Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#51 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 4:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leefish
queue bypass

Oh, that, too .. didn’t see that when I wrote my little novel above =P

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#52 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leefish
The uploader has queue bypass privileges; looking at the upload the "checked by mod" box is not ticked, so it hasn't been approved by anyone yet.

I was already wondering what "Has bypass" means when viewing my scorecard, but now I know.
Still 4 to go, before I can use that. Don't know if I want to do that...then I don't know if it's perfect!?! :P

Curious at all the mods I made or want to learn how to make mods yourself? Take a look at my BakieGaming YouTube Channel
For the people who would like to support me some more, take a look at my: BakieGaming Patreon page
For a quick mod overview, take a look at my Profile page
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#53 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 9:49 PM
You can opt out of bypassing! You'll get that option for each upload on or after the last upload wizard screen once you're on bypass.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Top Secret Researcher
#54 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 2:45 PM
On the subject again, I stumbled across this wallpaper from One Billion Pixels: seamless-graffiti-grunge-walls
But the graffiti isn't really seamless right? I think I see small yellow lines between the graffiti...

If it was seamless, I think we want to know how he did it...but they aren't... :p

Curious at all the mods I made or want to learn how to make mods yourself? Take a look at my BakieGaming YouTube Channel
For the people who would like to support me some more, take a look at my: BakieGaming Patreon page
Scholar
#55 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 4:20 PM
I see lines in the walls.

CC4Sims
Love will humiliate you and hate will cradle you.
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#56 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 4:57 PM
Yeah the only way I found so far to make them seamless is override an EA wall (i.e. change only the diffuse, nothing else). But I'm still stumped as to what the difference is =(.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#57 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 11:44 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 27th Oct 2014 at 2:03 AM.
So how did you manage to get rid of the seams on floors now? Would that work for walls as well?

Ah, I see it -- the offending bits are copied to the opposite edge. Solves the visual artifact, but is not a solution for stuff like murals and such.

Instructor
#58 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 9:08 AM
I've been making a butt ton of wallpapers and I haven't had any seams so far. They've all been seamless solids, patterns, and tiles though. Not mural type walls. I tried out a mural wall real quick with an image I just grabbed online. It looks pretty good and thought there wasn't anything wrong at first but if I zoom in there is a very small seam that you can see.

It was slightly more noticeable on the larger sized walls.

For the most part it's unnoticeable though. I use S4Studio. I always make sure to choose one of the solid basic walls that is just flat with no crown moulding or baseboards. The first recolor I did I also resized the crown moulding and baseboards and in S4S I used one of the maxis walls that had crown moulding and baseboards and when I put it in the game it looked all jacked up. Like there was still a crown moulding texture where it used to be. Once I switched to the plain flat one though it was fine.

ETA: Here's an example. On the left side I used a maxis baseboard/crown moulding wall as my recolor in S4S. On the right side is the exact same DDS file but with a plain flat wall as my recolor option in S4S.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#59 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 12:14 PM
Well yeah with that mural you won't have much of a problem, since it's pretty much horizontal stripes. But anything asymmetrical, corner pieces, flying turtles etc .. won't work before the seam issue doesn't have a solution.

Scholar
#60 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 12:21 PM
Hello there!
Not owning Sims4 (stopped at 2) but still interested in seams and textures issues..
As said before, seams on mural can't be solved, due to the fact that part of the right side of the wall is reproduced on the left corner of the same wall it was already the case in Sims 2.
As possible workaround would be to create a mesh the size of the mural and make a wall overlay.

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
Top Secret Researcher
#61 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 1:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Well yeah with that mural you won't have much of a problem, since it's pretty much horizontal stripes. But anything asymmetrical, corner pieces, flying turtles etc .. won't work before the seam issue doesn't have a solution.

Haha, flying (Blue can be water too you know, or did you mean flying through the sea? )

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#62 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 1:23 PM
Maxis have some sort of solution though, for their corners. See: siding. That is why it bugs me so much .. why can they have seamlessness and we can't?

Lab Assistant
#63 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 2:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pixelhate
As said before, seams on mural can't be solved, due to the fact that part of the right side of the wall is reproduced on the left corner of the same wall it was already the case in Sims 2.

I created a few mural-type walls in Sims 2, and for me it seems as if the problem was fixed in an EP. A mural (consisting of two or more walls) in my basegame installation has a seam, but the same walls in my installation with all EPs don´t.

Nevertheless, I made some attempts in Sims 4, and it seems that the texture sizes of 256x768, 256x1024 and 256x1280 aren´t obligatory. I created textures with the sizes 1024x768, 1024x1024 and 1024x1280 that show the whole mural for four wall parts, and changed the Data0 entry of the DiffuseUVScale field in each MATD to 0,25.
Result in game was a single wall that spreads over four tiles, and there were no seams, as far as I could see.
Disadvantage ist that you can not decide where the mural should start, it depends on the wall.
And I am not sure if there might be other issues.

Fairy Forest - Downloads for the Sims
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#64 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by julsfels
A mural (consisting of two or more walls) in my basegame installation has a seam, but the same walls in my installation with all EPs don´t.

Do you mean specifically custom murals with that, or EAxian ones too? (Asking because I had seam issues on and off in TS3 varying with patch level, but I don't remember whether that was custom walls only or Maxis too .. not sure whether TS3 is a good comparison base though, seeing as a lot of Maxis walls in that were all kinds of fucked up =P)

I created textures with the sizes 1024x768, 1024x1024 and 1024x1280 that show the whole mural for four wall parts, and changed the Data0 entry of the DiffuseUVScale field in each MATD to 0,25. Result in game was a single wall that spreads over four tiles, and there were no seams, as far as I could see.

Ah that is a good tip, thanks! I believe this is how the maxis plaster wall works? (You know, that white one, kind of like peeling painted brick)

Maybe the trick is changing the UV scale, even on a wall with a smaller texture? Or would that stretch the texture? There's also fields for .. UV handle or somesuch I believe (don't recall the exact name now).

Test Subject
#65 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 4:00 AM
I created a few mural-type walls in Sims 2, and for me it seems as if the problem was fixed in an EP. A mural (consisting of two or more walls) in my basegame installation has a seam, but the same walls in my installation with all EPs don´t.

Nevertheless, I made some attempts in Sims 4, and it seems that the texture sizes of 256x768, 256x1024 and 256x1280 aren´t obligatory. I created textures with the sizes 1024x768, 1024x1024 and 1024x1280 that show the whole mural for four wall parts, and changed the Data0 entry of the DiffuseUVScale field in each MATD to 0,25.
Result in game was a single wall that spreads over four tiles, and there were no seams, as far as I could see.
Disadvantage ist that you can not decide where the mural should start, it depends on the wall.
And I am not sure if there might be other issues.
IAre you talking about EA's wide walls?
It sounds like it.

Simension wrote about those at Sims 4 Studio here awhile ago.

I tried working with clones of these wide walls and they're seamless alright but they just start their run wherever they want.

Also they change their order depending on wall height which makes them look great at one height and terrible at another.
Field Researcher
#66 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 3:55 PM
Sims 4 Studio helped, thanks for posting.
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 29th Oct 2014 at 10:36 AM
Do you mean specifically custom murals with that, or EAxian ones too?

Puh... it´s so long ago. I´m not sure if it appears on EAxian walls, too; maybe I can take a look at the S2 basegame later. But I´m not sure if there are any EAxians murals in the basegame.

Ah that is a good tip, thanks! I believe this is how the maxis plaster wall works? (You know, that white one, kind of like peeling painted brick)

I actually don´t know, but maybe it´s worth a look in the game files to figure out if there are any textures larger than the default size.

Maybe the trick is changing the UV scale, even on a wall with a smaller texture? Or would that stretch the texture? There's also fields for .. UV handle or somesuch I believe (don't recall the exact name now).

Yes, it´s the DiffuseUVScale field, there are two parts for the two axes. Any value different from 1 would stretch or compress your texture. Value 1 means your texture is used for one tile. Value 2 shows your texture two times on one tile, value ,.5 stretches the texture over two tiles (and so on).
You can have a look at the floors, e.g. some of the wood floors have entries of 0,5 for both fields, so the texture is used for four floor tiles (2 tiles wide and 2 tiles deep).

Quote: Originally posted by 3Sierra3
Are you talking about EA's wide walls?

No, I made some new custom walls to give it a try.

I tried working with clones of these wide walls and they're seamless alright but they just start their run wherever they want.

Yes, that is what I mentioned above - you can not choose the starting point of the mural.

Also they change their order depending on wall height which makes them look great at one height and terrible at another.

This did not happen with my test mural, it worked perfectly for all three heights.

Test Subject
#68 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 12:39 AM
The maxis plaster wall is one of the wide walls I was talking about. Simension has some good pictures showing how those work at Sims 4 Studio forum. My mural made on one of those looks very nice at all heights too but once it is placed if you change the wall height it needs to be placed over again because the order of the panels changes.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#69 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 1:23 AM
Seems like the UVScale thing would be the correct thing to fiddle with:

Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruModSquad
Hey guys. The reason for the seam is because the sampler for the base texture will wrap rather than clamp at the boundary. This means you’ll get a small amount of the other edge of the texture, which will create seams if the texture’s sides aren’t tileable.

A way to avoid this is to use a material setting in the MTRL block to scale the UVs such that a single texture can be spread across multiple wall or floor tiles. The parameter name is DiffuseUVScale (which is referenced in the MRTL block via the hash of its name: 0x2d4e507e). Setting this to 0.5 will make it a 2-tile interval, 2.0 will make it a half-tile interval, etc. For an example of a resource that does this, see 01d0e75d:00000000:98cf7bf37a1cc76c – this wall pattern is called “Urbanity” in the catalog. There is a limitation on this though, the alignment of the wall texture is based on its lot position, i.e. if a texture spans multiple tiles, which part of the texture that is used for a particular tile is based on that tile’s lot position.

Hope that helps.

Source

Top Secret Researcher
#70 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 2:48 PM
So if we use "Urbanity" in The Sims 4 Studio, we can make seamless wallcovering? Or is it not that simple?
I don't know a thing about UVScaling. Or can someone explain how to change the DiffuseUVScale?

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#71 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 4:42 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 31st Oct 2014 at 5:20 PM.
"Urbanity" might work well as a base when you have actual murals, yes (i.e. walls that are 4 units wide, like that one). .. or maybe not. see below.

Or you simply change that value in your existing package in s4pe and replace your texture/s (open package in s4pe, then edit the value in "Grid"; click on your IMGs and select "Replace").

Lab Assistant
#72 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 5:00 PM
My mural made on one of those looks very nice at all heights too but once it is placed if you change the wall height it needs to be placed over again because the order of the panels changes.

Yes, I understood this. All I said is that this doesn´t happen with the custom mural covering four tiles I created from scratch. The panels don´t change when I change the height of the walls.

Quote: Originally posted by Bakie
Or can someone explain how to change the DiffuseUVScale?

I explained it a few postings above, it´s quite simple. Just open the MATD with the Grid Button and loók for the field DiffuseUVScale. Data0 is for width (the one you need for walls), Data1 ist for depth/height, you can use it floors.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#73 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 5:19 PM
All I said is that this doesn´t happen with the custom mural covering four tiles I created from scratch.

Right, I hadn't thought of that (in my answer above) -- so that means it would actually not be such a great idea to use the Maxis one as a base. Thanks for pointing that out again! =)

Top Secret Researcher
#74 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 5:20 PM Last edited by Bakie : 5th Nov 2014 at 12:36 PM.
Or you simply change that value in your existing package in s4pe and replace your texture/s (open package in s4pe, then edit the value in "Grid"; click on your IMGs and select "Replace").

I was just trying to change the Data0 entry of the DiffuseUVScale field in each MATD to 0,5. For a 2-tile wallpaper, but I don't understand how to change it.
I opened s4pe, clicked on the first MATD then clicked on the grid button and got this window:

But now I don't know how to change the diffuse scale on the right.. Am I doing something wrong?
Screenshots

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#75 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 5:30 PM
Click "Expand all" in that window.

Page 3 of 5