Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 12:02 PM Last edited by amber505 : 23rd Jul 2011 at 4:48 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default All my sims have blank want slots
I started my game recently and found that every family I loaded had blank want and fear slots (ie they were just the blue background with nothing in them) some families start off with the wants that they had before but as soon as any is fulfilled, they disappear and this affects the want slots of everyone else on the lot too. I have used simblender to try rerolling wants but nothing happens. If I use it to add extra want slots, the extra slots appear black with the locked symbol on it.

At first I thought that the hood that I've been playing for years had finally got corrupted since I did a lot of the things that you're not supposed to do when I first got the game but I've done everything I can think of, so playing without my downloads folder and playing without any user files at all and I still had the issue in newly generated hoods.

I have since unistalled and reinstalled the whole game but it still hasn't fixed it in any of the hoods I've tried playing. I am in the process of trying to get everything patched but I'm on a very slow internet connection and, as far as I know, everything was patched up to AL before I reinstalled anyway.

I have all EPs and SPs. System specs:
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire 5536
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-74 (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 2942MB RAM
Page File: 1504MB used, 4598MB available

Edit: I have now found that unistalling M&G stuff and playing with the AL disc works fine so I assume the problem is something to do with my M&G disc. Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 8:26 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 23rd Jul 2011 at 8:43 PM.
Try the lot debugger:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...topic,72.0.html

I seem to remember that it has an option to fix blank want slots (not documented in the download thread). backup your save game first. Then, try Fix / My want slots & locks. You might also want to try Memory / Wipe corrupt, since corrupt memories can cause problems with the want slots.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 4:30 PM Last edited by amber505 : 26th Jul 2011 at 6:31 PM.
I did try the lot debugger which didn't seem to fix anything but I didn't extensively mess around with it. At the moment, I'm still playing without M&G stuff installed and its all going fine but I've had to start a new neighbourhood.

I'm keeping my old hood files safe though in case I get a new M&G disc or I find a solution.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 1:41 PM
The "Fix My Wants Slots and Locks" slot replaces four Wants slots with six if the sim has finished University and glitched back to four, or is a married-in townie who logically ought to have been through University. Rerolling Wants sometimes fixes a blank want slot, but I've never had that glitch as bad as this.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 3:23 PM
Yes, I've had this glitch on one or two sims before and rerolling their wants fixes it but I think that the glitch I have at the moment is just too bad to find a quick fix for it.
Test Subject
#6 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 6:03 PM
I know this won't resolve anything, but I seem to have the same issue with one of my favorite sims, which made me more than a little frustrated when I couldn't find any way to fix it. However, the debug listed above does nothing, and rerolling the slots only result in the problem slots turning blue instead of black.
If anyone has a way to fix this, it would be great. Here's a list of things I have tried, which have not worked so far.
"boolprop testingcheatsenabled true" -> Shift click on sim -> Spawn... -> Sim Modder: Add want slot, add want lock.
Sim Modder: Adding locks before reset, rerolling wants, then adding the missing two.
ffsdebugger: Fix... --> My Wants and Locks+ Rerolling wants.
ffsdebugger: Memory... --> Wipe corrupt.
Both combined: Make UNSELECTABLE, Froce Error, have sim walk around, Make Selectable, and reroll.

Again, if anyone has a clue on how to fix this issue, please let me know. It will make my siming life a little less depressive to have this one fixed.

Edit: To the creator of this post; I don't have the M&G EP, so I don't know if that is related at all. Just thought I'd mention it.
Site Helper
#7 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 6:34 PM
This can be a symptom of neighborhood corruption.

You could try my Neighborhood Corruption Detector, if you are willing to backup your save game first. It will tell you whether there is a problem with your relationships or family ties which can be fixed:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=431238

I have another version in test which also checks memories and which attempts to fix such problems, but it's in a private testing forum, so that people will not download it without my consent. I would certainly be willing to add you both to the testing forum, if you can assure me that you will not share the private version and that you understand the risks of downloading something which is still being tested.
Test Subject
#8 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 8:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
This can be a symptom of neighborhood corruption.

You could try my Neighborhood Corruption Detector, if you are willing to backup your save game first. It will tell you whether there is a problem with your relationships or family ties which can be fixed:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=431238

I have another version in test which also checks memories and which attempts to fix such problems, but it's in a private testing forum, so that people will not download it without my consent. I would certainly be willing to add you both to the testing forum, if you can assure me that you will not share the private version and that you understand the risks of downloading something which is still being tested.

Actually, it seemed to fix itself after I let her daughter grow up. oO But if this problem appears to me again, I am very willing to help out. I don't want to risk losing all the things I've worked so hard to get, so backups are being taken regularly. Thanks for the offer, though.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 9:45 PM
*if any one read what was written in the previous post, i apologize, i didnt write it, my cousin did, sorry everyone.*

if you have insimenator, then you can use the aspiration adjustor to refresh the wants, some of my sims get blank want slots and when i refresh it becomes fixed.
Site Helper
#10 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 10:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Crowley
Actually, it seemed to fix itself after I let her daughter grow up. oO But if this problem appears to me again, I am very willing to help out. I don't want to risk losing all the things I've worked so hard to get, so backups are being taken regularly. Thanks for the offer, though.
I'm glad everything is working again.

My offer was really a last resort, for someone that can't get any of the other options to work.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 2:44 PM
I'm not sure what is causing the issue I'm having since it appeared with every sim I loaded in a new hood after a complete reinstall. I'm scared to install M&G stuff again because that is what seems to create a poblem in my game.

Thanks though everyone for the suggestions.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 26th Dec 2016 at 11:42 PM
Hey I realize I'm bringing this back years later, but I'm having the same issue. Did anyone find a solution?

The weird thing is that the grandma hsa all her wants and fears, the adult has all fears and 1 want, and the child has 1 want and no fears.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 27th Dec 2016 at 12:35 AM
The issue is either corruption, custom content or a small hiccup. If it's only one sim it's probably just a glitch.

Try the Bat Box, make a back up, run hood checker, that's all you can do really.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#14 Old 27th Dec 2016 at 4:06 AM
It turned out to be a lot problem. I moved the family and the issue resolved. Guess I just won't use that house.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 27th Dec 2016 at 5:34 AM
Maybe, might also be the move fixed them. If you moved them back to the same house and missing want slots appeared again then I would say it's the lot. If so you are best of bulldozing it unless it contains graves.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#16 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 1:00 AM
I've had this problem a lot in the past, and it's just recently started again on the current installation. Multiple Sims, multiple lots, multiple neighbourhoods.

It's obviously not a hiccup or single lot problem in my case, and I can categorically rule out custom content because I never had any until Jo and Justpetro convinced me to get the "essential mods" a couple of weeks ago (yes, Jo, I actually did get them, and a few antistupidparenting mods as well!).

Sooo...It's either a Freetime or AL glitch, since the problem started after I installed those two, or it's corruption of all neighbourhoods. I did place the Kat and Kim families in Strangetown, and the Ottomai are in a couple of neighbourhoods (though the twins do show Peter as their father and always have, so I thought they were safe). I can't think of anything else I've done this time around that I shouldn't have.

I ran the hood checker and have huge lists of "invalid relationship with self", "Sim does not exist has Wants and Fears", "incorrect subject instance" (it's giving me incorrect subject instances with the Tricous even when I don't have the pre-made downtown attached to that neighbourhood), and even "First Sim does not exist, has relationship with self". I have no idea what any of these mean or whether they would be in any way related to Sims who do exist not having Wants and Fears.

Should I just use the "remove" option in the hood checker and see what happens?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 1:53 AM
Are you fully patched?

You should also have the no met self memory mod. BO has a plain one or Pescado has it bundled with his drama Proff fix.

let Hood Checker remove and fix what it can.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#18 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 4:29 PM
I get it too

The game is forever loading, and then I have to Task Manager out, restart and reload and delete an object error.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Scholar
#19 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 12:35 AM Last edited by BlueAlien : 26th Jan 2017 at 5:05 AM.
Jo: I've tried to patch. It said Sims 2 was up to date, insisted I don't have Uni, O4B and Pets (I do, but they have stuff packs with them), updated Seasons, and then Windows pointblank refused to let me update FT and AL - said it was blocking the application because it was dangerous, with no option to overrule.

I've let Hood Checker remove the invalid items and added BO's no met self mod.

Some of my affected Sims seemed to have fixed themselves even before I did this, and I was wondering if the problem was related to an earlier problem I had with studying Fire Safety - Sims would study it, but get no memory of having done so; it seemed to be those Sims who had no wants, and their wants seemed to return to normal once they'd relearned Fire Safety (which they were suddenly able to do after I'd installed FT and AL). Then I got to a toddler who had either adult wants or no wants, and his LTW is to be a Mad Scientist! I can't change it with either boolprop or the Bat Box. His mother, whose LTW was to be a Mad Scientist, also has no wants, so I'm wondering if she was studying Fire Safety during pregnancy and it affected both of them. The step-father on the same lot is fine.

I guess my next step is to try my Neanderthal neighbourhood, where I know for sure that nobody has attempted to learn Fire Safety, and see if there are any problems there.

ETA: Neander Valley is fine, so it could be the Fire Safety thing that caused some corruption. I have several children and toddlers in Driftwood County who have LTWs and sometimes roll adult Wants or blank Wants. I'm wondering if I should delete the neighbourhood and go back to the last backup? But there'll still be Sims who tried to learn FS and never got the memory for it, so the actual problem (if this is what it is) will probably still be there.

If I do delete, can I just delete the neighbourhood from its loading screen, or do I delete the file in the documents/EAgames folder?
Forum Resident
#20 Old 12th Sep 2021 at 4:27 PM Last edited by Sokisims : 12th Sep 2021 at 6:54 PM.
I use to change the age of the sims with insimenator to create toddlers or children, (Turning an adult into a toddler sometimes causes that.) and what works best is a house move after having fixed their aspirations, memories and desires for life. I guess when moving them, something in the game makes them definitely that age, or reboots them.

Edit: growing them to child and then back to toddler also helps. (I guess with adults you can try growing them to teens and again to adults?)