Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#76 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 3:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tamlyn
If I could ask a (possibly!) silly question in regards to the windows... the rules say windows on no more than two walls out of four. I take it that means two directions rather than walls exactly? So if we have, say, seven walls because of a jutting out bit, windows could go on the jutting out bit which is technically three walls but are all north facing? If that makes any sense at all.

I haven't managed to do anything Sim-my for a while, but decorating rooms seems well within my time limits

I think by two sides they meant directions, too. As in, if you have windows anywhere on the north and west side, then you couldn't on the south and east. Even if the north and west sides weren't a straight line you could place windows anywhere in that direction.

I apologize if that was confusing.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Advertisement
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#77 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 5:12 AM
Yes, Blake has explain what I meant. Hopeful that helped clear it up, because I can't think of a better way to explain it than that
Mad Poster
#78 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 6:04 AM
It seems like you really just want people to use "architectural common sense," right? This room is part of a house, ergo some walls are interior, and some are exterior- not all one or the other. That's what I assumed with my shell, at any rate!
Field Researcher
#79 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 12:16 PM
Thank you. I figured that was the case but I wanted to check before I got window-happy
Scholar
#80 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 1:10 PM
Go right ahead on your window-happiness. The rules only state a two window minimum, so you could fill up half of the walls with windows, for an edgy modern look.

Field Researcher
#81 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 1:13 PM Last edited by TheFlyingRaccoon : 28th Apr 2014 at 2:55 PM.
Default Trading Spaces Round 1 - Shell submission

Style: Victorian
Colours & Object: see attached picture

As I'm playing my game in German, I'm not sure how the sofa is called in English. But it is standing on the lot, so everyone should be able to find it easily. I hope that's alright.
Edit: The sofa is called the 'Luxuriare Loveseat'. (Thank you @UnicornTheDinosaur for this piece of information. )

I'm playing with all EP's and SP's. It is possible that some of the wallpaper/floor samples that I put on the lot aren't from the base game, so they may not show up correctly, depending on who gets my lot. And I really hope that I got nothing else in the shell that is not from the base game (been a long, long time since I played with the base game only and sadly can't use AGS).
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  FR_Round1.zip (476.4 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 2:46 PM
I would like to partake in this! I shall be using the Sims 2, and I have all EP/SP's installed and ready to go. I'll build a shell and up it after school tomorrow though, it's gotten really late and first day of school (post hollidays) is upon us here in lava-land. But I have to say, with this new computer, I have no idea how the pictures are gonna turn out. Also, person above me, I'm about 100% sure that couch is base game so don't sweat it. Same for the windows.

You can call me jolly
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#83 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 3:26 PM
Yes, Z. I want the shells to make sense if they were part of a house. "Architectural common sense" was a great way to put it!
Instructor
#84 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 6:54 PM
Default Trading Spaces Round 1 - Living Room Shell for Modern House
I'd very much like to join this! It's my first ever contest here, so I hope everything will go alright. This is my living room:

The little room past the arch is a part of the living room, as it's still within the limits of the maximum squares. It's not an entrance hall.

Style: Modern
Colors: White (example color on wall is Way of White Paint), Black (example color is Simply Darkness) and Lime (example color is Atmos Lime Paint)
Item: "Trice As Nice" Floor Lamp by Lumpen Lumenat.
Game configuration: TS2 with all EPs and no stuff packs. So AL is my latest game.

The lot should be base-game compatible, as it's just the shell with windows and doors and the fireplace, which I did check was Basegame. But I don't have AGS, so the file is formatted from my having all the EPs. I didn't include the color sample walls on the lot, as I can't guarantee the paints I used were Basegame.

As a little added information about the house, for whoever gets this and is interested in it for decorating purposes: the house this living room will end up in will have a small entrance hall, a kitchen with dining nook, the living room and downstairs toilet. Upstairs is a bathroom and a double bedroom. The house is intended for a childless couple, maybe young professionals, or a couple who's children have left for college and are downscaling their house.

Edited to add: One small question, will we get our room back after it's decorated? (In other words, do I need to keep track of custom content I use in decorating so the room is still usuable for others?)
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Living Room Modern.rar (373.5 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 9:07 PM Last edited by imasimfan585 : 28th Apr 2014 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Realised I made a mistake
Trading Spaces Round 1 - Living room shell
---> Edited the shell to be BG only

Style: victorian/antique
Colours: white, black and dark purple/violet (see the attached picture)
Object: potted ficus plant

I have all EPs and SPs.
Good luck
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  MTS.imasimfan585.LivingRoomShell.rar (561.1 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#86 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 10:25 PM Last edited by justJones : 28th Apr 2014 at 11:01 PM.
imasimfan, that is a lovely entry, and I'm glad you figured out how to enter, however the windows and door are not BaseGame, they are M&G. The shell (including windows and doors) needs to be BG. The decorating part can be from and EP/SPs, but the shell is BG only.

samantha_kathy, it's not part of the contest for the decorated rooms to be uploaded. If contestants would like to give the decorated room back to the original builder, I'm ok with that, just upload it elsewhere, like mediafire etc, and PM the link But you don't need to worry about keeping track unless you plan to "give it back" to the original builder.
Mad Poster
#87 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 10:58 PM
Something that I've wondered before, and that seems like it would be helpful for this contest, is whether there are lists of ALL the elements that come with various EPs and SPs...not just the little descriptions of items only, that come with the games, but comprehensive lists of all the items, structural elements, floor coverings, wallpapers, terrain paints, and everything else that you might want to place on a lot.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists? If it doesn't, I wonder if that might not be a worthwhile project for the community to work on... a big addition to the Wiki, or something.
Scholar
#88 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by justJones
If contestants would like to give the decorated room back to the original builder, I'm ok with that, just upload it elsewhere, like mediafire etc, and PM the link But you don't need to worry about keeping track unless you plan to "give it back" to the original builder.

Ooh, giving the decorated shell back to the original creator sounds like a fun idea. I might try that.

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#89 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 11:02 PM
I have looked before Z, and found some but they seemed lacking. A really nice, well formatted, complete index by EP/SP would be nice.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#90 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 11:34 PM
There are bits about but I have never found anything comprehensive. I would find it very useful. There is a cheat you can use that shows you which EP/SP the objects are from, but it doesn't seem to work for the wall/floor coverings, boolProp ShowCatalogePFlags [true/false]

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Instructor
#91 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 1:35 AM
I think I'll decorate the room I get in such a way I can give it back. I kinda like the idea And oh, yes, a list of what came with what would be sooooo useful! Especially floors and wallpaper.
Mad Poster
#92 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 1:56 AM
If I can't remember where/which EP stuff came with - I usually look it up in SimPE. Likewise with floors/walls. (I think they are stored in the catpatterns folder?)
It takes a while, and you kinda gotta know where you are. A comprehensive list in the wiki would be a Godsend!

There are some really nice shells so far! YAY!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 2:28 AM Last edited by loser : 28th Apr 2014 at 11:33 AM.
Okie dokie, I'm bringing in my application now.

When I wrote my message last night I was half asleep and didn't realize half of what I was writing but now I've woken up a slight bit and I think I'm not allowed to reserve or something like that so I made a new post, just in case.
I tried to make this easy. I don't know if it is. Style-wise I don't really know what to tell you.. Follow your instincts. Just make it look slightly upper-middle-classy or rich-y or something like that.But do whatever you want with it. Make it into a Hogwarts common room or a decrepit old mansion or whatever, that's up to you. Anyway I think that's all the requirements.. Oh, the shell itself is 828 KB's. I put in 2 doors and 3 windows. I didn't leave the colored walls up but I did leave the chess table. Everything should be Base Game compatible.

Edit: Style - victorian, maybe modern victorian, All EPs and SPs installed and did not use AGS *gulp* please don't kill me, I've never used it before. It should work but if it doesn't I'll download AGS and rebuild it and re-upload it. Unless whoever is stuck with me just wants to build it themselves, it's not particularly hard, it's like 15 pieces of wall, three windows and two doors.... it's really easy to build.. in fact the more I think about it, the more I worry it's a horrible shell and not good enough..
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Living Room- loser's shell.rar (376.6 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Ta Daaa~!

You can call me jolly
Test Subject
#94 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 5:13 AM Last edited by UnicornTheDinosaur : 28th Apr 2014 at 9:42 PM.
So this looked pretty fun so I'm excited to join my first event c:.

Style: Semi-Modern; Beachy; Airy
Colors: I didn't include the screenshot walls because I was unsure the EP (I have all the EP and SP). The colors are a pale yellow, a pale blue and white. (The official paint is: Atmos Lemon Paint, Atmos Aqua Paint and "Beachy Keen" Paint)
Item: The lovely, amazing, Shockingly Pink Flamingo. (It'd better be inside ) I left one on the lot for you.

(Note: there isn't any trees on the lot, they're in my neighborhood behind it and looked pretty :p)

I don't use AGS, and I have all EPs and all SP but Glamour Life & Holiday
Attached files:
File Type: rar  MTS Room Entry.rar (198.3 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 6:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by justJones
imasimfan, that is a lovely entry, and I'm glad you figured out how to enter, however the windows and door are not BaseGame, they are M&G. The shell (including windows and doors) needs to be BG. The decorating part can be from and EP/SPs, but the she;; is BG only.

Oops, thank you! I'll reupload with BG windows.
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#96 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 6:54 AM
For those of you with TS2, who haven't shared lots before, a little background information:
When sharing a lot, what matters for compatibility is not the items that are placed on a lot, but the highest//latest EP you have installed. The AGS can set up a configuration with the BG only, and these, together with people who have just the BG installed, are the only lots that are BG compatible. We've seen that in a previous contest, where a lot with just a stream of water, no objects or anything, made someone's game crash because they didnt have Apartment Life. This is why it is important to state all the EPs and SPs, a lot with just BG objects is NOT BG compatible.

@loser: could you please tell us what EPs and SPs you have installed, or confirm that you have built your shell in AGS. Also, although Jones would have to confirm this, please define the style more clearly, like the others have done, since people will be judged on how well the style has been executed. Thank you.
Test Subject
#97 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 6:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheFlyingRaccoon

Style: Victorian
Colours & Object: see attached picture

As I'm playing my game in German, I'm not sure how the sofa is called in English. But it is standing on the lot, so everyone should be able to find it easily. I hope that's alright.

I'm playing with all EP's and SP's. It is possible that some of the wallpaper/floor samples that I put on the lot aren't from the base game, so they may not show up correctly, depending on who gets my lot. And I really hope that I got nothing else in the shell that is not from the base game (been a long, long time since I played with the base game only and sadly can't use AGS).

That sofa, by the way, in English is the 'Luxuriare Loveseat'. c:
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#98 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 7:28 AM
ok, I am not joining the contest - but I can install TS3 (and not patch it?) and set up a basegame TS2 AGS. This means that if Jones (or any contestants) needs some help getting a base only shell made up then I am willing to do rebuilds for easy sharing.

@justJones - let me know if this will be helpful.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Alchemist
#99 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 9:02 AM
First time lot builders also may not even know what AGS is, just incase someone dosnt know about it you can get it here

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#100 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 9:11 AM
There is an AGS for Sims 3 as well. http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=406814 No idea if that still works with the patches and things.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~

Page 4 of 37