Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#276 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 7:43 PM Last edited by Lucia940 : 14th Oct 2012 at 8:00 PM.
@xXxDayDreamerxXx
@xXxDayDreamerxXx: Which family is this for? You didn't list that on your round one entry. I was just wondering. I am assuming it's the Mason family, but of course I could be wrong. If it is the Mason family, they have a 50,000 budget, so you can add more and do more. :D
Advertisement
Instructor
#277 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 9:26 PM
I need to hunt up a tutorial on making neat looking swimming pools like yours HL! I've tried making my own, but it all ends up weird. I'm having a blast with this challenge, and I definitely will stick around for the others. I'm very curious if you do a contest with Strangetown because there's very little there, and the ones that are there are kind of awkward. Veronaville will also be a huge challenge as I've never been in any of those houses. I opened it once, but it lagged a lot so I took out of there before my game could get mad at me.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#278 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 9:49 PM
HugeLunatic, thank you! I saw those in my travels and didn't realize the set wasn't just in red.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#279 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 9:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lucia940
@xXxDayDreamerxXx: Which family is this for? You didn't list that on your round one entry. I was just wondering. I am assuming it's the Mason family, but of course I could be wrong. If it is the Mason family, they have a 50,000 budget, so you can add more and do more. :D

I just put that in there. .
Lab Assistant
#280 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 10:32 PM
I have over 11,000 left, so I think I am going to add something and tweak it a bit. My strong suit is creating sims, but I really love this too!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#281 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 10:35 PM
I don't know how you both have so much money left over, I went to 45 thousand so easily and had to rein it all back in with cheaper cc.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#282 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I don't know how you both have so much money left over, I went to 45 thousand so easily and had to rein it all back in with cheaper cc.

It may be the price of CC. Some of my CC costs nothing and some costs an arm and a leg. I still have a bit over $11,000 to use, but it is a small space so I may leave it as is. I'm not sure yet. Each creator chooses how much the CC will cost in game. I know you know that, but I really think it's a matter of CC cost.
Test Subject
#283 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 11:30 PM
Lucia, I agree. A lot of my CC is like 100 simoleons when it should be closer to the 300-500 range haha. That being said, I had a very hard time keeping within budget. When I first decorated the house, I was over by 20,000.

Everyone's entries look really good! It's interesting to see how differently we all chose to use the space.
Test Subject
#284 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 11:33 PM
I saw this too late to enter, but I have been doing a follow along at home and since I don't have to abide by any rules, I've moved the stairs! and... so far, am hitting the 23 thousand range, and I haven't done the upstairs or the outside. This has been fun! Thanks for this.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
- J. Krishnamurti
Lab Assistant
#285 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by trin250
Lucia, I agree. A lot of my CC is like 100 simoleons when it should be closer to the 300-500 range haha. That being said, I had a very hard time keeping within budget. When I first decorated the house, I was over by 20,000.

Everyone's entries look really good! It's interesting to see how differently we all chose to use the space.

Absolutely!! When I did the application round, I was over by 40,000 and had to back up the pony. lol I search all the time for CC that is cheap in game. My daughter-in-law also makes a lot of my cc. So, it's really the cc and what it costs to use in game. I found that sometimes it's cheaper to use Maxis stuff then my own cc if it's up in price in game. My cc runs anywhere from 0 to thousands. I choose what is cheapest and is in the theme I want for the home.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#286 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 11:38 PM
Glad you are still enjoying playing along, Sim of Something! Keep an eye out, I plan on doing 2 more cycles of this contest, one for Strangetown and one for Veronaville Maybe you can get into one of those. They probably wont be till the beginning of next year though, after the holidays
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#287 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 11:53 PM
I placed a nice wooden filing cabinet in his office and realized it cost $5000! So I had to replace it with those game Ikea little box draw things. Not even sure what they are...
Then I saved some by using very cheap cc in the bathroom, but I still hadn't finished decorating, just the lack of money made me stop.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#288 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 12:14 AM
I placed a nice wooden filing cabinet in his office and realized it cost $5000! So I had to replace it with those game Ikea little box draw things. Not even sure what they are...
Then I saved some by using very cheap cc in the bathroom, but I still hadn't finished decorating, just the lack of money made me stop.

I separate my cc by price and function. I sometimes am so excited when doing a home I forget to look at the price and the budget is hard in this contest even with low cost or free CC. As I said earlier, I was $40,000 over budget in the application round. I hated having to tear it up and place in cheaper items because it killed my vision for my home. Most of my sims are rich and I don't have to look at the price, but for the ones who arn't, I have to be careful. This is my first contest ever on MTS and for the sims. I may run into more money issues down the line and wish I could roll this amount left over to the new round, but it will be as it will be and I will probably go right off the sims 2 cliff with my ideas and decorating costs.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#289 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 4:38 AM
With my application round I solved the problem of going over budget by using cheap cc or cheap maxis items recoloured through most of the house. I didn't even look at the back of the catalogue as it gets more expensive as it goes along. So I simply chose the first child's cc bed and tried not to look at what I would have liked to have placed. This time I was going more to a vision-and that's when it runs over. Of course $5000 for a wooden filing cabinet is somewhat ridiculous but it's the only one I have. Anyone else know some other cc filing cabinets?

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#290 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 6:49 AM
With my application round I solved the problem of going over budget by using cheap cc or cheap maxis items recoloured through most of the house. I didn't even look at the back of the catalogue as it gets more expensive as it goes along. So I simply chose the first child's cc bed and tried not to look at what I would have liked to have placed. This time I was going more to a vision-and that's when it runs over. Of course $5000 for a wooden filing cabinet is somewhat ridiculous but it's the only one I have. Anyone else know some other cc filing cabinets?

You can find some here http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=303300
and there are recolors for the set here: http://www.modthesims.info/download...13&goto=newpost

On the second post go down to download and it takes you to the recolors.

You may not like the set but this is what I found for you quickly. I made my first cosmetics tonight and am working on them and clothes. I can use PSP7 and super blade pro to recolor and I have read many tutorials so I hope my modding is going to be good. If you need any other help, just post and I will help you search.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#291 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 6:55 AM
I personally can't stand CC that's priced incorrectly. Anything that only cost $100 when a comparable Maxis item is in the $800s or more either is getting deleted, or if I like it enough, I reprice it myself. I feel like that's just as bad as a game mod that lets you cheat. :\

Arg, it's killing me that I can't just fire up my game and whip out my house. I know exactly what I want to do, but I'm not leaving here for another day or two at least. And all these links to beautiful CC that I didn't know about? And I can't even download it cuz I'm on the wrong computer. Talk about torture.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#292 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 7:13 AM
Thanks Lucia that cabinet would have been good. I grabbed the files.

Quote:
I personally can't stand CC that's priced incorrectly.

I agree, except in a contest with a budget like this cheap items come in very handy.
My main gripe with cheap items are the ones that somehow go up in price if sold later. I have a change table that only costs $10 yet sells some days later at $160. The game had that with the dream catchers so I always avoided them for that reason. Too easy a way to make cash.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#293 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 7:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
I personally can't stand CC that's priced incorrectly. Anything that only cost $100 when a comparable Maxis item is in the $800s or more either is getting deleted, or if I like it enough, I reprice it myself. I feel like that's just as bad as a game mod that lets you cheat. :\

Arg, it's killing me that I can't just fire up my game and whip out my house. I know exactly what I want to do, but I'm not leaving here for another day or two at least. And all these links to beautiful CC that I didn't know about? And I can't even download it cuz I'm on the wrong computer. Talk about torture.

I am just a beginner with TS2. I have learned little by little. I have not learned SimPE yet like others have. I am just beginning to make clothes and cosmetics. I have been playing the game almost a year. So much I don't know. I am sorry you are not here to download the CC, but the links will be up when you get back. I hope that Jo finds the filing cabinet set and recolors I found here on MTS. I'm good at searching and finding, but to be honest, I didn't know what CC was until my daughter-in-law began modding. Have a safe trip back.

@joandsarah77, I am so glad you got it! DId you follow the link the the lovely recolors?? There were a few other nice things there too. Glad you found it!!!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#294 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 7:17 AM
Lucia you are already doing better than I am at cc making, I've only ever recoloured clothes for my own game and I’ve been playing Sims 2 since it first came out and Sims 1 before that. I'm just a lot builder.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#295 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 7:20 AM
Lucia you are already doing better than I am at cc making, I've only ever recoloured clothes for my own game and I’ve been playing Sims 2 since it first came out and Sims 1 before that. I'm just a lot builder.

See, I am good at sims and such but building a lot??? Not my cup of tea. I still make square houses for crying out loud. lol I guess we all have our gifts. I can't put a roof on right to save my life. So, I am reading tuts and hoping for the best.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#296 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 7:25 AM
Hee, well there you go; I am lousy at making sims! I roll a face template in CAS and tweak it a bit- voila a sim!

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#297 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 7:30 AM
Hee, well there you go; I am lousy at making sims! I roll a face template in CAS and tweak it a bit- voila a sim!

When I first started playing, making sims was all I wanted to do. I was obsessed with it. I even learned how to make them Elvin without them being butt ugly. lol So, I have been doing it from my beginning in TS2 and not much more until tonight. I love all of the homes all of you build and don't think I haven't looked. Like I said, mine are square, classy but really square. lol
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#298 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 2:30 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 15th Oct 2012 at 5:30 PM.
Default Application Feedback!
Finally! We all have your feedback for you! We judges are not numbered in the order we're listed in the main post, but we will be the same number throughout the contest.

Lipe2k

HugeLunatic

joandsarah77

GlorianaGlowbee

esmeiolanthe

Lucia940

Liv

Hencing

sharill63

Phaenoh

MAB-2000

RowenaLupin

kayls43

hogwartsjedi

trin250

Shaundak21

lauratje86

karen lorrain

godspeed

xXxDayDreamerxXx

General comments

Although it won't affect scores as photo taking isn't something that is included in the judging criteria, for those of you who didn't use cameraman mode (tab key) for the application, it would be advised to play around with it for the rounds. It is fiddly when you first start using it, but you can really show your work off well once you've got the hang of it. And you'll also have had the practice and be prepared for any future contests you may want to join, where it might be a requirement
Secondly, it is very off-putting to see through several rooms and miss whatever may have been on the wall of the room you were taking a pic of - so walls should be UP for it could indirectly affect your scores if it means we miss something interesting! The only time you can get away with it is if the only walls in your pic are external walls, in which case they will still be up with the middle option (can't remember what it's called) - can be useful to take from such an angle in a room too small to view otherwise.
Lab Assistant
#299 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 6:39 PM
Just wondering why my application round house was judged???
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#300 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lucia940
Just wondering why my application round house was judged???

It wasn't judged. No score, we just gave everyone feedback. That way it gives everyone a a better feel for what the judges are looking for

Page 12 of 45