as good as the expansion packs that EA produced, which was a major source of $. So what they settled on was a graduating scale of 'easy to produce' content that users could create. So, reskinning an existing object was easy. Creating animations for that object wasn't too hard, assuming you knew the names of the animations that the object required..

... and certain bones that were required so the Sim could stand appropriately infront of the object, and then grasp it, if need be. Adding Sim animations was nigh on impossible, and there was no way that EA was going to allow people to create their own scripts. Both from a "This takes $ away from us" and also from a "We always want this game to work" point of view. Allowing users to create scripts invites scripts that crash or are buggy or drag performance down.

EA wasn't about to take money out of their own mouths, so this and the object packaging system was never described publicly. Of course we inside knew this would be reverse engineered within weeks of release, but whatever. Gotta make the suits happy. One of the biggest PIA was releasing the sim builder tool early, about 2 months before the main game was released. It was a good marketing and business idea, but from a tech point of view, it was incredibly limiting. We literally could make no changes to the Sims definition at all, once that tool was out. Couldn't fix anything or add anything. It was quite limiting, although, like I said, a great way to boost interest in the game."
Mad Poster
#2414 Old 4th Apr 2021 at 1:11 AM
I am definitely a builder though- workd builder.

Nhood building is the best thing since fried bananas. Weird looking on the outside, good tasting on the inside!

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Alchemist
#2415 Old 8th Apr 2021 at 10:53 PM
Too epic not to post:

Simler90's Stair Straight Mod.

Quote:
This mod allows multiple sims to use regular, straight stairs.

Doesn't look like it's compatible with Puppies/Toddlers use Stairs at the moment, but I don't even care. This is something that should have been implemented from the base game; finally a reason to use straight stairs again!

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#2416 Old 16th Apr 2021 at 8:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Amura
I've just learned a label for my play style: I'm a Maximizer, people.

Very interesting thread!

EDIT:
Also I loved this line:
Maxis didn't say no to threesomes, just, they didn't have time to make the animations and scripts

I'm a maximizer too. Been trying to kinda avoid that since I want to make a sorta real-ish setting... as real as a space colony can be, that is... so I start putting limits on things like selling, and of course the aspiration rewards. Thing is though, I might give certain Sims drinks from the Elixir of Life just to give them variety in lifespan and of course give them more years or fewer based on their lifestyles. Still, even lifestyles don't always guarantee long lives, as some super-fit runners would attest to if they hadn't keeled over suddenly. *cue Brew theme*
Alchemist
#2417 Old 2nd May 2021 at 6:20 PM
Alchemist
#2418 Old 4th May 2021 at 6:01 PM
Allthehairs is back! :lovestruc (https://www.allthehairs.podserver.info/)

No more Google security warning and the spam is getting deleted! Speaking of spam, you now need to register in order to add a new entry, but I'm okay with that if it means getting one of my favorite databases back. And if anyone has some free time and wants to help fight spam/upkeep the database, check the "Leave a comment" page.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Scholar
#2419 Old 5th May 2021 at 5:19 AM
Scholar
#2420 Old 5th May 2021 at 5:27 AM Last edited by kewpie : 5th May 2021 at 5:38 AM.
I like the idea of bin families. I want to add them in my hoods that get too inbred and need new blood. BUT I HATE how the bin families “escape” and end up in carpools, and come home from school with your playables.

So I got a bunch of clean neighborhood templates that got rid of those folk for good! But I still wanted to be able to add them in the hoods. It turns out someone has extracted them!! Now you can download each bin family individually!!

https://maranatah.livejournal.com/106813.html?

And it gets better. You can also download families from other premade hoods, without having to create an Uberhood. Think if it: Nina and Dina go on a road trip, get lost and wind up in Strangetown.

But wait, there’s more! All the townies, downtownies, garden club, apartment life social groups. So you can have Goopy and Sandy Bruty can terrorize Veronaville!! From now on, when I run low on townies, I’m going to download some of these guys instead of making new random ones.

There are also clean safe versions of premade dead sims. I don’t know what I’d do with them.. it’s not like resurrection — they’re just ready to go live in your hoods as if they never died. Not my thing.

Sorry but I just love this. I can’t wait to need new blood in a town.
Scholar
#2421 Old 5th May 2021 at 6:39 AM
all the townies you say... at last my uberhood will be (closer to being) complete!
Field Researcher
#2422 Old 5th May 2021 at 11:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kewpie
I like the idea of bin families. I want to add them in my hoods that get too inbred and need new blood. BUT I HATE how the bin families “escape” and end up in carpools, and come home from school with your playables.

So I got a bunch of clean neighborhood templates that got rid of those folk for good! But I still wanted to be able to add them in the hoods. It turns out someone has extracted them!! Now you can download each bin family individually!!

And it gets better. You can also download families from other premade hoods, without having to create an Uberhood. Think if it: Nina and Dina go on a road trip, get lost and wind up in Strangetown.

But wait, there’s more! All the townies, downtownies, garden club, apartment life social groups. So you can have Goopy and Sandy Bruty can terrorize Veronaville!! From now on, when I run low on townies, I’m going to download some of these guys instead of making new random ones.

There are also clean safe versions of premade dead sims. I don’t know what I’d do with them.. it’s not like resurrection — they’re just ready to go live in your hoods as if they never died. Not my thing.

I often get tempted to delete the bin families. Especially since I play multiple neighborhoods and don't like seeing duplicate Sims. But then I remember the corruption thing.
Forum Resident
#2423 Old 5th May 2021 at 12:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kewpie

Meetme also extracted them, but as subhoods you can add and delete, so they're families instead of inhabited lots - which is a lot safer to my knowledge, but what do I know. Then again theirs is grouped by EP, so I can't really have just the Ottomas family and not the Ramaswami family...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2424 Old 5th May 2021 at 12:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
Allthehairs is back! :lovestruc (https://www.allthehairs.podserver.info/)
Thanks for the link- I am ridiculously pleased about this!
Alchemist
#2425 Old 6th May 2021 at 10:38 PM
TS3 useable snowboard half-pipe by Jellymeduza

:lovestruc

...You guys, between this and Chris Hatch's ski mod, my sims actually have a things to do in Three Lakes now! And there's Maybesomethingdunno's surfing mod--I swear, I love this community. Who says this game is dead?!

aka Kelyns | she/her
Page 97 of 119