Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 12:37 PM
Default a solution for " exporting world failed "
I got CAW recently and jumped headfirst into creating a world that would fit my gaming style the best.
Spent hours and hours figuring out how to use it and dolled up my world to high heavens.
Edit in game worked perfectly, added all the lots etc, it was ready to upload.

And then:

EXPORTING WORLD FAILED

Spent 2 weeks pulling my hair out, browsing through countless forums, trying to find a solution that would work,
You can find millions of answers to this problem, none worked for me.
Most answers are very vague, erase this, change that, but they just forget to tell you HOW, and WHERE is that
folder or file..

Except this very simple one that solved my problem:
Do NOT have CAW open while doing this.

1. Move your Custom Content to a temporary folder. ALL of it.
2. Make sure there is no CC left at the original place.
3. This means: move the downloads folder AND the packages folder (from the mods folder) into a temporary folder.
Remember where you had them because you will have to copy them back.

4. Go here: Documents / electronic arts / sims3

There is a folder called DCCache, open it, and erase EVERYTHING in it (yes everything!)
5. Go to the DCBackup folder, and delete everything!
6. At the same place ( point 4. ) there is a folder called World Caches, open it, and delete all the files with the name of the world you want to export.
7. Go to Installed Worlds folder and do the same.

8. When this is all cleaned up, open CAW, open your world, do the rerouting!
Rerouting: upper left corner of screen - view - rebuild routing data

9. Open your world in the " edit in game " to check if it works
When you open your world like this, first you will have to go to ' edit town ' (lower left corner: options menu - edit town)

10. If you want to edit: When it asks you to save or not, say just continue. It takes you to the session where you can edit your lots etc.
If you don't want to edit: just save it.
Once you saved it, it will drop you back to the CAW editor, and tells you in a window that the save was successful.
The ' edit in game ' is still open, just on your tray, click on it, and exit the game. (No need to save again, you just did a second ago, just exit)

11. If your ' edit in game ' worked, then SAVE your world in CAW, and CLOSE CURRENT WORLD.
(top left corner - file - close current world)

12. Now try the ' select world to export ', and it should do it without a problem.

13. Go here : Documents / electronic arts / sims3
There should be a folder called ' exports '
Open it and you should see your world.
Double click, and the sims 3 install window will come up. You might have to give a bit of time for it to happen..

14. If this is all done, put the downloads and packages folder where they were originally before you moved them.
You will have to rerun the install , but it is just to rearrange things back to their place (it will go fast, cause there is no
real need to install them, this is just the process of putting your files back.)
Just select ALL and install (don't skip this)
The only thing that will really install is the world

This has helped me, hope it works for others, though consider that yours might need a different solution.
The devil of digital things never sleeps and is always ready to cause trouble, as we know all too well...
But it's worth a try!
Good luck!

Hugs, Amy
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 20th Nov 2021 at 12:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by amallichetta
I got CAW recently and jumped headfirst into creating a world that would fit my gaming style the best.
Spent hours and hours figuring out how to use it and dolled up my world to high heavens.
Edit in game worked perfectly, added all the lots etc, it was ready to upload.

And then:

EXPORTING WORLD FAILED

Spent 2 weeks pulling my hair out, browsing through countless forums, trying to find a solution that would work,
You can find millions of answers to this problem, none worked for me.
Most answers are very vague, erase this, change that, but they just forget to tell you HOW, and WHERE is that
folder or file..

Except this very simple one that solved my problem:
Do NOT have CAW open while doing this.

1. Move your Custom Content to a temporary folder. ALL of it.
2. Make sure there is no CC left at the original place.
3. This means: move the downloads folder AND the packages folder (from the mods folder) into a temporary folder.
Remember where you had them because you will have to copy them back.

4. Go here: Documents / electronic arts / sims3

There is a folder called DCCache, open it, and erase EVERYTHING in it (yes everything!)
5. Go to the DCBackup folder, and delete everything!
6. At the same place ( point 4. ) there is a folder called World Caches, open it, and delete all the files with the name of the world you want to export.
7. Go to Installed Worlds folder and do the same.

8. When this is all cleaned up, open CAW, open your world, do the rerouting!
Rerouting: upper left corner of screen - view - rebuild routing data

9. Open your world in the " edit in game " to check if it works
When you open your world like this, first you will have to go to ' edit town ' (lower left corner: options menu - edit town)

10. If you want to edit: When it asks you to save or not, say just continue. It takes you to the session where you can edit your lots etc.
If you don't want to edit: just save it.
Once you saved it, it will drop you back to the CAW editor, and tells you in a window that the save was successful.
The ' edit in game ' is still open, just on your tray, click on it, and exit the game. (No need to save again, you just did a second ago, just exit)

11. If your ' edit in game ' worked, then SAVE your world in CAW, and CLOSE CURRENT WORLD.
(top left corner - file - close current world)

12. Now try the ' select world to export ', and it should do it without a problem.

13. Go here : Documents / electronic arts / sims3
There should be a folder called ' exports '
Open it and you should see your world.
Double click, and the sims 3 install window will come up. You might have to give a bit of time for it to happen..

14. If this is all done, put the downloads and packages folder where they were originally before you moved them.
You will have to rerun the install , but it is just to rearrange things back to their place (it will go fast, cause there is no
real need to install them, this is just the process of putting your files back.)
Just select ALL and install (don't skip this)
The only thing that will really install is the world

This has helped me, hope it works for others, though consider that yours might need a different solution.
The devil of digital things never sleeps and is always ready to cause trouble, as we know all too well...
But it's worth a try!
Good luck!

Hugs, Amy

Thank you so much !!!! you save me <3
Scholar
#3 Old 20th Nov 2021 at 8:48 PM
Thanks. I might get back to CAW now. It was the 'Exporting World Failed' message that made me give up on it. The program didn't run very well on the computer I was using at the time anyway, but I persevered and created a small world just to test things out. That was as far as I ever got. I figured it would be a waste of time me starting a bigger project, putting in all that work, just to be confronted with the same message again.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Nov 2021 at 10:37 PM
When I had some issues lately instead of making all those changes to my game I just renamed it and generated a totally clean game. That way I knew there was nothing in my game that was causing the problem I had.