Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

HomeworkSometimesFasterFun

by Jenflower Posted 15th Dec 2004 at 10:57 PM - Updated 19th Mar 2009 at 7:11 AM by Jenflower : Apartment Life version uploaded again after server crash

243 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 237 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 10
Test Subject
#51 Old 17th Dec 2004 at 12:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mighty__Gazelle
This is certainly a great mod. Well done. Anything that makes an existing element of the game more comprehensive is great!

I was wondering, a thought I had and as you said you liked other peoples ideas I'd present mine. Well, ok. How about if homework doesn't have to be done for the next day ALL the time. You know, as far as I can remember (and in uk so could be diff. in rest of world) from school, homework was usually given 2-3 days to be completed, occasionally homework would be given for the following day (usually maths :D).

I understand this couldn't be linked to the receiving of the next homework (ie. have to do homework for when the next one will be recieved) as that is achieved randomly, a bit like real life .

Just a thought.

PS. I like turtles too. Prefer vikings though! :vikingb: :D

Hey, Gazelle, homeowors currently don't have to be done for the next day.
actually it works a bit different. it is like this: you can always leave one homework in the house and go to school, and your grade won't decrease.

if there are no homework in the house, when the sims goes to school, his grades will raise. if there is only one homework in the house when the sims goes to shcool, his grades will remain the same, and if theres two or more homeworks, his grades will go down.

So you can always leave one homework to do the next day.
Test Subject
#52 Old 17th Dec 2004 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Raptor0007
When you say they might have been 'taught to study' how does this occur. Is this when an adult helps them?

yep. you can look in the kid's memorys and look for a memory of books. click on it and it will say that he/she learnt to study with someone.
Test Subject
#53 Old 17th Dec 2004 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lino21
if there are no homework in the house, when the sims goes to school, his grades will raise. if there is only one homework in the house when the sims goes to shcool, his grades will remain the same, and if theres two or more homeworks, his grades will go down.

So you can always leave one homework to do the next day.

Ok, thanks for that info. I seem a bit dim now. Playing all this time and that never twiged. :banghead: I suppose it's always better for homework to be done as soon as possible though
Test Subject
Original Poster
#54 Old 17th Dec 2004 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jinyc
OMG has Mother Nature tired of creative woo hoo? I am so thrilled about this new work of yours and am puttng it in my game immediately.

You have done amazing work. We are all so proud to know you even in electronic script!

Joey

Jinyc! Thanks for stopping by! :jig:
I see you have been up to your ears in the PregTeenWoohoo Testing thread. Seeing that you are one of the best beta testers around, let me know if you notice anything odd and unusual happening when you try out the homework hack.
Forum Resident
#55 Old 17th Dec 2004 at 8:55 PM
I only had time to test in one house. It is a dream come true. The kids enjoy their homework and one had me notified that she didn't have any so I didn't have to search for where she might have hidden it LOL.

I will test some more in other houses.
Forum Resident
#56 Old 18th Dec 2004 at 3:57 AM
More testing and I have bad news. There is nothing wrong with your homework hack. I guess you will just have to resign yourself to making a new project for yourself. LOL
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 18th Dec 2004 at 1:47 PM
No homework.
I remeber having read, that kids sometimes don't get homework (unhacked game) anyway. Can someone confirm this?

I would suggest that the ratio of possible no-homework in the hack should be kept fairly low. Otherwise I'm thrilled by your indept thoughts on a students life, Jenflower. Love it, thanks!
Forum Resident
#58 Old 18th Dec 2004 at 9:13 PM
Yes sometimes kids don't get homework and I am so mistrusting of the little brats that I usually go on a homework hunt to see if they are slacking. They don't always place the homework near the PC. Jen's hack is great because it tells you that the character has no homework. I did have a few instances where ithe hack didn't and I went on a witch hunt but the kids were on the up an up!
Test Subject
#59 Old 18th Dec 2004 at 9:40 PM
This is a great hack, I always thought it should have been this way in the game from the get-go! Thank you so much! I have very few hacks in my game, but this one seems to straighten out the homework thing, so I couldn't resist.
Test Subject
#60 Old 18th Dec 2004 at 10:01 PM
Jenflower - you are amasing!! I love this hack (and I haven't even put it in the game yet).
Thankyou.
Instructor
#61 Old 18th Dec 2004 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
I don't think that Sim-homework is really cerebral in nature. Notice how Sims don't complete the homeworks of younger siblings any faster, even though that stuff should be trivial. Maybe this can be included also?

I totally agree. It makes the sims seem so stupid, more so than they already are. That'd be a great addition.
Test Subject
#62 Old 19th Dec 2004 at 6:22 AM
should I keep it like this or should I change it so that the increase only occurs for an A+ student?
Please, leave it for all students. Those who's grades are a bit lower need it even more.
Shez
Field Researcher
#63 Old 20th Dec 2004 at 4:32 PM
sounds excellen! Looking forward to trying this one out. It sounds how maxis should have made it in the 1st place!!
#64 Old 20th Dec 2004 at 7:16 PM
This hack is working well for me... haven't noticed any problems with three families.
Scholar
#65 Old 20th Dec 2004 at 8:43 PM
have been playing this for a few days now.
it has caused no problems in the game.
thanks so much for this hack, jenflower.
i have one teen who enjoys his homework and his fun levels rise too. i might risk letting him have a job too
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 20th Dec 2004 at 9:30 PM
Great idea! Thanks.
Test Subject
#67 Old 20th Dec 2004 at 10:18 PM
There is only one bug that i found with this hack and that is you cannot teach toddlers how to walk. The bar will show up and it will begin to fill up but it will decrease. Other than that excellent hack! Thanx
Test Subject
#68 Old 21st Dec 2004 at 1:07 AM
Thanks JenFlower
Test Subject
#69 Old 21st Dec 2004 at 6:54 AM
Shawty2102004, are you sure it's this hack? I've had that happen to me before, when I used the smart milk and the thinking cap at the same time. Also, I had it happen one other random time. Have you tried several times? With different families?
Field Researcher
#70 Old 21st Dec 2004 at 11:57 AM
Hi, just posting back to let you know that after about a weeks play this hack is still going well and I have no conflicts issues to report. All works well as far as I can see and wouldn't dream of playing Sims2 without it now! Thanks so much for your hard work! Brilliant modification that should be standard in the game!
Test Subject
#71 Old 21st Dec 2004 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jenflower
Question to you all: should I keep it like this or should I change it so that the increase only occurs for an A+ student?

No, when I was a kid, I got A's or A minuses and I found homework slightly fun. By the way, this is awesome! :bow2:
Test Subject
#72 Old 21st Dec 2004 at 9:35 PM
hehe, just exactly what I was asking for, some ages ago. Now you did it! Thanks a million!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#73 Old 21st Dec 2004 at 10:25 PM Last edited by Jenflower : 21st Dec 2004 at 10:31 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by shawty2102004
There is only one bug that i found with this hack and that is you cannot teach toddlers how to walk. The bar will show up and it will begin to fill up but it will decrease. Other than that excellent hack! Thanx

shawty2102004: I am pretty sure that is happening from something else. My hack doesn't even touch toddler learning and I just tested it with my game and the toddler bar fills as it normally should. MasterofSims might be correct in that this is just a random bug that occurs in the game...I do recall that there was an issue with the Smart Milk and the Thinking Cap...perhaps that is it?

I might be stating the obvious here, but in order to pinpoint whether a problem is caused by the hack or not, try doing the action with the hack in the downloads folder and then take out the hack and see if it still happens. Also test other houses if possible. This makes things a lot easier for the modders to know under what conditions these incidents occur.

In the meantime, if anyone else has had this happen to their toddlers and all evidence seems to indicate that my hack is doing this, please let me know. I'd be baffled :confused: but I'd do my darndest to try and fix it.
---------------------
Okay - it seems that everyone seems to be rather satisfied with the results so far...so , here are some questions:
- Is the speed too fast for anyone? Right now I have a +8 bonus for all A-, A and A+ students. Have any of you found that they complete their homework too quickly? I was thinking of maybe doing +2 for an A-, +4 for an A and a +6 or +8 for and A+. (Maybe the +6 and +8 could be based on their mood?) Just playing around with some ideas....

- Also, what should I do about the pop-up message that tells you when the child doesn't have homework? I personally like the message to appear when they don't have homework, but it sounded like some of you like to get the message when they do have it. I could make an alternate version that only gives the message if the child does have homework instead of when he/she doesn't.
Or, should I do both? Would that be too many pop-up messages if you have a house full of kids?

Okay - enough questions...I have to get back to work on my woohoo mod, but I'll check back to see what you think. Thanks all!
#74 Old 21st Dec 2004 at 11:57 PM
Love it.
Quote: Originally posted by Jenflower
I did have it at +6 for a while, but I like seeing homework done in a 1/2 hour, which the 8 gives.
But, thinking about it now, I think my problem is that I never really tested it with a child who has been taught how to study (+3 boost) and is being helped (+3 boost), which would give the student a final boost of 14 ... ack!

My son is 8 and he gets 3-4 pages of spelling homework and 2 pages of math a week, I make him finish it first thing when he gets home on Monday, because that leaves him with nothing left in the way of homework for the rest of the week and he can have fun. He is an A- average student, and it only takes him about 15 minutes to do all his work, 1/2 an hour if it is really challenging. I figure that if a real child can do it this fast, then a sim should be able to as well, unless they are all rather slow.

I like the +8 as it is...don't change a thing.
Test Subject
#75 Old 23rd Dec 2004 at 12:55 AM
wow this is realistic..
Page 3 of 10