Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Dec 2013 at 12:59 PM
Default Back to The Sims 2!
Hello everyone!

I just recently started to play The sims 2 again. Is there any specific mods etc. I should download to get the best gameplay experience? It's been such a long time since I last played and can't remember half of the stuff I used to. Of course I've been reading the help section, but I would like YOUR opinion! What mods/cc makes your game the most awesome there is?
I've already downloaded some cc, like skins, eyes, makeup, beddings and stuff. Most of them are cc I used to have in my game yeaaars ago.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 1st Dec 2013 at 1:08 PM
1, 2.

You don't need to download all of them, but pick and choose. You should download the FFS Lot Debugger, alfixes, creaturefixes, and nounlinkondelete at a bare minimum.

There's already a thread for this too..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 1st Dec 2013 at 10:09 PM
Once you have patched, installed the critical mods and made sure you know not to do things that will blow up your game then you can get together mods and cc that fit your game style. We don't know what your 'best game play experience' is unless you explain what you want.

Here is my opinion on what makes great game play. I play an integrated hood where I try and have playable sims fill each role that the town needs. To do this I have searched out mods and cc for each building that I felt a town should have. So I have a hospital, a bank, post office, orphanage, fire station, police station, grocery store, restaurant etc. These are all either home or community lot businesses which I have found cc and mods to make work as realistically as I can.

One example would be the Johnsons's who run and live at the health clinic/small hospital. The mother there is the towns Dr and it's a home business. Sims can buy gifts like flowers which is easy to do using an automatic cash register from simlogical. The cafeteria uses a moded shiny time cook top so the uni cafeteria worker shows up and cooks. Again this is easy to do as It's all automatic with a simlogical payment door which I set to $20 so that meal is paid for as sims leave. Those two things plus a cheap ticket ensure some cash flow. Off in one room her son is practicing also to be a Dr and he mans the dental chair. That gives an $800 dental work sitting. (I should look into opening that insimpe and seeing if I can make it cheaper) While playing other sims houses in the town I roll a die to see if they will need any medical treatment. If they do I summon them when playing the hospital using Christianlov's mirror. This moves them in temporarily while they receive treatment. I made up a list of things sims could have wrong with them and how long they have to stay for. I have private rooms they can be locked in, a nice electric shock chair (unlocked career reward) The sim manipulator allows me to make the sim actually ill, although other psychiatric patients might just be set to be in the red aspiration wise, put into a cow suit and be left to wander around.

Yesterday I finished off the cemetery and decided Jason Larson(sp?) from the simbin could be the undertaker. I thought Dora Ottomas who is very old would be needing a plot but I had a sim who was borked and the hood checker couldn't fix him, so I decided it would be easiest to kill him off. Poor guy is actually the Dr's husband and not old, but he was a townie so I wasn't too attached. He was the first lightening strike victim. I plan to eventually have every colour of ghost haunting the cemetery. Today I plan to load up the cemetery business and see if he will come out and scare some sims after it get's dark. I find this way of playing to be interesting and amusing. The mod list I use for all of this is as long as your arm.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#4 Old 1st Dec 2013 at 11:31 PM
I can't think of any mods, but sites like MATY, Simbology, and Simlogical are a must to visit. Also, utilities like the HoodChecker, Download Organizer, and SimPE are helpful. SimPE may not be extremely needed for the commonfolk, but if you're interested in content creating, get it.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 2nd Dec 2013 at 12:01 AM
You might find that behaviors you want modified (and therefore becoming mods you seek out) will make themselves largely known to you as you actually play the game. Everyone's playstyle is different in some way or another. I, for example, can NOT live without my "larger meals" hack that bumps the default number of plates from six up to eight. I have other various hacks I adore to bits. Counterfeit Diploma and Desk Locator being only two more of them. I'm in the process of seeking out other hacks (hacks that prolong the amount of time neighboring children can visit my sims' residencies before it becoming "too late", hacks that allow for two jobs rather than one job + selling random items, etc.) The same is true for actual CC.

Go to MATY though, and get "Nolinkondelete," "nocorruptdeath" and "antiredundancy" (among the other /Essential/ hacks) as they can help fight neighborhood corruption. I agree about the HoodChecker, I just got it and it's already been a life saver.

Take the Hard Hat Challenge. A relatively quick challenge designed to be added into almost any established hood.

Hollow Tune - Brick 'N' Mortar.

{San-Yip-See-Ah}
Site Helper
#6 Old 2nd Dec 2013 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sanypsia
You might find that behaviors you want modified (and therefore becoming mods you seek out) will make themselves largely known to you as you actually play the game. Everyone's playstyle is different in some way or another.
I really agree with that. Get the fixes, learn about corruption, but otherwise try playing unmodded for a while. You'll figure out how you enjoy playing as you go, then you can look for specific mods that make the gameplay better for you.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 2nd Dec 2013 at 3:45 AM
Play for a while, you'll notice small things you want changed. For instance, I was playing UNI a few months back and was absolutely dreading it. I logged on MTS and found out there are mods to shorten a Sim's time at UNI, and things like that. So, play it, and keep track of all the things you'd change if you could...and then search for corresponding mods.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 5th Dec 2013 at 1:30 AM
I agree too because having way too many mods and hacks can ruin your game and at one point make it corrupted then you'll have to reinstall the game and start over, it happened to me 3 times already so I should know.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 5th Dec 2013 at 1:55 AM
You only need to reinstall if you have somehow borked your installation files and most mods don't touch those.Most borkage is simply in downloads which is often because two or more mods are conflicting and that is easily solved by finding and removing the offending mod/mods. If it somehow corrupted your hood you can revert from a recent backup or even delete the hood if it was a test hood. Most times a reinstall is not the answer. Make sure your installation files are set to read only. Be careful with mods that add NPC's as they can not be easily removed.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#10 Old 5th Dec 2013 at 2:33 AM
Hey joandsarah77, go check out my new post in the Creator Feedback Forum